Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,652 stories
Comments ( 115 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 115
vren55
Group Admin

Rarity’s Design an Alicorn OC to be overseen by Kolwynia (though Inky can participate

Alicorn OCs are sues? Really... join this campfire to find a way to design an alicorn OC, that is not a Mary Sue. Or even share your own alicorn OCs. Who knows? Perhaps the alicorn OC you create here will be the star of some AWESOME STORY that'll hit featured box.

Rules:
1. Keep it civil, no slurs, no saucy images, no insults. "If you test me, you will fail." - Hikaru Sulu
2. Remember, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. This is the internet after all.
3. If you plan to use someone's character in your own story. ASK FOR PERMISSION!!!!!
4. Have fun!

Luz

Red and Black alicorns.

1398370 They can work! The key is an interesting character to go with that spiffy design.:rainbowdetermined2:

Unfortunately, readers tend to be biased against alicorn OCs, so writers who want to have them in their story have to work twice as hard.

(Inky Jay's story is actually a good example of such an OC done right.)

Luz

It is very rare that a red and black character would work in a story since they're related to trollfics and really bad oriented authors. I've seen various stories in which the author managed to characterize a alicorn OC correctly, but just as you said, it's double the work.

1398313 It's simple, just don't give them power over everything.

If possible make them a regular unicorn who just happens to possess wings and farming ability.

Work from that.

1398498>>1398511 It helps if there's an actual plot-related reason for the character to be an alicorn, which are really rare on the show.

vren55
Group Admin

1398511 ... problem is that alicorns by rule are more powerful than ponies or else they aren't alicorns . I mean the only canon alicorns we've seen are:

Celestia More powerful than average pony
Luna More powerful than average pony
Cadance More powerful than average pony (she held up an entire shield for herself against SOMBRA)
Twilight Obviously more powerful than average pony

1398568 And three of those alicorns are used in the correct way i.e. they keep to the background and don't hog the limelight.

1398568 There's actually a lot of potential to play with the mythology. (Educated Guess has a great alicorn OC story that springs to mind.)

I mean, even something like the Alicorn Amulet... why was it made? The questions are an invitation for creative fans to come up with interesting possible answers.

vren55
Group Admin

1398611 Point taken

1398591 But alicorns have been proven to be main characters in stories... just not OC ones.

My own story Princess Celestia: The CHangeling Queen for example and other stories such as My Little Alicorn.

1398642 The more OC they have in them the greater the tendency for them to become sues. If it's a canon character the author is more likely to treat them as another character whereas a pet OC character might start getting special treatment.

I like to imagine there are a dozen or so Twi/Cadence-level alicorns who act as ambassadors to other nations, or act as high-ranking ministers.

I'll probably put a few OCs together if I get the guts to try it, for a fic that would involve them as minor characters. (The massive anti-alicorn-OC sentiment makes me think it might be a mistake, but maybe I'll change my mind eventually.)

Out of the forty stories I have planned not one of them has an Alicorn OC. Well, some of them have one of the characters, being an OC of mine, becomes an Alicorn for a short while after gaining an extreme amount of power, but aside from that, nah, I don't really delve into that. I think it's more fun to have your character be as weak and mortal as others and then watch as they slowly become stronger and stronger until they hit their limit, if any. But seeing a good alicorn OC is very impressive.

1398313>>1398410

The way i see it is that you have to be absolutely sure that the character needs to be an alicorn. Beyond that, an easy way to fail is that this person's character revolves around be an alicorn. It should be that what defines the character is the character!
Key example, the MC in a story of mine has a sibbling that is an alicorn, but the way i right her is the fact that its his baby sister.

Other than that, power is simply through the product possibilities curve (or the laffer curve). For the ammount of power they have, they need less attention and vice versa.

Are all OC Alicorns Sues? No, not even if they have black and red coloring. Are most Sue? Most likely.

I have made an OC Alicorn, and most would probably think she is a Sue since she is related to canon characters, has a tragic backstory, a odd name, and a off coloring (funny since she looks more like a normal horse). That's pretty much the only reason I haven't written a story about her.

I'm with Z and Dance on this,

1401420 1401288 1398313

Personally I think everyone should make at least one alicorn OC so they can see and experiment on how to make the character likable as well as getting a good feel on how powerful they be believably.

And there is some who shouldn't even been allowed near OC Alicorns, while it may have been done by a troll I think I may have found something worse than the balck and red OC Alicorn.

1408015 something worse?

... Here, I am not going to write her name nor am I going to show the eyesore that is the picture. Again I do not know if the creator is serious or is a troll

vren55
Group Admin

1406524 lets do this 1398511 1398552 1399031 1400067 1401288 1398498

Hey! That applies to you guys too. Let's each make an OC alicorn by August 3rd and discuss whether they work.

1408144 Ahaahahaha! Oh god you're serious. Well then...you now know who's going to have the worst OC!

Will be interesting to see, also here are some links that may help, thanks to TVTropes
Avoid Writing a Mary Sue
Common Mary Sue Traits
Not necessarily, we could very well see who puts the most amount of effort into making their OC

1408190 Yeah, I guess. And thanks for the Mary Sue TVTropes pages. They actually helped me fix some stuff out with other stories as well as with the Alicorn OC.

You're welcome, TVTropes has one of the best fanfiction guides I have found

1408299 Never heard of it until now. Well then, onto the alicorn OCs?

You've never heard of TVTropes? You poor man, be prepared to waste many of hours skimming the site.

So yes Alicorn OCs...

1408144 Well, first we need a good solid name, one that doesn't sound too pretentious...

...I suggest Nocturne Shadowhorn. :trollestia:

Okay, kidding aside, I think it depends on our personal ideas about alicorns. How many of them are there, really? I actually only think there are four, but I suspect the show will eventually show some more. (Like, maybe five more, if Hasbro has its way...:trixieshiftleft:)

Hey, I just realized... I've already created an alicorn OC! I totally forgot about her! She's in my very first fanfic. I envisioned Celestia as being one of four sisters who guard the heavens. There was Celestia, the princess of the sun, Luna, the princess of the moon, Astra, the princess of space (who turns out to be a certain canon character), and Stella, princess of the stars.

I might have gotten away with her because she wasn't the main character, and she was an antagonist. At least, no one ever complained about her...

1408190 Ugh. TV Tropes... the death of sleep...:twilightblush: (But yeah, that site is really helpful.)

1408082 Oh God. My eyes!

1408144 Make a whole new one or would pre-existing ones count? Which reminds me, I need to edit IH more. A fellow author went a little overboard on one of the characters, so I'm still trying to level her out.

I have an alicorn character. Offspring of main characters, yes, but that was because they were the main characters of the story in question. And so they continued to be. I don't see how that automatically makes her 'sue-ish'.

1408531 It immediately puts her into a loving relationship with some of the main characters of the show without having to do anything to earn that love and affection. Mary Sues are very much about relationships, either romantic or familial and are even worse about soaking in love than the worst of changelings. And that's just one aspect.

1408542 Evil bastard.

1408144>>1408493>>1408370>>1401288>>1398511>>1398498

I think in the tradition of Alicorn OCs, we need to use a pony generator to bring our abominations creations to life.

Yeah, that's not how I went with her at all. It ended with arguing over how she only came to be 'to fill an inconvenient gap', and other existential crisis subjects. Oh well, I tried.

You did ask to see it, so what do you think trolling or serious?

1408608 I'm pretty sure trolling. Too over the top to be genuine.

Kind reminds me of....him

You may have a point, I have yet to see a Sue that has a serous skin condition.

I hesitate to ask... who is this him that you speak of?

1408608 1408493 1408370 1408144 1401288

Here's my totally insincere joke character submission. Don't worry I'll take the real attempt more seriously.

I call him Pudge despite cranking the buffness bar up to eleven.

... well not the worse think I have seen....

1408691 He is...Tiara Ultima!

Jesus Christ. Despite the shitty artwork, this character is more over-designed than fucking War from the first Darksiders who was best described as a coral reef with legs.

Overdesigned, stupid name, and as far as I can tell, being played totally straight. Hold me. *sobs*

... Well... at least he doesn't have a horrible skin condition... now if you excuse me I should do a write up for Sejr...Concordia in Heaven, I thought I've seen it all...

1408701 is there any reason why he's jewish?

1408778 For no other reason than I thought he needed a fez.

Would it be too Mary Sue if I made my OC the daughter of the lord of Tartarus? She'd still be an Alicorn, but she'd have two forms, thanks to her Changeling mother, that would be a skeletal form and a pony form, however, in the skeletal form she has more magical power but loses the ability of flight and in her pony form she has just as much magical power as a normal everyday unicorn but can also fly. (Was already answered, yeah I see it's too Mary Sue)

...err.... according to my Magic 8 Ball... You Can Count on It

1409936 Well there goes that idea! Though I do see the reasoning now looking back on it...

Hingard
Group Admin

I have a Alicorn of my own, however she's tied to one of my stories and hasn't been reveled yet. But I think a good way to create an OC is to try and have them start with humble beginnings. Rather then have them be apart of royalty or someone famous.

1409936 Do you think it's possible for me to keep the skeletal pony thing, because I was starting to like the idea... But it may be too much Mary Sue like...

Along as she remembers that periodically she will have to refasten the wires holding her limbs together

1410158 Sarcasm I'm guessing. It's hard to tell in comments, though, I have seen fics that use skeletal ponies before. Only Bone Deep for example. And I don't see why there has to be wires holding her together. There aren't any wires holding Timberwolves together and they are just hunks of wood that can reassemble themselves after being smashed to bits.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 115