Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

well i've been trying to write a fic for about 3 months now but I don't have enough time to do so. I've tried doing it once but when I tried to save what I wrote it didn't save it, and I had written like half the chapter.

Um, don't?

That's uh... that's pretty much all I can say about that. There's just too much margin for error and not enough ability to control your quality with a phone. Netbook or larger.

Yeah. Don't. Use a real keyboard, with access to spellcheck, and a nice big screen to read.

I write a lot of stuff on my phone. The Google drive app works well. And it autosaves.
But you do need to check it on a computer before posting.

You realize, writing is going to take even longer if you're doing it on a phone. Trying to save time this way is the opposite of productive.

Not only is your WPM way way higher on a keyboard (and if it isn't learning to touch-type will be a valuable investment of your time), but the reduced error and ability to look up at what you just wrote more than a few words back is really worth it. Try to set aside some time to write each day.

Also, I totally have used my laptop on a bus, that isn't so bad for a mobile solution.:twilightsheepish:

... Don't. The phone is hardly an adequate device when it comes to creating a story.
Why, even the archaic pencil and paper are superior. At least THAT doesn't delete itself in one go.

Please don't. Particular if you plan on picking up a proofreader. You shouldn't want to put anybody through that, because no matter how much you look things over, there'll always be many issues remaining. There's far too much room for error.

On a similar note, also avoid iPods, PSP's, and for the love of god stay away from your 3DS. I've seen them all, and they're not pretty.

995770 well I dont have any of those so I dont know if thats good or bad...

and well just take in mind that my situation is use phone or dont write :(

995845 I write on my phone (every since my hard drive died) so I feel your pain. Typing on a phone is tough, but practice helps (it also matters what kind of phone you are using) and I'm not much slower now on my phone than my keyboard, for initial typing.

Proofreading, however, is a bitch. You have to watch autocorrect like a hawk, and you have to shut off the keyboard and re-read everything. If you know a good way to move the cursor around to fix errors, let me know.

It would probably be best to use a bigger device to proofread before you send anything to pre-readers, if that's in any way an option. I use the public library, and that works well if you can proof quickly. Borrowing a friend's machine might also be an option. If you're really nice, you might even get a prereader who understands your plight and will help you with that.

Really, it just takes a little extra diligence, but it's not impossible. It's also nice to have the ability to write wherever you happen to be when an idea strikes.

Sent from my iPhone. :ajsmug:

EDIT: all the advice I have for typing on a phone is stuff you should be doing anyway. Proofreading is sentence-by-sentence if you're serious about it.

995898 well thaks, I myself am not a bad (typer?) the problem is that english is not my first language so I guess i'll have to use word to proofread it for me if I have a chance.

I use a phone with 3.5 In.screen so I guess its not bad huh. Also I'm gonna se if I can find an app to write on and store the doc in my phone cuz I dont trust my phone's internet conection.

Get a pen and. A notebook and have at 'er. Much better way to go. Then just transfer it to computer in your spare time.

If you really are a fast typer on a phone, I see no problem with writing out a rough draft on a phone. But if you do that, I would strongly advise you to do the following two things to make your and your editor's lives easier:

I'm assuming you're using a smart phone. Write it out in an email to yourself. When you're done, send it to yourself. This prevents it from getting deleted.

When you get home, copy over the email to a word document and edit it and format it correctly.

If you do those two things, I don't see a problem with generating the first draft on a phone.

996138>>996474 I'm currently experimenting with google drive for iPhone. Will let you all know how it turns out.

Also, if English isn't your first language you want to find the right prereader. English has very difficult grammar, much more so that any other language I can think of (and I studied linguistics at college). Someone who knows a little about your native tongue might help.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15