World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 35 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 35

This picture is pretty self explanatory. I for one think it's very likely, so what would be the repercussions of this? And is this spell really a bad thing? Does it only affect the Elements?

EDIT: For all joining the conversation now, I'm sorry but the picture isn't showing up in this comment. You can find it here http://imgur.com/VeVgGCQ Or you can just scroll down a bit. Again, sorry.

This picture is pretty self explanatory.

I see a little piece of paper with a hill and a cloud. That's very self explanatory.

And I have a feeling that I am really not going to like what I see either... and I still want to know

On what? Not going to like what we see, or wanting to see it anyway?

Professor Plum
Group Admin

1574628>>1574636 Right click the image, choose Open image in new tab

1574548 I'm sorry, but I don't buy into that theory at all. Celestia is the colour of the day (bright, white with pastel colours), and Luna the colour of night (mixed blues, greens and blacks). The Elements switched cutie marks under the spell, true, but not colours, so why would Luna be night coloured if her skill was day-related? For that matter, her name's Luna for crying out loud. Literally translates to Moon. Why else would she be called that if not to raise the moon?

Also:

Nightmare Moon is to Luna as Pinkamena is to Pinkie

Nooooope. Pinkie got sad and her hair went flat. Luna's freaking skin changed colour, as well as her voice and personality taking a marked shift. Superficial changes for one, massive physical and mental changes for the other.

And, of course, it fails to explain why Luna or Celestia are Alicorns. And the existence of Cadence, too.

So no, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that thing at all :applejackunsure:

Right click what? There is nothing for me to right click other than text.

Professor Plum
Group Admin

For me, there's a little "Image failed to load" logo there.
Here's what he meant to link you to

Yeah... I'm with 1574651 on this I don't agree with it at all. With Cadence if that story book is taken a full canon her Ascension did not use Star Swirl's spell. I'm sorry I don't by it at all.

Thanks

Fix the picture. Someone else linked to it, but that shouldn't have to be so.

Anyways, I don't really see what it would imply. Heck, I take the whole finale with a grain of salt, mainly because it makes no sense (yet, but it should have made sense NOW). The theory would only mean that Luna was used to being lauded as the sun princess, but then becoming the boring moon one made her go crazy. But the spell didn't change anyone's name or appearance, so it would have been kind of strange for Luna the dark alicorn to be the sun princess originally, unless there was some inverse theme going on. Yeah, as long as I finagle Twilight a pair of wings, I'm inclined to ignore what the episode implied.

I'm pretty sure Crystal Heart Spell is canon, just like the comics are. So yes, that's another strike on the theory. With Cadance's backstory in mind, it implies the spell wasn't made for becoming an alicorn, but the act of completing it is (which I'm sure he knew full well). You could argue that it switches the destinies of a certain group of individuals who are tied to some magical conductor, like the elements. Which still makes no sense.

There is canon and then there is Canon, but yes it is a strike.

1574754 Well, considering that Luna is the name of Earth's moon, and Celestial means solar...

:I

Unless we start to go into twisted linguistics theories that the word "Luna" used to be the word related to sun or something until Star Swirl screwed up and popular convention over a few decades changed its meaning.

.....yeah, let's just stick with Occam's Razor.

So the sun princess is named "Luna" because...?

EDIT: Ninja'd. Besides, for all we know Starswirl's spell doesn't have the exact same effect each time. Faulty spells tend to do that.

Pointless thread is pointless.
Just wait for the bloody episode to come around.
It will only be a few more weeks before all is revealed.

Nothing has been gained from this discussion.

Also if the spell is what caused Luna to go nutbars then why does Celestia seem perfectly sane?

Professor Plum
Group Admin

Celestia actually comes from the latin for Heaven.

Hence why the sun/stars are called Celestial Bodies.

If I remember correctly Mrs. Faust's original name for her was supposed to be Solaris or something like that.

So... what's the verdict then?

1575107 Well, after reading it, it actually isn't too bad. So I guess the verdict is "Good".:ajsmug::twilightsmile:

Sorry to all who couldn't see the picture, I'm having technology issues today :applejackconfused:

1574651 Alright many things.
1) The names thing is a whole new can of worms and while that is a relevant point I cannot really counter it without going into headcannon territory. Where this thread really is, but the name thing is mainly for ponies and this group isn't.
2) I honestly don't think colors have anything to do with Cutie Marks. For example; Lyra, unless I'm mistaken green has nothing to do with lyres. Rarity, whether you think her talent is finding gems or making clothes white and purple have nothing to do with either. Rainbow Dash, What does rainbow colors and blue have to do with one's speed? Twilight, I'm not sure magic has a color to represent it. Fluttershy, pink and yellow don't seem to be related to communicating with animals.
3) My apologies I meant the title of this to mean Celestia and Luna with nothing to do with the others. I wonder if I can change it.
4) The Luna to Nightmaremoon thing could easily be explained by the fact that they are much more magical than Pinkie. Physical changes can occur when psychological changes do. Like when Twilight became a ponyta near the end of Feeling Pinkie Keen. Just ramped up a couple thousand sine they're alicorns.
5) This doesn't have to do with ascension.

1574697 I'm not trying to say that they ascended by the spell. The mane six didn't when the spell was cast on them.

1574717 What I meant was what would happen if they were incorrectly doing each others talents? Extreme environmental chaos due to a lack or excess of sunlight, maybe?

1574932 Again the name thing. But yes, the edit brings up some good questions! As in, if what happened when Twilight cast the spell wasn't what happened when Star Swirl cast it then what did it do?

1574960 Only Pinkie went bonkers when the spell was cast on the mane six.

Now, I really need to rename this.

It all depends on the mechanics of their sun and moon thing. If the planet is geocentric, and the moon and sun are the same size, there would be no change. If it's like Earth (that's my headcanon), there are two ways it could go: 1) Luna moves the sun originally; therefor, the sun isn't getting enough power to move, while the moon is flying at super speeds because too much power, or 2) my headcanon that Celestia (in this case, Luna) moves the Earth, or rather turns it; Celestia wouldn't know how to properly pace the planet's rotation, while Luna wouldn't know how to plan the Moon's orbit. That's all I got.

Let me try to explain the color thing. Their coat colors are closely associated with their domains, Luna's being the most obvious since it is usually called midnight-blue. While white is usually associated with day. For the Sisters (and Cadence and most likely Twilight as well) their coloring is far more symbolic than normal ponies.

Remember that the other four had problems as well, and Pinkie didn't really go "Pinkamina" during the finale.

I'm going to be honest with you, the creator of the strip probably went deep into fanon and headcanon territory with it.

1575482 Good point with the colors part. Also, most if not all of this groups threads are fannon, but yes probably. As for the Pinkamina part, the only defense I can come up with is that if she was the ruler of the day then Luna would have gotten as much praise as Celestia and after the spell she felt a lack of the abundance of appreciation she had before and got envious. Not much of a defense, I know, but it's all I could come up with on the spot.

In some cases I tend to pick up on symbolism, and it's pretty obvious what it is with the Sisters.

As for the defense thing... yeah it's not much, and unfortunately I can't help to think that it will be used as an excuse to bash Celestia

1575607 There are so many reasons out there to bash her with, who cares about another that isn't really effective unless all in the conversation know about and support this idea?

Since this part of the thread seems to have died, how about more focus on the spell? How about a top five reasons why this spell was a bad idea since the beginning, or if you think it was a good idea then a top five reasons for that? Also, why did he start creating this spell in the first place, was there something a tad sinister behind it?

I'm actually working on a fic behind this exact idea. In it, Starswirl is a genius at magical theory, but can't cast a spell to save his life. So he tries to devise a spell to change his destiny and grant him magical power. This ends up causing problems when, as usual, messing around with things Mortals Were Not Meant To Know doesn't go as planned, setting off the adventure.

It's an amusing bit of overthinking, but my reaction is "nah".

Assuming that Celestia and Luna were already alicorns, I doubt their destinies were amenable to being swapped around. Furthermore, when Twilight used the spell, the EoH were in close proximity; this assumes the same happened with C & L for no particular reason.

Fun little theory. Crack speculation like this is why I love the fandom :twilightsmile:

Also, consider making that image link more obvious. And an actual link.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 35