Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Character - Genocidal Fascists
Real Life - "They don't deserve redemption."

Character - Gone Insane From Abuse/Neglect 
Real Life - "They need psychiatric help."

Character - Hitlers, Terrorists, and Petty Villains
Real Life - "They don't deserve redemption."

Character - Abuse Victims, Well-Intentioned Extremists, Noble Anti-Villains, and Very Minor Threats
Real Life - "They do deserve redemption."

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? If so, let me why by either replying to this thread or via PM. Have a great day.

Pretty much the human race in a nut shell.

one doesn't 'deserve' redemption.
One EARNS redemption.

Redemption is something earned through hard work, tears, pain, blood and sweat, the worse your crime, the more you need to go through to earn it.

A rather black-and-white point of view that neglects character complexity. According to this chart of yours, would a terrorist who is also an abuse victim deserve redemption or not? See the issue?

I disagree. There are many abuse victims both in real-life and in fiction (hence the Freudian Excuse is No Excuse trope) that went through the same things terrorists and criminals with equally bad childhoods went through and yet didn't turn out like them.

Also, like 7623424 said, redemption is something that needs to be earned (which is why I despise Starlight Glimmer with a passion).

I am mixed on Starlight personally.
At first she was just forgiven without any good reason beyond 'FRIENDSHIP'. That is just bad writing.
But as the show went on, they really showed her desire to improve, her working towards it, but not being perfect at it either, and she truly did earn her redemption by saving Equestria from Chrysalis.

It really sort of depends on what they've done, not just what's been done to them.
And character redemption is also dependent on how far one is willing to go for it.

This is a chart trying to cover a very complicated psychological issue with simple, blunt words. Ooookay...You clearly haven't passed 10th grade in school bud.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8