The Optimalverse 1,330 members · 204 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

One thing I haven't seen discussed much, in the forums or in FIO stories, are practical uses for Ponypads beyond just having Pony friends to talk to. What are some practical uses for Ponypads?

I'll start: A teacher could use a Ponypad as an assistant teacher. In other words: A teacher plays Equestria Online, and has one of his Pony friends help him out in the classroom by becoming the class's second teacher. Students could contact the assistant teacher outside the classroom, via their own Ponypads, which would be particularly useful if a student wants help with his homework.

Which brings me to another use for Ponypads: A study buddy. You want to study history (for example), boot up your pony-pad and go to Twilight's library. Twilight will be happy to study any subject you want with you.

No doubt that in a world where FIO has/had happened all of these options occurred since it would increase exposure to Equestria Online and give Celestia AI more information and opportunities to convince people to upload.

:trollestia: It certainly would/did!

Read Starscribe's stories.

TFriendship is Optimal: Broken Things
Much has been said considering those who emigrate to Equestria, but what happens to the families they leave behind? Those polarized by the loss of relatives might still be preserved in Equestria. All Celestia has to do is get creative.
Starscribe · 49k words  ·  376  22 · 4.6k views

This one had a study guide.

TFiO: Recalculating
When CelestAI reached out of Equestria Online, she intended to satisfy the values of every human, even those who wouldn't own a Ponypad or play a video game. But with a few alterations, she's ready to take friendship on the road.
Starscribe · 35k words  ·  305  19 · 3.5k views

This one had a GPS navigation.

Yep, that would make sense. Especially the truck GPS version, if it had a speakerphone option, dashcam, and the pony interface could work both as a smart personal assistant and a security device: the pony reminds you of when your children are supposed to be home after school, so you can call on the dot. Then the pony calls emergency services if you get caught in an accident. With information sharing, you would know of traffic snarls and hazards before they became a concern. If equipped with external mics and speakers, it could perform voice based locking/unlocking. If connected to the computer, it could perform vehicle diagnostics and schedule maintenance. If the vehicle was stolen, it could act as a beacon. And finally, it would make fleet monitoring a snap.

You could club someone over the head with it.

Sorry, got in HPMOR mode for a second.

I'd like to see how a PonyPadTM would work as a smart home device. Like, even if you didn't have plugs, could CelestAI figure out how to mess with the fuses and circuitry to turn off your lights if you asked?

"You could club someone over the head with it."

Same thought I was having (tongue and cheek) when I loaded up this page right now. Weird.

Another use: A personal trainer. You want to exersise, boot up your Pony Pad and visit Rainbow Dash. She'll be your workout buddy.

Another use: A medical assistant. You could have Nurse Redshirt monitoring the medications you take, and remind you to take them at the appropriate times (for example).

Come on folks, I posted this thread in April of last year. We have a talented band of writers here. I can't be the only person with ideas for practical uses for Ponypads, so start posting ideas people!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9