Christian Bronies 983 members · 236 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

One thing that always comes along every so often, people claiming the end of the world is near. What I would love to know is why people are so obsessed with the end of the world. Let me start out by saying something,

To be honest, the end of the world would mean the actual end of the planet, which is billions of years down the world.

Now if they are talking about the world no longer becoming habitable, it will either be once we screw it up bad enough it becomes too toxic or when the sun is burning hot enough (it burns 10% hotter every billion years) that the habitable zone will push out beyond our orbit.

But, in many instances they are talking about the end of humanity, the end of man. Now to me that is one of those things that makes no sense. The earth existed for billions of years before we existed and it will continue to exist for billions of years afterwards.

Here is a fun fact, as the sun continues to fuse 4 hydrogen atoms into 1 helium atom in its core, it loses mass and thus it loses its gravitational pull. While this is highly unlikely, some scientists actually theorize that the earth may survive the sun's red giant phase after it exhausts its supply of hydrogen. So who knows, the earth may exist well beyond the death of the sun.

It is things like that that cause me to laugh every time someone comes out and claims "The end is near." What are your thoughts on this, your thoughts on what "The end of the world" means?

End of the world is just the point at which the world is no longer fit for biological habitation, if you ask a materialist like me, whether it's from our own doing or an asteriod that gets lucky or a rogue RKKV from a super advanced alien species somewhere else in the galaxy!

Stuff like Armageddon or the apocalypse have been continuously predicted and shown laughably false like this for around 2,000 years now. Any new claim made on religious grounds today is gonna be no different.

I only have one thing to say about the 'End of Humanity':

Born far too late to witness the beginning; seeing it end is the only thing comparable to it.
I'd rather not experience the eve of extinction...but if that's how it goes; there is something to be said about seeing 'farewell shows' before an act gets retired.

The end times talk about the end of humanity, but the earth? Eh, it's not really alive right? Nobody ever cried over a lost stone.

I personally think that Humanity has a... less-than-healthy emphasis on the End of things. I mean, acknowledging that everything is going to end at some point can give some good perspective. The Problem is that Humanity is obsessed with it's own mortality, and focuses more on it's future end rather than living in the present.

The World will End when it Ends. What is most important is what we do with the time we've been allotted.

For Christians in particular, there is a general preoccupation with the End Times because of the Dispensationalist interpretation of Revelation that has been popular since the 1800s. Personally, I am now a preterist and no longer think that Revelation necessarily deals with the literal end times, so the end times aren't something I think about very often or dwell on.

You also have to remember that only God Himself knows when the world will end. Neither the Son or the Angels know when it occurs, only the Father.

I just think that the world will end when it ends, and there's really no need to speculate about it and try to claim we're in the "end times" just because horrible stuff is shown on the news. I do believe that Christ will return again, and that there might be some sort of millennial kingdom, but I'm not a dispensationalist, so eschatology isn't something I focus on very much at all. I'm not into Left Behind or prophecy conferences or other things like that.

Well, at the very least, it's nothing new, nor is it confined to Christianity. People of all religions have been prophesying about the end of the world for thousands of years, to varying degrees of justification. I suppose I can't blame anyone living during the Black Death or extreme weather events like in 535-536 and the Little Ice Age for thinking the world was close to the end, because they had no way of knowing that those were natural disasters and not the wrath of God.

Still, given that the last decade has seen numerous claims of impending Armageddon despite being relatively uneventful, I think there's something to be said for certain people simply being obsessed with death and destruction. Maybe the idea of the world ending during their lifetimes makes them feel important?

The Bible itself states that no one will know the day or hour the world will end, not even the Angels, so when someone says it's going to be the end of the world at X Y and Z, I don't bother with it. If the world ends, it ends. Worrying about when is pretty much a time waster. Enjoy the present. That's my take!

Pretty much what I am trying to say is that these "End of the World" folks are completely out of their minds. I know this will be an extremely unpopular opinion around here but I tend to stick to science when it comes to the end game for everything.

I don't understand the folks that yell in the streets, but I'm like hey, if that's what you feel like doing. And I don't think these people will mind. All folks with different beliefs can speak their minds here. :pinkiesmile:

Well if i recall about the "End Times" in the Book of Revelations in the Bible.... We may not the day or the hour, but we can see its coming with the seasons. This is also where most Doomsday predictions get their "prophecies" but are false because there are so much more in the Bible itself.

I suggest this channel from youtube i found last year. He is very thorough and plain about the subjects. I'll leave some videos for those who wish to see. He also spoke about the Millenial Kingdom established by Christ the King after His Second Coming, and more.

https://m.

Honestly, those videos look like the usual sensationalist stuff saying such-and-such event from history was a fulfillment of Bible prophecy or that current events in the news are signs of the end times. I question the validity of many of these so-called "prophets" and have no interest in their prophecy seminars. I think it's better to stick with orthodox teaching instead of sensationlism.

Have you gone through the videos before making a decision? He also acknowledges that his presentation is not set in stone in regards WHEN the End Times will come. But he gives a very good explanation of what events wilk happen during those times, and he still has more videos to come about it as he is tackling it with many details.

I didn't need to watch these, because I've seen many others like it. The usual thing with clickbait titles like "666 Revealed" or "Such-and-such thing that everyone MUST see" or "Absolute proof that we're living in the end times". You've seen one of those kinds of videos, then you've seen them all.

666 refers to Emperor Nero's name written in greek as Kaiser Neron, who prosecuted the first christians in large numbers. In the Book of Revelations, someone like him shall appear in the End Times.

What did those videos you've watched have shown? If you wish to share.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17