This group began as a place for the mods and contributors of Thirty Minute Ponies, a tumblr dedicated to Friendship is Magic flash fiction. The original blog itself had a great run - almost two years and five hundred seventy two prompts. Unfortunately, the original TMP is now closed.
But a handful of its regular contributors remain here, keeping the legacy going. Each week on Thursday, a new prompt is posted here as a discussion thread in the forum. Anyone is welcome to take a look, think about it as long as they like, and then spend thirty minutes writing a story to post in response. Whoever posted the prompt will give you some feedback. It's all meant to be very lightweight and informal.
There are a few rules to keep in mind when you write. Many of them have some wiggle-room to them; this place is meant to get people writing, not scare them away from it, after all. PM me (Esle Ynopemos) if you have any questions at all.
- Prompts, unless otherwise noted, are thirty-minute prompts. This means you have thirty minutes from the first word you write to the last one. You may take all the time you need beforehand to think and plan (and I do mean all the time you need. The prompt remains open forever. You don't have to write your story the same day the prompt goes up). Once you've started writing, though, the timer begins.
- Subversions are fine. Encouraged, even. If the prompt is, say, "running for office," and you write a story about a pony literally running in order to get an actual office, then that will fit the prompt just fine.
- Stories must be MLP-related. This rule is a bit more obvious here on FimFic than it was on the tumblr blog, but it stands in either case. If it isn't pony, don't post it here.
- 2,000 words is the maximum. For one thing, two thousand words in thirty minutes is really hauling. I don't doubt there's people out there who can do it, but generally it strains credulity with the honor system we have for enforcing the thirty-minute rule. And secondly, mods do have lives outside of here. We love reading what you folks write, but we don't have the time for it if everyone posts a novel.
- Stories must be safe for work. This one is bolded because it's extra important. We are a SFW group, and we can't have NSFW content here. Sorry.
- Last but not least, have fun!
Hope that helps, and I hope you'll join us. Thirty Minute Ponies may be gone, but its legacy lives on!
P.S. - If you would like to see the old blog and the thousands upon thousands of words' worth of stories people wrote for it, check it out at Thirty Minute Ponies.