Star Wars 1,561 members · 289 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33

I want to execpt Episode VII into the Star Wars family. There was just alot about the film that didn't sit right with me. I'm sure alot of that will change once we get more answers from the future at how Ray is so powerful at such a early stage of this trillogy. Everone else seems to love it. I don't know why me or my cousin can't. It just felt so forced, so lazy. Please help me :fluttercry:

4934885 Let's not forget that Darth Vader was incredibly powerful in "A New Hope". He could force choke someone from across the room, could sense the presence of Obi-Wan aboard a huge battle station, and would've destroyed Luke and R2-D2 if Han Solo hadn't struck one of his Tie Fighters, allowing Luke the small window needed to make the one in a million shot. And that was before we knew he was Luke's father, and before Luke was even training to become a Jedi.

4934906 Darth Vader was more justified as he had decades of training.

4934913 Ray was trained in the arts of the Jedi by Luke, then seduced by the Dark Side and went rouge, likely catching the Jedi in training off guard. Luke probably held back since much like with Palpetine he couldn't bring himself to strike down the face of evil, even if it would be for the greater good. And Ray then joined the First Order, and his training likely took place within the span of how ever many years passed after Luke exiled himself, and the fall of Coursecant.

Rey is powerful, but not that powerful yet. She can hold out against Kylo because he is unbalanced, given to anger much more easily than Anakin ever was. That's why she can get easily win out against him. If he had been more focused, Rey wouldn't win in any way. But luckily he is easily distracted, and easily unbalanced, so Rey had much hope.

4934934 Your right. Ren is third act episode III Anakin with no calm to his anger. This makes him powerful but sloppy. Also, getting shot with a Wookie crossbow must hurt like Mustifar. I'm going to see the movie again with my father I think. Apparently there was alot of stuff I missed.

Apparently Ewen McGregor did a voice cameo and I didn't even realize it. They spliced Alec Gunissess voice from the OT to say "Ray" and had Ewen finsh by saying "these are your first steps."

4934934 Also the fact that Kylo was gut-shot by Chewie's Bowcaster, which made Stormtroopers cartwheel when they were hit.

They explicitly say, especially the fucking title of the movie, that the Force is getting stronger. Also, it's heavily hinted Rey is Luke's daughter, just as Ren is Leia's son.

4934971 Well we'll have to find out if Rey is indeed Luke's son. I also thought of that, until I realized that she should have recognized Han and Leia as her uncle and aunt. She doesn't seem to recognize them. I do have another theory--she is the daughter of--wait for it--Ezra and Sabine. It's just speculation, but that would tie Rebels with the rest of the SW Universe, and won't make it look like the main characters there just went nowhere after it. But we will know if father and daughter did meet, or if there's something to having her as Ezra's daughter. Looking at Rey, she has the mechanical ability of Sabine and of course the Force from Ezra.

You're getting names mixed up. Your comment would be correct if you were talking about Kylo Ren. 4934885's concern about Rey being so powerful is that she appears to be an untrained scavenger with an affinity to the Force.

4935008 Kylo Ren was the best part of the movie. I think he's going to grow as villain and become much darker. He's still the Sith equivelant of a padawan.

Also, don't forget that (for those familiar with Star Wars: The Old Republic), Darth Malgus killed Jedi Master Kao Cen Darach as an apprentice of Darth Vindican when they retook Korriban. So he you can see a precedent to Rey, though on the Sith side. On the Jedi side, Satele Shan held out against Malgus even though she wasn't fully developed then, So Rey had some pretty good company.

4934885 Good to know I wasn't the only one that felt disappointed and let down.

4934885 I'm not so sure about that. As good as she was Ray was still sloppy. I think her ability to call on the Force was more a result of the desperate and stressful situations she was forced into then actual skill and once it started flowing she managed to get a rough idea on how to use it. She was always slow on the uptake if I remember.

Not sure if I agree Kylo Ren was the best part, at least at the end. Felt a bit too Severus Snape-ish near the end for me. Still, he was a hoot nearer to the beginning he was brilliant with his seance of humour, did not expect him to start making sarcastic comments about how the general's troops were well trained in the art of betrayal and sabotage. Overall preferred Fin more though, especially for his dynamic with Poe.

4934955 I think the thing comes with different settings, so more powerful shots mean reduced accuracy maybe? I know according to Legends time line that Chewie kept power cells in that belt of his to overcharge the thing.

4934885 The Force is strong in her family. Her grandfather had it, her father has it, her aunt has it, and her cousin has it. She has that power too.

The movie would probably sit better with you if you step back and look at and listen to all the subtle nods to the the super fans. Like the Starkiller reference or how the lightsaber lands in the snow.

4935007 She was abandoned on Jakku at a very young age so she wouldn't have nessasary recognize them as her aunt and uncle but if you pay attention she did feel a conection with them and being in the Millennium Falcon felt right to her.

Why is Rey so powerful? Simple. She spent all her formative years on a Desert Planet, Just like the other two powerhouses in the Series, Luke and Anakin.

It's probably cause she's a Skywalker. I mean cmon, the saber passes from Anakin to Luke and now its calling to her?

In all seriousness, lets look at what those two do. Luke is deflecting blaster bolts literally 15 seconds after Obi-wan tells him to pull down the blast shield on his helmet, and makes a perfect shot against the Death Star at the climax of ANH. Anakin was racing competitively in a sport where humans will die because they can't react fast enough, and blew up a massive battleship at TEN.

Also to be fair, she scrapped out a win after Kylo had been gutshot by a weapon that flings people across the room in every other depiction of it in the movie, chased the two of them a few miles into the freezing snow while bleeding out, and slashed up a few times against Finn.

She might have had the relevant memories clouded to protect her. Though that still doesn't really explain why she was just left on some desert planet in the middle of nowhere.

4935327 I actually like the part when he acknowledge the fan consensus that Clone Armies are more competent solders and how he put Hux on the defensive. Ren was like Spiderman or Danta of Sith Lords in the begging, but became less intimidating when we found out how much of a wreck he is underneath that mask. His internal conflict was cool, and the polar opposite of Anakin and Luke struggle. It also showed that the light also has its own pull and that those who chose the dark need to guard against it just as much as those on the light must guard against the light.

Killing Han was like Anakin role in Mace's death and the Younglings. He was sealing himself with the darkside.

4935815 Hopefully he will gain a more sinister and intimidating reputation next time we see him. Which reminds me of something else I liked about the film; apart from Captain Phasma (who came off as a bit of a boring robot to me) the storm troopers actually seem kind of scary and competent enough now to feel like a threatening force.

4935848 I really like that the raised the scales. It shows that the First Order is a "New" enemy with a completely different emo. Wile Palpatine goal was to establish a gallaxy with law end order, the "First Order" seems like it want's to punish those the Ressitence and the New Republic. There more set on destruction than they are maintaining a dicatorship. The Empire was cruel but there crulty was strategic and often convered up. Palpainte was considered a hero who brought the gallaxy out of the Clone War and promising a unified galaxy. The first Order despite having no clear discrimination against human species and gender is an over the top Nazi Germany knock off to the 11th degree. Wile this makes them more a threat, I find that makeing them evil with no clear purpose makes them a bit less interesting than the Empire.

Wile the Empire did evil things and atrocities, it was all under a "greater good" mentaility. The first order seems to be a large scale a terrorist organisation than an organised dictatorship.

4935327 Chewie was really fucking pissed off at Kylo, and wanted him dead. Even if it does have different settings, he'd have the thing on Maximum.

4936573 It was also a bit of a snap-shot situation so maybe he just used whatever he had set at that moment. But like I said, if a side effect of a more powerful shot is reduced accuracy, well he isn't going to kill anything he can't hit now is he?

Disappointment comes with anything that has been hyped to such a level.

4936963 It was inevitable I guess. There was just so much Star Wars this year it was hard not to resist setting the bar so high.

4934885 If you have the time maybe this podcast will sway yuh. (WARNING THIS PODCAST CONTAINS SPOILERS)

4937534 It could be like the PT where things will make more sence once it's complete. Palpatine master plan took three movies and to take into effect and it was never self explained which I really like. By the time he declared the Republic an Empire, all of his actions on and off screen made sense. That's is my favorite aspect of the PT. Seeing this complex plan come together.

4938203 I feel like there needs to be an Episode 6.5.

Snoke also needs a good explanation for existing. If he's just a regular force sentative who one day decided he make his own Sirh offshoot with black jack and hookers, that would be beyond lamb. The chosen one prophey promised the destruction of the Sith and balances in the force. Yet if this new evil was not created by Vader or Palpatine... who are they and why are they different from the Sith. Kylo Ren stole there getup, but this could just be in honor of his grandfather and less to the Sith Order and religion.

These new films need to tie back to Palpatine and the chosen one prophey. But the PT haters are so immature that ant connection (even if it makes the story better) could "Trigger" them.

Sorry if I am reading you'r comment wrong but you make it sound like Palpatine is THE Sith when the Sith has been around in the galaxy for thousand of years.

4939217 He was the last living Sith in the galaxy. I assume the order died with him unless Plagus is Snoke come back from the dead through his mastery of the darkside.

I don't know about that as they are other Sith Orders out there.

4939367 That would be awsome! Everyone loves the Sith. They are so freaking cool.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33