Changelings Need Love Too 2,333 members · 1,541 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

I am writing a story about Changelings, and would like to create some OCs. Any suggestions for some female Changeling names?

Hang on, I have just the thing! Over in the Lunaverse I have a thread that’s Ocellus talking in-character about changelings as a framing device for developing them for the Lunaverse. One of the posts was just a list of potential changing names.

And here it is!

Orchid Mantis, or Hymenopus coronatus

Hessanyte, Spinal (Spin Ell), Siren, Hymns

It's a T rated story, so I'm not too sure about that one.

6995963 I use the name Zex in my E rated story:

TSweetie Belle Gains a Soul
In her darkest hour, Sweetie Belle finds salvation, but it comes with a terrible curse.
Bad Dragon · 132k words  ·  178  45 · 6.7k views

, and nopony has a problem with it.

Ah. I'll add it to the potential list.

Are there rules for Changeling names?

I wrote about changelings in two stories, but I used my own scheme.
Clan Name, Personal name
Chrysalis was Chr, Ysalis.

How would Thorax work?

I wouldn't mess with canon names.
Also my story started a few months after the Canterlot wedding episode.
That was before the 'good' changelings.

If I had to use Thorax, it would be Tho, Rax.
If he had relatives, they would be like Tho'Vartin, Tho'Martin, etc.

Intruiging idea. Reminds me of the Tau in Warhammer 40K.

If we're talking naming conventions from the show, they seem to be mostly body parts commonly found in bugs, with no considerations to gender whatsoever. A few examples, just listing from wikipedia.

Chrysalis: "the pupal stage of butterflies .The term is derived from the metallic gold-coloration found in the pupae of many butterflies, referred to by the Greek term χρυσό, chrysós for gold.
Thorax: "the midsection of the insect body."
Cornicle: "one of a pair of small upright backward-pointing tubes found on the dorsal side of the 5th or 6th abdominal segments of aphids (small sap-sucking insects).
Frenelum: "a bristle present at the root of the hindwing of most moths which engages with a small hook or tuft on the forewing retinaculum to join the wings together."
Ocellus: "literally means "little eye" ... found in most insects"

So... yeah. You're always free to come up with your own naming system, but there a lot of interesting names to be found in simply insect body parts, which is a pretty massive number.

I literally apply pony naming principles to changelings. Need a thick-skinned changeling? Carapace. Need a firey-tempered changeling? Bombardier. Just think insect thoughts and that should get you started in the right direction. Sweet? Nectar or Honeysuckle. Vengeful? Black Widow or Fire Ant.

Bombardier.

That's also a construction company in my country.

From what I understand about changelings, they have names based on things around insects and/or body parts. I guess you just have to think of those, and look for names that are not taken in the series, and sound suitable for a girl.
Names like Aorta, Trachea, or Uvula. Could those names work?

Chelicera
Chela
Forcipules
Maxilla
Terga

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22