Inspired By Music 285 members · 497 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

since the forums are basically dead here, I decided to try something to stir some activity here.

So, since this group is about stories inspired by music, what stories have you written and what inspired you?

The story that I wrote that was heavily inspired by music was 148 degrees. Its a western styled story, and accordingly, I primarily listened to western and dark southern and country music.

The Timeslitters 2 soundtrack and its metal cover was used to get me into the mood of a heavily action oriented shootout/ showdown between a lone stranger against a bandit leader and his gang.

The theme song to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was done to get the mood opposite of the timesplitter theme, a slower and dramatic buildup to the showdown at highnoon down a single lane town with the drifter vs. the gangleader and his goons.

The main theme to Call of Juarez Bound In Blood really gives off the feeling of walking through a seemingly endless desert. And, unlike the other soundtracks, there seems to be a sense of fatigue and heat in the song... I can't describe it.

I love In Time by Mark Collie because it really gives off this feeling of melancholy and fatalism, which I think is perfectly conveyed by the legends of cowboys and bandit outlaws in the west because it seems that the only way to make a difference in the world was to kill.

Aint No Grave is an obvious choice because like the song above, this song is like the sequel, whereas In Time is a sense of Duality, Aint No Grave is what happens after you die, it carries a motif of things like hell, death, and the undertaker taking the wicked away for eternal suffering.

So, that's enough out of me, anyone else ever put this much thought into a song's inspiration?

Honestly, my story Flutterpa the Rapper was thought up from the fact that I wanted Fluttershy to meet up with someone that had no self-doubts. I wanted her to gain some courage in herself from this individual and before I knew it, I said...

:ajsmug:"Shes gotta believe in herself."
:applejackconfused:"Where have I heard that before?"

The reason that I used the 'Fighting is Magic' music was from the fact that I needed some kind of tune that felt MLP related and the issue about Hasbro's interference with the project. I thought that it was rude to do that and the hard work they put into it was wasted, so I thought that this way the music would be used for something. I guess the music for the game helped me at figuring out what the chapter would be about.

I think I'll post some other forms of media I made that was inspired by music.

My two most obvious examples are Elektrichka inspired by a song by Kino and Crow Maud, inspired by "Crow Jane" by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds.

Sleepless is also inspired by Nick Cave's songs, mostly The Curse of Millhaven. And I usually listen to Swans or Tool when writing Tricks and Traps.

My story Without You was inspired by and based on an interpretation of the Breaking Benjamin song of the same name. The lyrics just struck a chord with me, somehow, particularly the line, "Holding the hand that holds me down." On a related note, Dark Spectrum: Public Enemy was written while listening to the albums Phobia and Dear Agony, both by the same band, Breaking Benjamin. I found that the sad lyrics and angry edge of the songs were fitting for a story about a mare descending into madness and darkness as a result of a perceived betrayal and the loss of all she ever had.

Solstice, a short for an anthology, was inspired by the Evening Star song of the same name.

I listen to music while writing most of the time, but those are really the only things that were inspired or fueled by particular things (that I've released).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4