Followers of Discord 3,186 members · 2,749 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
Eddy13 #1 · Jan 22nd, 2022 · · 1 ·

One of the biggest controversies of the final season was the fact that Discord had been posing as Grogar and was the one who brought the Legion of Doom together. Now true, his intentions weren't malevolent, but the fact remains that he enabled three of the most dangerous creatures in Equestria to become the greatest threat the country ever faced (freeing Tirek and Cozy Glow for Tartarus, sending the villains to get the Bewitching Bell, believing their lies when they told him they failed to get it, and of course, leaving them alone for weeks so they could operate on their own). In spite of this, Discord was the one to suggest their punishment, which not only was a bit brutal to Cozy Glow, but also went against that claim he made when he first appeared, saying that he "didn't turn ponies into stone".

Now, even in spite of this, Discord is still one of my favorite characters (not in a FlutterCord sense, of course), but does anyone think that he might've gotten off too easily? Yes, forgiveness is a part of friendship, but should Discord have at least done more besides enabling the Mane Five to escape to earn it?

What are you thoughts?

HELL NO!!!

And here are two stories that explains why he should be punish.

WAIT THIS ISN'T OVER YET!!!!

OBJECTION!!!!! Spike's Sacrifice was Completely Unnecessary

I guess that depends on what one believes after the event. Going off a story of mine, I stated that Fluttershy was tasked to keep a sharper eye on Discord and to make sure he doesn't pull anything like this again. Fluttershy's answer was simply to make Discord to move in with her and have the animals of her cottage be the ever-watching eyes that'll keep track of his actions.

This line of thinking would not only keep Discord in check, but it would also eradicate his freedom and privacy as well. If Fluttershy orders Discord of something (like to not use magic or that he isn't allowed to leave the cottage), her animal friends will make curtain that he follows her orders, or else they'll inform her on his misbehaving and she'll deliver some sort of punishment.

It's not as severe as turning to stone, but it does keep him in some sort of prison.

Well, like I said, forgiveness is a big part of friendship, which has been demonstrated time and again throughout the series. After all, there have been other actions that others were surprisingly forgiving towards: Twilight's 'want it-need it' stunt with Smarty Pants, the Mare-Do-Well incident, Twilight's friends turning their backs on her when Chrysalis posed as Cadance, Rainbow Dash's pranking spree and the subsequent fake zompony stunt, and alot of the things Starlight has done (i.e stealing Cutie Marks, tearing apart the space-time continuum, brainwashing the Mane Five). Discord's actions may have been reckless, but he's hardly the only creature in the series to make such a mistake.

Except the thing is. Discord didn't make a mistake. He did it all on purpose and the L.O.D. gets all the blame because of him. Do you honestly believe he did all this just to help Twilight be a better ruler?......That makes no freaking sense, his whole plan makes no sense.

He’s been lying to everyone and suggested turning the three to stone just to cover all loose ends. Think about it. He set everything up by using Sombra. We know he’s the one who freed him, yet he let the guy run free and not stop him and don't give me that crap about showing the mane 6 that they need to have confidence. Like I said that makes no sense.

Those girls already built up the confidence they needed to defend Equestria. They been doing so since Nightmare Moon and fighting and defeating three villains doesn't prepare someone to rule a country.

Basically Discord pulled the same stunt he pulled with Sombra where he faked getting hurt and can't do anything. With the L.O.D. He purposely let them steal his magic thus he can't do anything.

Discord has been playing everyone for fools. Its what he’s good at.

Alright. I can see you're not really fond of Discord and that you have your own beliefs about his actions. Fine. Still, let's agree to disagree. We'll each have our own opinions and agree not to bash one another.

That's fine by me. I really didn't want to get into another rant about it. That's what my stories are for.

Honestly, I was just so tired that I didn't care at that point. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but... I dunno, season 8 and 9 just kinda drained me. I was just happy that the series was getting an ending instead of just ending out of nowhere like a lot of shows I loved.

I also kinda expected him to get forgiven after the Tirek episode. I was already upset for a while after that that he didn't get more than a few self deprecating lines, so when essentially the same thing happened again, I had already gotten used to him being forgiven for horrible things. It would have been nice if there was, I dunno, an episode after the Tirek fight where Discord had to show how much he regretted his actions, and we got a friendship lesson about learning from mistakes and making up for them. Or maybe we could have had something like a comic where Discord has to actually apologize, like sincerely apologize for Season nine.

In the end, at least we have a site where we can discuss these topics and got nine seasons with a cut and clear ending, which is more than a LOT of shows get.

Well, there was a bit of a difference between the 'Tirek' incident and the 'Grogar' masquerade. With the former, he genuinely backslide into his old habits, while with the latter, he thought he was helping in his own way.

As I see it, Sombra, Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow were brought together to attack Twilight and get her and her friends to step up and face them. Have the young princess realize she IS ready to be a ruler.

Better a threat he started and could put a stop to in case something went awry than an actual threat that could take them all by surprise.

I can see his reasoning. That the evil trio beat him and grew out of his control was something he didn't see coming.

As for the imprisonment in stone... The writers of the show are to blame for that. Inevitable, that their decisions are controversial.

As for being forgiven... He tried to help in a very trickster mentor way, screwed up, and did all he could to help fix it. Besides, 'should' may not be the right word here.

Common sense tells me no.

No, he should be the barely tolerated, non-malicious but occasionally destructive nuisance. i think this was bad writing. Plundervines Discord was perfect. They should have just cut the forgiveness part.

7635238 Maybe he should've been. If, you know, he actually showed signs that he was sorry for what he did or had any idea about what he had allowed to happen because of his twisted idea of helping. We didn't get that in the show, the last we saw of him was him suggesting how to punish the same villains he allowed to become so powerful.

Discord's actions fall in line with basic chaos magic tenets. Heck, Grant Morrisson's infamous Disinfo Speech practically spells out the logic behind it years before the show even started. So yeah, I don't have an issue with Discord's actions in the abstract. It fits his character, and it's in line with the Greek mythology the show took a lot of lore from, so I can't say it was too far out, either. Any faults in it are just continued faults throughout the show, including Season 1, even.

Also, weird little thing that sticks out:

he enabled three of the most dangerous creatures in Equestria

Three, right?

Discord was the one to suggest their punishment, which not only was a bit brutal to Cozy Glow

One: it was quite mild compared to what she had planned in her first grand scheme. Two: if it was really that brutal, why consider her as one of the three most dangerous creatures in Equestria? I mean, Cozy Glow is essentially an Asterix villain (Tortuous Convolvulus) given a Batman villain (Baby Doll) facial. She's a villain. Not a fleshed-out villain, and one with powers that really only work in Equestria, but a villain nonetheless. Tortuous was sent back to solitary confinement after the Gauls figured his trick out, and they don't live in a world where social unrest can directly cause a climate catastrophe. I don't know, maybe it's a European thing, or being late to the party in watching the finale, but it always came across as a weird reaction to me.

But back to Discord? Yes. He should be forgiven, by Fluttershy, Twilight, Starlight, the royals, and possibly Rarity at the very least, since aside from Fluttershy those ponies would understand magic and (hopefully) chaos magic. The others probably wouldn't, and wouldn't care about the explanation.

i wont forgive the Writers for coming up with that idea to make Discord turn into Grogar xD

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15