• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 601 Views, 14 Comments

Equestria's Brightest Time-Travelling Zombie! - Scintillance



...Or the only one, really. It's hard to explain. But really, what else am I to call myself after a stroke of amnesia, and crawling out of a burial mound? Well, my name is Lance... and this, is my awkward excuse of a story.

  • ...
1
 14
 601

Prologue: Darkness

“So tell us, who are you, and what in our name are you doing here?” A cloaked entity with a mare’s voice, and certainly above an average pony’s height stood on the other side of the iron bars.

Three stone walls, one set of magic-dispelling bars, a hay-stack of a cot, and a bowl of water… Classic prison, just like the ones from Twi’s fantasy books about dungeons and such. So that’s where I am. I’m still not quite sure what I’m doing here, but I hope missy McCloaky pants over there sure as heck does. And gets me out of here, I have a lot of questions that need answering. But unfortunately, I’m the one who’s imprisoned here, and if I’m getting anything from her, I might as well make sure she’s willing to answer. Nopony likes a spoil sport, and I’ve never been one for spoilers.

“Well, it was pretty strange… all of it… but I’ll see what I can do… how far I can remember…”

-----

PROLOUGUE: DARKNESS
Darkness… it was all so… cold.

“And then the griffin ran his sword right through my gullet!”

“Oh that just sounds terrible! Please, go on!”

I couldn’t see a thing, but there were these two voices… one sounded like a stallion, and the other belonged to a mare…. Nay, she was a filly of a mare… a fare. No no that’s just weird, a milly! …I don’t think that’s an improvement.

“Go on? Are you even listening!? I just died, bud! What more is there to go on with?”

“Lies. Nopony just dies, there’s always their last thoughts, their last fears… one sec, let me just just…”

“Whoah whoah whoah, what are you doi-yeeeeeeeeeieieieing!”

Then I was suddenly given the strangest vision… It was only a glimpse before a large feathered creature -a griffin, as I’ve been told- shoved a sword right through my gullet. He pulled it out, and I fell to my sides, and the vision blurred. I was still in it, still seeing, though…

No… LANCE!” some small objects then flew right into the griffin, and came out his other side… it was… disturbing. After his body toppled over, a black unicorn crouched down before me, calling out “Lance” over and over… that was how I figured that was my name. And then it all faded away, back to the darkness, and the cold shiver that accompanied it.

“Wow. Somepony could write a story about this.”

“I swear, more than half the time I felt like somepony was writing a story about me, but that’s out of the question. Unless all those fourth wall stories have any truth to them…”

“In that case, something is listening in on us even at this very moment…”

“Gee, that’s a warming thought. Hellooooooo out theeeere!” I wasn't sure if the voice was talking to me. I called out, but either it ignored me, or never heard me at all. Now that I think of it, I’m not sure if I even had a mouth attached, in that darkness… It was like I was a disembodied soul.

“You know, you weren't supposed to die.”

“…I wasn't?”

“You weren’t.”

“Huh. When Shade hears this, she’s gonna go bucking a couple more heads than she would anyway.”

“That’s why you’re here, though.”

“Oh?”

“I’m giving you a chance to save your life. To fix a mistake. My mistake.”

“Oh gee, no problem, I’ll be more than happy to help y- SUNUVUH! I’M DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!?”

“I’m-sorry-I-didn’t-mean-to-it-was-an-accident-I’m-trying-to-help-here-stop-yelling-at-me-please-stop!”

“…finished?”

“Not yet. WAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH! Alright now I’m done.” I think… the filly was crying. I think.

“When I’m through with this…”

“When you’re through with this, you won’t remember a thing.”

“Excuse me?”

“I can’t send you back knowing what will happen.”

“You expect me to fix your problem… without knowing what the problem is?”

“That’s right. Don’t worry; I’ll fill my sister in on the plan. Most strange ponies end up meeting her anyway.”

“Oh gee, like that’s… you mean she’s still alive?”

“Of course she is. Well, was. Well she still is, actually.”

“Omygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!”

“Oh put a sock in it.”

“Omygoshohmygoshohmygoshohmygo-” I’m pretty sure I just heard a slap, right then and there.

“Alright, so does that make things any bit more worth the trip?”

“You think I’m gonna go with this crazy plan of yours without milking as much awesomeness from it as possible?”

“…Yes?”

“Feathers to the no! Let me think…”

“Am I going to regret this?”

“Yes. I mean no.”

“Am I going to have to give any… special, personal favors?” There was something suspicious about her tone. Almost suggestive…

“Yes. I mean…no! No! What!?”

“Aww…”

“E-excuse me?”

“N-nothing, I’m just having a little fun hahahaha!” That was totally a forced laughed.

“U-um… I’ll just… pretend to not suspect a thing… alright; I've got two requests. “

“Do tell!” I then heard a few "clinks" of metallic objects, hitting the floor, one after the other.

“First up, take these, and make sure they show up at different times. The last thing I want is to be overwhelmed by them… that, and it’ll make a more interesting adventure, unlocking my potential as I go along… kind of like that dungeon-trotter board game I used to play with my friends.”

“Reasonable. And your second request?”

“Uncanny luck.”

“I… can’t do that. It’s not under my jurisdiction. But I can be your guardian angel. I’ll keep an eye over you where I can’t be seen, and make sure nothing kills you. Close enough? Not like I wasn't going to do that anyway...” She finished that sentence with a low whisper, but she failed to make herself unheard.

“…close enough. Alright, let’s do this.”

“…that’s it? You don’t want any super powers or anything? Really?”

“Now now, Chrono, I’ve come from a war, remember? I can handle myself, and I can definitely handle this. Besides, what point is there in cheating in a game of Dungeons Trotter?”

“But… this isn’t a game, Lancey…”

“Lancey… I haven’t heard that in a long time. I think you know me from a lot longer than just now…” And at this point, I knew that the stallion's voice was my own... a memory... a dream...

“EEP!”

The voices were cut off, all of a sudden, and I thought I felt my body again. Now, you’d think that’s a good thing, but I’m not sure about that… I had a full-burning sensation, from head to hoof, like a shiver down the spine traded for burning ring of flame. And then, something was pressing on me. Hard. All over me. Turns out, I was buried alive… and I was suffocating.

-----

“STOP! Please stop, you’re making no amounts of sense!” the mare in the cloak butted into my monologue. How rude.

“What… why’d you butt into my monologue! That’s just plain rude!” always think before you say something stupid, my little ponies!

“We just… you’re too confusing, Lance.”

She’s confused? “Trust me; I was a lot more confused by the whole thing than you were. I would know; I was there.” she sighed, at a loss, and finally set herself on her haunches.

“We understand that this shall be a long night.”

“You and me both, sister. Now where was I… oh yes! I was choking to death and burning alive under a pile of dirt…"

Author's Note:

Confused? you should be! This prologue is an explanation for future event that I soooort of have figured out. I'm making things up as I go though, but I can assure you I have a plan: make stuff up that is related to the prologue! nah, joshing y'all, I already know what I'm doing here. Or am I? Only time will tell...