• Published 1st May 2013
  • 2,518 Views, 62 Comments

The Incredibly Musical Life of Octavia Philharmonica & Vinyl Scratch - The Autumn Princess



Each chapter is based off of a song and takes a peek into the life of everyone's favorite two musical mares.

  • ...
4
 62
 2,518

Small Bump

~Chapter Two~
~Small Bump~

Regret. Depression. Pain. The only emotions that coursed throughout Vinyl's being. What had she done? Why couldn't words be taken back? ...Why weren't there second chances in life? And now, crying echoed the tiny apartment - driving a bullet through the unicorn's chest. For days it had been like this. Octavia had locked herself in their room, and hadn't come out since. She just stayed there, crying and sleeping.

Vinyl had looked up time travel spells, but she knew she had seriously messed up this time. Nothing would fix what had happened. Even magic couldn't fix it, and that was saying a lot.

And out of all the stupid things she had done in her life, that certainly was the worst of them all.


"Wh-what?"

"Um, well-" Octavia hesitated, still avoiding eye contact with the DJ across the way from her. "I... well, we're going to be mothers, Vinyl."

The alabaster mare blinked slowly and smirked, "Are you trying to prank me, Tavi? Really?" She let out a chuckle. "I gotta say, that really was a good one, I mean, you almost had me there, but-"

"Vinyl." the cellist said sternly. "I'm serious. I'm pregnant. With your foal."

The DJ raised an eyebrow and shook her head. "No. No way. Impossible." she muttered. "You must've got a faulty result or something. How could you even end up with my kid anyway?"

"Simple." Octavia declared. "Unicorn magic."

The snow white mare laughed awkwardly and gave a nonchalant shrug. "Right... you know, it doesn't really do all the stuff I say it does."

"Unicorn magic can, when used... intimately, so to speak, it can impregnate a pony. Even if it is two mares. I looked it up when I found out I was, well, expecting." the cellist declared, giving an anxious smile.

Vinyl froze and adjusted her shades nervously. "Well-" she hesitated, fumbling over her words. "What, er, do you wanna do with, um... it? Y'know. The foal. You gonna keep it?"

Octavia recoiled as if she had just been slapped and scowled. "What else do you think I'm going to do?!" she snapped. "It's an innocent life, and not to mention, our child!"

"Yeah, but, y'know-" the DJ stuttered. "We're kinda young to be moms, don'tcha think? And we've got our music careers. A kid's just gonna slow it all down and-"

"I can't believe you." the grey mare said coldly.

"Tavi, we're barely twenty. Most ponies usually get married for like, four years before even thinking about foals. Then they turn like, thirty and have some kids."

Octavia's enchanting lavender eyes now shot daggers at Vinyl. "Are you telling me that you don't want our foal?"

"I'm just saying that I'm not ready for a foal. I wanna be famous, out there, before I have a kid." the DJ stammered.

A moment of silence passed before the earth pony mare let out a deep sigh and shook her head. "Well, like it or not, this is happening. I'm keeping this foal."

"But Tavi, what about your-" Vinyl began only before the cellist cut her off.

"My own child is much more important than a dream, Vinyl." Octavia snapped. "As for you, I suppose not."

The DJ hesitated, stammering over her words. "Octavia, it's not just a dream. It's what we've been wanting our whole lives. And... and you're just gonna give it all up for an accident?"

An awkward silence passed between the two mares only before the grey mare's expression twisted into such anger, she looked like she was about to literally flip a table. Instead, she tried her hardest to compose herself and let out a deep breath, but nonetheless snapping at the unicorn. "An accident?! Really, Vinyl?! That's what you're calling our child?!"

Vinyl blinked slowly. "It's... y'know, it's not like we meant to create it or anything."

Octavia choked back tears and shook her head disapprovingly. "That's cruel, Vinyl. What if your parents had decided to give up on you just because they didn't feel like being parents?"

"My parents did give up on me." the DJ shot back. "I turned out fine."

"Alright, what if they murdered you before you were born? How about that then?"

The alabaster mare stammered over her words and scoffed. "Murder's a pretty harsh word, don'tcha think, Tavi?"

"That's exactly what it is, Vinyl. It's murder. Destroying a life before it has a chance to live."

"It isn't like that!" Vinyl protested.

Octavia froze and became rigid, avoiding gaze with the mare across the way from her. "Well, it doesn't matter what you think." she seethed. "I'm the one carrying it and I'm keeping it. And seeing how you're the other parent - you're going to be involved with the child, like a responsible mother."

"Aw, c'mon, Octavia, it's not like that, it's-"

"This discussion is over."


Vinyl cursed herself for being so stupid. If she hadn't been so determined to hate the situation, things would have been okay. Karma really was a bitch.

Octavia's sobs continued. Vinyl was surprised her marefriend had any tears left. Since they found out, Octavia had been in their room crying. She hadn't eaten, she hadn't slept. She had just cried.


"Vinyl, what are you, five?" Octavia spat, narrowing her gaze at the unicorn, who refused to sit still.

The DJ rolled her eyes behind her sunglasses and let out a sigh. "How much longer are we supposed to wait?" she muttered. "Come to think of it, why are we even here? Can't we just figure out the gender of the foal once it's born?"

"I thought it'd be better to know before hoof." the cellist said simply. "I don't see the big deal. My only problem is that you're so impatient."

The alabaster mare scoffed and ignored the grey mare sitting beside her as the almost eerie silence of the doctor's office filled the spot between them. Five months of Octavia's pregnancy sure did fly by and there were only six more to go until their little filly or colt would come into this world. And it's not like Vinyl didn't care - it was the fact that her marefriend still held a grudge against her for what had happened a while back. The wild unicorn was terrified of being a mother - or not a good enough one at that - although she did care about her unborn child. The main fear was though that she could barely take care of herself, so how could she manage a kid?

"Miss Philharmonica? Miss Scratch?" a nurse said from the doorway, beckoning the two mares in question to look up. "Well..." The mare in hospital appearal lifted up her clipboard with her magic and let out a sigh. "You two better come back here."

Sharing equally confused glances, Vinyl and Octavia got up from their seats, following the nurse to a back room where she placed down the information and let out a sigh.

"You are both the mothers of this foal, right?"

"Yes, we are indeed." the cellist said, with a small smile.

"Might I ask how exactly you created the child?" the nurse inquired, raising an eyebrow.

A light blush crossed Octavia's cheeks. "Unicorn magic." she replied sheepishly.

"I had figured." the hospital worker smirked, only before her grin was instantly wiped away and replaced with a more somber expression. "It was a filly."

'A filly?' Vinyl thought, raising an eyebrow and giving a smile. Oddly enough, she could sort of already see it. 'Earth pony, probably, Tavi said it's been an unbroken trait in her family for years. And she'd probably have her mane too. She'll be my little DJ. I'll teach her everything I know and I'll be the coolest mom ever.'

"I'm sorry, did you say... was?" Octavia said, breaking Vinyl's thought along with the awkward silence in the room.

"I'm afraid so." the nurse said. "You see, I'm not so sure if you know this, but... not many magically developed foals are actually born."

Octavia's head turned to the side slightly. "You mean..." The cellist gasped and Vinyl looked to the nurse, not following.

"I'm sorry, I'm not the smartest of ponies... can somepony tell me what's going on here?"

"Well, Vinyl," Octavia choked out, tears brimming her lavender eyes. "Looks like you got your wish."

The DJ's expression of confusion only increased more so as her eyebrows knit. "What do you mean?" she inquired, only for her marefriend to brush past her and storm out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

The nurse hesitated, letting out a sigh. "Miss Scratch, it seems that your foal... didn't make it. Your partner there had a miscarriage."

Vinyl may not have been good with words, but 'miscarriage' was one that everypony in Equestria knew.

"No..." Vinyl shook her head. She hadn't really wanted the foal to be gone. She had just been scared.

"Are you serious?" she whispered.

The nurse gave a somber nod. "I'm sorry."

Blinking slowly, the alabaster mare felt a certain part of her die inside. Like somepony had taken out a chunk of her heart and soul - the part of her feelings - and crushed it. She didn't even know that little filly and yet... it seemed she already missed her.


There was no coaxing Octavia out of her room at all. Vinyl seriously was beginning to worry. It had been a whole week since they got the news.

"Tavi, come on. You can't stay in here forever."

"Yes I can, Vinyl, and I plan to." The grey mare said with a sniff.

"Tavi, please?"

"No."

"Tavi, this isn't anypony's fault. The nurse said that magical conceptions only have a one in like, twelve chance of working properly."

"I don't care."

Vinyl let out a sigh, using her magic to fiddle with the doorknob and realized that Octavia didn't even bother to lock the door. This whole time...

"Tavi, c'mon, lemme in. I just wanna talk."

"About what?" the cellist snapped from inside the room. "There's nothing to say."

"We should talk. Talking helps." If teenage Vinyl had heard those words, there would have been a meltdown. Teenage Vinyl didn't like talking. Big grown-up Vinyl, however, needed to try anything that would help her marefriend.

"I don't feel like it."

"Tavi..."

"Go away, Vinyl." Octavia's words were cold as ice and definitely had the signature Philharmonica seriousness to them, but it didn't matter.

"Alright then." the DJ muttered, swinging open the door carelessly and striding in, only to nearly gawk at the sight of her love, curled on the bed, sniffling like a filly and looking like an absolute wreck. Her ebony mane was frizzed and unkept, her usually sparkling lavender eyes were no more - replaced with tired and weary - and her expression looked completely and utterly broken.

"Tavi..." Vinyl's voice cracked. Her usually perfect marefriend was...well, gone.

"I thought-" Octavia sniffled and glanced up at the shocked unicorn. "I thought I told you to leave me alone."

"Oh-no. No. No way." the alabaster mare declared. "No way in Tartarus am I leaving you now." Vinyl scurried over to the cellist, crawling up on the bed, snuggling close to the grey mare, who gave a light whimper of protest.

"Why do you even care?" she rasped.

"It was my foal too." Vinyl said in a small voice. Octavia looked to the DJ.

"I thought," she sniffed. "I thought you didn't want a foal?"

"At first, yeah." the unicorn murmured. "But after a while, I cared about it. Like I said, it was my kid." Vinyl tried not to think about raising a filly. She tried to keep out thoughts of a miniature Vinyl wearing too-big shades and messing with records. Even the thought of a mini-Octavia brought tears to the DJ's eyes.

"You seemed so...against having a child though." the cellist whimpered.

"I guess my being immature got the best of me." the DJ sighed, holding her still sobbing marefriend close. "I'm sorry. I miss her too." Vinyl added, finally letting the emotion take hold. She began to cry and this time, Octavia comforted Vinyl. Usually, the DJ would protest, but right now, they needed each other.

They were going to hurt, probably forever, but right now, they could rely on each other. They would always have each other. Vinyl wasn't a smart pony, but she knew she loved Octavia. There would always be more opportunities to be parents.

Vinyl leaned into Octavia's shoulder with a sigh. The cellist ran a hoof through her marefriend's mane. They sat in silence. Vinyl thought about the possible future she could have had. Octavia cried silently. Vinyl looked upwards, towards the celing. She had seen ponies do that when they lost a loved one.

You up there, filly? Vinyl asked silently. If you are, and you're listening, just know that Mama Scratch loves you, okay? Mama Tavi loves you too, but you already knew that. Maybe they needed you up there. We don't know why, but they needed you. Love you, filly. Vinyl sighed and wrapped her hooves around her marefriend. Outside, Celestia's sun lowered. Luna's moon appeared. The stars popped up one by one. That night, Vinyl notices a star that shone brighter than the others. She pointed it out to Octavia, and the grey mare smiled for the first time in a long time.

"You think that's her?" the cellist asked.

"I know it's her." Vinyl said, looking up at the sky. "I know it is."