• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 2,180 Views, 16 Comments

To Know The End - Timefly



Can you ever really know the end without knowing the beginning?

  • ...
4
 16
 2,180

(1/2) - Epilogue

Twilight’s eyes were transfixed. She had focused them on her hooves and now she refused to let them out of her sight. Coming back out of her thoughts, she heard the words she had been waiting to hear for so long.

“Twilight Sparkle, this court finds you guilty of first degree murder in the most horrifying manner possible. You are hereby sentenced to death. You are to be taken at noon tomorrow to the West Oak Correctional Facility on the edge Canterlot where you shall be subjected to the electric chair. Do you have anything you wish to add?”

Hooves had never before held such an appeal to Twilight, but today she studied her own with a grim fascination. Her lips parted not once as she examined her hooves in precise detail. They would not be hers for much longer.

--------------------------------------------------

The cell was unwelcoming, but at least it was tidy and minimalistic holding no distraction. It held very little: a bed with a thin mattress, a metallic wash basin and toilet, a small barred window and a desk with a chair. The stone walls had a faded coat of white paint, an attempt at a little cheer for those visiting. The desk and chair were both made of cheap plastics, coloured in a brighter, luminescent white. Deciding to take a look through the window was not a favourite among prisoners. Valleys and rivers and forests lay in view of the window. For those about to die, it was a cruel mockery at what they had lost. Twilight was glad the sky was a drab grey. It plunged her cell into shadow, allowing her to fester in her misery at her leisure.

Head in hooves, she lay on the bed, rocking back and forth, trying to calm herself down. She knew all the methods that were supposed to work, but none of them did. Her education was failing her, as was everything and everyone else. This was not how it was supposed to end.

Getting back up took a while. Stumbling over to her desk, she pulled out a quill and some paper, the smallest of comforts. She lifted a hoof up to her head and felt the enchanted shackle around her horn. She moved the chair out of her way and, leaving her writing supplements on the desk, sat down onto her haunches.

Breath in, breath out.

She concentrated her thoughts, letting her will flow through her. Her horn began to light up with a soft glow at first, which quickly intensified to a burning fire fighting off the shackle. It fought back with as much strength as she gave. It was made to hold. Falling, she landed on her back, exhausted. Pain shot up her spine, making her cry out. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She lay there for what seemed like an eternity.

--------------------------------------------------

“Hey there sugarcube. How you holdin’ up?” Applejack’s voice soothed Twilight’s ears. She was glad that she still had friends.

“I’m still alive, at least.” Twilight’s voice was impassive.

“Whoa now, no need t’ be on a downer with me. J’st asking a question.” Applejack held a tone of indignation as she lifted her head back behind her shoulders, eyes narrowing.

“Sorry,” Twilight mumbled. She sat back down, motioning for Applejack to sit down on the chair positioned across from the bed. Applejack conceded and sat down with a thud.

“What brings you here Applejack?” Twilight was transfixed on her hooves again. Her voice quivered a little as she spoke.

“I’m here to spend some time with ma friend. We both knew it were comin’ t’ this Twi and, despite all that y’ve done, I promised not to let ya die all on your lonesome. A promise is a promise.”

Twilight merely nodded.

“You didn’t have to come you know, I would have understood if you were too busy.”

“Now what y’all on about? C’mon Twi, let’s see a lil’ life in ya.”

That comment made Twilight throw Applejack a glare. Applejack drew herself away a little before Twilight’s face was overcome by a look of sorrow. She slumped her head back down and continued exploring the stumps on the end of her legs. Applejack relaxed.

Her voice started up again, this time a lot softer, with a tone of empathy running through, “Now Twi, I’m sorry. Whatev’r I was doin’ at the time, I failed t’ see that you was gettin’ so messed up. Now, I wanna ask if y’ll forgive me and if we can start ag’in, just try and make somethin’ of your last night.”

Twilight lifted her eyes up towards Applejack, they were filled with remorse. With a choked breath she began, “Of course AJ, of course I forgive you. I never blamed you, its just been so hard these past few months...”

Twilight’s voice was cut off by the sound of her retching. She couldn’t hold back her tears any longer. They came in ebbing torrents. Applejack stood up and walked over, sitting down next to her as she drew Twilight into a loving embrace. Twilight leant her head against Applejack’s shoulder and moved into her. Silence fell upon the cold, seemingly lifeless cell.

--------------------------------------------------

“Has the princess made contact with you recently?”

“Naw, we don’t here anythin’ much from Canterlot these days.”

Twilight said nothing, thoughts flying through her mind at speeds she couldn’t register. She was now lying on the bed, stomach up with her hooves raised in the air, although she was no longer studying them. Her eyes were closed tightly. She was chatting with Applejack like they did in the old days. Applejack sat on the end of the bed, shuffling her hooves around idly.

“Twi, do ya’ mind if I ask ya’ somethin’?” Raising her head and, opening her eyes, she gazed upon Applejack; she looked anxious.

“No, shoot.”

“What happen’d b‘tween you and the Princess?”

Twilight’s blood ran cold. She tossed her head back. Drawing her eyelids closed, she briefly deliberated before coming to a decision. Bringing her head back up, she looked intently at Applejack for a minute before finally letting out a long, steady exhale.

“It wasn’t pretty. When word of...” Twilight’s speeched stumbled, she winced, “what happened reached her she wouldn’t believe it. She came to the Library where I was being held. When she saw the scene she wouldn’t speak to me. She came back the next day and told me just one thing...” Twilight’s voice faded out on a whisper. Her face was stoic.

Applejack continued with trepidation, “What did she say, hun?”

“She said, ‘I’m ashamed of you, Twilight.’ Then she left without another word, taking Spike with her. I never heard from her again.”

Applejack didn’t know what to say. Her face was contorted with grief. Head under her pillow, Twilight was silent, there was no sound of crying, just silence.

“I think you should leave.” The sound was muffled under the pillow.

“But I...” Applejack’s words got caught up in her throat. Without another word she stood up, stretched a little, and left. The metallic door clanged shut behind her. Twilight heard a key turn in the lock and then the sound of hoofsteps. There Twilight was, alone again.

--------------------------------------------------

It was old and tatty, but at least it was a book. Twilight read with an intensity, taking in every word, taking in every last thing she could. The book was a classic. ‘Thus Whinnied Zarathustra’ by Friedrich Neightzshe. It was morning. Twilight had been reading all night, doing the thing she loved most for the last time. The book had never really meant much to her before, but now that the end was near she felt regret. She had read so many pages about things she wished she could have applied to her life. She realised how short her life had been. Although, it had hardly been unfulfilling. She just wished that she’d have started really living sooner than she had. She threw the book to the floor. Nothing could possibly convince her to finish something which now depressed her so.

Rising, she made her way to the door.

“I’m ready for her to come in now.”

Rainbow Dash entered the room.

“Hey there, Twi.” Pity flooded her voice.

“Dash, now’s not the time to try and comfort me, I’m ready for what’s going to happen today. You’ll only make it worse with your sympathy.”

Rainbow gave Twilight a stare, assessing her. After a moment she let her head drop slightly, her eyes softening.

“Okay.”

“Where are the others?”

Rainbow bit her lip, eyes darting around the room. She looked back at Twilight.

“There’s not really much use in me padding the truth. Applejack said she’d rather not come. She said something about an awkward moment last night, but she wants me to tell you ‘She loves you whatever, she’s forever your friend.’ I’m sorry though, Twilight...”

Twilight lips pursed and eyes opened wide, tears playing at their edges.

“None of the others would come. I tried to convince them but they weren’t budging. They just can’t do it.”

Rainbow’s tone was sincere. Twilight threw her eyes towards the floor, hardening them with sorrow. Her gaze quickly shot back up, softening upon seeing Rainbow’s face. Shuffling round on her hooves she briefly slipped into thought. As she came back round she noticed they were both still standing.

“Want to sit down?”

“Sure.”

After a pause in which both tried to find the sitting arrangement which felt least awkward, Twilight started up conversation.

“So, Dash, tell me what’s been happening in Ponyville these last few months...”

--------------------------------------------------

“No way!” Twilight spluttered, tears falling from her eyes, she was in hysterics.

“That’s not even the best part. Just when Scoots thought it couldn’t get any worse, it did.”

“No...” Twilight’s eyes opened wide, her mouth agape.

Rainbow continued, face alight with a mischievous grin, “That’s right.”

“She got her Cutie Mark!”

“Yes.” Both ponies erupted into a fresh bout of laughter.

“This is so rich, you gotta stop, your killing me.”

“Well I’m sorry because here goes. So anyway, Scoots does the catwalk and the crowd loves it.”

“Yeah, carry on.”

“She gets back behind the curtain right, and at that moment Snails comes up to her and goes, “Scootaloo you look stunning in that dress.” Being the tall, handsome stallion he’s grown into she naturally gets embarrassed, blushes, takes a step back. At that moment she trips on the curtain, falling backwards through it, and she pulls the whole thing down with her. She manages to wrestle her way out of it, the first thing to come out being her ass. There it is, her Cutie Mark; a dress. She’s so embarrassed but suddenly everyone’s making a big fuss over her, and that is how Scootaloo, biggest tomboy in all Equestria and Wonderbolt wannabe, started her fashion career.”

Twilight was rolling on the floor, her chest heaving in hysterics.

“Oh my gosh, and to think Rarity was hoping to get Sweetie Belle her Cutie Mark. That’s just priceless.”

“I know, I know. Now Sweetie Belle’s the only one without her Cutie Mark, huh.”

The laughter between them began to subside, an air of quiet joy hung in the air.

“Yep, but I’m sure she’ll get it soon.”

“Any ideas what it might be yet?

“Your guess is as good as mine.”

“I was shocked it wasn’t anything to do with singing.”

“Me too, but I guess life is just full of surprises.”

“Guess so.” Twilight’s voice trailed off into a more serious, meditative tone. Her face began to take on a look of melancholy reflection.

“Right, well I guess I better be going.”

Rainbow Dash stoop up. Twilight stared at her, eyes pleading.

“I guess this is a final goodbye, Twilight Sparkle.”

Getting up, Twilight hesitantly began, “Never going to see you again then, it’s been fun. Thanks for everything. Even washing off the mud.”

“Never forgave me did ya. Well, I’m just glad I made someones life a little more awesome.”

“You never did get over yourself.” Twilight’s voice was upbeat again, a wry smile perched upon her face.

Moving in for a goodbye embrace Twilight’s nose met Dash’s and Dash nuzzled her.

“I always loved you Twilight. Even after all you’ve done.”

With that, she left. Turning round and trotting away, not once losing her cool. Twilight’s jaw hung wide, her whole body stuck in position.

“Well, Applejack owes me 20 bits,” she whispered under her breath, the edges of her mouth twitching to form an embarrassed smile.

“One last thing.”

Rainbow’s head came into sight around the door, she kept quite a poker face.

“Spike wanted to send a letter to you but was forbidden. So he told me to tell you, ‘He loves you and will never forget you and he says ‘Thanks for giving him the best possible life a dragon could have.’”

On that note she was gone, never to be seen by Twilight again.

Falling to her haunches, Twilight began to think long and hard. Her eyes welled up as for the last time, she cried.

--------------------------------------------------

Standing over her desk, legs spread out in a determined stance, she began to write using the little magic she could muster..

The Memoirs of Twilight Sparkle

These are the final words of Twilight Sparkle, the denounced protege of Princess Celestia, written by her on the day of her death.

Dearest Reader, thank you for letting me share with you my last thoughts. As I write these very words I hurry to say all I have to. I am today going to be executed for the murder of one Midnight Pine. A crime which I freely admit to being guilty of and a crime which I believe to be fundamentally necessary to the survival of all Equestrian peoples. The following memoir will briefly outline my life, but will mainly focus on the events which led up to the tragic climax with which my life is about to end in. For to know the end of a story is not spoiler, if you do not know the beginning...

--------------------------------------------------

Twilight took a last look out the window. The sun was obscured by a small cloud covering. The clouds were lit up like the gates of heaven, or what Twilight hoped they might look like, if she were to reach them. She took a last look around her cell, the place where she had spent her last night on earth. She smiled at what now felt like home.

“Funny what the threat of death does to you,” Twilight murmured as two burly guard unicorns moved towards her sides, ready to escort her.

Tucking her memoirs into one of the bags which was to be distributed to her relatives upon passing, she stated loudly, “Thankyou, very much for your company today gentlecolts, I’m sure we’ll have a blast.”

They merely glanced towards each other then back at her.

No humour here. I’m so glad Mum and Dad didn’t come to see me.

--------------------------------------------------

The room was small and square. The walls were all bleach white and the two way mirror that looked into the room glistened with an intensity that Twilight thought appropriate for such a calm, clean matter as death.

She made her way towards the chair in the middle of the room. It stood gracefully, shining like a knife blade, illuminated under the strong electric lights that made the room burn. Twilight sat down, making herself comfortable. The two burly ponies made their way to the chair and began strapping her in, before finally closing the manacles which clasped her hooves. Her back was cold against the touch of the iron.

Looking up, Twilight could see herself in the mirror. She looked old, decrepit. Her mane was to and fro; a mess. Shaking herself slightly, she sat up straight, a proud look upon her face and a posture suggesting regality.

Twilight looked at herself and for once in her life she found it. She finally looked at herself and found the courage inside to be proud of herself and be pleased with what she had made herself to be.

And with that she called out, “I’m ready.”

No reply sounded.

“I’m ready!” She said it with more force this time.

“I’M READY TO DIE...” Her words were cut off.



--------------------------------------------------



Spike sat in the waiting room down the hall. For a moment he was frozen. He heard her voice in his ears, plain as day. It was so long since he had last heard it. It shouted something, something his brain would not process out of fear that he would not like what he heard. There was a large “KKKZZZZZTTTT”, then nothing. Silence, except for the echo; the echo which rang through Spike’s mind. Every time it fed back through it got louder and louder, filtering out everything else, overwhelming all other sound. Then there was nothing, except Spike...

And Spike’s wails.