• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 3,196 Views, 107 Comments

The Raggedy Doctor Hooves - Flutterguy89



When they were fillies, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy had an imaginary friend, but when they grew up, he came back.

  • ...
3
 107
 3,196

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“An…a-apple?” Fluttershy managed despite her wide-eyed disbelief.

“Uh huh, an apple! All I’ve ever wanted my whole life is an apple!” The stallion climbed out of the box and lowered himself to the ground.

“Whoa! Did you, like, get some pegasi to fly you up into the sky in that thing and then drop it?” Rainbow was literally hopping up and down on the spot, her little wings buzzing with excitement.

The grey pony began to mirror the little cyan filly’s action, hopping with excitement. “No why? Would that be something I should have done?”

Dash abruptly stopped her bouncing and gave the pony a quizzical eye, “Uh… I just figured ‘cause your box fell… why are you jumping?”

“I thought this was how you ponies said hello, and that the little yellow filly was just being rude by not jumping too.” The earth pony stopped his bouncing and tilted his head. “Are there any rituals that I should be aware of? The moon ponies of the 37th century stick their tongues out and wink, should I do that? I just don’t know… oh and do you have any apples? I’m starving!”

Fluttershy approached the earth pony, “Um… saying ‘hello’ is okay, and we don’t have any food with us… but there is a little forest nearby, I’m sure we could find some berries…”

Rainbow gave her friend a nudge and a significant look, before whispering to her. “I don’t think this guy’s all there…” She twirled a hoof about her ear in the universal gesture for ‘craaaaaaaaazy’.

“I know…but maybe we can help? I mean… he doesn’t look so good.” The buttery filly whispered back. Then in sudden flash of inspiration she added, “Is going into the forest at night too… um… big of an adventure?” Her confidence broke about halfway through the statement. After all, she was manipulating a friend… but that poor stallion was hungry… She would have to remember to apologize extra to Dash later.

“Oh you wish!” The Rainbow quipped, a spring returning to her step. “Okay mister, we’ll get you your snack, come on!”

“No, no, no, no, that won’t do at all.” The pony said with a frown.

“W-whats wrong?” Fluttershy asked, a nervous quiver returning to her voice.

“That’s not my name, I never met anypony called Mister. I don’t suppose I’d remember if I did though, that seems like a terribly forgettable name. It’s all dull and boring-y. I’m called the Doctor, much cooler name. Pleasure to meet you!”

“Oh…um hello Doctor, I’m Fluttershy…” The timid filly replied in her usual soft voice.

“And I’m Rainbow Dash!” The cyan filly added, flying into the air and striking a heroic pose. “Now let’s get you your snack!”

--------------------

The three ponies crossed over the edge of the forest, their hoof-falls muffled by the layer of detritus on the forest floor. The forest itself wasn’t particularly menacing or creepy, but in the dark each little noise or breath of wind seemed as though it warned of some hidden danger. Fluttershy, despite being in her element, was still on the jumpy side. Occasionally a mouse or other rodent would happen along their way and Fluttershy would ask for the nearest source of berries or particularly tasty flowers. After a few attempts the lanky filly let out a gasp and thanked a particularly chatty possum profusely.

“What was that about?” Rainbow inquired curiously.

“The little possum told Fluttershy that there is a crop of something called… zap apples? Zapples? Zippity do dapples? He was mumbling so it was kind of hard to overhear. They’re about half a mile’s hike that-a-way, in any case.” The Doctor pointed a hoof ahead of himself and slightly to the left. “Also he said he’s been having a rough time with his wife and kids, poor chap.”

The two fillies stared open-mouthed at the grey stallion.

“I speak possum.” The Doctor replied simply, a smile stretching his lips. “Actually I speak raccoon, but they are remarkably similar, really just a slight difference in dialect, so I can just bluff my way on through. Sooooo…. are they special good apples?”

Fluttershy was the first to recover from the Doctor’s latest bout of, uh, eccentric behavior. “Uh… yeah… They are really rare, and supposedly really good, they are more of a myth in Cloudsdale… I’ve never even seen one…” Fluttershy replied.

“But they are supposed to be like super awesome,” Rainbow said, her wings buzzing excitedly once again. “This is so cool!”

“Well then lest get a move on, hop along fillies!” The Doctor trotted ahead of the two fillies who filed along behind him.

--------------------

Something was nearing her hollow. Three somethings?

‘Maybe.’ She concluded, ‘Either way it will certainly enough for a meal.’

Moonlight glinted off of obsidian chitinous scales as the muscle and sinew beneath them flexed. Claws dug into soft rotted wood, a deep rattling breath was inhaled through a gnarled snout, and the beast began its hunt.

--------------------

It was beautiful. Undoubtedly and undeniably beautiful. The pale light of Luna’s moon reflected off of the chromatic skin of the fruit. A rainbow-like aurora cloaked the clutch of trees, shimmering and shifting with an ethereal light. The zap apple trees stood in a little clearing, with maybe four or five trees total all growing together in a signal tangled mass of flora.

“Oh. My. Gosh!” Rainbow Dash zipped around the trees in a fit purest excitement and joy, leaving her trademark rainbow in her wake. “Look at them!”

Fluttershy too was enraptured by excitement; she even flew up to one of the trees to collect some of the multi-colored fruit. Gliding down from the tree she distributed an apple to an eager Doctor and waited patiently for Dash to cease her acrobatics. Rainbow landed with a flutter and a flourish and graciously accepted the fruit from her friend.
The three smiled to each other and each took a generous bite.

“That’s amazzzzing…” Dash exclaimed, the static charge of the unprocessed zap apple causing her hair to briefly stand on end.

Fluttershy nodded her agreement, the electric charge momentarily poofing out her long pink mane out into a ridiculous bubblegum afro.

“That’s rubbish!” The doctor exclaimed spitting out half-chewed chunks of fruit. “Okay its official, apples are off the list of Doctor friendly foods, especially one that are all zippy zappy. My tongue feels like electroconversion generator with its temporal shift only half-engaged. Bleah.”

The fillies once more stared incredulously at the strange pony, the action rapidly becoming old hat.

“But… you said you wanted an apple?” Fluttershy asked tentatively, worry lacing her voice.

“Oh. I did didn’t I?” The Doctor began to look a bit sheepish, “Ah, well yes, perhaps I really need oranges, or maybe daisies, or… Hmmm…”

A twig snapped somewhere behind the dark curtain of the treeline.

“What was that?” Dash asked quickly, her attention turning to the source of the noise.

Fluttershy’s breath hitched in her throat. “Th- that’s… probably a bear… we might have woken it up..” Fluttershy took a shaky step toward the edge of the clearing. “Hello little f- friend.”

A low growl responded. Something black and shiny stalked slowly towards the three ponies, the shade of the trees obscuring the Beast’s visage just enough to make it something nigh invisible, something unknown. But what the ponies could tell is that it was big, and likely quite mean.

“What is it?” Rainbow whispered to the Doctor.

“Not entirely sure but you know, just for a lark, how’s about we run away!”

---------------------

The Doctor and the fillies were running as fast as they could. The Doctor had assured them that they’d be safe if they hid in his box. Personally Rainbow thought this was another bout of the stallion’s madness, but she knew that was where they had parked Fluttershy’s miniature cloud. If she had any hope of getting her and her friend home to Cloudsdale, she would need it.

There was a loud crash somewhere behind them, then a roar. Whatever it was behind them wasn’t particularly happy that they had decided to run. The noise startled an already nearly petrified Fluttershy, the ice cold talons of fear lancing her heart anew. However, that same fear kept her legs moving, the adrenaline coursing through her veins propelling her forward recklessly.

Rainbow Dash’s wings itched. She wanted to be flying, not running, she needed it. As the trio barreled forward the Doctor nearly clipped his head on a low hanging branch, violently reminding Rainbow of why flying in a dark forest would be a bad idea. She groaned from the effort her little legs were exerting. This was the one time in which Dash briefly wished she could swap places with Fluttershy whose long legs would be an asset in this crazed sprint.

Another crash, then another, then another. The beast clearly had no regard for the trees that blocked her path.

The ponies finally reached the edge of the forest and Rainbow Dash shot ahead of her companions as fast as her little wings could carry her. She scooped up the little cloud and met with the others just as they reached the strange blue box.

“Fluttershy hop on! We can go get help for the Doctor, maybe a guard or something can carry him.”

Fluttershy hesitated, “But… what if they don’t make it…”

“We have to go, and I’m not leaving you!” Rainbow shouted.

“Girls, it’s okay. Give me a half-a-moment and I’ll bring the old gal around.” The Doctor said as he climbed onto his box.

Once on top of it, he hopped through a hinged opening that looked like a door. The fillies could just make out a faint call of “Geronimo!” echoing forth from the opening.

“What is he-” Fluttershy began before being cut off abruptly by a loud mechanical whooshing. There was a gust of wind that caused the fillies to shield their eyes, and when the gust subsided the fillies stared in awe at the place where the smoking box once sat. ‘Once sat’ being the operative words, because now there was nothing but a patch of disturbed earth. No box. No Doctor.

The fillies looked at each other, and though they no longer heard the crashing of trees Fluttershy still scrambled onto the cloud with frightened urgency. Where ever the Doctor had gone, at least he was safe now.

---------------

“Smoke! Icky, icky smoke!” The Doctor spoke aloud to himself as he managed to land the TARDIS. Fighting through the acrid haze, he galloped to the door calling out ahead of him as he went. “Rainbow Dash! Fluttershy! I’ve got it! Don’t mind the smoke I can get us somewhere…”

The Doctors voice fell away as he exited his vehicle, and squinted in the midday sun. “…safe…”

A deep sound like the tolling of a bell intoned from the TARDIS’s interior. “Oh no, not now!” The doctor knocked on the door with a fore hoof, “C’mon, I know you’re all sick and what not but can you hold off on the repairs just a bit longer?” The cloister bell sounded again in response, and the Doctor puffed out a sigh. “Oh well then. You just… just sit there, and I’ll be back, yeah that’s it. Don’t go running off!”

The Doctor turned and faced down the small alley in which the TARDIS had parked itself. The alley itself appeared to be just off a bustling market street in a small town. Or so the Doctor guessed, these things couldn’t always be taken for granted in Doctor’s travels. A stray newspaper blew past the Doctor’s hooves. The slate stallion deftly picked up the paper (apparently titled “The Foal Free Press”) and read a byline proclaiming the coronation of a new alicorn princess.

“Huh….” The Doctor exited the alley and entered the market, peering about in wide eyed wonder. There were stalls selling all kinds of fruits, grains, vegetables, arts and crafts, and really just about anything you could fit into a stall to sell.

“Oh, oh I recognize you now! Ponyville, splendid, I love Ponyville!” The Doctor grinned from ear to ear, but then his features fell slightly a look of puzzlement flashing across his face. “But… I didn’t mean to come to Ponyville… I was just trying to jump upright near Rainbow Dash and Flu-”

The Doctor’s musings were cut off by the sound of a shopping basket crashing to the ground somewhere close behind the grey pony.

“D-Doctor!?” Squeaked a strangely familiar voice.

Author's Note:

Here's Chapter 1. I've got 5 or so chapters planned out for this 'episode.' I had no Idea the response would be so amazingly overwhelming! Thank you all, and here's hoping I can live up to the hype.

Enjoy!