• Published 20th Feb 2012
  • 1,101 Views, 24 Comments

Spike - Garino



A crazy combination of MLP and Gex, starring Spike as the snarky lizard himself

  • ...
0
 24
 1,101

2. Frankie and Heli (or Level 1-1), part 1

Cemetery, 11:30 PM

Spike groaned as he got to his feet. Why today? Why did today have to be the day everyone relied on him? Shaking off his dizziness, he noticed something strange. The ground was further away. He looked down to make sure he didn't land on anyone. No, it couldn't be that simple. He was taller. His arms and legs were just as long as they were on the day after his birthday. He looked at his tail, surprised its length had increased, too. "What happened to me?" Spike asked allowed. He clutched his throat as he realized: It was the same as it was that day, too.

Please, oh please don't let it be greed, the dragon thought. He'd already caused a lot of mayhem once because of it, and he didn't want to repeat the experience. Ever. "Calm down, you're healthy and not greedy," a voice said. Spike looked around wildly. In spite of the fact it sounded close by, he couldn't see the source. "W-where are you?" Spike yelled. "Show yourself!"

"Would if I could, but I can't, so I won't," the voice replied. "Sad that you don't remember me, even though we just met a while ago." Spike raised an eyebrow in wonder. Then it clicked. That voice...! "Larry? What happened to you?" Spike called out. "The one and only. Well...simply put, I died. And the dead of the Media Dimension come here when they croak off," Larry said nonchalantly. "But that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I'm here to help you rescue your friends."

"And if you're dead, how are you going to do that?" Spike asked. A boney hand popped out of a nearby grave, scaring Spike half to death! The hand didn't attempt to grab him, though. It simply pointed down the stone path. Soon, more hands joined the first, leading Spike down the path. They finally stopped at a coffin TV. Just like the one at the Dome. Except...

"Um, Larry? I think this thing's broken," Spike announced. "Nah, just give me a minute. I'll get it running," Larry said. Spike could hear springs, screws, bolts, screams, and film reel from inside the TV. When it stopped, he heard a beep and the TV came to life. The picture of the laughing skeleton appeared again. "Alright, same as before. Hit the power button, and we'll be on our way," Larry said.

You mean I'll be on my way, Spike thought. He pressed the button, and watched as the world around him became static.
______________________________________________________________________________
1-1 Frankie and Heli

The world came back into focus as Spike gathered his senses. It looked like he was in a graveyard. The same scenery as before. Did he really teleport? He didn't think so...until he ran into a wall. Spike jumped as high as he could. He landed right in the middle of the wall. He smiled, knowing that in his smaller form, he wouldn't have even gotten halfway up. After smiling to himself for a turn of luck, he took note of the question mark beside him. What does this do? he thought.

He tapped the question mark with his claw. Nothing. "Couldn't it at least match the place?" Spike asked aloud. "I guess, but it's not just for show, y'know," announced a familiar voice.

"There you are," Spike said. "What took you so long?"

"Tuning issues," Larry shrugged. "Doesn't matter. You want to know how to activate the mark?"

Spike pretended to think about it for a moment. "Why, yes, in fact I do," he finally replied.

"Very well. Just tail-whip it," Larry commanded.

Spike blinked. "'Tail-whip it?' That's how it works?"

"Yep. Just hit the mark with your tail and it'll do its job."

Spike didn't ask any more questions. Using all of his strength, he hit the question mark with his tail. It disappeared and in its place, a square appeared before the young dragon. In it were one yellow pegasus with a pink mane and a black skinned human. The human was the one that spoke. "Guys, it's Lewis. I'm stuck here with a yellow horse, and-"

"Um...I'm a pegasus..."

"Excuse me, yellow PEGASUS. Listen, there's more to this place than meets the eye. We've been seeing zombies and madmen with chainsaws! So whatever cavalry is coming to rescue us, make it quick!"

"Well, if you have the time..."

At the pegasus's last words, the square disappeared and it was once again back to the purple question mark. Spike's jaw dropped. It was way worse than he thought. Spike picked up his jaw and continued onward. "Well, that was a buzzkill," Larry said.

"Don't. Even. Start." Spike mumbled through clenched teeth.
______________________________________________________________________________
So far, nothing tried to oppose Spike. Yeah, there were pits, walls, and pools of liquid that Larry warned Spike that contact with it would erase him from existence, but no moving enemies. Yet. Spike looked at the newest challenge before him. This wall was far too big to jump, even for him. The wall looked like it was weak enough that a punch would destroy it. Spike cracked his knuckles, made a fist, did a few windmill motions, and...

"Hold it!" Larry yelled. Spike stopped himself a split second before his fist made contact. "WHAT?!?" Spike yelled.

"You want a broken hand?"

"No. But the wall's weak enough to punch through."

"You'd think that, but it's a lot tougher. Use your tail."

"Wait, you think my fist can't break it but my tail can?"

"Yeah. You'd be amazed what you can do with your tail. Just trust me, ok?"

Spike rubbed his head. For such a helpful guy, Larry was getting to be quite annoying. He hit the wall with his tail, using everything he had. The wall exploded, opening up the path. On the other side of the wall, though...it looked like Frankenstein's monster as if he had created a duck. Spike took in a deep breath for a flame attack. This...thing...wasn't going to get in the way of saving his friends. When he breathed out...no fire. Spike blinked. He took another deep breath and exhaled. Still no fire.

"What gives? Why am I not breathing fire?!?" he yelled out loud. The monster lumbered forward, unaware of Spike's attempted attack. Spike ran at the monster, hand balled up into a fist, and attempted to punch his opponent in the face. For a slow guy, the creature caught Spike's fist before it could reach his face. Then, with its free hand, it repeatedly smacked Spike in the face before it punched him in the stomach, knocking the wind out of him. As Spike reeled in pain, the monster let go of his enemy and turned away.

"You okay there, Spike? That looked like it hurt," Larry commented.

"Gee...thanks for...the update..." Spike wheezed. "Just...what IS...that thing?"

"Frankie. They're usually weak. But boy, did he tear you a new one."

"Advice...NOW..."

"Same as before: tail-whip the bastard."

"Is that your answer to everything?"

"...for now, yes. When it's not the answer, I'll let you know."

As Spike caught his second wind, Frankie came back to finish the job. Remembering the question mark and the crumbling wall, Spike put his everything into his tail whip. The monster didn't stop it in time, and crumpled to the floor. Spike's face was priceless. "Is...is it...?" he started. Then, before he could continue, the lifeless heap in front of him disappeared in a burst of static, leaving nothing behind.

If it was possible for Spike's jaw to drop any further, it would've. "Well, one down, 999 more to go," Larry said. "Best hop to it while there's still light to guide you."

Spike shook his fist once more. "If you ever get your body back, I am SO punching you!"