• Published 20th Apr 2013
  • 1,157 Views, 21 Comments

The Halfling Chronicles: Book 1 - theultimatebrony



A new pony in town, Midnight Shadow, has a secret.

  • ...
14
 21
 1,157

Chapter 1

Twilight

Spike walked in just as Twilight was putting the finishing touches on a painting that she was planning to give Shining Armor and Cadence for their anniversary.

"Hey Twilight, somepony wants some books," said Spike.

The Spike's voice made Twilight jerk, causing the paintbrush in her mouth to smear paint all over the canvas.

"Spike!" Twilight groaned as she used magic to remove the paint splatter.

"Oh, sorry Twilight," he replied, "I forgot that you were working on the painting without magic. Why are you doing that again?

"Spike, this is Cadence and Shining Armor's anniversary. It would be more special to paint it manually."

"Oh, well there's a pony downstairs who wants some books."

"Well we are in a library Spike. Of course they want some books."

"Just go down there. I think you'll know what I'm talking about."

When Twilight came downstairs she saw a handsome unicorn stallion. His coat was chocolate brown and his mane and tail were dark blond. His eyes were a piercing green.

"Hello," Twilight said, "What is your name?"

"It's Midnight Shadow," the stallion replied, "What is yours?"

"My name is Twilight Sparkle," Twilight felt that something was strange about this pony. Not a bad strange, just strange, "What books are you looking for?"

"Oh,right. I would like books on ancient magic, pre-princess history, and magical creatures."

"The only pony I know with this appetite for reading is me," thought Twilight.

It took a few minutes to get all the books Midnight wanted. After getting some of the books in his saddlebag and levitating the rest, he bid Twilight farewell.

Midnight

As Midnight walked away from the library, he couldn't stop thinking about the beautiful mare within. If Modnight could find what he was looking for he could think about settling down in Ponyville.

"Focus Midnight," he muttered to himself.

When Midnight was about fifteen feet from the library, a grey and blond pegasus mare smashed into him, causing the books he was levitating to fall.

Twilight came out and said, "Derpy, I told you to stay away from town when you are trying to do a rainboom."

"Sorry Twilight," Derpy said, "I just don't know what went wrong."

Twilight walked over to Midnight and asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he replied, "Do you know what distracts that pony the most?"

"Muffins. Why would you ask..."

Twilight stopped as she saw a muffin appear in front Derpy's face. As she tried to grab it, it moved just out of reach. Derpy flew off chasing the floating muffin.

"How did you do that?"

Midnight shrugged, "It's not a real muffin. I just created an illusion that will hover just out of reach. It will disappear when that Derpy stops chasing it."

"Wow, that's amazing! So your talent is illusionry?"

Midnight turned his flank towards Twilight. His cutiemark was a smoke cloud inside a mirror.

"Yeah," he replied.

Midnight focused and Twilight began to look around. He smiled and allowed himself to become visible.

Twilight jumped and said, "How did you do that?"

I told you, illusions. I can do just about anything with them."

"Could you show me how to do illusions?"

Midnight thought about this. Normally he wouldn't even show his abilities, let alone teach them to somepony else. Under normal circumstances Midnight would just check out the library and leave. But this mare mare was different.

Finally he said, "Okay. I'll teach you how to do illusions."

"Yes!" Twilight exclaimed.

"But you have to do something for me first."

"What?"

"Help me with these books. I don't want another nutty pegasus hitting them."

Twilight

Twilight was interested in learning a new form of magic. She never saw much about illusionsists in history and there were no spells written down. Twilight also wanted to learn more about this mysterious pony.

"So, what brings you to Ponyville?" Twilight asked.

"I'm looking for the origin of a species," Midnight replied.

"Which species?"

"Some of the best illusionists in the world, Changelings."

"I met their queen. Those things are evil," Twilight objected, remembering the invasion of Canterlot.

"I know of their habits. I happened to be in Canterlot during the invasion."

"What did you do?"

"I made myself look like a Changeling and tried to run. But some pink earth pony hit me with a confetti cannon and it was all I could do to keep the illusion up."

"That was probably my friend Pinkie Pie," Twilight could barely keep from laughing.

Twilight told Midnight some basic information about her friends. He seemed to listen intently.

"So where is Pinkie Pie?" Midnight asked, "From what you said, the would have been the first pony I would have met."

"She and Rarity are in Canterlot helping my brother and his wife get ready for their anniversary," Twilight replied, "Pinkie is helping get the party together and Rarity is making Cadence a dress."

"Wait. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza is your sister-in-law?"

"Yeah."

"So that means Shining Armor is your brother?"

Midnight had a hint of fear in his voice. Twilight figured it was because Shining Armor was such a powerful unicorn, though that didn't explain why he didn't react when she told him who she was.

"I don't get alot of news when I'm researching," Midnight said as if reading her mind.

After walking a bit farther in silence Twilight asked, "So, tell me about yourself."

Midnight took a deep breath, "When I was small I was abandoned. But I managed ti stay alive using my illusion abilities. After a few months I ran into a cranky old donkey named Doodle. He taught me to read and I stayed with him through the winter."

Twilight wanted to tell Midnight that Doodle was living in Ponyville, but she didn't want to interrupt.

"That spring Doodle and I split up and I went from town to town, doing odd jobs and reading everything I could on illusions, and eventually Changelings. The only pony I've tried to teach my abilities to was a mare named Trixie."

"Wait, you taught Trixie!" Twilight burst out, nearly causing the books to fall.

"Yeah. All she could do was make little star pictures. That was two or three years ago. Life continued as normal until I snuck into the Grand Galloping Gala. It was actually one you went to."

"How do you know?

"I remember Rarity getting hit with cake. Anyways, after the Gala I spent most of my time in the archives until the Changeling invasion. After that I just traveled until I got a message from Doodle telling me he needed somepony to housesit. I'm staying until the end of the week."

"At the end of the week we're going to Canterlot for the anniversary. You can come and we can go back to the archives after the party."

"Thanks, that sounds good."

Just then the pair made it to Doodle's house.

"If you're still interested in learning illusionry meet me here tomorrow morning," Midnight said as Twilight left.

Twilight told Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Fluttershy to come to her home. When they all got together, Twilight told her friends what happened, minus the part about researching Changelings.

After a long silence, Applejack finally spoke, "Well Twi, it's nice you found somepony to teach you a new form of magic, but you just met this pony."

"Yeah Twilight," Rainbow Dash piped in, "He might try to hurt you, and lets face it, if this Midnight's as good at illusions as you say he is, you won't stand a chance in a fight."

Twilight thought about this. If Midnight did want to do something to her she wouldn't be able to fight. And if he saw het friends he could make it look like nothing was wrong. Finally Twilight found a solution.

"Owlowiscious," she called. Once he was in the room Twilight said, "Owlowiscious can perch on a tree and signal you if anything goes wrong. Won't you?"

"Hoo," Owlowiscious hooted.

"He says he will do it," Fluttershy translated, " And how is the painting coming?"

"Great. I finished this morning and repaired it after Spike made me smear paint."

"I said I was sorry!" Spike yelled from the other room.

"Anyways, do we all agree?"

Everypony agreed. That night before Twilight went to sleep, the last image she saw when she closed her eyes was Midnight's eyes. His familiar green eyes.

Midnight

Midnight sat do the last book and sat down and shook his head. Even before he read them he knew the books wouldn't help. He saw every book in the group im libraries all across Equestria.

"Why can't I find it?" Midnight thought to himself.

Midnight thought about the lessons he was supposed to give Twilight in the morning.

"I should have never made that muffin."

Just seeing Twilight made Midnight feel something he hadn't felt in years. And if Twilight knew what he was she might not feel the same. He must find his cure or leave.

Author's Note:

I will be updating this story once every week. See you next saturday.