• Published 20th Apr 2013
  • 1,158 Views, 21 Comments

The Halfling Chronicles: Book 1 - theultimatebrony



A new pony in town, Midnight Shadow, has a secret.

  • ...
14
 21
 1,158

Chapter 2

Twilight

The next morning Twilight woke up and told Spike to watch the library. She went to Sugarcube Corner to grab a muffin, which Derpy promptly swooped down and stole, still chasing the illusion muffin. After that she went to Sweet Apple Acres where Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash were waiting.

"Okay everypony," Twilight said, "Do you all remember the plan?"

The plan was that Twilight would go to Doodle's, where Owlowicious was already waiting. The other three would be out of sight, waiting for him to give the signal if anything was wrong.

When Twilight got to Doodle's, Midnight said, "Good morning Twilight. Are you ready for your first lesson?"

"Hi Midnight. Yes I'm ready," Twilight replied.

"Well, I believe that before one learns a technique, they should know how to counter it. So I am going to teach you how to see through illusions."

"How do I do that?"

"You must have complete, singular focus. Now I am going to blind you with my powers,so do not be alarmed."

"Uh, okay," Twilight hoped that Owlowicious was watching.

Suddenly, it was as if the sun had been extinguished. Twilight tried to use a light spell for a few minutes but couldn't produce any light. Midnight's words echoed through Twilight's mind, "You must have complete, singular focus."

Twilight closed her eyes, or at least she thought she did, and banished every thought in her mind except for the desire to see. She opened her eyes and saw that the world was as it should be.

"It worked," Twilight said happily.

"Yes and the technique does not require magic."

"Really?"

"Yeah, so you can tell your friends to come out and they can learn as well."

Twilight was surprised that Midnight knew her friends were there, "How did you know?"

"The owl," Midnight began, "it was out in daylight, though that wasn't what tipped me off."

"Then what was?"

"While you were blind I created the a mouse. A regular owl would have swooped down to get it, but this one didn't even bat an eye. Then I remembered that you told me you had a pet owl."

"That was a very good deduction, Midnight. I'll call my friends."

Twilight called her friends and they introduced themselves, whith Raindow adding, "If you touch our friend, I will sonic rainboom you in the face."

"I swear I will not lay a hoof on a single hair on her mane without her permission," Midnight promised, "I can understand what you were thinking. I mean a new stallion in town wants to bring your beautiful friend to the place he's staying, I would want to make sure no funny business was going on too."

"Did he really just say I'm beautiful?" Twilight thought, blushing. Then Midnight's widened as if he just realized what he said

"So," Midnight continued as if nothing happened, would you like to learn to see through illusions?"

"Yes," all four mares said in unison.

Midnight told the ponies what to do and blinded them. It took Twilight seconds to break the illusion and the other three a few minutes.

"Good," Midnight said with a smile, "Now we can move on to more complex illusions."

The rest of the day the mares were working on breaking increasingly complex and sometimes subtle illusions. At midday they took a lunch break and watched Derpy chase the illusion muffin. Every time Twilight saw Midnight look at her, she could see his eyes light up. This made Twilight feel something, but she didn't know what. As the sun went down, and everypony was about to go home, Spike came running.

"Twilight! Twilight!" Spike yelled. He began to wheeze from the run. When Twilight came over, he gave her a note.

Twilight looked atbthe signiture and exclaimed, "It's from Shining Armor and Cadence!"

"Well don't keep us waitin' girl," Applejack said, "What does it say?"

Twilight looked at the note, "It says;

Dear Twilight

We have something important to tell you that can't wait until the party. We want you and your friends to come to Canterlot tonight.

Shining Armor & Cadence

"Okay everpony, grab your things and meet me in the ballon in one hour."