• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 1,950 Views, 42 Comments

Letters from the Moon - Flutters Glasses



Luna always carried this habit, a habit of writing her thoughts into a series of letters for no one to read. But what if she had a reader? What if this reader were to write back?

  • ...
2
 42
 1,950

Chapter 2

Luna stared in utter disbelief at the slip floating mere centimeters from her muzzle; where, how, and who did it come from? Undoubtedly she felt fear and embarrassment on the surface, but there was another set of sensations deep within her, ones of well placed relief and, to a greater extent, excitement. To be complemented, to be... Anonymous.

She had a reader; she was writing to someone, not just a figment of her imagination. They thought her writing was beautiful and perhaps...

Perhaps they understood her.

Luna shot to her hooves, a light glowing brightly on her horn as she scanned the dirty floor around her.

"It has to be here! It has to be!"

In the corner of her vision, under the edge of the displaced desk, was the familiar brown of her quill. A grin spread across her face as she quickly grabbed it in her aura and pulled it towards her. To her dismay, the quill was not only snapped, but the tip had been crushed under the weight of the furnishing. She let out a near silent curse and looked desperately around for another; she knew there were more on her desk when she had tipped it.

Grabbing the desk in her aura, she lifted it off to the side to uncover where the quills lay, only to find them floating in a puddle of murk from her now shattered inkwell.

Frustration overcame her as she flared her wings out wide, turning her neck swiftly to grab a single cobalt feather between her teeth. She cringed slightly as she tugged her head back and pulled the feather from her wing, allowing it to drop for a moment before catching it in her aura. She held it in front of her face with pursed lips; a droplet of blood was suspended without gravity next to the primary. It was crude and wouldn’t make for a neat utensil, but it would simply have to do.

The desk was coated in a cerulean glow as it righted itself, a bent piece of parchment floating onto its surface. Luna stepped in front on the desk and dipped her quill into the dark pool by her hooves. Her heart was racing as she tried to think up a reply. What should she say? Should she ask how they received her letters? Should she ask how many them they had read? Maybe just ask who they are?

Making a decision, she pressed her quill against the corner of the parchment and wrote three small words; a simple question she was near bound to receive an answer for.

Who are you?

She tore off the corner of the parchment on which the message was scrawled and pulled it in front of her horn. The rift soon appeared below it, but before she was even able to drop the slip of paper, a new note shot out, sticking itself just at the base of her horn. She blushed slightly at the chilling sensation running down her spine from the foreign object and allowed her own message to drop into the portal. The odd tactility of the slip confused her as she pulled it off her face to look at what was written upon it.

You’re not leaving are you?

Her blood ran cold at the words. What if they were a resident of Canterlot?

What if they were in the castle?

She was flushed with worry at the thought. What if the paper found its way to the population? Worse yet, what if it got to her sister? Celestia wouldn’t ask her to honor the letter...Would she? Sure, their relationship was strained at times, but she didn’t really want her gone, but if it’s for the good of the ponies...

Luna shook her head to clear it of the nonsensical thought, the spell would take her letters far beyond the walls of Canterlot, and Celestia wouldn’t ask her to leave, no matter what the population wanted.

Nervousness continued to course through her. How long should she wait before reopening the rift? Could it be that they are able to open it themselves? She had little knowledge in this field of magic; Conjuration was but a rough idea at the time of her banishment, it took centuries afterward before being accepted as its own school.

She would give it ten minutes; ten minutes before re-opening the rift to...The other end.

In the meantime...

She sighed as she looked unhappily about the room.

“Might as well clean up.”


Her heart began to race as her horn took on its familiar azure glow and the violet rift opened before her. She half expected another small note to instantly come shooting out at her, but to her surprised dismay, nothing came out at all. She chastised herself for feeling disappointment, these things could take time; after all, she didn’t know where the notes were coming from, they could have been coming from an entirely different planet for all she knew.

A smirk found its way onto her face as she exercised her creativity over the idea; an entirely different plant that’s still capable of reading and writing Equestrian Basic, nevertheless capable of sustaining sentient life. The mere idea was silly, the stuff of legends and pony tales.

Sweat began to pour down her muzzle from sustaining the spell. Her magic reserve was massive to say the least, but to hold a spell entirely foreign to her beyond a few moments would quickly leave them depleted. Even the raising of the moon took minimal effort, if not only for her extensive knowledge and practice.

One minute passed, then two, then three. Her legs were beginning to quake from the little energy they were allowed from the massive amount the spell was pulling. She continued to stare intently, albeit strainedly, at the hoof-length, hairline crack in reality distorting the air around it. The violet glow was mesmerizing, almost growing blindingly vibrant as more power was pumped into it. It flickered out of existence every few moments as the instinct to stop took over her body, but in response she merely ground her teeth all the harder, squaring up her stance to allow a burst of magic to escape her horn to bring the rift back to life.

Even as her legs gave out from under her, and she was left lying on the floor, she continued to hold the portal. If there was any chance, any chance at all that there was somepony out there that understood her; that understood what she was going through, she would gladly give up a part of herself to find them. Blackness found its way in the corners of her vision as the spell took its most powerful toll on her body. She wasn’t dying, the curse of immortality wouldn’t allow that, but she was certainly losing consciousness. The absence of magic within a pony can wreak disastrous consequences on the mind and body; smarter unicorns than her had gone maniacal by exhausting their reserves, assuming they didn’t die first.

The rift began to lose its violet radiance as her vision continued to darken, the walls of her instincts closing in around her mind, fighting hard and vying for control over her horn. She was going to pass out. The turnout was inevitable.

“Ju-...Just a few more moments...”

A pop resounded throughout the room, though this happened unbeknownst to the princess laying dopily on the floor. Her eyes began to roll back into her head as the portal disappeared entirely, the violet glow providing the near only light within the room diminishing.

A slight azure glow, leaking the rest of her excess magic into the air, kept about her horn for a few moments as she lost consciousness.

Leaving her worn and exhausted form alone in the dark room, lit only by the light of the moon leaking in through the open window above her desk.


“Oh gods....By Magnus’ swollen Gastrocnemius...”

The sheer pain coursing throughout the midnight alicorn’s body rivaled even that of the most intense hangovers produced by those foolish enough to challenge one of the royal guards to a drinking contest. She attempted a small pain alleviation spell, though to little effect beyond sending a lancing pain from her horn down to the rest of her sore body. She bit her lip, drawing a small amount of blood as she withheld the scream that was all too happy to leave her body. She allowed her eyes to open a crack, but again, this only proved to add more to the pain wrought across her body.

She quickly shot a foreleg to her eyes to block out the light, giving herself just a small moment of time to adjust before removing it from her vision. Unfortunately, what was laying on the ground before her made her eyes go wide, something her body was nowhere near ready for. The pain again shot down her spine, but she made no attempt to shut her eyes, nor even flinch as she stared with her mouth agape. There was a sheet of white paper before her, tri-folded into a neat, medium-sized line. She rubbed a leg against her eyes to confirm its reality, quickly learning that she wasn’t imagining it, there was in fact a sheet of paper in front of her.

Her jaw closed as a grin shot across her face, her body near bristling with excitement. It had worked! They responded! The joyousness about her caused one key thing to temporarily leave her mind:

She had no magic.

The smile never leaving her face, she attempted a small levitation spell. Of course, this was when the smile did leave her face as the pain in her head returned full force. She cringed and closed her eyes, giving herself a few moments to overcome the intense pain in her body. A minute or so later, she opened her eyes again, the excitement within her all but extinguished as a grumpiness took over. She reached a weak hoof towards the letter and, as carefully as you can do with hooves, unfolded it; holding it open as she read what was on its surface.

Dear Luna,
Don’t leave, please don’t leave. To leave would give them the satisfaction, the last laugh if you will, in this internal warfare you’re finding yourself in. If your citizens are truly so stuck up and snobbish to not see how wonderful you are, then that is there loss. Yes, I have received all of your letters, and I truly doubt that they were intended for me. They thoroughly confused me by their random appearance in my study, even more so with the appearance of that violet portal with the fifth letter, but they were beautiful pieces of work that told a story. A terrible story that I hope will one day turn into fairytale. I won’t lull you into the false security in saying that I’ve faced a similar ordeal, but now that I finally have a line with you, I hope that I can offer my help.

Luna, don’t lose faith. I may not know exactly what you did in the past beyond what few, vague details you’ve given me, but I know that every wrong can be amended given the proper care, time and love. I know that one day you’ll see, that one day they’ll all see how wonderful you really are. In the meantime, I’m still here, I’m still reading and I sincerely hope that you’re still writing. Who I am doesn’t really matter, it’s what I do and say that should be given heed. For the sake of continuity, call me what you’ve always called me.

Call me Oblivion.

Author's Note:

This is far and wide a completely different story than what I usually write, that being comedy. I hope it's turning out well enough, it's a completely new experience for me.

Now that this is posted, I need to finish the chapter for my other fic before picking it back up; that honestly shouldn't be all that long.

If anyone would like to offer me a link to some sort of art for the cover in the comments, I'd appreciate it. I haven't really found a piece that...fits what I want yet.