• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 1,950 Views, 42 Comments

Letters from the Moon - Flutters Glasses



Luna always carried this habit, a habit of writing her thoughts into a series of letters for no one to read. But what if she had a reader? What if this reader were to write back?

  • ...
2
 42
 1,950

Chapter 1

Dear Oblivion,

We are I am not quite sure how I could continue to perform my duties while living like this; I look to the stars every night, not out of choice but out of loneliness. The dark aura of Nightmare Moon still surrounds me, my sister's subjects refuse to consider me neither an equal nor a superior; to them I remain a monster. I spend sleepless nights dwelling over what I could do to alter their views, if not ever so slightly, but I can not form a single coherent thought. When We walk into the throne room, silence and fear set heavily among the denizens within. My sister's radiant smile is always there to greet me, but even that has grown more forced with each passing day. I think about running away. Often I consider its sweet release; my sister has near a millennia of experience over me, would anyone even take the care involved to miss me?

Am I really needed?

My sister checks on me often enough, but again, there is a tension here that I simply can not explain. I think she fears for my sanity and I wish I could say that she has no grounds to feel so. My room, my mind, my company; all desolate, devoid of any presence beyond my own. I would be lying if I said that I do not fear to leave their silent sanctity. My niece tells me that it is the Royal We that frightens the citizens so; that it serves as a reminder that it is not just me, but the Nightmare accompanying my presence. I have tried ridding my vocabulary of such speech, but it is quite difficult to lose something you have worked so hard to gain. Part of me does not want to see it go, it is almost as if giving it up would be to give myself-the old Luna-up as well.

I wish that I could just

"Luna!"

The midnight alicorn turned her head from the parchment and towards the door behind her.

“One moment sister!”

Luna looked sadly at the paper in front of her. It was unfinished, true, but she knew that the risk of keeping such a letter for the selfish act of not wanting to leave it in that state was too great. The scroll was coated in a near-indigo aura as it floated in front of her muzzle and began to roll itself up.

“Luna, the senators from the Cervidae Province are waiting on us.”

“Yes yes, We- I will be out in a moment.”

She gave one last conflicted glance at the scroll before opening the familiar, violet rift below it, allowing her magic grip to go slack as the letter was quickly sucked into the portal. She didn’t know where the rift led; it was a magic even she did not understand, but to bring herself to destroy her own creations proved too hard of a task.

It had been the fifteenth letter since the revocation of her banishment, but as always, it felt as if it were her first. Perhaps it was the loneliness she felt that compelled her to write to a mere figment of her imagination, but the idea of owning a diary seemed foalish and immature.

A drawn out sigh escaped her throat.

“Okay sister, I am coming.”

She turned from her desk and began to trot towards the door in front of her. There was little gain to be had by appealing to the cervine residents of the forest at Equestria’s border, but diplomacy was just one of the many duties she carried.

The princess took a fleeting look over her shoulder, specifically at the candle burning on the desk next to her yellowing stack of parchment, before allowing the door to slam shut behind her.


The door to Luna’s bedroom flew open as its owner quickly galloped into the room, tears streaming down her cobalt face. She none too carefully shot towards the desk, where the candle was now nearing its end.

The quill on her desk shot into the air as a piece of parchment floated into place under the dim light.

Dear Celestia,
We can not take this anymore. The hatred, the fear, the lack of respect; by these We are worn thin. Thoust saw perfectly well how the Senators acted, We were treated as if a plague surrounded our being. The Stags look upon us with fear, the Doe with distaste. I hath done nothing to displease them into acting in such a way, We did nothing but try and keep our head high whilst displaying a transparent smile. If nothing else was to be gained from the experience, I have learned one thing: We can not live here, in such a virulent environment.

We are leaving.

We shalt still raise the moon every dusk, but We are leaving the politics and hostility of Canterlot behind. Thou art perfectly capable of being the instrument of Equestria's rule, it has been done by you for near a millennia; We are but a spare piece that has no use in this game. Please do not hate me dear sister, it is better this way and We I know that you think this to be true. I shall seek a stead close enough in proximity for us to keep an eye on the workings under- soon to be your rule, but far enough to remain far from the venom of thine citizens.

Goodbye dear sister, our paths shalt cross again.

With love,
Luna

Luna looked teary eyed at the paper on the desk before her. Several droplets littered the sanctity of the page, but this was something unworthy of a second draft. The trinkets strewn across her desk took on a cerulean glow, a light being cast upon them from her horn as she lifted the letter in front of her muzzle. She stared at the parchment, her expression beginning to show bitterness; a bitterness long left concealed under years of solitude and months of being crushed under her citizen’s glares. The sheet began to implode inwards into a crumpled, little ball as the desk was coated in a similar cerulean glow. The table suddenly flipped, extinguishing the candle and scattering her quills and papers all across the floor around her.

She turned around with the intention of bucking the desk, but her hooves hit nothing but air as they shot out, missing her target completely. She collapsed into a heap and just lay there, sobbing quietly to herself.

The ball still spun in front of her face; besides the moon, the only source of light within the room.

“W-We can not do it...”

A sniffle escaped her as the violet rift opened up beneath the ball.

‘You are weak! Leaving Canterlot would have been the best decision you’ve ever made!’
Her sister’s voice resounded through her mind.

Her lip trembled and she closed her eyes as the paper dropped. Her ears twitched to an otherworldly pop that resounded around her room; a noise that she had never heard the portal make before. Her eyes shot open as a small blue square began to drift down in front of her face. She allowed her magic to extend over the square, making it float in place as she looked at it curiously; her interest serving as a temporary rest from the pain she was feeling just moments before.

It appeared to be a small slip of paper, completely bare save for an odd, slightly lighter line of blue running across its top. She tilted her head as it spun around in front of her. The princess suddenly froze, her heart seeming to skip a beat as the paper turned completely around, revealing what was on the other side. Scrawled neatly on its surface were three words:

You write beautifully.

Author's Note:

It's a sticky note, for those who didn't understand.
This is an idea that wouldn't leave my head; my other fic shall remain my primary one, but this will be updated as inspiration strikes. No idea how often that will be.

Humans will not physically appear in this story.