• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 1,282 Views, 25 Comments

Episode 1: Nightmares and Lunascapes - mr lovecolt



An aspiring author is invited to do a reading in Ponyville, where odd coincidences keep adding up between his stories and reality.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,282

Edger

The sound of hooves as they fell onto the floor in applause greeted Edger as he slowly closed the book from which he was reading and turned to face the audience. A dark blue aura surrounded a nearby glass of water, and it floated through the air towards his lips for him to drink. The aura then moved to his glasses, and it readjusted itself on his face. He finally looked up to the clock that hung above the front door of the Manehatten Public Library.

“Thirty minutes, three-thousand one hundred words.” Edger said to himself as he pulled away from the microphone.

“Approximately one hundred words per minute… Perfect timing.”

Edger sighed as he placed his hoof on the book he had just closed. The collection of short stories that his agent had published had turned out to be quite a bit lucrative for him, thought not nearly as lucrative as his job at the Manehattener, but far more lucrative than the royalties he had received from any of his published poems. Still, he was merely an up-and-coming author, and his first book was simply a collection of short stories. Add to that the fact that not many ponies had even heard of a pony dedicated to writing horror fiction such as this, it was a wonder that he was here now, speaking to a group of approximately one hundred ponies. Edger slowly smiled as the applause died down, and he took a moment to look to the side at his agent, Script.

It was Script who had found his stories one night after Edger had been in a hurry to submit his most recent articles for the Manehattener. He had apparently given Script the incorrect scrolls, and instead of reading Edger’s latest commentary on the state of modern interpretive lyrical bouts, or, “rap battles” as the more common term demanded, he instead read through a collection of stories that pressed through different states of the pony mind. The critics had a few favorites.

One Thousand Years, a story about Princess Luna’s time spent on the moon and the loneliness slowly driving her mad, seemed to be more disturbingly humorous than truly frightening. The Hearth Warming Eve Present, a story about a bullied child being given a magic box that granted her popularity, was more of a commentary on social status, but still a bit gruesome at parts. But it was this story, The Offering, that set the critics’ words flying like a pegasus in a hurricane. And it was this story that Script insisted he read as much as possible.

Edger had never intended for Script to find them – they were more of a distraction and a means to release himself of writer’s block for his other works. Still, as he looked over the crowd, Edger knew that he would have to find some way to thank his agent for bringing him to a wider audience. Maybe after this was over, more ponies would be willing to read his poetry.

As his attention moved from pony to pony, Edger couldn’t help but notice one particular mare in the audience – a small purple alicorn.

*****

“My, that was fascinating,” Twilight Sparkle whispered to Rarity.

“Though I must say the subject matter is rather… harsh… the style it was written in was almost like a song,” Rarity replied. “What did you think, Fluttershy?”

There was no response.

“Fluttershy?” Rarity asked again as she turned to where her yellow friend sat.

Fluttershy’s seat was empty, but beneath the seat, Rarity could see two small legs jutting out.

“Fluttershy, dear, please get up,” Rarity whispered, “It was just a story.”

A soft purple aura surrounded Fluttershy as she was lifted back into her seat as inconspicuously as possible. A couple of ponies began to chuckle, but when Twilight Sparkle turned to glare at them they immediately stopped and turned back toward the author on stage.

“Why… why would sompony… write about that?”

“I don’t know, but we can always ask him, can’t we?” Twilight suggested.

“A wonderful idea, Twilight.” Rarity replied, “Let’s try to get into that mind of his. I just want to find out why he dresses like that. Maybe it’s just something that the intelligentsia does. It almost makes me want to work on more designs for stallions.”

Twilight looked up to the stage as Edger began to take questions from the audience. She noticed that he wore slacks and a vest. She had noticed that a good deal of the other ponies in the audience wore similar styled clothing. She then looked down to the clothing that Rarity had designed for the three of them. Rarity almost matched the surrounding ponies with her black turtleneck and matching beret, but Fluttershy’s white skirt and her own blue flowered dress seemed a bit out of place. Still, Twilight was glad that they had come to Manehatten for this book reading and to see some of the sights. Though they had insisted that all six friends come, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie couldn’t make it. Rainbow Dash just laughed at the idea of going to a book reading unless it involved Daring Doo, Applejack had fallen behind on the household chores, and Pinkie Pie just said that her Pinkie senses were telling her somepony important was coming to Ponyville. To be honest, Twilight was relieved it was just the three of them. Strange adventures always seemed to happen when they were all together, and Twilight felt that she, Rarity, and Fluttershy would be the least likely to cause any overt mishaps.

“I think I do have a question.” Twilight said to herself as she raised her hoof.

*****

Edger looked over to his agent. He had enough time for one more question. He saw as the purple alicorn’s hoof rose into the air.

“Yes, Princess Sparkle?” Edger asked.

“Oh, you know my name?” Twilight Sparkle asked, obviously embarrassed.

“Princess Sparkle, there are only a few alicorns that we know of. Besides, you’re one of the Elements of Harmony.”

“Oh, right.” Suddenly Twilight Sparkle felt herself getting almost as shy as Fluttershy. “I just wanted to say that I love the way you read your story. Your voice is so delicate that it makes the words themselves more potent to the listener.”

“That’s kind, Miss Sparkle.” Edger replied.

“My question though is that not very many ponies have tried their hoof at writing horror stories. Why do you choose to write what you do?”

Edger looked over the purple alicorn and through the rest of the audience. He could see it on their faces, too. He could hear the questions. Why write about terrible things happening to other ponies? Why write about inflicting pain and suffering onto these characters? What terrible sin had they done? The unasked questions seemed to exude from each pony like a dark energy that slowly settled in the air above his head. He could feel the questions surround him and begin to smother him. Edger shook his head and drew a sip of water from the glass on the table next to him.

“Princess Sparkle, it is true that critics of my work don’t understand why I write the way I do. And it is true that I am the first pony in a long while to try it. But the way I see it is that for every light there is a shadow, for every cherished dream, a dashed hope. There are many lessons to be learned in triumph, but sometimes, the hero must fall. I’m not saying it’s pretty, and I’m not saying that it’s kind, but in the real world, the good guys don’t always win. And sometimes, just recognizing that is the lesson.”

Edger watched as she slowly sat down next to her friends, whom Edger immediately recognized as Miss Rarity and Miss Fluttershy. Script appeared next to him and enveloped the microphone in his own magic.

“Thank you all so much for coming this evening, and we all do hope you stay for the hors d’oeuvres and wine as well as take a chance to get to know Edger Allegore Poeny and purchase a signed copy of his book, Nightmares and Lunascapes. And be sure to read his weekly column in the Manehattener, Poenytales.”

Hooves shuffled on the tiled floor, and the ponies made their way into the main atrium, until only Edger and Script were left.

“Princess Sparkle asked an interesting question, didn’t she?”

“That she did, Script,” Edger replied, adjusting his glasses once again.

“You know, Edger, it wouldn’t hurt to try to network with her.”

“I’m fairly certain these stories aren’t exactly suited for royalty.”

“I’m not talking about royalty, Edger. I’m talking about royalties. A big part of the literary world is networking with those who can help widen your audience. And did you fail to notice the two ponies she was with?”

“Of course I did: Miss Rarity and Miss Fluttershy, the Elements of Generosity and Kindness.” Edger levitated his book into a small black saddlebag and finished the rest of his water. “These stories don’t exactly mesh well with those two qualities, either.”

“Rarity is a famous designer and is well known by the likes of Hoity Toity and Sapphire Shores. Fluttershy was even involved in the fashion industry with Photo Finish until she took an early retirement. Those are the ponies that everypony knows, and it wouldn’t hurt if they got to know you, too.”

Edger shook his head and sighed.

“I’m just saying strike up a conversation with them, is all.”

“If you insist.”

Edger and Script made their way into the atrium. Another night of book signings, Edger thought, of this collection that I never really intended to publish in the first place. Edger thought to the small book of poetry that he always kept on his desk in his loft. He wondered how many copies of it sat on shelves in libraries across Equestria collecting dust. Edger entered the atrium and was greeted once more with applause from the audience. He looked out through the window to the skyline of Manehatten. Working so hard as a columnist, wanting to get my voice heard, and working so hard on my book of poetry, and this is what gets me fame? The gruesome tale? Edger shook his head, maybe Princess Sparkle was right; why should the public be allowed to see such things?

“Thank you all so much for being here.” Edger said as he flashed a well-trained smile. “I truly hope that my tales don’t keep any of you up at night.”

Edger watched as his audience laughed, except for Fluttershy, who just let out a small squeak as she lowered her body to the floor, trembling. Edger made his way to the table and was greeted immediately by Twilight Sparkle.

“Oh Edger, I just wanted to say once again how much I enjoyed hearing your story.”

“Why Princess Sparkle, that-”

“Please,” Twilight said, “Just Twilight will do.” Edger chuckled as her wings ruffled slightly, slapping Rarity in the face. Rarity squinted her eyes for a moment, but then took a deep breath and let the smile reappear on her face.

“Very well, Twilight. I was actually hoping to be able to talk with you and your other friends after the signing. A group of one hundred won’t be too long.”

“Yes!” Twilight said a little too loudly, “I mean, of course, it would be an honor to talk with an author.”

Author… yes. Edger thought as he sat down to begin the more tedious part of the evening. The only part that made the night truly uncomfortable was when the occasional stallion would look over at him, shake his head, and then whisper something into whatever mare he was with. But, just as he had said, that part of the evening went rather quickly, and in another half an hour, most of the other ponies had already left the library, leaving only the five of them. Script levitated a bottle of wine and filled the five glasses, four of which hovered midair surrounded by different shades of blue and purple aura, while the fifth rest gently within Fluttershy’s forehoof.

“Oh Edger,” Rarity said, batting an eyelash, “The story was fascinating, absolutely fascinating. The three of us had come to Manehatten to take in some of the sights and engage in some of the culture, but I must say I was not prepared for this.”

“Why thank you, Miss Rarity,” Edger replied, And I must say that-”

“Oh, I was so scared, Mr. Poeny! I just don’t know why you would write something like that! It’s just so mean what they were doing to him! He’s going to be all right, isn’t he?”

Edger slowly turned to see Fluttershy trembling next to Twilight, and her eyes had begun to water.

“Miss Fluttershy, the story is already written. You don’t have to finish the story is you don’t-”

“But I can’t just leave without knowing. I mean, I would be absolutely heartbroken to find out he did. I know it’s not real but I just can’t stand the idea of somepony doing that to another pony. That shouldn’t happen.”

Edger took in a deep breath and looked to Fluttershy’s companions. Rarity was blushing, and Twilight simply gave a very awkward smile. Edger turned to the table where he was signing, and levitated a book towards Fluttershy.

“If you want to find out what happens to Tiller and Forge, I won’t stop you. But be warned,” Edger said as he held the book in place for Fluttershy to grab, “I make no promises to you as to their fate. What is done is done. And that is inescapable.”

Twilight Sparkle watched as Fluttershy set down her wine glass and took the book from the air. So much for a pony not making a scene in Manehatten, she thought. Then she remembered something else. Something about another book that she had in her library.

“So Edger, have you ever given any readings outside of Manehatten?”

“Not so far.”

“I know this will probably be presumptuous of me, but I was wondering if you had free time would you like to come to Ponyville to give a reading?”

Edger coughed as an errant sip of wine went down his throat and into his lungs.

“Ponyville? Do you really think this work is suitable in such a place?”

“Well, maybe not, but I do recall you also wrote a book of poetry.”

Edger turned around and set the glass of wine on the table. He stared into its almost empty contents before regaining his composure.

“You… know of my book of poetry?”

Edger could see Script roll his eyes out of the corner of his own, but he could not take his attention away from Twilight for another moment.

“Yes, I keep it in our town library. The poems are beautifully done. They’re melancholic, but there’s still so much hope to them. Very different from this story.”

“That’s not to say these stories aren’t well written, darling.” Rarity interjected, “But with such a multifaceted talent – author, poet, and columnist – you have so many avenues to pursue with your public readings. Don’t just settle on this one.”

Edger stared out to the skyline once more. He watched as the buildings themselves darkened to leave only their silhouette against the black sky. For a moment, it seemed as though the only thing that existed was that soft, white line. Luna’s moon had just begun to appear from behind the buildings; she was going to bring light to this dark street soon. He lifted another bottle of wine and filled the mares’ glasses as well as his and Script’s. There was no way Script would talk him out of this. Even if it meant going all the way to Ponyville, he would read his poems in front of another audience.

“What say us to a toast then? Are you heading back tomorrow? I will join you. I don’t have another reading for another week, so I can spare a few days in Ponyville.”

“Now Edger, you still have work to do with the Manehattener.” Script reminded him.

“Nonsense. You have enough of my commentary to last for a few weeks. Besides, what if this trip inspires me to write some more of these stories that everypony is so intrigued with?”

Script huffed and Edger knew he had won the argument. He turned to the three mares.

“Now how about that toast?”

As they tapped their glasses together, Twilight Sparkle thought to herself, Wow, Pinkie was right. She is going to meet somepony important.

As Edger and the mares continued talking, Script made his way to the window just as Luna's moon broke over the skyline. It was at that time a few errant clouds moved in front of it, and they blocked the light of the moon from the street. The change in light was almost imperceptible, but as Script turned around, he swore he could see a darkness settle over the four ponies he looked at.

Author's Note:

I guess I'm trying to use a classical style of horror with this, where it's not necessarily the action itself that is the horror, but rather the environment through the exposition parts of the story.