• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 1,215 Views, 43 Comments

The Mare With No Name - GC13



The Mare walks Equestria, just weeks after Discord's defeat, protecting ponies from the great beasts that now roam the nation. Nopony knows where she came from, and nopony knows where she is going.

  • ...
0
 43
 1,215

Issue 3: The Sisters' Rest Inn – Part One

"It's really funny, actually," Tilia said, head turned towards her own flank. "Most of my family has cutie marks about lemons: lemons, lemon trees, lemonade, lemon zest." She nodded to her own cutie mark and turned her head back the direction she was walking. "But here I am, with this sun beam instead."

"That must have been a surprise," the stranger said, her eyes scanning the woods that she and Tilia were walking through.

"Oh," Tilia said. "It wasn't such a big deal. My grandpa's cutie mark was a grass patch." Her mouth salivated a little bit as she remembered all of the meals she ate at her grandfather's farm. "He could grow the best hay you ever tasted." After clearing her mouth, she continued. "Anyway, it wasn't that much of a surprise: my mother had called me her 'little ray of sunshine' ever since I was just a foal. I guess it just fit."

"Cheer is an admirable trait to have," the stranger said, her eyes still scanning ahead. "I'm sure your friends miss you as much as your family."

Tilia's eyes turned down to the ground. Leaving her mother had been hard. Thinking about how much she meant to everypony else would have made the decision even more painful. From time to time, usually at night when everything was quiet, Tilia would still think about her parents and friends.

"I know they do," she said. "And I miss them too."

For several steps she walked with her head down. The loneliness was something the stories about heroes never seemed to talk about. After just a week away from home, Tilia had developed a new appreciation for how happy the reunions always were in the tales. She also appreciated how there always was a reunion.

On her next step, Tilia stamped her hoof determinedly into the ground and raised her gaze back up. She'd see everypony again, but until then she had to stay focused.

"You are a little ray of sunshine," the stranger said, her lips curling upwards in a smile. "Nothing can keep your spirit down for long."

Tilia smiled to the stranger, then turned to her own cutie mark and smiled at it too. Good cheer would help both of them on their journey: she knew it.

Curious, she turned to the stranger. "What about your cutie mark?" she asked. The stranger's cutie mark was of a hoof in some kind of a dark cloud, and like so many cutie marks didn't make much sense to anypony else. "What does that symbolize?"

The stranger's head turned slowly to the left, away from Tilia, and there was a brief pause before she spoke. "It's a Breaker," she said. "A kind of attack found at the top of most martial arts." While she examined the way ahead she explained further. "The cloud of magic that forms around the hoof in the Breaker used in my homeland is slate gray, just like my cutie mark." Her eyes narrowed a bit, and she turned her body the way she was looking.

Surprised by the sudden change of direction, Tilia walked forward on her own for a few steps before finally turning to match the mare's new direction. She added a bit of bounce in her step to catch up more quickly, but found the stranger had slowed down.

Tilia opened her mouth to ask if they were close, but when she tried to speak the air passed through her lips without making a sound. She felt something furry rubbing against her legs, but when she looked down she saw nothing.

Eyes wide, she tried to keep her breathing under control. There was no danger yet, she knew that. Sucking sharp breaths through clenched teeth, she reminded herself that she had been through this before.

When she looked up to the stranger it was like she was looking at her through a tunnel: she couldn't see anything but what was straight in front of her, and the loss of her peripheral vision meant what she could see felt even further away.

The stranger stepped out of the cart's harness, and crept slowly towards the edge of the river bed they were standing beside. She looked down for just a moment, getting her target in her sights.

"Stay here!"

With that, the stranger leapt over the edge. Tilia rushed forward, then brought herself sliding to an abrupt halt. Just as she was about to go over the edge her vision had returned to normal: what she thought had been a small, dry riverbed was actually a large gorge carved into the ground.

The gorge was at least a hundred feet across, and almost as deep. No water ran through it at the moment, but the silty soil lining the middle implied that it wasn't dry year-round.

The stranger finally hit the ground with a loud THUD, kicking up a small cloud of dust around each of her hooves. She began running up the gorge, and Tilia instinctively trotted after her even though there was no hope of matching her pace.

Looking ahead of the mare, Tilia could see her target: a black-furred fox of immense size. It was probably fifteen feet tall, from foot to shoulder, and much longer than that from nose to tail.

Tails, Tilia mentally corrected herself. The monster had many tails on its backside: sixteen if she guessed right, seeing the way the tail ends clustered together.

The beast snarled as it saw the stranger running towards it. Its teeth were enormous, sized to match the rest of its body, and a vile hatred glinted in its eye.

There was no room for patience in the monster, only hunger. It opened its mouth into a twisted grin and ran its tongue over its top row of teeth.

With far more speed than any creature of its size should have been capable of, the beast leapt forward and to the side. As soon as it had sure footing it lashed out at the oncoming mare, who was still charging forward at a tremendous pace.

One paw raised off of the ground, with four jagged claws jutting out of it. It was just a blur, black fur against brown dirt, from Tilia's vantage point. The monster leaned into the attack, putting all of the power its mighty body could behind the strike.

Halfway between the beast and the stranger, the blur stopped. The mare had turned her body and thrust forward with one forehoof, slamming it into the center of the creature's paw—safely below the savage claws.

The monster was still so much larger than her, though; the mare's head barely came up to the thing's knee. Even Tilia, having seen what the stranger was capable of, halfway expected her to be hurled back by the overwhelming superiority of mass the monster enjoyed. At the very least Tilia expected that she would be pushed back by the monster's attack until its paw could reach no further.

As soon as she saw what had happened, Tilia's eyes shot wide open and she looked down at the scene in sheer amazement. The mare had met the creature's blow so forcefully that she flung it straight back. The beast kicked up a gigantic cloud of dust as it slammed into the side of the gorge.

The mare charged forward, pressing the attack while the monster was off-balance. It quickly flipped itself back to its paws, but it began regarding the attacking pony cautiously. The beast's eyebrows furrowed as it evaluated the pony, and it kept its mouth open as it panted for breath. It crouched lower to the ground, sacrificing its ability to reach over the mare so easily in exchange for being more able to protect itself against an attack.

Most importantly, it arched the end of its back up and its tails waved high in the air in defiance of gravity. Their ends shifted and blurred together, now seeming to be made more of shadow than flesh and fur. It watched the stranger rush towards it, then clenched its jaw and tensed its back.

When it lashed out, the beast didn't strike with a paw, but with a tail. The chosen tail swung over the creature's back, the shadowy half growing in length until it was ever-so-close to the mare. Just over the stranger's head, and still arcing down, the end of the tail finally took a shape: a jaw, filled with teeth and wide open, large enough to bite the pony in half.

Tilia saw the stranger look up at the jaw, then spring to the side as it came crashing down towards her. The sharp CRACK the tail made as it whipped through the air finally reached her ears, followed by its crash into the ground as it missed its target.

Spitting dirt out, the jaw turned towards the mare like any animal infuriated at being out-done by its prey might. Rather than let it arch back for another attack, though, the stranger leapt forward with her hoof bent back and ready to strike.

The stranger's hoof shot forward, and the next sound to reach Tilia's ear was like the sound of an entire cabinet full of plates and glasses shattering at once. Pieces of the tail were already hitting the ground when Tilia could understand what had happened: starting from the point where the stranger had hit, then spreading from there, the entire tail had been turned to ice. Even the part that still looked furry had been transformed. From there, the simple force behind the attack had shattered the now-brittle appendage.

If it had been cautious before, the monster had become scared. Tilia squinted and leaned forward: she couldn't be sure, but she could swear that when the beast lost the tail it had shrunk as well.

Smaller or not, it scrambled backwards, trying to get away from the mare but knowing full well that exposing its back meant doom. It arched four more tails over its back, hanging them there as some kind of warning.

Paying them no heed, the stranger darted forward again. The tails came crashing down towards her, twisting into several dangerous shapes: a giant claw, a stinger, talons, and a nasty set of quills.

Again, the sound of so much ice breaking filled Tilia's ears as the tails were frozen and exploded one after another. This time Tilia could be sure: the loss of four tails at once had certainly shrunk the monster, though it was still standing somewhat close to its original height.

Losing so much strength and stature in one attack filled the monster with panic: it forgot its earlier caution, turning its back to the mare and running as quickly as it could up the gorge. Behind it, protecting the main body, floated its tails: one in the form of a fox's face in panic, its eyes shot wide open as it looked down at the onrushing pony and directed the others.

The stranger ran after it, tacking to the side to attempt to cut it off. Each time, however, it swept a tail to the side to strike her. It was trivial for her to reach up with a hoof and destroy the tail the same as all of the others, but the sacrifice achieved its aim: the mare was forced to slow down, giving the monster precious time to flee.

Tilia looked up and saw the creature's goal: it was fast approaching a rock wall that reached all the way to the top of the gorge. Several slices that ran the entire height of the wall were cut into it, like very tall caves that had no ceilings. They appeared to nest in unpredictable ways further inside, forming something of a maze.

In the final stretch of the race, the monster threw away two more tails to the stranger's attacks to buy itself as much distance from the pursuing mare as possible. The stranger crushed the ice under her hoof as she carried on with the chase, leaving what appeared to be rapidly melting snow in the deep hoofprint she left in the dirt.

Perhaps ten feet in front of the mare, just a little bit less than its reduced body length, the monster finally reached the slice it had been running towards. With a great leap it forced itself along those last few feet it needed to make it inside.

The stranger ran in after it without any thought or hesitation. Tilia slowed from a canter to a walk as she peered in, trying to make out how deep into the slice she could see. It was perplexing, though: even though she had been watching closely, she hadn't seen the mare go in at all. One moment she was outside in the gorge, the next she had vanished.

An orange shape in the corner of Tilia's vision demanded her attention. Her head quickly turned so she could look at it; sure enough she could see the stranger slowing herself to a stop.

She stood in the center of the gorge for several seconds, looking straight ahead into the slice the monster had darted into. Tilia's mouth hung open slightly, and she racked her brain trying to make sense of what had just happened. However that creature had shunted the stranger out of the slice, Tilia couldn't imagine she was happy about it.

When the stranger finally turned, Tilia expected her eyes to be filled with that determination the heroes in the stories always seemed to have in their eyes. Actually, though, she was wearing the same distant gaze she had worn ever since Tilia had first seen her.

As simply as one might hop over a puddle, the stranger leapt the eighty feet into the air back to the edge of the gorge and started walking towards Tilia.

The monster had gotten away. How? Bewildered, Tilia ran forward to meet the mare. When she finally reached the stranger, all of her questions fought one another in her throat. As a result, she simply looked up at the mare with her mouth hanging open and her eyes pleading for an explanation.

"It can't keep that magic up forever," the stranger said as she walked past Tilia. "Come. There is an inn nearby where we can stay."

Tilia turned around and hurried to again reach the stranger's side as she walked the long way back to the cart. Magic... Really, she knew she shouldn't be surprised. Even back in Lemon Grove the more talented unicorns could surprise her with some of their more ingenious tricks, and they had very limited abilities. What could the beasts they were chasing be capable of? Could they teleport themselves?

"Um..." Tilia stammered. When the stranger turned to her, still completely unmoved by the battle and its inconclusive end, the enormity of the monsters they were chasing after struck her for the first time since she left her home. Nervous, she swallowed before continuing. "How long do you think we'll have to wait?" The longer they waited nearby, the longer the monster had to decide to strike at a time of its choosing.

Looking into Tilia's eyes, the stranger's expression softened. "Just for the night," she said in a warm tone that reminded Tilia of her mother. "It will want to lick its wounds, and will be focusing its attention on its wards to make sure I don't cross them. By the morning its guard will be down."


"The Sisters' Rest Inn?" Tilia asked, her excitement showing clearly through her voice. "The first place the Sisters ever appeared?"

The stranger nodded her head and smiled. "The very same." The mare stepped out of the cart's harness, then walked back to Tilia's side.

The inn wasn't very large, but the sign bearing its name was enormous. It would be easily visible from the road during the winter months when the trees lost their leaves, but was currently comfortably secluded half a mile up its woodland path. Peering around, Tilia could see the wonderful view each of the rooms must have of the valley behind the inn.

Grinning widely, Tilia stepped eagerly towards the door. When the stranger suddenly blocked her path with her left leg, Tilia almost felt hurt. She looked up at the mare with eyes just as wide as they were back at the gorge. Everypony had heard of the inn, and she was so close.

"Just a moment," the stranger said, looking towards the door. There was that tone she had in her voice again: danger. Tilia gritted her teeth and turned her head back to the door. Nervous, she wondered what might be waiting for them behind it.

True to her word, though, the stranger held Tilia for just a moment before withdrawing her leg. "Alright," she said in her matter-of-fact tone. "Now we may go in." She took the lead herself, stepping through the swinging doors and walking straight into the lobby.

Wary, Tilia stayed two steps behind her. She stopped briefly in the doorway, using a hoof to catch the door as it swung back at her before following the stranger in.

Everything looked normal enough inside—certainly there was nothing dangerous waiting to pounce on them. The entire floor was made of a dark, hard wood polished to a beautiful shine, and several lush purple rugs added a touch of elegance to the room. A brighter-colored wood had been chosen for the walls, keeping the room from feeling like an empty cavern, and sky blue shades covered the windows.

Every so often on the walls there was some token or another: paintings of previous owners, a tapestry of the sun and the moon, even a few saddles with plaques beneath them. The front desk was stationed opposite from the door, and a gray-coated unicorn stood behind it.

Standing in between the door and the desk, however, was a pedestal. On it, inside a box made of glass, rested a brilliant orange crystal half the size of Tilia's hoof. Around the pedestal sat a special-cut rug woven to look like the sun.

"Good day," the stranger said, briefly looking ahead to the desk. She stepped around the pedestal, though as she did she turned her head so she could get a closer look at the crystal it held. As she examined it she raised an eyebrow. After she passed the pedestal she turned her head forward to the innkeeper.

"A sun crystal?" she asked him. "You must be quite proud: the Sisters do not bestow their favor lightly."

Far from beaming with pride, the unicorn gritted his teeth. "That's true," he said, looking the stranger in the eyes. After a long pause, during which the stranger finished approaching the desk, he forced a smile. "I... Suppose you'd like to rent lodging?"

The stranger nodded, then looked back to the door. Her eyes fell on Tilia still standing close by it, and she narrowed her eyes.

Tilia swallowed uneasily. She took in a deep breath and looked behind herself before walking further into the lobby. As she exhaled through clenched teeth, she tried to step while making as little noise as possible. Finally, she made her way onto one of the purple rugs and sat herself down facing the side wall. From there, she could look at the front desk or the door just as easily.

"Well," the innkeeper said, still making eye contact with the stranger. "It's been pretty busy here," he said. "I, er... Think we're all booked up." He finally broke eye contact to turn to the side. "Oh, yeah," he said, turning back to the stranger. "Sorry, you'll need to head about six more miles down the road to Lakeside Inn. I'm sure they have a vacancy this time of the week."

The mare returned the innkeeper's eye contact. "Is it the deer?" she asked.

As soon as she mentioned "the deer" the innkeeper twitched. He didn't say anything, but he nodded his head in affirmation then motioned towards the stairs to the second floor.

The stranger turned not to the stairs, but to the front door. "You might as well come inside," she said without raising her voice. "I know you can hear me."

Tilia's head immediately turned to her left, and she fixed her eyes on the door. She didn't hear the hoofsteps, but she could see the shadows as they stepped towards the inn.

Then the door swung open, revealing a doe. Her coat was beautiful, light brown with small white spots, but she wore a terrible scowl on her face. Tilia shot to her hooves and scrambled behind the stranger.

Peering out from behind her, Tilia could see the others arrive: two more does followed closely behind the first, and walked with her to the right side of the inn. A few seconds passed before the next group entered: a doe leading a buck and a second doe. They took a position on the left side of the inn.

All of the deer looked stern. Tilia shrunk back behind the stranger, trying as hard as she could to disappear. Still, she could not help but peek out at the scene that was playing out.

The three does, on her right, leaned forward. Their leader's eyes moved between the stranger, Tilia, and the innkeeper, while the two followers had focused their attention: one on the stranger and one on Tilia.

The second group had taken a more hesitant posture. Standing ahead of her two subordinates, the leader's muscles were tensed. Her attention was focused completely on the stranger, and the doe and buck behind her were following her lead.

"What is the meaning of this?" the stranger demanded of the two deer. While she spoke relatively calmly, she still sounded quite firm. She stood tall, and drilled her eyes into the deer.

"I am Rani, of the Nagi!" the leader of the first group exclaimed, refusing to back down. "My sika claims this treasure, and you have no right to interfere."

The second leader bristled as Rani spoke. She briefly turned away from the stranger to give her rival a hateful glare. "We claim it as well," she spat before turning back to the stranger. "I am Zannah, of the Coda," she said, nodding her head respectfully. "We also mean to claim this treasure for our sika."

Tilia could hear the innkeeper shaking as he cowered on the ground behind the counter. The stranger must have heard him too, keen as her ears were, as she turned her head slightly back towards him.

"You seem to have made quite the impression," the stranger said as she turned her head back towards the deer. "Are you always so callous in your dealings with others?"

Rani stamped a hoof onto the floor, and the clack resounded through the lobby. Afraid of what might follow the outburst, Tilia closed her eyes and ducked behind the stranger again as the sound bounced off of the walls and into her ears over and over. Only the sound of the mare's breath, even and measured as always, reached Tilia's ears after the echoing died down. It was comforting, like a mother's heartbeat to a foal. The room was still, and Tilia found the courage to open her eyes and peer around the stranger again.

After Rani's hoof stomp, the doe and buck in Zannah's group had turned to face her rather than the stranger. They gradually relaxed their muscles, but they remained arched forward and ready to repel an attack. Both had picked out one of the two does following Rani to look up and down, evaluating them for any hostile intent.

Rani and her followers glared back at them. The two does behind her seemed to be doing the same as Zannah's followers, preparing for a fight, but Rani herself quickly turned away dismissively.

"Would the Coda not be so cowardly," she said, chin upturned. "The matter would have been settled days ago." She snorted and looked to Zannah. "But we will not stoop to their level."

Zannah stepped one hoof forward. "I keep telling you, Unworthy One." She slowly dragged her hoof back to its original place, the slow scraping sound making Tilia's back tingle. "There will come a time when our patience is expired, and you no longer have a choice."

The stranger took three steps forward, surprising everypony. Zannah flinched, hopping half a foot backwards and reorienting herself towards the mare. The two deer with her followed her lead and adjusted their defensive posture towards the stranger.

Rani took one small step back, keeping her eyes locked on the stranger's. Seeing that the Coda were focused on the mare, she nodded her head once. Her two followers obeyed her instruction, and turned away from Zannah to face the stranger.

Finding herself suddenly standing exposed, Tilia looked from side to side. Everypony was facing the stranger, who was now well towards the center of the room. Teeth clenched, she ducked down and scurried behind the front desk.

The innkeeper was still behind the desk as well, his two front hooves covering his head. He was shaking violently like a tree in a strong wind, and his teeth had begun to chatter as well. In and out he breathed, much too quickly. Signs of fear that Tilia, unfortunately, was getting far too used to experiencing herself.

She gently placed her hoof onto his shoulder. "Everything will be fine," she whispered as reassuringly as she could. The poor stallion... She only ever had to face scary things for a few minutes at a time, but the deer said they had been arguing like this for days.

The innkeeper's teeth slowly stopped their chattering as he regained control of his jaw. He took a deep breath, held it, then let it out slowly. Putting on as brave a face as she could, Tilia patted his shoulder once more as he took in another deep breath, then turned herself back towards the counter. Sticking just her eyes above the desk, she returned her attention to the scene unfolding in the lobby.

Everypony was standing still: the deer arched and defensive, the stranger tall and imposing. She was the first one to move, slowly sweeping her head from Rani on her right to Zannah on her left. Finally, she centered her gaze on the pedestal standing just a short distance in front of her, and the crystal it held.

"Worth."

She let the single word hang in the room. The deer gradually relaxed their stances, and their battle-ready expressions softened as their curiosity started to show.

"The favor of the Sisters, as valuable as it is, is not worth anypony's life."

Her head again turned to Rani, then back to Zannah. Both leaders' eyes were filled with determination, and they clearly disagreed: the crystal obviously meant a great deal to both of them.

Turning back to the crystal, the stranger slowly shook her head with disappointment. When the crystal began to glow ever so slightly, casting a gentle light, she stopped her nodding and focused on it. None of the deer seemed to show any sort of recognition, but after a moment the stranger nodded twice.

"If you must risk your lives then," she said, the words sounding heavy in her throat. "I know a feat of skill that would decide your contest." Slowly shaking her head from side to side with disappointment, she sighed.

Rani and Zannah looked to one another. Each carefully appraised the other, then turned back towards the stranger. Both leaders gave a single nod, in unison, to the mare.

"A ferocious beast of great power rests in a gorge not far from here," the mare explained. "If you enter its hiding place, it will stalk you, then attack you. Whoever defeats it may take the crystal, with no more violence." She turned towards Rani. "Is this satisfactory to you?"

The doe closed her eyes and contemplated. She took in a sharp breath and immediately exhaled, then opened her eyes again. "Yes," she said. "If the Coda shall agree to those terms, then the Nagi shall agree as well."

All eyes turned to Zannah. The doe's wary eyes turned first to Rani, then back to the stranger. Finally, her gaze fell on Tilia.

"I have one condition to add," she said.

The stranger tensed slightly. Clearly displeased, she nonetheless nodded. "And it is?" she asked.

"She must accompany us."

Tilia clenched her teeth and swallowed. Getting in close to the monster? Even after it had been weakened so much, it was still a frightening prospect. She was forced to put more of her weight onto the counter as her hind legs started to shake.

The stranger turned back towards Tilia with the same furrowed brows she had worn when Tilia had still been standing by the door while the deer crept about outside. As best as she could, the mare weighed her options.

Making calculations of her own, Tilia looked down at the innkeeper. He had calmed down a lot, but he was still cowering on the floor. If she and the stranger hadn't come along, the deer would surely have fought each other for the crystal eventually. Were the stranger to simply wait, deal with the monster, and leave, who knew how much longer the innkeeper would have to live in fear? Or what sort of damage the battle would do?

As bad as that was, Tilia realized that simply stopping the deer might be even worse. When the stranger fought huge monsters, she knocked them all over the place. What damage would she do to a much smaller creature? Even if she held herself back? Not worth anypony's life... she had said.

Tilia shuddered. "Okay," she said, her eyes closed. There was nothing else she could do—not as long as the deer were set on getting the crystal without care for the cost. She swallowed again then opened her eyes. "I'll do it."

The stranger nodded once. "Very well." She turned back to Zannah. "I expect you to take care of her."

Zannah bowed her head halfway to the floor. "As if she were one of my own." There was a grave solemnity to her voice. Again, though, determination filled her eyes—and all of the deer. Perhaps they were truly so skilled, or perhaps they didn't know what kind of threat they had agreed to face.

Tilia stepped out from behind the counter and approached the stranger. Involuntarily, she gritted her teeth again.

"Don't worry Tilia," the stranger said. "You'll be fine." Her expression said differently, however. Eyebrows furrowed, she was clearly worried.

"Everything will be fine," Zannah said as she approached the pair. "Even one warrior of the Coda is more than a match for any beast. It won't know what hit it."