• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 1,162 Views, 58 Comments

Diprosopus - WritingSpirit



In a world torn by conspiracy, hate and a grand conflict with an old, mysterious enemy that once was thought to have fallen, Rarity and Pinkie, in their own separate paths, will come to find that the world they live in was not as it all seemed.

  • ...
5
 58
 1,162

Nox Caedibus

Elysium forgive her for not coming sooner.

To Princess Celestia, her fear was poignant when she stepped into the center of Ponyville. It was a late trip she arranged with Luna after they had a therapeutic discussion over a fine dinner. The ocean of grief was visible even from her distant balcony of the bedroom back at her palace; wandering closer may only set the spark for a bigger flame. Still, had she came earlier, she probably wouldn't have the same twinge in her gut like she has now.

The citizens of Ponyville were too busy scurrying around to notice her presence, their daily lives all summed up into the fostering of the injured from the Manehatten Cataclysm. Even the children were tasked with jobs they would usually find daunting. Bandages after roll of bandages were strewn across the open fields, the occasional spilled bottle of medicine was left ignored and cries of grief and pain ring from every corner. The yellow sky was dark, not in hue but in mood. Every face she saw was weary and silent, bleached from any sort of joy.

Surprising really, how numb they were all to it.

Both Luna and herself.

"Ah don't know what to say..."

There were others who came along besides her younger sister. Others who had never seen death to such a degree. Others whose time was mostly spent in an era of peace, the years prior to the destruction of Pendant Lakes being exceptionally so. Applejack, being a denizen of Ponyville itself, could not lie to anypony if she said she was not one of them. In fact, she wanted to believe that all of it was a lie. In the end, she would only lie to herself; being the terrible liar she was, she already knew how that would turn out.

"There's so many of them..." she finally spoke without a stammer.

"All over Sweet Apple Acres... the whole of Manehatten, right here..."

It was abrupt, but when Applejack got the invitation from one of the guards, she couldn't bring herself to refuse. The Princesses were specific with those that were picked, apparently from what she heard. In the end, however, only a quarter of those invited showed up. Aside from the usual guards accompanying the alicorns, there was Fleur De Lis, who had been yearning to search for her daughter and Spitfire, who came along with some of the other Wonderbolts to help out on some of the duties.

Her friends were all invited as well, but each one had their reasons for declining. Twilight had her research, Fluttershy and Rainbow, as well as their husbands, had their foals to take care of and Rarity, being Rarity, would not stomach it easily, which also leaves Spike out of the question. Among those that came, however, were Kane, who served as their transport (and to a certain degree, some emotional support) and, despite her own objections against it, Apple Bloom.

The teenager was appalled, to give an understatement. Seeing her home in such a pestilent state carved a hole in her heart. Even the grand apple trees she had slept under one too many times seemed to shrivel in the wake of the disaster. Smoke from the distant ruin of Manehatten still plagued the air, tainting the clouds with a grayer facade, reminding them, warning them. She was too young to understand what it was saying. Still, it said something to her. Something... sinister.

"They're down there, aren't they?" she said, turning to Applejack.

"Ah sure hope so," Applejack answered heftily, before bringing up a smile.

"Don't ya worry about a thing. Ah'm sure Babs will be alright."

That could become the best lie she would've ever told. With heads held high, the group marched forward into the realm below, passing by tent after tent housing the traumatized, the injured and the deceased. Frequent stops came with some familiar faces that were spotted, mostly by Fleur and Spitfire who knew some of the Manehatten nobles, though there were some Apples among the orchard. One after another, Applejack was laundered with relief; the trepidation that came with the journey was ebbing away in her.

Throughout the small reunions, Princess Celestia remained unfazed, often giving small smiles in the wake of a trivial celebration her subjects were having. Her focus still wavered over the damage or, if not, the potential damage that could be done. It was blow after consecutive blow to her foundations; she had been losing the trust of too many, perhaps as much as the trust she lost in others, what with the probable inside job with the Canterlot Barracks.

"Sir," she muttered, approaching one of the medical officers the Royal Guard stationed to tend to a line of refugees, his back turned to her. Aside from the frenetic scribbles on a clipboard, he seemed composed for one in such a situation. That was all she needed right now.

"May I have a word with you for a moment?"

"I'm afraid you'll have to get in line if you need a medical examination, Miss."

The alicorn cleared her throat, restraining a giggle at the look on his face when he turned around to confront her. Immediately, he dropped his clipboard and got down to his shaking knees, his head plunged down in shame. That sight was enough to make Luna snicker, which was quickly silenced with a furtive glare.

"M-My apologies, Mis-- ahh!! Your Highness!!" he stammered shakily.

"I d-didn't realize you were--"

"It's okay," she reassured him with a smile.

"I was told that the officers here gathered the overall statistics and demographics of the refugees."

"Yes, Your Highness," was his answer, before adding on:

"If you want it, I can get it for you from my superiors, Your Highness. It may take a while though. Have to deal with the last of the patients first, Your Highness, not to mention the sanctions, paperwork and such."

"I'll help him, Your Highness," Spitfire spoke up, trotting forward.

"I have close ties with one of the senior officers stationed here. Might take a little nudge, but it'll speed things up a bit."

"I'll gladly appreciate it, thank you."

Even in times of war, some of the brightest souls would emerge. Princess Celestia had lived long enough to see many who would offer themselves to even the most trivial matters. War may bring out the worst in some, but it also brings out the best. Often enough, however, stories of the latter would unfortunately be obfuscated among the throes and paroxysms of history. Shame, really.

Leaving both of them to their duties, the group carried on, cantering slowly across the meadow even as ponies around them rushed about. Applejack could feel herself trembling already from the sudden outbursts of sobbing and screams of pain all around; even when Kane comforted her with his wing, she could still feel it as if it was a scorpion crawling on her back, stinger poised to strike. Striking a glance at Fleur, she would seem pretty composed, but Applejack knew her facade was quickly cracking underneath, the tiring desperation of looking for her daughter already showing in her weary eyes.

"I'll wait at the barn," Kane suddenly spoke up and turned to head off, though not before glancing back at Applejack.

"Stay strong, my love."

"Ah will."

Sure enough, after the arduous trip on the lane among the suffering, they finally arrived at the Apple household. Praying in her heart, Applejack held her breath as she reached for the doorknob, every joint tensed up in preparation for something, anything, that could happen. With a deep sigh, she began to turn it when all of a sudden, the knob flew free off her hooves, the door swinging wide open to reveal a rigid and grisly, if not familiar, face.

"L-Lil' Strong!" she stammered out of surprise.

"AJ?" the buffalo exclaimed, almost tumbling backward.

"I... I can't believe it! What are you doing here? I thought you were in Canterlot!"

"Ah wanted to come back as soon as Ah can," was the mare's hurried explanation, stepping in with the rest following behind.

"How's Aunt Orange? Is she alright?"

"Fine. Doctor said she'll come to in a couple of weeks and--"

Immediately, Little Strongheart stopped short, her jaw dropping at the sight of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna striding in the room, both giving her warm, welcoming smiles. Much to the surprise of everypony else, the buffalo suddenly knelt down before the wide-eyed alicorns, head dropped down onto the floor as if out of fear.

"Y-Your Highnesses!!" she cried out fervently.

"It's an honor to be in your presence! My ancestors have told great stories about you!! Wondrous stories!!"

"As all ancestors do," Princess Luna quipped under her breath, earning a cough from her sister.

"Rise, Little Strongheart," Princess Celestia said, beckoning the excited buffalo up.

"It is rare to see a buffalo on Equestrian soil in this season. Most of the herds should be migrating towards the western lands by now, yet you... chose to stay behind, I presume?"

"Yes, Your Highness. W-With my uh... coltfriend, Braeburn, Your Highness."

"What did Ah tell ya, AJ?" Apple Bloom piped up cheekily at her sister, who managed to chuckle herself.

"Ah knew cuz'n Brae and Lil' Strong will get together!"

"Alright, Apple Bloom. Speakin' of which, where's Braeburn anyway?"

"Upstairs, sleeping," Little Strongheart answered, taking a moment to sigh.

"I'm glad he decided to to let himself go for once. All that work's gonna give him a heatstroke."

"Is Babs here as well?"

"She went out with her... therapist, I think," was the reply, much to the delight of both Applejack and Apple Bloom.

"Heard that Babs was saved by her from whatever happened in Manehatten. They might come back any second--"

Almost as if on cue, the door creaked open again, this time with Babs trotting in. She stopped when the first hoof landed on the mat, gawking at all the visitors crowding the house, only to be immediately seized into a hug by her favorite cousin.

"A-Apple Bloom?" she stuttered, breaking into a teary smile.

"What are you doin' here? Cous'n Brae told me y'all down at Canterlot!"

"Ah w-wanted to see if ya alive and--" Apple Bloom swallowed, cutting herself short before letting out a languid, quivering sigh.

"It's... it's good to see ya safe, Babs."

"Typical AB. Tryin' to act all mature."

"Hey, at least Ah'm trying, Babs! Ah don't see you acting mature all the time!"

"That's cause Ah don't need ta act! Ah already am!"

"Haybrains!"

"Mudwallower!"

"Dinglebat!"

"Pumpkinhead!"

"Babs, I told you, you can't just pick a fight from anypony just because they said some things about you and--"

The voice came from outside the house, the mare that it belonged to stepping in. Just like Babs, Fantasia too was taken aback from all the visitors in the house, though there was one in particular that really made her jaw drop. She stepped forward, almost collapsing from her wobbling hooves, even blinking a few times to make sure she wasn't imagining it. Nevertheless, Fleur was standing there before her, ridden with disbelief as well.

"M-Mom...?"

"Thank Celestia!!" cried the model, who immediately embraced her own daughter; a face she has not seen for months. It was a reunion, dampening with tears that soaked in Fantasia's mane from her mother. There were no words to be said, just the intense sobbing of Fleur, her emotions finally caving in. As a therapist and a daughter, Fantasia Praeclarus knew what had to be done: she kept her silence, instead hugging her mother tighter with a smile and a tear in her eye. What words that may come in shall be reserved for a later time.

Princess Celestia just grinned warmly at the sight. For Applejack and Little Strongheart, it was a reunion of friends; for Apple Bloom and Babs, it was cousins; for Fleur and Fantasia, it was parent and child. It reminded her of that time, back in her old, derelict castle, when she was reunited with her own sister. Now, Luna stood next to her, perhaps thinking the same thought as well. Of their reunion.

The reunion of sisters.

It was a heartwarming sight, yet speaking of which, it still bothered her.

"I have something to tell you, Luna."

A nod from the younger alicorn. Leaving the rest to rejoice, the Royal Sisters trotted out onto the porch, quietly shutting the door behind them. Sighing to herself, Princess Celestia bit her lip as her sister turned to her, waiting for her to say something, yet however uncertain she may be, Luna still has the right to know.

"I had a talk," she began.

"With Discord."

"I know."

Princess Celestia raised her eyebrow, before grumbling:

"I told you not to look at my dreams anymore, Luna."

"I couldn't help it if something's been bothering you, sister," Luna replied sternly.

"So... he wanted something more, didn't he?"

"Yes."

"And? Was it just as we feared?"

"I'm afraid so," the older alicorn said, gazing out at the distant Canterlot.

"But it's just like that, isn't it? A reunion... it's as simple as it is."

"We can't just trust him like that, sister," Princess Luna interjected.

"Discord... he could be using you to get what he wants. Even if we get them all together, how can we be sure that they would willingly follow as they were told? Why would the other leaders even bother? If this turns out to be something that he's doing just to get us all back in the end, we wouldn't be able to fight back. There must be certainly another way to keep the stability of Equestria without the need of the rest."

"What Discord proposed was just a possibility. I haven't made up my mind yet."

"Yet it seems to me that you have, Tia."

"It was only a promise, Luna," Celestia snapped.

"I put the safety of Equestria above a thousand year old contract, sister. I thought you knew that. Even if I wanted to, I would put it aside and look for a better possibility to settle it all without need of the others. Until then, Discord's method is, nevertheless, a solution worth considering."

"Your Highness?"

Both alicorns turned to see Spitfire stepping up onto the porch, unsure of how long she had been there or how much of the conversation she listened to. Nevertheless, the Wonderbolt handed to them a clipboard, her lips clenched fearfully. Taking it with a thankful nod, Princess Celestia flipped through its contents, yet with each page, her face gradually grew darker, her brows furrowing. Grimly, she handed it to Luna, the numbers stunning the younger alicorn even more so.

"Did the officers run through the numbers twice?" Princess Celestia questioned.

"Five times, Your Highness," Spitfire replied despondently.

"Same results all the way through."

"Impossible..." Luna muttered, almost throwing the clipboard onto the floor.

"Sister, if this goes public--"

"We'll have to make it public eventually."

Princess Celestia wouldn't want to hear the end of it. Once the number of casualties come out, it would only serve to petrify and tunnel into the wall of harmony they have been struggling to maintain throughout the nation. To have such an enemy that could murder hundreds and thousands, perhaps even millions... it would frighten her as much as it would frighten her subjects. None of the leaders would involve themselves into this and in the end, when they give up hope and abandon them, all would be lost.

Unless...

"Sister, you couldn't possibly be considering--"

"What choice do we have left, Luna?"" she rasped, snatching the clipboard forcefully with her magic.

"Look at this! Look at what's happening before you! If Janus could do this, imagine what else could he do to the rest of Equestria. If we could consult for the help of everypony else, they might figure out some way of holding them back and keeping Equestria from harm. If not, what do you suggest we do, just sit back and welcome him?"

Luna just shirked back, gritting her teeth. With a wrinkle of her snout, Celestia gazed back at her suffering subjects, spitefully grumbling underneath her breath. However much of a trap it may be, Discord's suggestion was the only thing that was crystal clear in her head. It might be their only hope of getting Equestria up to its hooves again; only time will tell what might happen next.

"I'm sorry, sister," she finally said.

"But Discord's method is now the only solution worth considering."

O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

"Persimmon."

The dead mare marched onward.

"Persimmon Cryoheart."

The blind stallion followed.

"For Celestia's sake, Persimmon."

"Can't talk, Brineheart," she hissed.

"If your observational skills haven't picked it up yet, doctor, we're out in the open where Sidus's hounds could rip us apart like a pair of straw ragdolls. A trivial conversation isn't worth a penny compared to your life."

"Even when you're dead, you still possess your literacy."

"It is one of those things I took to my grave, Caduceus."

The doctor couldn't help but snort with laughter, though he took heed of her advice and kept the necessary silence. The duo had just recently departed from the forsaken orphanage, having opted to proceed when Persimmon talked about a safer place down the lanes of Standard & Dale. Aside from the fact that it was closer to the palace, Caduceus had hoped to encounter Stellar or Jovern along the way. It was as if the two of them disappeared, the latter especially so, yet he knew they would be hiding safely somewhere that their pursuers wouldn't notice them.

Once again, he came across the field of thorns: a macabre monument to commemorate the sunflowers that once grew there. Stopping in his tracks, he sighed a wistful, morose sigh, turning towards Persimmon only to see her frowning at the sight as well. Understandable, considering she was an admirer of the sunflowers as well.

"Do you miss this place?" he found himself asking.

"As it is now? Heck no," she declared, stopping to chuckle softly.

"But if you're talking about it back then... of course I do. The road itself brings back a lot of memories and that's already saying something. There's a lot more things I remembered doing here."

"Do you remember the sunflowers?"

Persimmon stopped, almost as if surprised by that question, before smiling knowingly.

"Yes, I do. Yellow petals with an occasional golden one or two. Large green towers that rise up to the heavens like skyscrapers. A black eye that stares at everything in its wake. Of course, there's one more detail only the frequent passerby would notice."

"The westerly wind that blows, urging you to head home," Caduceus answered it without a hitch.

"And to think you loved the Big Apple when you were fifteen."

"I still do, though not out of naivete this time."

"You imagined it to be better."

"Not exactly. I imagined it to be a sanctuary."

It had been a good dream then, though it was shattered as easily as a demolition would be in the mentioned city. They always said Manehatten was the city of silver lights and golden dreams. On the flip side, they always forget to mention that it was also a city of broken bones and shattered memories, if a pony was given the wrong advice. Persimmon found that out the hard way when her career nearly came crashing down after her dalliances with some narcotics; if it weren't for her three daughters, she would die a mare of little worth and prospering with shame.

"It was actually, for a little while," she continued solemnly, settling onto the broken road.

"Then... well... Pendant Lakes suddenly seemed like a paradise. By the time I realized it, it was already too late. I've built my career too high up for me to quit, pack my bags and come back here. Come back home. I missed it a lot, especially Standard & Dale."

Caduceus couldn't agree more, sitting right beside her.

"Oh, the fond memories we all shared together..."

A tranquil silence befell upon them, both stallion and mare dwelling in a haven of memories, their eyes closed in a relishing of what their experiences have amounted to. There were some that were shared between them, though Persimmon's stumbling into a particular thought snapped her eyes open for a moment. A faint blush rising in her cheeks, she edged herself closer towards her friend, giving a nudge on his shoulder.

"Do you remember something, Caduceus?" she asked, bearing a smile.

"Something else about the sunflowers?"

"What?" he asked, a little uncertain.

"Didn't we cover everything about it?"

"There's one last thing. The day we came here together."

"We came here almost every day, Persimmon," Caduceus pointed out.

"Where's the specialty in that?"

"I'm talking about that day."

It took a moment for him to fully comprehend what she meant, but when the doctor did, he started blushing a deeper red than the mare, his eyes waning over to the side in an effort to avoid Persimmon's ardent stare. The mare, of course, chuckled warmly, even as her cheeks started to grow redder as well. It was all in the past, yet the feelings of that day were still permeating within a field of clarity.

"You do remember, don't you?" she asked softly.

"We were young then. Around our twenties, I guess? You asked me for a walk, just to talk over some things and I agreed. We came here, stopped to have a look at the sunflowers and then... you did it... you stole my first kiss."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be sorry for that, Cade," she muttered, using a pet nickname that was kept only between the two.

"It's not as if I didn't like it... in fact, I actually quite enjoyed it myself."

"But you were already with Caesar then--"

"And I regretted not leaving him sooner. You know, just take Dahlia, Tulip and Ivy and probably skip town. One day, I did just that and went to Manehatten. It was the best and worst decision I've ever made in my life."

Persimmon bit her lip, looking up again at the field of thorns before her.

"Don't get me wrong, leaving him felt great. I felt free doing that. It's just... I shouldn't have headed to Manehatten. I should've stayed behind, lived somewhere else in town, settle with the divorce papers and get it over with instead of running away. Stellar could help me get a room or two in the palace and maybe... maybe we could've been together, just like you wanted to."

"I never wanted it," Caduceus stated firmly.

"It was just a teenage infatuation. Nothing more."

"Yet you never did find a mare you would call yours after that," she reciprocated. It took her a brief moment of silence to stutter a question.

"Caduceus, am I...?"

"What?"

"Am I... haunting you?"

"Considering the notion of your untimely demise, I would say exceptionally so."

"You know what I meant," Persimmon chided.

"You loved me too much to let me go. Even when I was with Caesar, you repressed your feelings, but those feelings were there all the same. When I left for Manehatten, I could see it in you. You, trying to stop me from leaving. You would've done it, I know, but you didn't want to upset me after all the hell I've been through. Sure, I wanted to leave right away, but at the same time, I couldn't just put you and the other guys aside like that."

"So I promised to myself," she continued, almost painfully.

"I promised that one day, I would come back to visit Pendant Lakes and see all of you, but you in particular, Cade. In fact, when I sat on the train to Manehatten, I told myself that I will come back despite everything that happened. Then Mirror Mare happened... Harmony happened... I knew I had to give up any hope of ever coming back here and so... I did. In that moment of passing on... I knew it would break you."

"You seem really certain of that."

"You're a coward, Cade. Always was one. You would never show it around the boys."

Persimmon gently wrapped her hoof around and clung lightly onto Caduceus's hoof, much to his surprise.

"You never asked why I was here."

"Why? Weren't you aiding us?"

"Like Harmony, I had unfinished business to tend to. Yes, it had something to do with helping you two out, but..."

"But?"

"I'm not entirely sure yet," Persimmon admitted.

"It's... it's coming to me, but very slowly."

"Speaking of unfinished business, we have to move on--"

Before he could even finish his sentence, Caduceus felt a small peck on his lips. It was short and sweet, yet when broken apart it was enough to make his jaw drop to the stone pavement below. With that done, Persimmon elicited a giggle, which grew into a snicker when she saw the look of exasperated disbelief on his face.

"W-What was that for?!"

"Just for old time's sake," she teased.

"Think you could do better?"

"W-Well..." the doctor fumbled, scratching his head.

"I could, but weren't you the one that said we shouldn't be in the--"

That was all she needed to hear.

A jab into his sides made him fall over, down the sandy hill and into a mound. With a groan, Caduceus looked up to see Persimmon, his adolescent crush, the mare he had always admired, the angel, all in one, straddling his chest. Before the doctor could protest, she leaned in close, lips almost touching lips, breathing intensified. Surprisingly enough, she snatched his rifle again with one hoof.

"If anything comes by, even if it's Stellar, I'll shoot it," she hissed, before smiling.

"But for now, Cade..."

"For now?" Caduceus whimpered, excited yet fearful of what is to come, to which Persimmon replied before their lips touched once more.

"Just shut up and kiss me."

O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

It wasn't easy being the Oracle.

It especially wasn't easy being one tried for attempted murder.

Artemis, the albino fawn, held her head high, facing Her Lady Protector and Goddess, Princess Crystallia of the snowy realm of Byafisogsne. There she was, standing in the infamous Fangens Kasse, the Prisoner's Box, in the center of an amphitheater of tables made from carved ice and cedar wood while the other priestesses looked down at her, frowning and murmuring to each other. Usually she would be by the alicorn's stead, trying others for their crimes. Now, standing there where criminals once stood, she knew it would be her first and final experience.

Death seemed upon her, having seen her Princess's glorious executions one too many times. She learned from it all that the sensation of ice splitting one's skin can create quite a strange kind of pain that blurs the lines of numbness and agony. It was as if one can substitute the other, like rubbing salt in the wound. That and the giddy, maniacal joy Princess Crystallia has when succumbing to her most repressed desires.

It was cracking, the icy calm facade she was used to seeing.

Sanity was only a passing fad in these parts, after all.

"My dear Artemis."

The fawn felt the world tremble around her, only to realize that it was her hooves doing the trembling. She was always afraid of Princess Crystallia somehow; it was only tonight that she dared talking back to the superior being. Perhaps it was all driven by the caravan, who bewildered her with all their efforts of cutting the princess short with their words. For that, she reserved a touch of admiration. Well then, she told herself with a stiffening of her hooves, might as well go down swinging.

"My Lady Protector," she quipped back.

"I must say, in this night alone, you have surprised me with what you... achieved," Princess Crystallia began sternly.

"Running off before being dismissed, attempted murder, trying to save a life you almost ended by dragging it across the forest. What really caught me, however, was your attitude. For once, you've shown, without doubt, confidence."

"Yes, I did."

"Lo and behold, the Oracle bore confidence. Unheard of, truly."

"I just wanted to save her!" Artemis protested.

"You were... you were in the way..."

"I was in the way?"

It came out as a scoff, then it grew into a chuckle, then it grew to the most hysterical, frenzied bout of laughter from Princess Crystallia the fawn's ears had ever been brought to witness. She glanced around at the other deer as their leader cackled on, unsurprisingly spotting the same looks of fear and worry focused not onto her, but to the well-being of the alicorn.

"I was in the way!" Princess Crystallia repeated jovially, looking at all her subjects.

"All of you heard her? I was in the way!! Me!!"

The alicorn's raving stopped as suddenly as it started, the calm demeanor once again setting in, save for a few pants. Even her cold smile vanished, leaving behind only an emotionless mien left for display. Artemis steadied herself, ready to withstand whatever onslaught Princess Crystallia may bring upon her next.

"If I weren't in the way," she said with macabre tenderness.

"Your... sister... would be dead."

"I know."

"Then what would become of the Oracle?"

"She's a fantasy. A ghost of imagination," the fawn asserted.

"Nothing would become of her, as she had came from nothing."

"You've done well under my tutelage."

"So is that what you would be doing to me?" Artemis questioned.

"Wipe me off the face of this earth and treat me as if I never existed?"

"I'm considering it."

"You got rid of a countless number of your 'dear' Oracles in the past. What difference would one more make?"

"You have been blind to the changing world, Artemis."

Much to the surprise of all the deer in the room, Princess Crystallia started to strut off her podium and towards the baffled Artemis. It was a strange sight to behold for all of them; there was an exasperated yet dreamy atmosphere around her. There were only a few times that Artemis herself had seen the alicorn in such a state, which, alongside with what she just stated, meant only one thing to her: something has happened in the outside word that their princess, who has a devotion to isolation as much as they have a devotion to her, could not readily ignore.

"The wind brought grave tidings from the south," she continued grimly.

"To me, change is inevitable. One more life can certainly make a difference."

"W-What do you mean?"

"It is a restless world out there, Artemis," was her response.

"You are only eleven. So young of an age, yet already you knew more than most of your kind. Still, you tried to take a life of another and for that, you must atone to the consequences. Understand, my dear Oracle?"

However much she hesitated, the fawn had to nod. The time had come, yet deep inside her, she never really want to go. There were so many things she could've done, so many things she wished to see. Even as those desires scream louder than before, somewhere deep within her just knew she wasn't meant to. Perhaps she could've gone out there, yet with what she had done tonight, it already sealed her fate. With a hefty sigh, Artemis closed her eyes and held her head high, giving the last cue to mark the end of her judgement day.

"I'm ready."


"STOP!!"


The white birch doors burst open, the caravan charging in with Selena taking the lead, who slid towards Artemis's side and raise up a beeping remote for all to see. Only the alicorn was unfazed; everypony else were either too shocked or too fearful to move. All Artemis could do was stand there, petrified at the sudden turn of the tables. She glanced up to Selena, in awe of how headstrong she was despite her bandaged form. The pegasus quickly shot her a smile, to which she returned eagerly.

"Set Artemis free and clear all her charges," Selena gave her demands.

"Otherwise, I'll blow the whole temple up before anyone could say 'My Lady Protector'."

"Do as she says and nopony gets hurt," Ollivander added meekly, earning a stare from the alicorn.

"Word of advice. Take it to heart."

"Fight ice with fire. My, my," Princess Crystallia chuckled darkly.

"Selena Gust. You trouble me greatly. You should be taking a rest after what Artemis had done to you, yet here you are, threatening to blow up my temple and all the innocents that live within. You, your caravan, even your injured friend lying in the wards."

"He would understand what we're doing," Dapple spoke up in his place.

"If it meant saving the life of a young fawn like her, all of us would do anything. Now release her and no harm will come to you."

Artemis held her breath, looking between her Lady Protector, who had been a mother when she never had one, and Selena, whom she felt bonded with by means of their insanity. It was something she couldn't quite explain, her attachment to Selena. Something like a sudden spark that grew into a big flame, giving her a curious warmth in the hinterland she had called home. Even so, the fire has been burning too bright; the lives of every single living being in the temple is at stake, all because of her.

"Selena," she muttered.

"Don't do this."

"We're saving you, Artemis. No matter what."

"I did something wrong. I have to pay for it."

"B-But you're too young! You didn't even know what you were doing!"

"I don't want anyone else to get hurt!"

The raucous croak of a shout stopped them in their tracks, just like how it stopped the priestesses from their feast when they first met. An inkling of a triumphant smile appeared on Princess Crystallia's lips as Selena stepped back, hoof almost letting go of the remote, its monotonous beeping echoing throughout the room. Panting feverishly, Artemis gazed up at her glorious Lady Protector, standing firm once again.

"I'm sorry, sister," she muttered quietly and almost ruefully.

"It's all because of me. All the dying and the killing... it's my fault."

"Artemis, you can't blame yourself."

"Do you know how my parents died?" Artemis choked, whirling towards the mare.

"They were killed. They were killed because they called me a gift from the heavens when the other deer said I was evil. They kept doing that all the time, parading me through the streets like I actually was some... some god or something. One day, someone had enough. One day, someone decided to put an end to all of it. I hid in the closet, listening to everything. My mother... my father... everything. They died... because I was there. All of this.. I've seen too much of this happening and now... I don't want to be the reason that everyone's fighting and hurting each other anymore, okay? If this could stop all of it, what could be better?"

"Well, then. You've heard her," Princess Crystallia nonchalantly said.

"Artemis shall be punished in accordance to our laws."

It didn't matter. All of it didn't matter to Selena. Immediately, she raised the remote high up again, much to the horror of Artemis and even the caravan.

"Let her go," she stated again.

"Let her go now or I swear I will blow this whole place apart!"

"Selena, put down the remote."

"No, Velvet."

"You don't want to do this, Selena," Phoenix butted in.

"Do you really want to blow this place up?"

"If I have to, I would."

"Selena, just put the remote down."

"You too, Ollie?" she squeaked bitterly, turning towards her friends. The same one that had supported her. The same ones that had her back a moment ago, now turning against her...

"But... you guys were supposed to help me..."

"In the event that Artemis willingly comes with us, remember?" the gryphon firmly asserted.

"We can't always interfere, Selena. If Artemis wants it, then so be it."

"No, we can still save her. We can still stop this..."

"We can't save her, Selena!"

"I swear, if you say that again, I WILL BLOW THIS PLACE UP, OLLIE!!"

"DO IT!!"

Selena gaped at Ollivander's harsh tone for a moment, before gritting her teeth as her hoof neared the switch on the side of the remote for all to see.

"DO IT, SELENA!!" he screeched.

The mare clenched her eyes shut, tears leaking out from the sides. Just one push and it will all be over. Just one push and all of them will perish. Herself, her dear Ollivander, Artemis, all the friends she cared about... forever.

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!! DO IT!!"

With a yell, Selena suddenly threw the remote onto the ground, stomping it vehemently until it became nothing but a loom of sparking wires nestled within shards of metal. Defeated, she collapsed onto the ground, sobbing and weeping helplessly for the first time in years. It took the embrace of her gryphon mate to muffle it all up, his talons stroking her and hushing her.

"I-It's not fair, Ollie..." she cried.

"It's just not fair..."

"We can't do anything 'bout it, Selena," the gryphon reminded her.

"Artemis wanted this. We have to give it to 'er."

"But she's too young, Ollie! We can't just let her die!!"

Just as she said that, Princess Crystallia immediately let loose a loud, hearty and rambunctious laugh that ripped apart their grief, shredding the caravan with what seemed to be a piercing tone of mockery. It chiseled the hairs across their body and maimed their minds senseless, emotionally bludgeoned and left gaping in both awe and anxiety. Throughout them, only one peculiar member had the resolve to retaliate.

Fleetywit, the sprite dragon, let out a small irritated screech at her triumphant words, scales ruffled and forked tongue slithering apprehensively. Being its caretaker, Phoenix composed himself, translating his pet's most demanding, if not defiant, question.

"What's so funny?"

"Assumptions, that's what," the alicorn shrilled playfully.

"Assumptions, assumptions. Judgments cloudier than the Badlands in a dust storm and yet you all still assume things. Would you assume something to be there, even if there might be nil of a chance of it ever occurring? I prefer a cold way to end things, pony, you've assumed that. It is but a boring way and I love a good jitter; I might favor death, but I don't favor murdering somepony that could make me shiver with warmth."

Steadily, she turned back to Artemis, smiling with a frozen tranquility whilst still withholding her icy glare.

"My dear Oracle, judgment is to be served upon you," she boomed.

"In accordance to laws, Artemis, you shall be exiled. You shall be banished from this kingdom. Never again you shall return to this lands and never again shall you be a subject. If you ever step one hoof into my domain ever again, I will ensure that death will come ever swifter. Do you understand these words, my Oracle?"

"Y-Yes!" Artemis cried instantly, overjoyed. Gasps and whispers were already filling the air, with most of it coming from the caravan. Selena could only gawk, unable to comprehend what just happened even as Ollivander tried to shake her out of her daze. She only began to smile when the young fawn turned to her, the promise of hope finally fulfilled by whom they thought was their enemy.

"I haven't concluded the trial yet," Princess Crystallia rasped, silencing the room immediately.

"There are, of course, a few conditions. As proper punishment for your crimes, you are to follow the victim and compensate for all your unruly actions you have performed tonight. Hence, you are to aid her, serve her and be bound to her by will of law. All actions otherwise shall be condemned and the sole penalty shall only be death as well. Is that clear, Artemis?"

"Yes..." the young fawn muttered quietly in disbelief, only to be jolted by a slam of hooves on the table.

"I said, is that clear?!"

"Y-Yes, my Lady Protector!!" she stammered quickly, standing stiff.

"Good," the alicorn finished with a grin, ready to give one last wave of her hoof. She could see it, the excitement building up in her Oracle's eyes, waiting to just burst and make her leap from the box just to hug her new-found 'sister' tight, before thanking her endlessly perhaps. Oh, what was she saying, Artemis wasn't her Oracle anymore. Now, she's just another fawn, ready to see the world as it truly is.

Letting go another once more... it was painstakingly hard. She had always knew this day would come, yet somehow it just never felt any more easier. Artemis can go far, she knew that, yet under her, she may go no further than the reaches of her lonely temple. The lonely, dark temple that even she herself loathed, no matter how beautified it may seem to be to her own liking. What can she say, she hated the conventional.

There is no spring in this hinterland.

Regardless -- she smiled to herself, looking at Artemis -- even here, new life can bloom.

"Council dismissed."

O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

The night drifted on slowly, blissfully. Luna's bright smile hung high in the clouds, tranquility basked upon her subjects underneath the dim rays. It was appeasing, the smile. Somewhat eerie, but appeasing, for a princess, once known as the bearer of nightmares, to be their keeper guarding their unconscious mind.

Twilight Sparkle had become one of the later sleepers, having brought her tiring research from the workplace to the comfy bed. A various assortment of books were spread around the sheets; Spike would've condemned her for her organizing at the sight of it. The embers of a nearby fireplace provided the light and warmth she would always prepare for a good read, the addition of a blanket invigorating her so much more. Page by page she flipped eloquently with a pinch of magic at the corners from her recovering horn, now reverberating only with slight tingles that made her hooves twitch on occasion. Aside from the small breeze in the open window, everything was fine.

The night drifted on slowly, blissfully.

Ignorance is bliss; vice versa.

Snapping the third book shut, Twilight finally sighed out the pent up frustration she had been piling up and putting aside for the past hour. Her patience had been tested considerably tonight, having been occupying herself with her research for a while now. She still has hope, certainly, though the waiting can become really, really unbearable at times.

He was late.

Making promises that he can't keep was one of the Masque's rarer talents. From a point of view, it was understandable; he had to make time dabbling with his grand heists and playing with the children in his refuge, both on opposite ends of the town. Twilight would sometimes think she spotted him outside, jumping from roof to roof while the guards give chase. It must be exciting, she thought to herself, having such a dangerous lifestyle.

"And here I am," she lamented with a chuckle.

Stretching her hooves, the unicorn stepped out of her bed and sauntered out of the door, giving out a small yawn that echoed throughout the hallways. The palace was quiet at night, with the occasional low chatter of guards and a miscellany of nocturnal sounds here and there. Light streamed from the crack of some of the doors, her friends still awake being no surprise to her at this point. Rainbow and Soarin' were probably rocking their twin daughters to sleep, and Rarity may be having a late night drink with Spike, perhaps talking about their concerns straining their relationship. Honestly, Twilight herself felt the same.

Applejack's door was unlit; both her and Apple Bloom left for Ponyville by noon alongside the Princesses. She had anticipated this day to come, despite it coming later than expected. A crisis such as the Manehatten Cataclysm was something she thought would've drawn the attention of her mentor sooner, which only further troubled her when Princess Celestia put other matters forward first. Otherwise, Twilight was at ease.

"Have I kept you waiting?"

Twilight turned around, smiling at the silhouette of the Masque stepping out from behind the pillar, his sensuous voice being music to her ears. The slanting moonlight gave her glimpse of his current mask: a half-face, colored in deep purple complete with swirls of gold at the edges. Beneath it was his sinister smile which welcomed her, drawing her in as much as those amethyst eyes would. The things she would give up to see his complete visage... it astounds her beyond comprehension.

"You're late," she simply stated.

"Had a close shave with some guards," he explained.

"Long story short, you'll read it in the papers tomorrow."

Twilight couldn't help but chuckle.

"Really? What makes you so sure?"

"I have my methods."

With a shake of her head, she trotted up to the Masque, finding herself a seat on the stone banister that the mysterious caper is standing upon. It was unbelievable, really. There he was, standing out in the open where a mere guard or two would be able to spot him if given a little more effort, not to mention that they were also in the most secure place in the entirety of Canterlot. The chances of getting caught are extremely high. Then again, this was no ordinary criminal she was talking to.

"So what have you been doing in my absence?" he asked.

"Anything of significance? Aside from mingling with thoughts of me?"

"Hey, I said I miss you but not to that extent."

"So you don't miss me."

"I didn't say that!" she rebuked immediately, which made him chuckle heartily. It was a few seconds after realizing her outburst to the Masque's little tricks that Twilight started to laugh along as well.

"Sorry, just... had a lot of work today. Research and such."

"You shouldn't be," the Masque replied.

"Stopping a madpony to save the world isn't just an everyday task."

"I know. But it's just... this time, we're just sitting around, waiting for him to attack. Usually, the Princesses would allow us to at least come up with a way to fight them, even without the Elements of Harmony. With Pinkie still missing, this is especially the time to find an alternative way to stop Janus and yet-"

"Do you miss her?"

"Sorry?"

"Do you miss her?" he repeated.

"Your friend, Pinkie Pie? I've read of her demise in the papers."

"She isn't exactly... deceased. Just missing."

Pinkie Pie... in all honesty, the chances of the party pony showing up at the front gates of the palace, to her, was getting bleaker. There were times Twilight wished that she would wake up to see the pink mare bouncing up and down on the bed. Back then, she had hope that Pinkie was even alive. Now, as times grew darker and the bombings grew in number, she wasn't so sure anymore.

"I don't want to talk about it," she waved it off bitterly.

"For now, I'm just... I don't know, praying that we would make it through this?"

"We will. I'm certain of it."

"It's all dead ends, you know?" Twilight griped.

"Every lead we've got to finding out who Janus was just doesn't add up. The facts are contradictory, the field research is incomplete and all the books were just talking about the same historical accounts that I have read before somewhere in my life! It's as if... as if he just appeared out of nowhere. As if he shouldn't even exist in the first place. I'm already losing my head over finding out where he came from so you can imagine how much of a loss I am in when it comes to what his motives are. What would he do next? What's his next target? More importantly, why would he stall for time instead of attacking Canterlot, like he would've done? How about you? What do you think?"

"I think," the Masque began with a smirk.

"That you should have something to calm your nerves."

"Oh, erm... sorry... got a little carried away..."

"It's okay," he said calmly, standing up.

"Would you like tea or coffee? Hot, cold, lukewarm?"

"Just some warm water would be nice."

With a nod, the Masque dived off the balcony and into the night, probably to sneak into the royal kitchen to prepare her order. Twilight sat there for a moment, quietly waiting for his return, all the while fumbling throughout the research in her head. The entirety of Equestria may depend on her finding the solution, yet whether it will surface in time was another matter.

"I'm missing something..." she lamented softly.

"But what is it?"

"You're still awake?"

Twilight immediately turned around, slightly surprised to see Inkie Pie cantering up to her, giving an inkling of a smile. It had been a while since the both of them had caught up with each other recently, what with Inkie being called by Princess Celestia most of the time and herself indulged in her own research, with her discreet dalliances with the Masque sometimes wedged in between. Speaking of which, the Masque might return anytime soon, which made her pale slightly. If anypony ever finds out about her relationship with the most wanted thief in Canterlot... she wouldn't even dream of what consequences it may bring.

"Just... doing a little bit more research," she lied blatantly, which turned out to be an effective one.

"What about you? What are you doing up this late?"

"I'm just... hoping."

"Hoping?"

"It's funny, really," Inkie said with a sad chuckle.

"I mean, what can a mare like me still hope for? Before this, I've given up on everything I know. When my parents died, I thought that would be the last day I had to live... to suffer. I thought to myself then. What's the point of living anymore? When I came here... I don't know, it all changed. Every night, I would wait for hours, hoping that any of them. Pinkie or Blinkie, would pass those gates and say... I'm back, Inkie... you don't have to worry anymore..."

"Inkie..."

"I know I'm being a little too sentimental right now."

"It's okay, I don't think you are. In fact, if Shining or Spike disappeared and I know they're still alive out there, I would do the same."

"You wouldn't want to know how it feels," the gray mare griped.

"The feeling of knowing somepony close is out there, beyond your reach, and you know you could lose them at any moment... I pray, Twilight, that you never, ever go through what I'm going through now."

All Twilight could do was nod with a shudder; she'd pray for the same.

"I guess we have to keep waiting..." she replied.

"Who knows? Maybe one day, one of them would come back. Or maybe the both of them will--"

"Excuse me, Miss Twilight Sparkle?"

Both mares turned around, noticing a total of four of Princess Celestia's Royal Guards trotting up towards them, with the supposed 'leader' of the group stepping forward and giving a slight bow of acknowledgement. It is a rare sight to see those of the diurnal guard still up at his late hour, yet with both Princesses absent from their thrones and leaving Canterlot exposed to any attack in placement of tending to the refugees of Manehatten now situated in Ponyville, it wasn't that much of a surprise at the moment.

"Her Royal Highness Princess Cadance wishes to speak with you," he explained.

"At this hour?" Twilight questioned, slightly baffled. With the temporary departure of the alicorn sisters, it was up to Cadance to rule over Canterlot in their place. Of course, Cadance, being Cadance, would be more reasonable; unless it was an emergency, she wouldn't bother doing so this late at night.

"What for?"

"It concerns the captain, Miss Sparkle."

"Why? What happened to Shining?" she immediately asked, terror clogging up her veins.

"The Princess will elaborate on the matter. We shall escort you to her."

Before the unicorn could step forward, she was stopped by Inkie's hoof, who somewhat shoved her back. Twilight would've rasped at her derisively the moment the gray mare turned to her, though the sinister glint in those purple eyes stopped her.

"Does it really take four guards to escort one pony?" she challenged.

"How was it, listening to the orders of your master? Leaving something for your captain in hopes of killing him off?"

"Inkie, what are you talking about?"

"What are your orders from him now?" Inkie provoked them, the nervous looks of their faces growing even more.

"Let me guess... abduct Twilight Sparkle, the captain's sister. Hold her for ransom, maybe... no... she's the next target."

"Inkie, they're part of the Royal Guard! You can't just simply--"

"The bombing of the barracks was an inside job, remember?" she reminded Twilight.

"The entirety of the Guard was searched because of that. I don't know how you four managed to escape detection, but none of you are gonna get away with this."

All four guards just glanced at each other for a moment until the leader let out a small, disappointed sigh. Begrudgingly, he stepped forward, his horn illuminating as he brought his spear forward, hoisted it around and pointed it towards them.

"We had wished you would come quietly after our warm welcome, Miss Sparkle," he said just as his compatriots began wielding their own spears.

"Alas, it seems it was not meant to be."

"Twilight, run."

"What?" Twilight gasped out.

"But you... I can't leave you here!"

"They're after you, not me," Inkie said with a stomp of her hooves, all four starting to glow a bright shade of violet.

"Now run! Just run and don't turn back, okay?! Run!! RUN!!"

Nodding desperately, Twilight used all her might to turn back and gallop off, the sounds of crashing steel flooding through the hallway. She wanted to just head back and fight, yet she just kept galloping and galloping until the cries of the battle could no longer be heard. It was only then that she finally came to a stop, breathing and panting while the fog cleared up in her mind.

"I have to get help..." she wheezed, turning back.

"I have to get--"

Something sharp pierced through her chest.

Something sharp made her stop in her tracks.

What was happening? Why tonight? Why her? Question after question, yet satisfaction was never warranted. Through her teary eyes, Twilight saw a figure that she had never seen for a long time, even as she starts coughing out small splatters of blood. There he was, the one they were all looking for, the one that kept them guessing for so long... standing right there, holding a spear that had plunged through her chest. Even if his face was a blur, she knew who it was.

"J-Jan..." she whimpered, collapsing to the floor.

"W... w-wh..."

"Just something to remember me by," he said in his cold, malignant voice.

"Don't worry. You won't die tonight."

Just as Twilight's cheek stamped onto the cold floor, the spear unsheathed from her chest, releasing a small geyser of red and a loud, croaked gasp. The mare laid on the floor in the puddle of her own essence, hoof wriggling in a disdainful attempt to stand up and pursue him. What echoed painfully more so in her head than the wound in her chest was his parting message.

"You won't die," he said.

"Not yet, at least..."

Author's Note:

Achievement Unlocked: A (Flutter)Shy Above 10k :yay:

Sorry it's been awhile! Had to take a long break to focus on some of the hardest work I ever had to do in college, so I had to push a lot of time towards on real life instead.
Consider this a belated Thanksgiving turkey! :twilightsmile: