• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 1,162 Views, 58 Comments

Diprosopus - WritingSpirit



In a world torn by conspiracy, hate and a grand conflict with an old, mysterious enemy that once was thought to have fallen, Rarity and Pinkie, in their own separate paths, will come to find that the world they live in was not as it all seemed.

  • ...
5
 58
 1,162

Shattered Crystals & Broken Hearts

"Shining!!"

It was a noon of red flames and gray fumes, the sky intoxicated in a deep, jarring orange with the sun blotted by the desolate scene of the Canterlot Barracks, the top ruptured with smoke escaping from its depths. It was Tartarus on earth, and they were living in it.

Ponies were at every corner, some sprawled on the floor and whimpering from their wounds and burns, some tending to their fallen comrades. Many had came to their aid, either tending to the wounded or giving them their provisions, but most were digging through the pile in their quest to look for survivors. There were some, however, that laid still, waiting for their heads to be draped over by pure white blankets and their eyes forever closed in an eternal, painless slumber.

"Shining!!! Where are you?!!"

Twilight Sparkle had never shouted her brother's name louder in her entire life. The desolate sight of death and destruction before her was enough to drive her down; for her brother to be one of its victims only dug the grave much deeper. Her throat was hoarse, her tear ducts dry to the bone as she rushed about the wasteland, frantically looking at every pained face there is to see around her. Joining her was the renowned couple that consists of Fancypants and Fleur De Lis, both paling whiter at the results of one madpony's demonic grasp for power, the former grimacing when he saw the many lives taken from such a horrendous act.

She pushed aside some of the bruised guards, sniffling as she dug her hooves into the wreck, her head spinning. A few hooves came to her shoulders, including those of Fancypants, all asking to settle down, yet she never relented. She kept digging and digging, her sobs getting louder with each piece of debris tossed away by her magic.

"Miss Sparkle?"

"M-Must find him... I must find Shining..."

"Miss Sparkle? Miss Sparkle, can you hear me?"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"

With one hoof slamming on the ground, a burst of magic from the brim of her broken horn sent those around her stumbling back, with Fancypants and Fleur fearfully looking on at her face: a dark shadow before the sun. She held the firm look for a moment, before she felt it; a little tremble in her horn that made her yell, her hooves shivering before she fell backwards onto the ground.

The excruciating pain sank in for a few seconds, until finally Twilight just plopped her haunches on the floor, eyes still wide from the traumatic scene with her tears not even daring to leave its shimmering state. A sudden clatter of hoofsteps from the side was the only thing that snapped her out from her misery, turning in time to see Princess Cadance storming out from the castle, before slowing down to a halt. She could only stare on, her body trembling with shock. Her husband was down there. Her lover, her mate. What of her son? He went to look for his father... could it be true?

"S-Shining... R-R-Radiance..."

Suddenly, the Crystal Princess collapsed, caught just in time by the reflexive hooves of some of her attendees. She wasn't the only one that came; right behind her were Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, both jaws agape at the pile of ruin and debris before them. The younger of the sisters quickly stepped forward, already moving piece by heavy piece while the older one glanced down, cheeks turning into a dim, rare shade of gray.

"Princess..." Twilight weakly called for her revered mentor, who looked down at her limp form with stale eyes that sent to her heart a shiver. It was the first time to her that Princess Celestia's eyes were ever that soulless; that her eye were almost as if it was made from glass. It stared through her in a manner that Twilight could only name in her churning head as contempt, before much to her horror, the alicorn turned back to her castle and strutted off, head held high and leaving the ruin behind.

"Princess Celestia...? Where are you-- Princess, you have to help... PRINCESS CELESTIA!!"

"Twilight!"

The mare whirled around to see Spike clambering up to her, followed by the remainder of her friends. Upon seeing the burning ruins, his big sister's distress and the fainted Princess Cadance at the side, he quickly dived into action, claws driving out pieces of debris as he dug into the mound, with Soarin', Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Big Macintosh quickly joining in.

Rarity and Fluttershy were quickly at Twilight's side, though the latter was more hesitant when she saw her husband busy heaving a few heavy bars. She turned away when he caught her glancing to her direction, biting her lip and hiding her face underneath her mane. It had been too long, yet she knows she must hold on if she ever wanted to be at his side and see their daughter's face again. She just had to be patient.

"Come here, Twilight."

Rarity gestured her friend to the side just as Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo came up to them. Their faces, however, were drawn to the burning ruins and the lifeless bodies all around, Sweetie Belle already clamping her mouth tight with her hoof.

"All of you get back inside now," she ordered.

The Crusaders, of course, quickly complied, galloping back in without sparing another glance back, though Scootaloo turned back for a moment to glance at Twilight, before heading off after the others. That settled, Rarity turned back to the situation at hoof, praying softly underneath her breath as the search goes on.

"Why...?"

"What is it, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"What's wrong?"

"T-The princess... she... she just..."

"Leave her be," Rarity said, staring at where she believed Princess Celestia had headed and gritting her teeth. Whatever feelings she harbored for the alicorn were quickly wiped off the slate soon after, the urgency to calming her friend came first and, in turn, saving Shining Armor.

Sure enough, her efforts paid off; Twilight soon stood up, albeit shakily as she stared forward at the mound of debris. She clenched her jaw tight, her eyes steeling a glare at the destruction. A strange feeling she had never felt before was growing in her... a feeling that she could only describe as... anger. She was angry. Angry that her brother had been hurt. Angry at the one pony that made this all happen.

Quickly, she dived into action, joining her not-so-little brother and the rest of her friends in the excavation. They already had tunneled through most of the ruin, pulling out injured ponies from the crushing weight. One by one, more ponies were rescued, yet her brother was nowhere to be seen.

"Shining... where..." Cadance murmured suddenly, opening her eyes to see her worried guards looking over her. She quickly sat back up and turned around, the tears that were held back now leaking down her cheeks. She wanted to stand and help, yet she couldn't. All she could do was watch. All she could do was watch as the rest tirelessly shovel each piece of debris out, her heart thumping more anxiously with each passing, agonizing second. Her own husband was underneath all of that and yet... she couldn't even move a hoof.

"Please... please don't leave me..."

"Over here!"

Twilight's ears perked when she heard that, instantly rushing over to where Soarin' and Rainbow Dash were at. She could only gasp when she saw her brother's face a few feet under her, light shining over his bruised and bloodied face. Quickly, her horn lit up, shoving away whatever wood or stone that obstructed her to her brother. Slowly, she pulled him out with her magic, carefully lifting him out into the open before gently laying down on the ground.

"SHINING!!" Cadance cried out, rushing through her husband's side, her face paling immediately when she laid her ears onto his chest.

"He's... He's not breathing!!"

"SOMEPONY GET A DOCTOR!!" Twilight yelled aloud, her horn lighting up once more as a few small sparks flew out of the tip. Her brother was soon enveloped in a casing of light, leaving Cadance to stand back and watch with teary eyes and blood flowing from her bitten lips. There was only one thought that the librarian had in her head then.

This had better work.

"CLEAR!!"

One loud zap made Shining's body jerk upwards, enough to make some of them yelp, though he quickly fell back onto the floor, lifeless as before. Cadance quickly closed her eyes, turning away to muffle her sobs into Princess Luna's chest just as Twilight's horn started to charge up once again, the lavender mare withholding her tears as she yelled again:

"CLEAR!!"

Another jerk, before he fell back down, limp as before. Gritting her teeth, Twilight wiped some of her tears away, once again concentrating her horn at her brother's stagnant heart. The gathering pain sank into her exposed nerves, stabbing into her brain like needles which would make one scream, yet that doesn't matter. With a pained groan, her horn flared up, her skull as if on fire while she screamed out:

"CLEAR!!"

The final jerk upwards, yet Shining fell again, lifeless. With a sniffle, Twilight fell back, just staring at her brother. He couldn't be dead, he just couldn't... she didn't want to believe it. Her own brother, dead right before her, her efforts to bring him back all for naught. He was dead and there was nothing else she could do about it.

"Shining..." she murmured, too shocked to even speak. She just sat there, her heart torn apart, every sound fogged with the exception of Cadance breaking out her sobs at the side, crying her own shattered, fragile heart out. Twilight's own body fought so hard to breathe, yet it all choked out into brief hiccups of tears; without the captain, it was a battle she easily lost.

"Make way!! Make way!!"

It had been ages since any one of them heard that voice, but sure enough the ponies parted. Twilight turned around, snapped from her stupor when she saw Inkie Pie galloping towards them, screeching to a halt once the gray mare spotted the prone body of Shining Armor. Quickly, she knelt down and placed one hoof on Shining's left chest, the other raised up high in the air as she steeled a glare at the unconscious stallion. Everypony's jaws, especially Twilight's, started to fall, however, when they saw both of Inkie's hooves glowing with a swirling aura that were as purple as her amethyst eyes.

"Don't you dare quit now, captain."

Within a split second, the hoisted hoof swung down like a hammer on a nail, slamming into Shining's chest with such great force, it was enough to make him twitch. One huff, and Inkie did it again, this time with more power than before, yet he remained still. With an extra fizz of the strange energy, she raised her hoof as high as she can until one could see veins popping through her forehead, until it came thrashing down, almost drilling into his chest.

Suddenly, a loud gasp leaped out from Shining's mouth, his body violently hurtling upwards with eyes shot open, making the rest jump a little. The captain was panting by the time Cadance hugged him ever tightly, still a little dazed from all the relieved faces surrounding it. His heart sank a little when he heard his wife weeping quietly over his shoulder and saw his teary-eyed sister somewhat glaring at him, almost as if he did something wrong.

"What happened?" he weakly groaned.

"What happened...?" Twilight mumbled spitefully, stomping forward.

"You're asking us what happened?"

"I thought I lost you!!" Cadance suddenly yelled with a choked sob.

"There... th-there was an explosion and... a-and you weren't breathing and... a-and--!!"

Twilight suddenly smacked Shining across the face, leaving him flabbergasted and adding a minuscule bruise on the side of his cheek. Her snout was scrunched up, her face turning redder than all the flames all around. The rest just watched, not daring to even say a word as she stared down at her brother with a rage never seen before from the librarian.

"Promise me..." she began rather venomously.

"Just... promise me you won't scare me like that again..."

"I-I won't..."

Almost immediately, Shining found himself being hugged tight again, the stallion smiling weakly and enduring what pain he can when Twilight finally let loose her sobs. First her wife, then her sister... he wouldn't dare to imagine how it would be like if his parents were here instead of vacationing in the batpony city of Pransylvania.

"There now..." he weakly hushed his sister, whose sobs toned down into small whimpers.

"It's over... it's all over..."

"I just... I c-can't imagine what might happen i-if I lost you..."

"It's okay. Nothing will stop this-- gah!!"

Shining's sudden yelp of pain made Twilight jump back as he fell backwards into his wife's embrace, who could only bite her lip at all the stinging lacerations the explosion had given him. Instinctively, Spike abruptly ran off into the castle, though the weak groans of the stallion drew all their attention instead with the exception of Rarity. The dragon quickly came scampering back soon after, this time with a first aid kit gripped in his claws.

"Lay him down," Inkie instructed, to which Twilight and Cadance did so. With a wave of her hoof, the magenta aura around it dissipated like the flame of a lit candle in a breeze as she drew from the kit a roll of bandages, tearing a small section of it forcefully with her teeth.

Shining gritted his teeth, bracing for the pain, though not before asking:

"W-Where's Radiance?"

"I... I don't know..."

"What? What do you mean--"

"Radiance went to look for you..." Cadance stammered amid her tears. The rest of the ponies (and Spike the dragon) just held back their gasps, some turning back to the ruined barracks in disbelief. Shining just fell back, his tears falling along his wife's while Soarin' and Big Macintosh set off once again, digging their hooves into the ruin in their frantic search for her son.

"He... he might be under all of that! B-But he might be alive!! He... he... I don't know!!"

"What if he isn't?"

"Don't you dare say that! Don't you dare!!"

"He might be gone, for all we know..."

"He will live, Shining!!"

"How can you be so sure?! HOW CAN YOU BE SO SURE?!!"

"I DON'T KNOW!!"

"YOU LEFT OUR SON, CADANCE!! YOU LEFT HIM!! AND NOW HE'S PROBABLY BURIED UNDERNEATH ALL THAT WRECK FOR CELESTIA KNOWS HOW LONG!!!" he screamed despite all the pain. Cadance frantically shook her head and just glanced away, scrunching her eyes shut. Those words echoed painfully, a forced veil shielding her away from her own husband... her son might be dead. Radiance...

"Look at me, Cadance! LOOK AT ME AND TELL ME HE'S ALIVE!! CADANCE!!"

Cadance dared not say anything, instead shutting her eyes and turning away from the mound of debris. With a loud roar, Shining just slammed a hoof onto the ground and turned away, refusing to even bat an eye at his wife, his strong-willed spirit rammed down and nailed into the ground. Every single one of them were praying in their hearts, hoping for a miracle, even if miracles don't happen to many anymore. Twilight would've followed the rest and prayed for her nephew's safe return, yet something was jarring... something put her off not only as a unicorn, but also as the bearer of the Element of Magic.

"That... that magic..." Twilight managed to splutter, earning the attention of none other than Inkie Pie.

"It was like Pinkie's... before... b-before..."

"Seems this is not the first time you had seen this magic," the gray mare said.

"So... my sister decided to use it after all... even after being forbade to..."

"Forbade? By whom?"

Inkie just turned back to her task, leaving the other mare hanging as she started bandaging Shining's blood-red waist, making him hiss. Twilight's need to ask, however, was interrupted when yet another set of hooves galloped towards them, this time more fleet and swift. All of their eyes were drawn to a small form speeding towards them like a bullet, though only Cadance voiced out a gasp at who it was.

The miracle had arrived.

"Mommy!"

"RADIANCE!!!" she cried out his name, hugging her son tightly and letting her sobs flow out once more. Immediately, Shining struggled to crane his neck up, flashing a brief smile at the sight of his son. Radiance could only whimper at his dad's wounds while in his mother's embrace, which only spurred Inkie to speed up her task.

"Thank Celestia... oh, thank Celestia!!"

"Where did you-- hng! -- g-go?!" Shining hissed his question, nuzzling his son.

"For the love of Celestia, both of us were worried sick about you!"

"I h-heard a loud boom and... and I was really, really scared, so I ran and hide in the library..."

Radiance turned back and grinned, the rest following his gaze just as Princess Celestia stepped back out, nodding amiably in response to the colt.

"That's when Princess Celestia found me," he continued.

"She told me it was okay to come out now... so I came out and I followed her here and... I-I don't want to wander off again..."

His parents just hugged him tighter, the family happily reunited once again. To Twilight however, who was staring at her mentor the whole time, something was amiss: Princess Celestia headed back in, ignoring the situation of her brother being buried alive, just to have a talk with Radiance? The Princess Celestia she knew would've saved Shining before engaging in some small talk, not the other way around!

"Inkie Pie," said alicorn called out suddenly, the gray mare casually looking at her.

"Come with me."

Dumbfounded, the rest just stared as Inkie strutted forward, void of emotions while following Princess Celestia into the castle. One would swear she even wore a subtle smirk before she stepped inside. Nevertheless, all they could do was celebrate the reunion of the family, yet there are a certain few who sensed something was amiss, namely Twilight and Rarity.

For the former unicorn, she had been worrying about Princess Celestia's odd behavior the whole time, but for Rarity, something else put her off. Normally, she would brush it off and shove it aside, because why bother? Yet this time... the feeling she had before was coming back. The feeling that echoed that of Pinkie's predicament in Pendant Lakes.

That something important was being hidden from them. Something crucial to Equestria's safety.

Something crucial to their lives.

O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

It wasn't easy being the Oracle.

Artemis was seven years younger when she was bestowed the title, when she was cast out by the rest due to her albino nature. For a white deer with red eyes to living among the usual brown-spotty furred, black eyed herd... she wasn't always called the Oracle. Back then, she had been cruelly jeered as The Fawn of Tartarus or The White Devil, among other equally degrading nicknames, yet throughout those tough times, her parents were always by her side, protecting her and instead calling her a gift from the heavens above. A deity worthy of worship and prayer.

For her, she never liked being called a demon or a goddess; rather, she wanted to be just like every other fawn, to be brought up like them and treated like one, not shunned as an abomination or heralded as a legend. On the contrary, she sought to become what many a deer dreamed of becoming: a huntress, which was a position highly respected right beneath the priestesses.

Hunting was, surprisingly, one of her secret talents, which she quickly discovered after her first few tries. It was exhilarating, how her heart pumped so fast, how her breathing tensed whenever she saw her target and how each of her senses heightened to a swelling level... she loved everything about it. She remembered back then that every morning after each escape into her nocturnal activity, when her father would complain about a few scratches on the bow, she would be the one quietly snickering in the corner.

Those were the better days of her life.

Those were the days before it happened.

Now, she was here, dining as the town's fabled Sandsigeren, or Oracle to the foreigners before her. She was sitting close towards one end of an iceberg of a rectangular table with assorted plates of food coloring its expanse on glass dishes, the bottoms clasped onto metallic, snowflake-shaped palates. Hanging over them was a chandelier of ice, illuminating the room with an otherworldly, mesmerizing serenity, which Artemis had been immune to as of now. She quietly watched them feast from behind a transparent wall of tranquility, not even touching her own plate of food whilst smiling all the time like a hostess would smile. Moments later, the one they call the Hvid Jæger, or White Hunter, had finally arrived, solemnly taking her place next to her brother, leaving only one empty chair remaining in the room.

It wasn't exactly a chair; rather, it was a throne, made from the sleekest ice with a stag's head carved on the splat and the top rail jutting like a pipe organ up towards the ceiling. Never in all its years did it melt, which proved further the strength of their watchful guardian. Said guardian was the only absent guest at the moment, probably preoccupied with her otherworldly duties. Quietly, Artemis waited, not only because of her duty as Oracle, but also because she made a promise.

A very important promise.

"Um... excuse me?"

The Oracle turned, surprised to see the pink one of the group staring back at her with her large blue eyes. Her name was Pinkie Pie, as Artemis recalled, their leader having introduced all of them before settling down for their lovely feast. Silently, Pinkie looked down at Artemis's filled plate of lettuce and strawberries, before back up at her face again.

"Why aren't you eating?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, since everypony's here just eating and talking and laughing all day," Pinkie explained.

"I thought that you would join in, but you're just looking at us. I mean, I don't know why you would be looking at us because I really, really think we're not that fun to look at--"

"I'm just waiting for the Princess to arrive."

"Ohhhhhh...... can't you eat while you're waiting?"

"It's a little rude."

"Oh, but she would understand... right?"

"We have our customs," Artemis said.

"Princess Crystallia isn't... tolerant to many things."

"Okay... I'll wait with you then!"

Before the fawn could protest, Pinkie lurched her seat up to her side, the loud jerk whisking the attention of the rest. Artemis felt her throat constricting onto nothing, the smile of the mare from the corner of her eye freezing her body up. She immediately glanced up at Phoenix, who just quietly shrugged at her, unable to aid her in her predicament.

"P-Pinkie?" she stammered.

"You don't have to wait for me."

"Oh no, I don't! But I want to because otherwise, you would be alone again!"

"I...." she began, yet her voice faltered, a long-forgotten turmoil churning in her head.

"I'm not alone..."

"Really-wheally? But you looked like you're alone!"

Artemis just kept quiet. Inconceivable, to be rendered speechless by a foreigner like her... never had one of her kin even dared to silence her and yet this mare... she did it in just half an hour of knowing her! She clenched her jaw tight once more, gathering the fragments of her confidence as she firmly stated:

"I'm not alone, Pinkie Pie."

"I do recall hearing it differently from you, Artemis."

The shunning, cold voice made everyone freeze on the spot, a shower of speckles of snow suddenly erupting from the ceiling above. The flames of every ornate torch in the room suddenly died down into a faint glimmer of blue just as a cone of sparkling moonlight shot down towards the throne of ice. Slowly, each speck of snow swirled in an invisible wind, gathering together just as a figure simmered from thin air.

It was an alicorn, from what they could see; an alicorn with coat of pale cerulean and glacial mane of bright turquoise. Each lump of snow, as if in unison, drew themselves closer towards her mane, shifting into their varied, symmetrical selves as they sprinkled themselves like glitter, adding the final touch to the figure's resplendence. The sight of the alicorn immediately spurred Artemis to stand up, head held high as she announced:

"All hail Our Lady Protector and Goddess: Princess Crystallia!"

Slowly but surely, every being, be it pony or deer (and in Ollivander's case, gryphon) bowed down, with Princess Crystallia enigmatically staring at each and every one of them, her snout held high. The mystical light around her faded away, the torches on the walls slowly lighting back up again as all of them rose back up. Immediately, the princess panning her gaze across each member of the Caravan, before finally speaking:

"So you are the ones my subjects keep raving and rioting on about."

"To put it bluntly, yes," Phoenix answered.

"We are honored to be in your presence, Your Highness."

"I believe I beg to differ on my end."

Phoenix glanced up immediately, a little taken aback by her words. Retaining her cold smirk, Princess Crystallia stood up and trotted to the other end of the room where most of the caravan had seated themselves, the blue fire in her glare pinning them where they stood. With a flicker of her horn, small spindles of ice manifested of the wintry air, each one pointing right at all of the caravan, much to the horror of them and even her own subjects present in the room.

"You are honored to be in my presence?" she scoffed.

"I never did say I'd gladly honor the fact that you mere outsiders can come waltzing into my kingdom uninvited, did I?"

Silence.

"Well?!" she shouted suddenly at the top of the voice.

"I demand an answer now, Phoenix Mellow!!"

"N-No you didn't!" was the anxious reply.

"Then give me a very, very good reason why I shouldn't just turn all of your sorry bodies into pin cushions right now."

Pinkie gritted her teeth. This was not one bit similar to their encounter with Princess Terra; at least she had the decency to give a warmer smile. For Princess Crystallia to wear that bossy little smirk of hers, filled with so much deep hatred and sardonic rage... the things she would give to wipe that little smile off her face.

"My patience is wearing thin," the alicorn said almost playfully.

"My, my. Do all of you welcome death so willingly?"

"Y-Your Highness..." Artemis stuttered.

"B-But... but they were our guests! You said you wanted to see them!"

"Yes I did, and I've seen them feast on my table, seating so luxuriously on my chairs and lounging around my domain. They already had the nerve to trespass into our domain, that which I can tolerate, but to come here and be treated like kings and queens in my kingdom... such insolent behavior does not go unpunished, Artemis."

"But my Lady Protector--"

"SIT!! Down!"

Immediately, Artemis did as she was barked to do, head stooped low without another word. That being done, the alicorn shifted her gaze back to the caravan, the needles she conjured closing in inch by inch towards them. She was still smiling, yet what they saw in her eyes... it was rage. Pure, undiluted rage.

"Don't worry, my ponies," she mumbled, her smile finally fading.

"I'll make it really, really quick."

"Princess Terra would never do such a thing."

Just when the icicles were already prodding at their skin, Princess Crystallia stopped them, her wide-eyed glare narrowing down to Dapple Deuce, who was standing firmly before her. The others quietly watched as all the needles of ice pointed at their fellow member, yet none dared to step between her and the rage of the Lady Protector.

"Say that name again," the alicorn muttered, grimacing.

"Say it. I dare you."

"Dapple, don't do it."

"I always thought you were a coward, Velvet," was the mare's reply, chuckling it off.

"Now... the name... what was it? Princess... Terra?"

"Are you asking for a death wish, Hvid Jaeger?"

"You tell me, my 'Lady Protector'."

Even Artemis looked on in disbelief as the verbal sparring elicited silence from the alicorn, her unnerving glare still remaining. Then, out of the blue, Princess Crystallia let out a derisive rasp, before whirling away and stomping back to her throne in a seething fit of rage. The room fell into a deep, tense silence, yet Dapple held her triumphant grin. She knew she had already won.

"Terra..." Princess Crystallia repeated softly with such gentleness, it surprised even Artemis herself.

"It's been a while since I've heard that name. Too long of a while, in fact. I assume all of you have met her?"

"Yes," Dapple answered in their stead.

"And how did you know about her and me?"

"I didn't," the mare confessed.

"I just had a hunch that the two of you were friends."

"Close enough," Princess Crystallia said, smiling once again not as an adversary, but as one who graced her defeat; a competitor who commended her opponent. With a sigh, she stared up at the crystalline chandelier above and into whatever space beyond like a filly making a wish, before answering:

"Terra is my sister-in-law."

O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

Janus had struck once again.

It was a disaster that struck the same gong in Rarity's head. A disaster that she had predicted would happen sooner or later, yet to whom she wasn't too sure. Shining Armor never crossed her mind, but once she gave it a thought, it made a little sense. She had already guessed their enemy was too silent.

There she was, standing there with all her friends, particularly Twilight and Princess Cadance, watching over the tired, prone body of Shining Armor tucked safely in a hospital bed, worn out and asleep. Rarity remembered the agonizing journey when he was still on the stretcher, where both he and Cadance apologized each other among their quiet sobs. Their son was placed under the care of one of her personal guardians to be lead back to their room, mostly for Radiance's sake; who knows what might happen if Radiance knew what their argument was about?

Of course, all of it wouldn't happen if it wasn't for Janus.

"Snap out of it..." Rarity mumbled to herself, biting her lip. Sometimes, she just wished she could focus on other things instead of Janus this and Janus that. It was all that was plaguing her head recently, to the point of what Spike had called unnecessary paranoia.

With a sigh, she was the first to leave the room, though not before seeing Applejack nudge Spike from the corner of her eye. Of all the times, she lamented, not wanting to turn back to face the dragon heading after her. Of all the times that Applejack chose, it had to be on the day where she doesn't have the mood.

For once, Rarity didn't want to look at his face.

"Rarity!" the dragon called, making her flinch.

"Rarity, where are you going?"

The only response that Spike had was her hooves stomping further down the corridor.

"Rarity!" Spike yelled louder this time, earning a few glares from the staff around. Grinning sheepishly at each one he passed by, the dragon lumbered after his marefriend. She was having a fit again, he surmised, though this was one fit that he had never seen from Rarity before.

"For Celestia's sake, Rarity, can you just wait for a second?!"

Rarity stopped, mostly to quell his untamed rage and not cause a scene in the hospital. Heftily, she turned around, wearing what would've been the most forced smile she had ever worn. Spike, of course, knew better, yet he still felt a small tug in his gut when he saw it.

"Alright," he mumbled grimly.

"Tell me what's wrong."

"What's wrong? I don't believe there is anything wrong, Spike."

"You know what I mean, Rarity," he hissed.

"You walking off like that, not wanting to even look at me for just a split second of your life... something's bothering you, Rarity. Something's bothering my dearest marefriend and she doesn't want to give me the slightest hint of what it is."

"I need some time to myself."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm serious, Spike," she firmly stated.

"Look, just go back and help Twilight with her work. I'll just take care of myself. You know how busy I am with everything happening all around now."

"Busy? With what?"

There it was again: that burning rage of a dragon, enough to make a bonfire out of the Everfree Forest. The last time Rarity had seen this was when they encountered Prince Blueblood in the castle corridors. Back then, she could imagine Spike pouncing on the prince and tear his neck out with his fangs. This time... it almost as if he would strangle her while mutilating limb by limb.

Quietly, she just clenched her eyes shut, refusing to meet his gaze. A small sigh, before a warm smell hit her nose. When she opened, she was surprised to see a small porcelain teacup of warm coffee; a latte, from what she could smell, which was her favorite brew. Of course, with Spike holding it up, it wasn't much of a coincidence.

"I made this for you just now," he said almost apologetically. Almost.

"I thought that with everything happening, you might want something to help you relax and... I actually considered making chamomile tea, but I know you don't really have a craving for it recently, so..."

"I appreciate your consideration," she began.

"But I'm not really in the mood for a latte now."

"Not in the mood?" Spike asked, flabbergasted. Normally, Rarity would never say no to have a small latte once in a while, but for her to deny it, especially when it was brewed just the way she likes it... he almost dropped the cup onto the floor.

"Why not? You always loved a latte."

Rarity wondered the same. She smelled that same exquisite smell from that brew; it stiffens her senses in euphoria and traverse her mind throughout planes of dimensions both bitter and sweet, making it a temptation she would never cease to refuse. This time... she didn't know why, but her stomach just gurgled like a bubbling cauldron filled to the brim, denying whatever drink that it has been offered.

"I know I do," she said.

"It's just... I don't feel like it, okay Spike?"

"You don't realize it."

"Realize what?" Rarity asked, confused at the sudden turn of the conversation.

"What is it, Spike? I don't understand."

"I can't help but feel that... we're drifting further apart lately."

"M-Maybe it's your imagination."

"But you were never this... distant," he proclaimed.

"It's almost as if you're hiding something from me."

"What do I have that requires hiding, Spikey?" she asked.

"Really, I don't understand what do you mean when it comes to us being further apart than before. Don't you think that you have that... what do you call it... unnecessary paranoia that you said I have as well?"

"Then why didn't you stop when I called you?"

Rarity just bit her lip. Guilty as charged, as she would've guessed. Spike was almost tipping over the edge, desperate as he was, his quirky composure shaken up by her cold, nonchalant manner. He's confused, she muttered to herself, trying to calm the turmoil that was actually turning her inside out. He's just making false assumptions. How crude, for a lady to resort to convince herself with a muddled bunch of bad lies.

"I was afraid."

"Afraid?" he questioned, curious.

"Of what?"

There was that question again. It was the one question that Rarity refused to give an answer to. With a flick of her mane, she turned around, sighing to herself as she started to trot away. Every time, he would ask what's disturbing her or what's bothering her in her sleep and each time, she would answer it in the only way she knew how. This time would be no different.

"Things. Just things."

O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O=O

"But our enemy could come at any second, Your Highness. If he ever does, we would not be able to stop him."

"We need time before we can do battle, Inkie Pie," Princess Celestia justified.

"All we have to do is be patient."

"Be patient." Inkie scoffed at those words.

"Too many lives have been lost because we were being patient, Your Highness. The Rembury, Trottingham, Manehatten, Camp Éigríochtar and Cirrus Gorge... and now, the Canterlot Barracks, the home to your own soldiers that have been fighting for the security of Equestria... how many more are you willing to risk?"

"You do not want the answer to that question."

Taken aback at the cold reply, Inkie just stared in disbelief as Princess Celestia strutted across her chambers. It wasn't an everyday honor for one to be invited into the Princess's room, but the resulting somber conversation they were having made Inkie thought otherwise. With her head held high, the alicorn marched out onto the balcony, her horn lighting up as she stared into her fabled sun.

"Janus isn't like any other enemy," she said.

"You, of all ponies, should know that. You've seen what he could do at Camp Éigríochtar. I don't have the courage to send thousands of lives to their deaths for the sake of Equestria. Would you?"

"I would try my best."

"I tried my best. A long time ago."

"What happened in Pendant Lakes wasn't a long time ago."

Princess Celestia just stifled a smile. Of course she wouldn't understand, she muttered to herself, eyes fixated on the big ball of flame as she lowered it slowly down the horizon. The moon was already beginning to rise; her sister was pretty early today, considering that Luna stood in place of her to look over Shining Armor's condition.

"Perhaps it wasn't," she replied.

"Still, I need time."

"I don't think we have anymore left."

"Time never belongs to us, Inkie Pie," the alicorn clarified.

"It gives us just the right amount for us to take a chance. As of now, I do believe it's job is not finished yet, which is why I urge you, all of you, to be patient. Our time would come when it wants to."

"What if it doesn't?"

No response. With a quiet sigh and a shake of her head, Inkie Pie marched off, leaving the princess alone to lower the sun. With everything plaguing her aside, Princess Celestia focused on her job at hoof, watching it climb lower and lower down the ever-changing panorama of clouds. It was an art by itself, lowering the sun, by bringing out the most brilliant array of colors as it disappears into the horizon.

She always loved the sunset, not because of its admirable beauty, but because it gave her a strange sense of tranquility, almost as if a day went by peacefully within her harmonious rule. Of course, with a new big, black blot at the land below, it was a wonder how the foundations of that tranquility still stood firm.

It was a wonder how she was still smiling at the sight before her.

"Harsh."

At that voice, Celestia turned around, her frown growing at the sight of a snakelike figure standing at the door, his eyes glinting a bright yellow. With a mirthful chuckle, he waltzed into the room, whistling a tune just as he pranced up towards her, which only wrinkled her snout even more.

"And by harsh," he continued.

"I meant how that mare, um... what's her name, I honestly can't recall!"

The alicorn scowled.

"Inkie Pie."

"Ah yes! Little Miss Inkie Pie," he cackled.

"What a pain in the neck. Ooh, and don't get me started how she talked up to a princess like, per say, you! Of all the princesses, she challenged your rule. As if she knows how to handle the reins of Equestria."

"What is it that you want, Discord?"

"Oh, not much," Discord answered with a somewhat sinister chuckle.

"I'm just here to check on my sweet, dearest Tia after a long day's work!" he stopped to breathe in, before letting it all out in a loud sigh. "So refreshing, isn't it? Finally, after all the bore of screams and shouts, the bonfires are put out. My my, I haven't seen something this chaotic since my days of old, I have to say!"

"If you don't want anything, then it's best for you to leave."

"Ah, ah, ah!" he said with a click of his tongue as if she were just a filly, which was almost enough to infuriate her. Of course, Princess Celestia knew better than to give in to his taunts; she knew better since a thousand years ago.

"Manners, my dear Tia. I'm sure you've heard of them, considering your preceding role as a bearer of the Elements of Harmony, so to speak. Remember those days? Now, that is certainly an era worth mentioning!"

"I'm not particularly interested in any of your games tonight, Discord," the alicorn snapped.

"Go harass somepony else, for the sake of your... diplomatic immunity."

"...is that a threat I hear?"

"I don't know," she responded with a glare.

"Is it?"

Discord's usually cheeky grin suddenly dived into the darkest frown, almost shrouding within the cloak of the night. It was one frown she had not seen ever since their last battle a long, long time ago. She still recall it clearly, how the entirety of her dominion nearly went to Tartarus from their resulting conflict. Of course, that was when she still feared him.

"Don't forget," he hissed spitefully with clenched teeth.

"I hold something, remember? That which was dear to you a long, long time ago."

"I remember."

"And you dare spew such cold, cynical banter at me?"

"You are reformed."

"One's reformation does not equate to his revisions over another's liabilities," he firmly declared.

"I may be a changed draconequus, but don't think for one split second that I would rethink on what you've owed me."

"I've settled that debt a long time ago."

Celestia remembered the terms as clear as day. It was a simple contract, yet with the things at stake back then, she would've called herself insane. Now, everything was said and done. She finished her end of the deal and now, it was his move. It was time he finally fulfilled his end of the bargain, as promised.

"If I hadn't. you still would be stuck in that stone prison of yours," she clarified.

"I've done my part, now what about you? You said you would keep your promise."

"I'm a draconequus of my word."

"Then what are you waiting for? Do it."

"Ah, but you see, Tia," he began, grinning.

"We have a... slightly teeny-tiny bit of a problem."

Celestia gritted her teeth, which only made his grin wider. She knew it wouldn't be that simple. She knew it wouldn't be that simple and yet, she still fell into his trap. If the situation permitted her to send him back to his stone prison, she would gladly do it without any hesitance. If only that were the case.

"What is it?" she griped.

"I believe my freedom is, per say, not socially accepted among your... peers, I would put them as," Discord said nonchalantly, snaking around the princess, who stood there with her chin lifted up by the last of her confidence. His stare was sadistic, his fangs glinting like a predator as he continued:

"Do you think the rest would want me back? How can you be so sure that they would just... welcome me as I am, my dear little Tia?"

"I'm not."

"And what are you planning to do about it?"

"I... I don't know."

There it was. Discord finally grinned the widest he could grin as Princess Celestia tried her best to catch her words, to no avail. Without a choice, she resorted only to gaze down to the ground, her shield of words having shattered into splinters. Cackling like the devil he was, he swirled up her hooves and around her body, the alicorn gasping when he wrapped around her tight with her body, restraining her like a dog on the leash.

"L-Let me go, Discord!" she yelled between pants.

"Let me go this instant!!"

"Why?" he whispered huffily into her ear, to which she just turned away.

"Well, once you're done being the grumpy old mare, I have a proposal to make."

"I can't do that."

"Bright as ever, Celestia."

The princess whimpered as his the tip of his talons drew upwards from her waist, ending at her chin where he stroked it, making her yelp. Clenching her eyes shut, she felt the bristles of his tail brushing across her coat, making her cry out in muffled squeaks.

"But what better way is there than a small reunion? After all, they were just a bunch of old, familiar and probably scrawny faces. Don't you think they deserve one more gathering?"

"You expect me to do something that hasn't been done in more than a thousand years."

"Have you not learn anything from Pendant Lakes?" he hissed.

"History repeats itself, my dear Tia."

"That would be what Janus wants. For us to get back together."

"Alas, it is inevitable."

"Then why? Why would I have to reunite us for the sake of your contract? Are you implying that you have discreet ties with Janus himself, Discord?"

"A mere, hapless accusation," he chuckled.

"Just think with that bubbling brain of yours. A union like that would bring together the powers of all the movements, be it minotaur, gryphon, cervine and hopefully the dragons. This small reunion is just an effort to bring back the faith they had in you. The faith Equestria had in you."

"In return--"

"I shall fulfill my end of the contract," Discord finished her sentence, giving a small bow.

"Like I said, I'm a draconequus of my word."

Princess Celestia quietly sighed just as he released her from his constricting grip, lightly panting. Without bothering to give Discord a glance, she strode back out onto the balcony. The moon had already risen up and hanging in the sky; a lonely soul watching over the sleeping earth. She felt the draconequus's mismatched pair of arms around her, making her latch her eyes once again. For an act she deemed vile and forbidden... she didn't bother anymore. She needed it.

"Do you miss him?" he asked, not out of concern, but out of spite. To which she could only grimly reply with a dim, woeful shimmer in her eye:

"Dearly."

Author's Note:

It took even longer than anticipated, due to the sudden rush of work at college, but here it is! :pinkiehappy: