• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 121 Comments

I Dream of Twilight Sparkle - Salnalus



Twilight and Spike go on a trip to Saddle Arabia, but something that happens there will change Twilight's life drastically.

  • ...
8
 121
 4,442

Chapter 12

It was now only about ten minutes before the time limit was up. It had been almost a whole seventy-two hours since Twilight’s transformation into a genie, and she was not in Malakhar’s hut to give her decision.

Malakhar sat in the middle of the main room, staring intently at the entrance while Spike paced back and forth, a worried expression plastered on his face. The more time had passed, the more Spike felt worried. His stomach felt like it was wrapped up in knots, and it only got worse as he imagined what Twilight was dealing with as she made her decision.

Malakhar offered him a piece of toast earlier as a generous gesture, as well as to calm down the baby dragon, but he was too concerned about Twilight’s condition to worry about his own appetite.

“Don’t worry,” Malakhar reassured with a hoof pointed out toward Spike. “She’ll be here on time to make her decision. There is no need to stress over this.”

“You don’t know that for sure,” Spike retorted. “What if something really did happen to her?”

Malakhar sighed and shook his head in response. “You’re right. I wouldn’t know for sure. Let’s just remain calm for now.”

Before Spike could get out another word, he saw a lone figure walk through the doorway of the hut. He turned toward the figure to see Twilight standing there with a stoic expression, blank and devoid of emotion.

“So you have finally returned,” Malakhar greeted sternly. Twilight faced toward his direction and nodded.

“I have. The time... how much is left? Or am I too late?”

“You’re just in time, as a matter of fact,” he informed, turning his head toward the clock hanging on the wall. “There’s only about six minutes left.”

After hearing that, her face shifted into a thankful smile. “Oh, good. I was afraid I wasn’t going to make it in time.”

Spike warily approached Twilight with one of the most anxious expressions she had ever seen from him. She could easily tell how nervous he was just from looking. He was visibly shaking worriedly, and this disheartened her.

“Are you alright?” Spike asked, hoping nothing really did happen.

“Yes Spike, I’m fine,” Twilight reassured, raising Spike’s spirits. “I just wanted to make sure I was really, really sure about what I wanted to choose. This whole genie situation had me think about what I wanted, more than anything I ever had to think about in my life.”

“I think I get it,” Spike responded, lowering his head. Noticeably, Malakhar also lowered his, remembering this was all his fault. Twilight shook her head with a smile, as if to assure them that nothing was wrong, and both raised their heads again.

“So what’s your decision, Twilight?” Spike asked with a bit of hesitation. At that point, Twilight closed her eyes.

Alright, I made my decision, she thought. But how do I go about telling it? How do I tell him about what I chose? He knew I had a hard time thinking about whether to stay a genie or return to normal. I could just blurt it out. Or maybe...

Just then, a smile had formed upon Twilight’s face. Spike and Malakhar saw it, and raised their eyebrows in confusion, wondering what Twilight was smiling about. Twilight, however, didn’t have to say anything. All she did was look straight at Spike with that wide smile of hers, and he expected her to say something to him.

What happened next surprised Spike even more. She winked an eye at him, and as soon as he saw it, he smiled wide and leaped at Twilight with wide arms. Twilight opened a forehoof for the ecstatic baby dragon, bringing him close for a hug. Spike latched around Twilight tightly, not wanting to let go, even for a second.

Right then and there, Spike knew she had considered what he wanted, and that was for her to stay a genie. From the angle he was standing, Malakhar could see tears of happiness form in Spike’s eyes, and he smiled warmly from the sight.

“Twilight,” Malakhar started, “what does this mean? Are you choosing to turn back into a normal pony, or are you staying a genie?”

He waited, but no answer came from either Twilight or Spike. Twilight sat on her haunches as her hooves were wrapped around Spike, smiling in anticipation of the life she just chose over her past one. Spike couldn’t feel more relieved, as he clutched on tighter.

Five minutes had passed, yet the duo were still held together by each others’ arms. Malakhar looked back at the clock, and saw that there were only ten seconds left. He couldn’t help but close his eyes and smile at the sight of Twilight and Spike, for not only did he feel for the mare and baby dragon’s closeness, but he also fully accomplished his dream of finally fulfilling his family’s long-time wish.

The ten seconds had finally passed. The time limit was over. Malakhar sighed, knowing this whole genie situation was over, and feeling relieved from having to worry himself over it any longer. Twilight and Spike were visibly crying joyfully, though Twilight knew she was completely sure about her decision to stay as a genie as opposed to going back to being a mortal unicorn mare. Sure enough, Spike was ecstatic about it as well, knowing he'd be able to live his life with the mare he felt the closest to.

Both the mare and dragon continued to hold each other, even minutes after the time limit had been up. The moment was just too special for the both of them to end quickly, so they tried to make it last. Malakhar could respect that, and decided to leave them be in the room to give them some much needed privacy.

Waterfalls weren’t exactly coming out of their eyes, but they leaked enough tears that left their cheeks wet. They both would remember every single happy tear shed for years to come as they spent their changed lives together.

Author's Note:

Aww, how cute!
And what a sweet moment this was.

Yes folks, the story was leading all the way up to this moment. What did you guys think? It was all great, and wow, what a story this has beeen.

Now it's about time we started wrapping up this story.