• Published 29th Mar 2013
  • 4,441 Views, 121 Comments

I Dream of Twilight Sparkle - Salnalus



Twilight and Spike go on a trip to Saddle Arabia, but something that happens there will change Twilight's life drastically.

  • ...
8
 121
 4,441

Chapter 13

Twilight and Spike were glad that whole genie fiasco was finally over. Not only was it stressful for Twilight and somewhat depressing for Spike, but it also prevented them from enjoying their vacation like they meant to. Now that they didn’t have to deal with that trouble anymore, they could do all the things they wanted to.

A few days passed since Twilight’s transformation became final. During that time, they did many things around the grand city of Saddle Arabia, such as socialize with the citizens, check out the various services offered at the market, purchase some delicious gems for Spike since he loved the stuff, and they always relaxed by hanging out with Kubuya at the library. Spike was usually bored during the last part, so he hung out with Malakhar in his hut instead.

During this, they had encountered many situations where a pony or two would want a wish granted for them. Luckily for the two of them, it wasn’t as abundant as they thought it would be. Twilight was always glad to grant simple wishes, but had to deny others for various reason. It was, however, a hassle for Spike to have to wish for every single wish the citizens of Saddle Arabia wanted, so he came up with a wish of his own.

“I wish you could grant wishes yourself!”

And by then, Twilight was able to grant the wishes of others without needing Spike. It became easier in the long run, but Twilight limited her wish-granting so as to not overexert herself, and to basically show others that she wasn’t a walking, talking wish fountain that they could use whenever they wanted.

Surprisingly, they understood very well. It was apparent that they knew that even genies of ancient times did not grant every single wish thrown at them. Some were even impressed by her responsibility as a genie, even though she was not one for long yet.

During the last day of their vacation, Twilight and Spike headed off to Malakhar’s hut after one last visit to Kubuya’s library, which was uneventful for the most part. Twilight had felt that she needed to have one last conversation with the stallion that made her a genie in the first place.

Once the beige stallion noticed them walking in, his face brightened up. Twilight and Spike returned the warm smile.

“Greetings once more, Twilight and Spike. I was hoping we could share a bit more time before your departure.”

“Well, of course,” Twilight chirped brightly. “We did spend some time with Kubuya before we came here.”

“Ah, the librarian…” Malakhar pondered as she stroked his goatee with his hoof.

“Yup,” Spike added, “so we wanted to visit the one other pony here we knew so well.”

“Well, to start-”

“Hold on,” Twilight interrupted, with a hoof held out. “I’m going to take a guess here and say you were going to apologize for turning me into a genie without consent once again, weren’t you?”

Malakhar chuckled nervously while rubbing his temples. “No, not at all…”

Twilight giggled. “Malakhar, I told you a few times already, I forgive you for that. Don’t worry about it anymore,” she reassured. “After all, we did talk about everything, and I have myself a lot of time to think, so I am sure I’m ready to live the next thousand years like this.”

Malakhar set his hoof down and nodded his head in understanding. “Very well then, Twilight Sparkle. For both of your sakes, I hope you two will be very happy with each other, since Twilight will now live so much longer.”

Twilight and Spike gazed at the other, flashing each other heartfelt smiles as they took in the realization. They couldn’t be happier with the decision that Twilight made, and it warmed them inside.

“In any case, is there anything else you want to talk about? It’s almost sunset, so you two should be going soon.”

Twilight and Spike thought about his question, but nothing came to mind. “Nothing in particular,” Twilight answered. “But, before we go, would you like a wish of your own? You never really had a wish granted from me before, so now’s your only chance.”

Malakhar shook his head. “Actually, I don’t want a wish. All I wanted was your forgiveness for this whole fiasco, but it seems I already got it, so I need not ask more of you.”

“Are you sure about that?” Spike asked, as he stepped forward. “We won’t be here for much longer, so once we’re gone, you can’t have any wishes granted. And seeing as you admire Saddle Arabian culture so much, we thought you’d want something, just like everypony else.”

“I mean it, Spike. I don’t really want anything else. All I wanted was Twilight’s forgiveness, and I have it already.”

Twilight stood silently for a moment, but then thought of something. She stepped toward Malakhar with a gentle smile on her face. “Well, I can see you don’t want a wish. But, I can give you something else, just as a reassurance for my forgiveness.”

Malakhar watched as Twilight stepped toward him. He had no idea what she was going to do, but he had an idea as soon as she moved her head toward the side of his. She quickly puckered her lips and planted a small peck on Malakhar’s cheek, which caused his pupils to shrink in surprise as his cheeks flustered a noticeable rosy color. Twilight withdrew herself, and stepped back.

“W-What was that about?” Malakhar questioned as he set his hoof on the cheek that was kissed. “W-Were you coming on to me?”

Twilight giggled once more and shook her head. “No no, not at all. it’s just for reassurance. I don’t really like you in that way. Besides, that was just a little friendly kiss. I give something like that to Spike all the time before we go to sleep.”

“T-Twilight!” Spike exclaimed as his own cheeks changed color. “You didn’t have to tell him that!”

“Oh, relax Spike. It’s cute.”

Spike just crossed his arms while looking away with the remaining blush. Twilight faced back toward Malakhar and feigned a cough. “Anyway, it’s about time we set off for Ponyville.”

“Couldn’t you just wish yourselves back to Ponyville?” Malakhar suggested. “Now that you’re a genie-”

“Oh no, it’s alright,” Twilight responded before he could finish. “We talked before we came here, and decided to take it slow and travel back with the hot air balloon we came here in.”

“Alright, if you say so. Let us go then. All of Saddle Arabia knows you’re leaving today, so they should be expecting you.”

“Well, do you want to come? To see us off, of course.”

After Twilight asked that, Malakhar joyously said, “I would love to.”


A massive crowd had gathered at the entrance to Saddle Arabia, where the hot air balloon Twilight and Spike arrived in was prepared for departure. The guide from earlier stood by the balloon as everypony waited for the now famous genie, at least in the city, to appear.

It had been sunset when Twilight, Spike and Malakhar arrived at the entrance. The crowd cheered and stepped aside for the renowned genie and her assistant. They looked back at Malakhar, who gave them a bright smile, and they returned the expression and pressed on.

The guide bowed for her as she came forward. “We here in Saddle Arabia hope you have enjoyed your visit.”

“Oh, we did,” Twilight answered with a nod. “I hope to return here someday since we enjoyed a lot of things here. Take care.”

The guide nodded, and stepped aside for Twilight and Spike to climb inside. Once they were inside, they took one last look at the crowd as the balloon lifted up into the air. As the seconds passed, the ponies shrunk smaller and smaller. Throughout it all, Twilight and Spike could see both Malakhar and Kubuya wave them off. Oddly enough, both of them were next to each other in the back of the crowd.

Malakhar sighed as he watched the balloon rise into the air and take flight. “What a few days this has been. I hope for the best for Twilight Sparkle and Spike.”

“So you’re the stallion they were talking about,” a female voice told him. He turned his head to see Kubuya beaming toward his direction.

“And you’re the librarian of that library… I am sure Twilight owes you a lot for all the information you have given her.”

“It was my greatest pleasure to assist not only a fellow librarian, but also a new genie at that! She has mentioned a stallion that transformed her into a genie, and it seems that I have found him.”

He stared at her for a brief moment, before they both laughed in unison. “Why yes, that was me. They, uh, told me you were a pretty interesting mare for somepony who ran a library. They were fortunate enough to have us both, with our extensive knowledge of djinn and the history of Saddle Arabia, huh?”

“Oh, very much,” Kubuya agreed. They spent the next few seconds staring at each other, almost as if a thought occured in both their minds. There was dead silence between the two, which left a slightly awkward feeling between the two.

“Do you…” Kubuya suddenly spoke up, “want to get to know each other?”

At this point, Malakhar blushed a second time, though less so than before. He thought back to a few days ago when Twilight first mentioned Kubuya, and how he should try to become a friend of hers. Malakhar didn’t forget those words, and now was a good chance.

“Sure, Ms. Kubuya.”

“Then it is settled, Mr. Malakhar.”

They presented each other with warm expressions for a small while, before they turned back to the sight of the hot air balloon high in the sky, now a speck in the sky.

By that time, Twilight had been tired and wanted to rest in the bottle, and as Malakhar and Kubuya talked, she had slipped inside the bottle while Spike held it. As the sky turned dark, he sat by the side of the basket and drifted off to sleep himself, hugging the bottle tightly in his arms with the happiest smile he had ever had.

Author's Note:

And that's the story! At least, that's the whole story of the origin of Genie Twilight Sparkle, anyway. But it doesn't end here.

All that's left is the Epilogue. So hold on.