• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 4,918 Views, 232 Comments

Rainbooms and Romance - Kodeake



Series of short, non-related chapters of Twidash.

  • ...
13
 232
 4,918

Crash

Crash

“Are you gonna be alright, sugarcube?” Applejack asked concernedly, hovering over Rainbow’s bed along with Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie. They all gathered in a semi-circle around the relatively small hospital room Rainbow had been admitted to.

“I’ll be fine,” Rainbow assured, though the strained, wheezy tone didn’t agree with what she had said.

“What happened?” Fluttershy asked quietly, taking a cautious step forward. Rainbow chuckled nervously, rubbing the back of her head with a hoof.

“I… did something stupid,” she admitted sheepishly, trying to dance around the question.

“Like pretty much everything else you do?” Rarity asked with a sly smile.

“Was it another super awesome trick?” Pinkie asked energetically, ever the optimist as she bounced happily at the thought of seeing another of Rainbow’s areal stunts.

“Kinda…” Rainbow trailed off as she heard the door open. She grimaced as a lavender unicorn walked slowly into the room, the rest of the group turned to look at her as well.

Twilight picked her way carefully through her group of friends until she was right next to Rainbow’s bed. Her lips were pressed into a neutral line as she leered down at the rainbow maned pegasus.

“Wellhavefunwiththatgottagobye!” Pinkie shouted, retreating quickly back out the door. She might not have been the most down-to-earth pony in the world, but she knew when to make a hasty retreat. Rarity cleared her throat roughly before speaking.

“Yes, I do believe I should be getting back as well. Do get better soon, Rainbow,” she said with a nervous smile before shuffling quickly out of the room, followed closely by Applejack, shouting ‘what she said’ over her shoulder.

“I need to go… tend to my animals… I hope you feel better Rainbow.” Fluttershy backpedalled out the door, keeping her mane between herself and the pair of mare’s left in the room. As the door slowly swung shut, Rainbow audibly gulped.

“Uh… hey, Twi…” Rainbow began, rubbing her hooves together nervously. Twilight sat back on her haunches, her breathing slow and even. Her horn glowed momentarily, shimmering and humming with energy for a few moments before the magical aura disappeared. Suddenly, she snapped.

“WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?” She yelled, making Rainbow cringe away from her.

“I thought I could-” Rainbow tried to defend, but Twilight cut through her speech with another shriek.

“YOU COULD HAVE DIED!”

“But I didn’t!” Rainbow protested, albeit weakly. She had never seen Twilight like this before. Sure, she had been worried whenever Rainbow crashed, but never to the point of anger. “And be quite, somepony will hear you.”

“Magical soundproofing,” Twilight said simply, “so I can yell at you all I want.”

Twilight’s horn glowed its signature purple as she brought a clipboard over to her.

“A broken wing, multiple compound fractures in both your front legs, three broken ribs, six cracked, a split hoof, a punctured lung, a minor concussion, and multiple hairline fractures in your other wing,” Twilight read off of the chart. Rainbow grew silent as her injuries were listed of for her.

“But the doctor said I’d make a full recovery, right?” Rainbow said, completely missing the point Twilight was trying to make. What did it matter as long as she would be fine?

“Don’t you get it? One of these broken ribs could have punctured your heart, or you could have hit at a slightly different angle and broken your neck! You came within inches of death, Rainbow!” Twilight yelled, dropping the chart to the floor and standing up.

“But I didn’t,” Rainbow repeated, stressing the fact that she was still alive. Twilight sighed, her anger being replaced by worry as she leaned down and kissed Rainbow on the lips lightly.

“When do you ever get it,” She chuckled darkly, standing upright and turning. “I’ll be back in a bit, I just need to get some water,” Twilight sighed as she walked out of the room, leaving Rainbow alone with her thoughts.

“Maybe I was a bit reckless…” She muttered to herself, thinking back over what she had tried to do. It had been a stupid idea from the beginning, but she never thought it would go this badly. Still though, Twilight was taking this way to hard, it’s not like she was crippled for life or anything. A few weeks and she’d be good as new.

Now that she thought about it, why did Twilight get so angry? Sure, they had been dating, but it had only been a couple weeks. Things might have been awesome between the two, but Twilight couldn’t be that serious about the relationship yet.

Her thoughts were derailed as Twilight walked back onto the room with a bottle of water in her magic. She seemed calmer then she had before. She didn’t look upset anymore, now she looked like a cross between worried and relieved.

The unicorn walked across the small room and sat in the chair next to the head of Rainbow’s bed, setting her bottle down on the bedside table as she did. They both sat in an awkward silence for a while, neither wanting to break the silence and risk another shouting match. Finally, Rainbow took a breath.

“How long?” She asked, turning up to face Twilight.

“How long what?”

“How long do I have to stay in here?” Rainbow clarified.

“About two to three weeks, depending on how your lung heals. After that, it’ll be another month or two until you can fly,” Twilight answered solemnly, sighing as her eyes met with Rainbow’s.

“Two months!?” Rainbow cried hoarsely, her voice still wheezy from her punctured lung. “What am I gonna do for two months without flying?”

“Be thankful you’ll fly again at all,” Twilight spat bitterly. Rainbow stopped her next complaint before it could slip out. Twilight was obviously upset about this, but Rainbow couldn’t figure out why.

“Why are you so upset about this? It’s not like you’re the one in this bed,” Rainbow asked carefully.

“I would prefer it if it were me,” Twilight mumbled under her breath.

“What?”

“Nothing,” Twilight lied.

“Twilight,” Rainbow pressed, “tell me what’s wrong.”

“I said I would prefer it if I was in that bed instead of you.” Twilight repeated loud enough for Rainbow to hear. Rainbow sucked in a sudden breath. Surly Twilight didn’t mean that?

“What?” Rainbow stared flabbergasted at the unicorn next to her.

“I can’t stand seeing you like this. I can’t stand the thought of what happened to you, and I can’t stand the thought that I almost lost you, Rainbow.” Twilight sniffled as a few tears dripped down her cheeks.

“Why?” Rainbow fought the urge to face-hoof as soon as the question left her mouth. It was obvious Twilight cared for her, a lot.

“Because… because I love you, Rainbow,” Twilight admitted, “and I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Rainbow felt her breathing stop. Twilight… loved her? How? When had it changed from a simple crush a few weeks ago to love? And why did this warm, fuzzy feeling spread through her when Twilight said that?

“I…” Rainbow trailed off, unsure of what to say or do. She didn’t even know how she felt about all this.

“I-I’m sorry, I’m getting ahead of myself, this is way to fast, we’ve only been going out a few weeks.” Twilight backpedalled desperately, panicking as she tried to retract her statement.

“I…” Rainbow’s mind was still reeling from the revelation that Twilight loved her. Twilight, the most amazing unicorn in Equestria, loved somepony like her, how was that even possible?

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to say that!” Twilight’s words finally brok Rainbow out of her thoughts. The pegasus turned to look at the flustered mare sitting beside her. Her mind was sent reeling from yet another ground breaking realization. This time, she didn’t need to think about it.

“I… love you too.” Rainbow muttered, just barely loud enough for it to be audible over Twilight’s panicked breathing. But hear it the unicorn did. T was her turn to be shocked.

“W-what?”

“I love you too,” Rainbow repeated with a toothy grin. “Twilight Sparkle, I love you too.”

Author's Note:

Is it just me, or is my writing getting worse? I think I could have done a much better job on this then I actually did. Ah well, let me know what you think in the box below.