• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 4,918 Views, 232 Comments

Rainbooms and Romance - Kodeake



Series of short, non-related chapters of Twidash.

  • ...
13
 232
 4,918

Strength

Strength
(Special thanks to Timaeus, for inspiring me to do this and allowing me to use his idea)

A lavender unicorn walked through an empty street. The only occupants were her and the pony that had a cyan wing draped across her back. Rainbow Dash wore a solid, angry grimace on her face as they walked, while Twilight simply frowned.

“Can you believe them!?” Dash nearly shouted, her anger making her blood boil. Twilight simply sighed.

“It’s not our decision what opinions they have, Rainbow. Equestria simply isn’t ready for us.” She said sadly, ignoring the frustrated snorting of her companion.

“Yeah, well Equestria better get ready, ‘cause we aren’t going anywhere.” She snorted defiantly. Twilight paid her no mind as her thoughts drifted back to the recent meeting with their friends.

“Excuse me, everypony, we have an announcement.” Twilight stood from the table her and her five closest friends were sitting at. They all turned to look at her expectantly, smiling pleasantly as they waited for the promised announcement. Suddenly, she lost her nerve. Her legs became wobbly and her mouth dried like cotton. However, before she could loose her nerve completely, Rainbow Dash stood up beside her, placing a comforting hoof on her shoulder. A brief moment of eye contact was all it took for Twilight to regain the confidence she had lost. With a reassuring nod, Rainbow removed her hoof and turned back to their friends.

“For about three months now, Rainbow Dash and I…” She trailed off, her will not strong enough to continue. Luckily, Rainbow was still standing next to her, and picked up where she had left off.

“Me an’ Twi have been dating.” She said happily, wrapping a wing around the unicorn standing next to her. A collective gasped echoed through not only their friends, but the entire restaurant. Rarity was first to regain her composure and spoke up.

“T-this is one of Rainbow’s pranks, right?” She asked hopefully, a thin and obviously fake smile painted across her face.

“Yeah, surly you aint one of… them, right RD?” Applejack offered, the same fake smile worn on her lips. Pinkie collapsed laughing on the floor, right out of her chair.

“T-that’s a g-good one, Dashie!” Pinkie giggled out in between heaving laughs. Rainbow and Twilight stared, shocked at the friends staring back at them

“I wouldn’t joke about something like this, guys. Not everything I do is a prank, you know.” Rainbow said firmly, yet not angrily.

“So, you really are a… a… fillyfooler?” Applejack said the word as quietly as she could, as if scared of the word itself.

“Is there a problem with that?” The rainbow pegasus spat defensively, hugging her marefriend a little closer with her wing.

“Well…” Applejack trailed off, unsure of how to phrase what she had to say. Instead, it was Fluttershy who spoke up.

“That’s just… not natural, Rainbow.” Fluttershy said, shaking her said disbelievingly.

“About as uncouth as you can get.” Rarity agreed with a nod.

“It just aint right, a mare just can’t love another mare like she can a stallion. It just doesn’t work.” Applejack said finally, attempting to find the least offensive way to voice her opinion.

“And how would you girls know!?” Rainbow barely kept herself from screaming as she glared down at the disapproving ponies still seated around her.

“Getting mad won’t fix anything, Rainbow. It’s just how most of Equestria has been raised. Remember how my parents reacted?” Twilight said sadly, eyes locked on her hooves as yet another memory clouded her mind.

“Twily, please, you aren’t like that, right?” Shining Armour asked hopefully. Looking pleading at his sister, hoping for her to start laughing with the mare she claimed was her marefriend. Unfortunately, all he saw were tears.

“You too, just like our parents.” Twilight sighed and turned away, practically dragging a steaming mad Rainbow Dash behind her as she left.

“I remember, and I still wish you would let me knock is block off. I can’t believe your own father called you a freak! I mean, who does that to their own daughter?” While Rainbow fumed, Twilight moped.

“Rainbow, we’ve both lost everything because of this!” Twilight snapped, stopping her slow trot to look her marefriend in the eye.

“We’ve lost our friends, our family, I don’t want to think about what Celestia’s response to the letter I sent will be, and you lost your job! Is this worth it?” She asked, tears brimming in her eyes as she looked imploringly at the mare she used to so proudly think of as her lover.

“Twi, you forget, there’s still one thing neither of us have lost.” Rainbow spoke calmly, getting a little closer so she could look twilight directly in the eye.

“And what’s that? Because as soon as Celestia drops me as her student, I’ll have lost everything I have!” Twilight’s rant was ended before she could say more by a cyan muzzle pressing itself onto her own. For a split second Twilight wanted to pull back, but her body acted of its own accord and shut her eyes, leaning into the kiss. In that one moment, she felt as if it really would be fine. After far too brief a time for Twilight, rainbow pulled back, smiling.

“Now come on, let’s go home.” Rainbow smiled again before turning and trotting away, wrapping a wing around the unicorn and pulling her along. In that time, Twilight smiled for the first time since they had left the lunch where they told their friends. Maybe she had lost almost everything, but something told her it was worth it if she could be with Rainbow.

Rounding the final corner to the tree they had been calling home together for nearly a week, the scene they saw wiped the smile right off Twilight’s face. Scrawled along the outer wall of the library was the word ‘Fillyfoolers’ in large red letters. At the bottom of the s was a small orange pegasus filly with a red paintbrush in her mouth and a paint can beside her. She looked up from her work to see the pair walking down the street and glared coldly at Rainbow before loading her supplies into a wagon and flying down the street on a scooter.

Twilight felt Rainbow stop dead in her tracks, knowing all too well why. “Come on, let’s get inside and clean this off before it dries too much.”

“Yeah…” Rainbow answered numbly, looking down the street the orange filly had just escaped down. They trotted quickly to the front door of the library. Their long and stressful day taking its toll on them as they opened the door with heavy sighs. They walked sadly into the library, heads hung low to the ground, missing the other four ponies standing around in a circle.

“Hey, you two took long enough.” Twilight and Rainbow’s heads both shot up at the voice, finding three mares and a stallion standing around them with warm smiles on their faces. Rainbow immediately took a defensive crouch between them and Twilight.

“What are you four doing here?” She snarled, spreading her wings threateningly.

“We’re here to congratulate you, look at the banner.” The stallion said. He had a caramel brown coat and a brown mane. His cutie mark depicted three horseshoes. Twilight looked up at the banner she had missed when she walked in the library. It read, ‘Twilight Sparkle + Rainbow Dash’ with hearts everywhere.

“Why? Aren’t you gonna shun us, too?” Rainbow asked suspiciously, earning a small chuckle from the stallion.

“We would, if we weren’t the founding – and only – members of the ‘Ponyville Gay and Lesbian Community’ or PGLC for short.” He said happily, pointing at the other three mares in the room.

“This is Cheerilee; you may know her from the school, Lyra from the music store, and Bon Bon from the candy store. I’m Caramel, nice to meet you both, since this our first official meeting.” He smiled widely, offering his hoof. Twilight took it in her hoof and shook it gingerly.

“So, you’re all-” Rainbow was cut off by Caramel.

“Homosexual? No, Lyra and Bon Bon are, but Cheerilee and I just support it. We’ve seen what being homosexual can do to ponies; and we try to prevent it. Cheerilee is using her position as a teacher to try and educate the young fillies and colts, but there’s only so much she can do without loosing her job. I do my best around town, as do Lyra and Bon Bon, but most of the ponies around here are just too stubborn to open their eyes.” He spoke happily; his smile was contagious, as both Twilight and Rainbow felt smiles of their own form on their faces. Maybe they weren’t alone after all.

“Hey, Twilight, glad you’re back, the Princess sent her reply.” Spike called as he ran down the stairs, letter in claw, up to Twilight and Rainbow. “Oh yeah, and there are a few ponies here to see you.” He added, motion to the four behind him. Twilight grimaced as she took the letter in her magic, slowly unfurling it before loosing her nerve and tossing it in the garbage.

“Huh? Twilight, what’d you do that for?” Spike asked quizzically, looking at the top of the letter that was sticking out of the garbage.

“What does it matter what others think? Even the Princess doesn’t matter anymore.” Twilight didn’t know where the words came from, but as soon as she said them she knew they were true. One look at Rainbow Dash sent her heart flying, and she would trade everything to have that feeling every day.

“Aren’t you at least gonna read it? She might approve, you know.” Spike asked again, still looking questioningly at the unicorn that would once do anything for the Princess’s approval. Twilight ignored Spike and turned back to the other ponies waiting and smiling patiently.

“Now then, isn’t this supposed to be a party?” She asked, pointing to the cake sitting on a table.

-_-_-_-

The party had been fun, but the whole time Rainbow was distracted, and now was her time to end this distraction. Carefully, she excused herself from her conversation with Lyra, and snuck her way to the garbage bin. With a sneaky hoof when nopony was looking, she extracted the letter. She hid it between her wing and her body as she made a quick retreat to the bathroom, where she unfurled and read the letter.

Dear Twilight Sparkle.

I’m so happy that you managed to find such happiness in another pony, and with a mare, no less. I always assumed Equestria wasn’t ready for this, and based on the angry letters I’ve received about my student ‘being a fillyfooler’ I think my assumption was correct. But maybe you can show them that love is not gender specific. Best of luck to both you and Rainbow Dash, I hope one day Equestria can open its eyes.

Princess Celestia

Author's Note:

As mentioned at the beginning, this was inspired by Timaeus's 'Jukebox Scribbles' (which I highly reccomend you read, if you haven't already... like, right now... go... NOW!)

Most of you probably think that the characters are out of character, and to that I say, they aren't. The simple fact of the matter is we have no official way of knowing how they would react to something like this. It's is completely head cannon. And while I persoanlly don't believe this would happen, this is supposed to be a worst-case senario for both of them. No matter if you agree with me or not, I hope you enjoyed.

As always, you can voice your opinions in the box below.