• Published 16th Mar 2013
  • 4,917 Views, 232 Comments

Rainbooms and Romance - Kodeake



Series of short, non-related chapters of Twidash.

  • ...
13
 232
 4,917

Anamnesis

Anamnesis
(Continuation of ‘Missing’)

Twilight paced frantically back and forth across the library floor.

“It doesn’t make any sense! How can fourth months of time just disappear!” Twilight ranted for what felt like the thousandth time, turning around to stomp back to the other side of the room. Rainbow swore she saw a groove beginning to form in the floor.

“Twi, just calm down for a second. I’m sure we can-”

“CALM DOWN!?” Twilight yelled, wheeling around to face the pegasus sitting on one of the room’s cushions. “How am I supposed to calm down? Four months of my memories are gone. The last thing I remember happened right before you asked me out and I can’t even send a letter to Celestia without it taking a week in the regular mail!”

Rainbow sighed and sank a little lower into her cushion. What was she going to do? Four months of Twilight’s memories were gone. Four months of some of the strongest feelings Rainbow had ever felt were hers and hers alone. She was never one for sappy, but around Twilight… her image just didn’t matter. She could live with the occasion nuzzle or kiss in public. She could survive being called a mushy wimp if she could still have Twilight. But now? What would happen now?

As Rainbow struggled with her thoughts, Twilight finally stopped her pacing. She ran over to one of her numerous bookshelves and began frantically tearing books out with her magic. She briefly glanced over each title before tossing the books into a pile behind her.

“No, no, no, no, no, no!” Twilight’s searched continued at a fevered pace, the pile behind her steadily growing larger and larger.

“Hey Twi, what are you-” Rainbow was silenced as a particularly large hard cover book over shot the pile and hit her square in the face. The book fell to the floor a second later, leaving a very annoyed cyan face.

“Hey Twilight, what gives?” Rainbow shouted, massaging her sore muzzle as Twilight continued ransacking her book shelf.

“I need to find a book! Surly there’s a book that explains this! Maybe there’s a way o fix it!” Twilight explained rapidly, never taking her eyes off the books sailing past her.

“Uh, maybe you’d have better luck if you weren’t in the ‘history’ section?” Rainbow offered, pointing to the label above the shelf proudly proclaiming it’s designation for history books.

“Uh… right, I knew that,” Twilight said sheepishly, a light blush crossing her cheeks as she made her way to another shelf, this one labelled ‘magic and medicine’ and repeated the process of tearing book after book off the shelf in a purple glow before depositing them on the floor behind her.

Rainbow just sighed and lay down on her cushion. If Twilight couldn’t find an answer, then it was hopeless. If Twilight couldn’t find the book with a way to fix this, then there was no way. She’d have to start over from the beginning. Four months for nothing. Would Twilight even say yes this time? Did she still have a chance even after all this had happened?

“AH-HAH!” Twilight exclaimed, her magic aura fading from all but one book. Rainbow watched as Twilight began flip furiously through the book. The title was obstructed from her point of view, but it was thick. Curious, and a little bit hopeful, she stood from her spot on the cushion and made her way over the unicorn.

“Find something?” Rainbow asked, trying to read over the Twilight’s shoulder. All she could see was the word ‘Anamnesis’ in big, bold letters at the top of the page.

“It doesn’t explain how or why this happened, but it does give something that might fix it,” Twilight mumbled, more to herself then Rainbow.

“So… that’s a good thing, right?” Rainbow asked a hopefully. Maybe she didn’t have to start over.

“I… don’t know. It’s very vague in what it can cure. It claims to be able to cure most forms of mild amnesia from a head injury, and says it might help with more severe cases linked to trauma. But I have no idea what’s caused mine, so I don’t know how effective it’ll be.”

“It’s worth a shot, isn’t it?”

“I… guess,” Twilight admitted, though she was obviously uncertain about something.

“What wrong?” Rainbow asked, having caught the unsure tone.

“It’s just… why did I lose my memory? There has to be a reason for it. It’s not like memories can just vanish for no reason,” Twilight sighed heavily, her head dropping a little lower.

Rainbow walked around from behind to beside the lavender unicorn, sitting down next to her. She wrapped her wing around Twilight’s shoulder. She unicorn tensed up at the contact, but made no attempt to remove it.

“I don’t really know why. Your last memory was right before I asked you out, so that might have something to do with it. But sitting here and thinking about it is getting you nowhere. Maybe if you get your memories back, you might remember something that could have caused this,” Rainbow kept her voice low and as comforting as she could manage with how anxious she was. They were this close to fixing everything, and all Twilight wanted was to know why it happened? Why did it matter as long as they fixed it?

Still, Twilight seemed to be a little happier, more sure then she had previously. Rainbow took her chance.

“So what is this spell going to do? Do you need some kinda fancy potion or something?”

“No, it’s just a spell. It says once I cast it it’ll work automatically. It should render me unconscious for a few hours and begin trying to find and repair any memories that have been affected,” Twilight explained as she looked back down to the book floating in front of her.

“Alright, then you’ll probably want to be in bed,” Rainbow rationalized, already standing from the floor. "Come on. The sooner we fix this the better, right?”

“Why are you so anxious to fix this?” Twilight asked as she stood, joining Rainbow in her trot to the stairwell.

Rainbow stopped as the question reached her ears, a single hoof on the first step.

“Twi, if the pony you loved more than anything in the world suddenly forgot everything. If suddenly they didn’t even remember going on a single date with you, what would you do? If there was a solution sitting right in front of you, would you wait to figure out why it happened, or would you grab that solution like it was your last hope to live?”

“Rainbow…” Twilight whispered, stunned into silence by Rainbow’s admission. It had been only four months, and Rainbow felt that strongly about her?

“Come on. Let’s see if we can fix your memories,” Rainbow said as she started walking up the stairs. Twilight followed with the book following in a purple magical aura. As she ascended the stairs, she pretended not to notice the small, wet circles on the stairs.

She followed Rainbow into her room, the pegasus motioning to the bed. Twilight climbed on before bringing her book and opening it to the Anamnesis page. She read it over one more time before shutting it with a firm nod and placing it on her bedside table.

“Alright, it’ll take a few hours for the spell to finish. Where can I find you when I wake up?” Twilight asked, looking over to Rainbow.

“You don’t actually think I’m gonna leave do you?” Rainbow raised an eyebrow at the unicorn.

“This could take anywhere from 3 to 7 hours according to the book. I doubt you’ll want to wait here that long.”

Rainbow seemed to consider that for a second, looking around the room before nodding her head in agreement.

“Alright. I’ll be right back,” In a flash Rainbow disappeared out the hall and down the stairs. Twilight had only seconds to wonder where she had gone before she flew back into the room with a book clutched in her jaw and a cushion in her forelegs. She set the seat down, fluffing it with a hoof before sitting on it.

“It’s been a while since I read the first Daring Do book; I think it deserves a re-read,” Rainbow answered, drawing a light giggle from Twilight. She might not remember dating Rainbow, but she did remember getting the pegasus hooked on her favourite series.

“Alright, if you’re sure you want to wait,” Twilight watched Rainbow nod firmly before taking a breath and channelling magic into her horn. She went over the spell in her mind as she began forming it, slowly shaping the shapeless magic into a useful form. Once she was sure she had gotten it right, she cast the spell on her self. Instantly she felt it take effect. Her vision slowly bled to black as she fell unconscious, falling into the void of her mind. The last thing she was conscious for was falling back onto her bed.

Rainbow let her calm façade fall away as she looked at the unconscious librarian. She prayed silently that it would work as her self confident smile fell away to a solid frown. The only thing she could do now was wait. She could do nothing to change the outcome. She was helpless.

She hated waiting, and being helpless.

With a huff she laid down on the pillow, the book beside her completely forgotten as she watched Twilight and hoped for the best.

-_-_-_-

Twilight’s eyes fluttered open to the welcoming site of her bedroom’s ceiling. She yawned, stretching out her front legs for a moment before sitting up in her bed. She looked around her room for a moment, her eyes instantly landing on a cyan pegasus sitting on a cushion in the corner. Rainbow looked at her with a mixture of fear and hope. As soon as she saw Rainbow, a sharp pain lanced through her head. Suddenly memories began playing in her mind like a movie, memories she didn’t know she had, memories she had forgotten. They were the memories of the past four months of her life with Rainbow Dash.

They held all her feelings of the time she had spent with Rainbow. Her happiness, her joy, her nervousness at first, it all came rushing back to her in seconds. Then, just like it had started, it ended. The pain left and the memories stopped, leaving her sitting quietly on the bed staring at Rainbow.

In an instant Twilight charged her horn, casting her signature teleportation spell with a pop. Another flash and bang later as she reappeared in front of Rainbow, barely giving Rainbow time to react before wrapping her hooves around the pegasus’s neck and planting her lips firmly on Rainbow’s. Rainbow stared into Twilight’s eyes for a second, stunned by the unicorn’s quick movements. She regained her senses after a few brief moments and pushed back into the kiss, allowing her eyes to close along with Twilight’s.

After a long, passionate kiss, Twilight finally pulled back, panting lightly.

“I take it you remember?” Rainbow asked with a smile as she snaked her hooves around Twilight’s neck and pulled her close.

“Yes, Rainbow, I remember,” Twilight answered with a smile, burying her face into Rainbow soft fur and giving a slight squeeze. “I remember everything.”

-_-_-_-2 weeks later-_-_-_-

“Hey Twi,” Rainbow began trotting beside the lavender mare down one of Ponyville’s streets towards her library home. The sun had long since gone down and the moon was high in the sky, shining brightly alongside the stars. “You ever figure out what caused you memory loss?”

“Hmm? Oh. I never really tried, actually. What does it matter as long as we fixed it?” Twilight asked with a giggle, lightly shoulder checking her marefriend as they walked.

“That’s what I said,” Rainbow said with a chuckle, “but really, did you?”

“The best I can guess is one of my experiments had a side effect I was unaware of that caused some form of radiated magical energy to seep in through my horn, and it latched onto the memory of dating you, which would explain why it only took those memories. Though what experiment, I have no idea.”

Rainbow seemed to accept the answer, remain silent as they walked. She wrapped a wing around Twilight’s withers and drew her closer until their fur was rubbing together. She leaned down and pecked Twilight lightly on the cheek.

“Love ya egghead.”

“Love you too featherbrain,” Twilight responded with a giggle, nuzzling her cheek into Rainbow’s neck.

Author's Note:

For those interested.
Anamnesis: The recollection or remembrance of the past; reminiscence.

In other news, my friend who wrote the last chapter has decided to make himself known. His name on fimfic is Snowfrost. You can find him here. While he currently does not have any stores up, he is working furiously on a ship fic that I am helping him edit. He hopes to have it up soon. Go show him some love. If you have any more question for him, go post them on his page.