• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 6,563 Views, 156 Comments

On The Dark Side of the Moon - Blue Wolf



Twilight's day hasn't gone well. Her night is about to get a WHOLE lot worse. Starting with being banished to the Moon.

  • ...
5
 156
 6,563

2 - Act 1 - Mercy Flight.

Within a very short time, several ponies had been roused from their beds by a frantic Spike, and a small commotion was going on outside the library. Inside, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were gathered round Twilight's bed, who still lay on her bed asleep and sobbing uncontrollably – tears flowing down her cheeks from her closed eyelids. Rainbow Dash was standing guard on one of the balconies, looking towards Canterlot in the distance but came back in as the door burst open and a sleepy Applejack and Applebloom stumbled in.

“What in the HAY is goin' on around here? And what's wrong with Twilight?” The orange farm pony blinked in surprise at the sight of Twilight shivering under her covers.

“Applejack! Thank goodness...we've tried everything we could think of, but we can't wake Twilight up!” Rarity, still with a sleep mask on her head came towards her from Twilight's bedside with Fluttershy in tow.

“She seems to be caught in some sort of terrible nightmare!” explained Fluttershy.

“Won't wake up? But...how could that be?”

“This is all my fault...” Princess Luna was standing a little way from Twilight's bed, looking out of the bedroom window at her moon, it's surface unblemished by the markings it had borne during Luna's imprisonment. She lowered her head, clearly upset and speaking half to herself. “How could I have been so careless?”

“Princess Luna?” Applejack jumped as the younger Ruler of Equestria spoke up and bowed respectfully. “Wait...I don' understand, what do ya mean?...is Twilight goin' to be OK?”

Luna sighed. “This nightmare is much more than a simple bad dream Applejack. It is a magical manifestation of Twilight's worst fears, her deepest anxieties have been given life...because of my error.” Luna turned and approached the bed, touching her nose against the blankets covering Twilight. “ She will not be able to escape without our help. The nightmare is draining her spirit and her magic, and soon Twilight will be left hollow – a shell of her former self forever locked in dreams of nothing but despair...”

“Trapped...in despair....Forever?? N-no way!” Rainbow Dash appeared by Twilight's bed in a flash of colour

“What'll we DO?” Pinkie Pie wailed

“We jus' gotta help her ya'll!”

Just the door opened and Spike re-appeared, very much out of breath. “OK, Time Turner's volunteered to go out to Zecora's hut. I just hope her potions can help - urghk!” Spike's sentence was abruptly cut short by the familiar symptoms of the unique method of mail delivery the young dragon was known for. One floor shaking belch later and a sealed scroll was falling to the ground in front of them.

“It's a letter from Princess Celestia!” The ponies crowded round as Spike read out the terse note.

“My dearest Luna,

You must bring Twilight and her friends to Canterlot at once. There is not much time.”

Celestia.”

“Canterlot? But how are we going to get there?” asked Rarity
“There won't be any trains THIS late at night!” Applebloom pointed out.

Rainbow Dash flared her wings suddenly. “C'mon Fluttershy, we're up!”
Fluttershy's eyes went wide. “Er...m-me?”
Rainbow Dash stomped her hoof determinedly, striding up and down like a drill sergeant. “The quickest way to Canterlot is to fly there, and that means us Fluttershy! Me and you giving it our all! Twilight's counting on us to get everypony there fast!

Fluttershy gulped nervously “but I'm...I'm not...”
Rainbow Dash's cerise coloured eyes appeared in front of her own. “Please?”
Fluttershy took a deep breath and plucked up her courage. “Alright. I'll do it Rainbow Dash. I'll do it for Twilight so she won't be sad anymore.”
“You GO Fluttershy!” cheered Rainbow Dash, giving her fellow pegasus a hoof bump.

Applejack began to take charge. “OK everypony, here's the plan. Big Macintosh and me'll hurry back to Sweet Apple Acres and bring up the hay cart, We'll use that to put Twilight and tho's of us who can't fly in. Ya think you can manage us all Rainbow?”
“We can assist Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy with the cart during the flight.” replied Luna.
“Thanks Princess. The rest of us'll look after Twilight during the trip.” declared Applejack.

“And me! Wha'll I get to do sis? asked Applebloom eagerly, bouncing up and down in one spot.
“Y'll go back to bed Missy...”
“Aww...horseapples...” Applebloom gave her older sister a dirty look.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were soon waiting outside the library, and as soon as Applejack and Big Macintosh galloped up with the cart in tow they wriggled into their harnesses and flexed their wings. Luna was waiting nearby, watching Rarity and Applejack carefully carrying Twilight – now wrapped in a blanket – out of the Library to the cart. The princess had already resorted to using a spell to try to calm the stricken Twilight for the journey, although Luna could do nothing to ease the nightmares that plagued her. She could see Twilight's body still curling and writhing in her discomfort under the blanket as she lay carefully supported on Applejack's back, safely enclosed in the glow of Rarity's magic.

“OK Applejack, a little to the leftie...no! No! More righty!” Pinkie Pie, wearing a hard hat with a pink strobe light on the top was walking backwards in front of them and talking all the time, much to Applejack's annoyance.

“Pinkie...I know where I'm goin'!”

“It's OK Applejack, I don't mind helping! I'm going to make sure Twilight arrives in the cart safe and sound! Pinkie sense is on full alert! If I get so much as a twitchy tail I'll scream...except that maybe would be what causes Twilight to fall so maybe I won't scream, I'll wave instead, except maybe that might be the thing that causes Twilight to fall too so maybe I'll...I'm watching you Mister creepy-peepy Thunderlane, the only eye-candy you'll be getting out of Twilight 's gonna be my back hooves!...where was I? Oh yeah! A little higher Rarity! Wait..lower!...”

“Pinkie!”

“Maybe I should throw a “Farewell-and-hope-Twilight-gets-better-soon party before we go, that might help Twilight feel better and then she wouldn't have to go after all, but then that might spoil the party and-”

“PINKIE!”

“Okie-loki-dokie Applejack! but...shouldn't Twilight be in the back of the cart instead of the driver's seat? Because I heard that driving while you're sleepy can really be-”

Rarity levitated Twilight carefully back onto the improvised bed of hay in the back of the cart as Applejack buried her face in her hoof and resisted the urge to scream in frustration. Luna just gave Pinkie a blank look as the last of the Mane Six climbed aboard the cart next to Twilight, then her horn lit up as she cast a spell that caused the cart to glow briefly. It was a simple Lighter-than-Air spell, but as the cart wasn't built for flying she would have to use her magic during the trip to keep the vehicle from breaking under the unusual strains.

Spike climbed up the front of the wagon near to Applejack. “You know...maybe I should stay behind to wait for Zecora? She's not here yet and we'll need somepony to tell her to come to Canterlot.”

Luna shook her head. “Twilight will need all of her friends to be with her Spike. Especially you, who have lived and been friends with Twilight the longest of anypony here. And I'm sure that another pony here can inform Zecora that she will be needed in Canterlot. Her skills in potions will prove as useful as her own friendship with Twilight.”

Rainbow Dash grew impatient. “Well? C'mon, what are we waiting for? Will everypony please hurry up, we're wasting time here!”

Spike quickly scrambled into the front seat, just as Applebloom popped up behind him.
“Hey I know! I'll wait for Zecora to arrive, and I'll tell her to come to Canterlot for you! Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo can help too! We'll be...Cute Mark Crusader Messengers! Yay!”
“Wha...?” began Applejack, just as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy dug in their hooves and the cart began to move away. Applejack's head appeared over the back of the cart as it began to gather speed for take off, hollering crossly at her youngest sister.

“I TOLD you you were goin' back to bed Missy! BIG MACINTOSH!!!!!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The cart flew through the night sky towards the darkened streets and towers of the pony capital. Luna was still flying alongside, using her magic to support the cart as Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy pulled it through the skies at top speed. In the cart, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and Applejack were doing their best to ensure Twilight stayed warm and safe.

Princess Luna glanced over at the unfortunate unicorn, frowning uncomfortably before looking ahead of the cart at the winged shapes before them. Her sister Celestia was obviously taking no chances of them being delayed. A host of pegasi from the Palace Guard had arrived to escort them as they approached, and even a couple of rather sleepy Wonderbolts had been scrambled and were now trailing either side of them. As they passed over the rooftops of the city, their escorts broke formation and the cart began to descend rapidly towards the entrance to the castle of Canterlot, it's towers now looming large in the moonlight.