• Published 10th Mar 2013
  • 6,563 Views, 156 Comments

On The Dark Side of the Moon - Blue Wolf



Twilight's day hasn't gone well. Her night is about to get a WHOLE lot worse. Starting with being banished to the Moon.

  • ...
5
 156
 6,563

7 - Act 2 - The Master of Chaos

"Waaaaahahahahaha!!”

The Spirit of Disharmony fell about, laughing fit to burst at the cowering ponies. “Astounding! Your FACES! Simply PRICELESS! Hahahahaha!”

There was a flash of light and the Draconequus vanished from the pedestal and reappeared - minus the hat and sweater, lying on the ground beside the group, still doubled up with laughter. “That was so FUNNY!”

“DISCORD!” Luna angrily stepped forward, her starlit mane and tail billowing out and her eyes glowing in anger, as the Royal Canterlot Voice of Luna echoed all over Ponyville. “YOU KNAVE! YOU CORRUPTOR! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!? EXPLAIN YOUR PRESENCE HERE AT ONCE FIEND!”

Discord materialized in front of her, idly lying on a recliner conjured from nowhere. “Why if it isn't the charmingly mysterious Luna! I haven't seen you in aeons...I seem to remember you were turning me to stone for the first time when I saw you last, but I'll let bygones be bygones...”

Rainbow Dash practically head-butted the chaos pony as she zoomed in to go nose to nose with him, her eyes angrily staring into his from point blank range.

“All right Discord...Just what did you do to Twilight!?”

The top of Discord's head magically flew open like a trapdoor with a loud cuckoo, revealing another Discord head on a spring. It bobbed up and down above the mare's head like an evil jack-in-the-box and spoke. “Oh Rainbow Dash...I've had so much on my mind lately...Just what was it I did to Twilight again?” The puppet-like head joined it's larger version in a mischievous grin.

“You know what I mean! You can't fool me again!” hissed the pegasus.

“Ah, my little Dashie...” The Draconequus teleported again with a snap of his talons and re-appeared in front of the group “What fun is there in just telling you what I did? But of course...there's plenty of fun in it when you've done absolutely nothing...” He pulled off his fang to pick at the rest of his teeth.

“Quit stallin' Discord. Ah ya'll responsible for al' this?” demanded Applejack.

“Do give me some credit, not-so-honest Applejack...” With another flash of light the trickster vanished and reappeared yet again, dressed in a suit with a monocle screwed into his eye, acting every bit the posh connoisseur.

“...I had so much fun breaking your friendship when we first met. It was truly a masterpiece of chaos that is still very dear to my heart...” The Master of Chaos snapped his claws and a giant framed picture of the ponies arguing appeared.

“But truly, it simply pales in comparison to your chaos art nouveau...now THAT was pure genius...”

“Wha' ARE ya talkin' about Discord?? growled Applejack impatiently.

“Oh...but I'm talking about you ponies of course!” the Spirit of Chaos ditched his disguise by unzipping himself, skin and all. “I merely had to sit back and enjoy the show...” Another flash of light heralded another costume change, this time to that of a ringmaster. “...AND WHAT A SHOW IT WAS!” Discord announced enthusiastically to a non-existent audience.

“...W-wha?” ventured Applejack. Discord teleported into their midst and put an arm round each of the ponies, five in all.

“I had such a laugh at all the nasty things you had to say to your friend...” More bursts of chaos magic put the Draconequus in a cinema-style chair with 3D glasses on his head and a cup of soda and a bag of popcorn in each claw. “I LOVED it Rainbow Dash, when you told Twilight that you didn't trust her because you thought she was experimenting on you...” Discord slurped at the straw, the cup disappearing up it before he crumpled up the unusually solid soda in his claws and threw it over his shoulder.

“But the award has to go to Applejack, the Element of Honesty! Telling Twilight that you believed she only cared about those pathetic reports she sends to her precious Princess Celestia...truly a master-stroke! You succeeded in breaking your friendship in ways I've never even thought of before....”

Applejack glanced over to Luna, horror struck. “How coul' he know so much abou' tha'?” she whispered to the Princess. Luna looked back at the cowpony but gave no reply.

“And now...poor, friendless little Twilight is trapped in her worst nightmares...” Discord vanished and re-materialised on top of the pedestal again, dressed once more in the hat and striped sweater. “Oh this is just going to be too entertaining. And to think...I have you ponies to thank for gift-wrapping your best friend in her own guilt, and dropping her right where I want her...”

Pinkie Pie growled at Discord. “If you do ANYTHING to my friend Twilight, you're going to get IT...once I find out what IT is...you'll get it!”

“Really...If you think we are just going to let someone so...uncouth...torment our friend you are sorely mistaken.” scoffed Rarity, as Spike beside her glared dangerously at Discord. “...and as for that truly DREADFUL outfit...Brown with red and green stripes indeed! It's a crime against fashion, and I will not allow such an affront to the eyes to go unpunished!”

Discord snorted. “Will you ever learn?...hellooo... I am the Master of Chaos! Do you really think that even with your precious Elements, you have a chance of stopping me from doing whatever I want? What could I possibly have to fear from a... broken 'friendship'?”

“You...YOU'RE WRONG!”

Fluttershy had finally reached the limit of her temper and flown directly in front of Discord. The other ponies' jaws dropped open as the normally shy pink and yellow pegasus stared Discord down, her normally soft voice loud enough to echo around them.

“You're wrong about us breaking our friendship with Twilight! We may have been mean to her, and she may never forgive us - but we still care for her! And even though I'm scared of all the horrible things you can do, or that Twilight won't speak to me anymore - saving Twilight means more to me because she is still my friend, whatever she thinks of me! True friends stay friends...No. Matter. What!”

“...F-Fluttershy!” gasped Rainbow Dash in astonishment.

Discord gave Fluttershy an evil glare. “Humph...We'll soon see about that...And now if you'll excuse me, I have some Chaos to wreak...” The arch-trickster vanished with another snap of his claw.

"Whew..." Applejack sighed in relief. “C'mon everypony, best we keep movin.'”

The band of friends began to move off again but Applejack hung back for a moment, stopping to look at the stone column Discord had disappeared from. “Ah sure wish ah knew what that was all about...”

“Whatever do you mean darling?” asked Rarity, turning to look as well before looking back round at Applejack.

“Did anypony else think tha' Discord seemed...different somehow? An' how in the wide wide world of Equestria di' he know abou' wha' we were sayin' ta Twilight?”

“I noticed that too... and he also didn't seem to remember what we taught him the last time we saw him either...remember?” Fluttershy put a hoof up to her chin in thought.

“Well...no sense in worryin' about it now...we got a friend ta save...” Applejack set off once more down the road leading out of town. Rarity and Fluttershy followed behind, the three mares joining the procession as the group left the deserted Ponyville, heading into the night for the distant hill.