• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 1,557 Views, 53 Comments

Through Her Lens - SandyShores



After breaking her leg, Rarity finds interest in watching ponies whose lives she finds rather addicting, however things take a dark turn when she fears she watched a stallion murder his wife.

  • ...
0
 53
 1,557

A Keen Eye

When she woke up Rarity tried to be more productive, sure she couldn’t make dresses, but at least she could design something beautiful. She grabbed a few pencils and a notepad, and began sketching the lines that would become her latest ensemble, but after a while she found it useless. From lack of inspiration, to simply being in too much pain to design, she gave up on her idea of doing anything productive entirely.

It was afternoon as she peered out the window and noticed the same blue pegasus from the previous night. She was out in her yard gardening. Rarity watched as she was enchanted by her growing garden. She never noticed the garden before, but the roses that this pegasus were able to grow were absolutely stunning. She could only watch as the mare, who probably spent years mastering her craft, tended to her incredible collection of tulips, orchids and the most stunning roses she’d ever seen.

Rarity went over and grabbed her camera; she wanted to capture the absolute beauty of those flowers. She took the most endearing photo of this pegasus as she cared for what must be one of the most important things in her life.

Rarity heard more yelling however and looked over to see the mail mare being thoroughly criticized for delivering the wrong mail. She set the camera down and could tell the stallion was the same who yelled at his wife the previous night and he was clearly still upset from the night before, that didn’t mean he had to take it out on Ditzy.

She noticed Applejack walking by on her way to her Boutique, when she caught wind of Ditzy’s berating. She walked over and Rarity watched as Applejack scolded the stallion for yelling at Ditzy. She proceeded to yell, which Rarity could not make out. She then led Ditzy away from the angry stallion and gave the visibly upset mare a hug before walking into Carousel Boutique.

***********

“Ugh, the nerve of someponies” Applejack made her way into the kitchen of Rarity’s Boutique to find Sweetie Belle once again making lunch. “And what’s for lunch today Sweetie Belle?”

“Well today I’m making Rarity some soup. Except I’m not sure how to make soup.”

“Don’t you worry about it Sugarcube, I’ll finish up in here and bring Rarity her soup. Why don’t you make yer way over to the clubhouse? Applebloom’s been asking about you an’ wondering where you’ve been.”

“Are you sure, I don’t wanna leave Rarity alone.”

“I’m sure, now go on your friends wanna se ya.”

“Thanks Applejack.” She made her way over and hugged the mare. “I’ll be back soon.”

Applejack finished up the soup and made her way upstairs. She found Rarity gazing out the window, never noticing that she entered. “Eh’hem.” Applejack cleared her throat. Rarity turned and smiled toward her. “Well you look more chipper than ya did yesterday.”

“Thank you Applejack, is that my soup? I feel like I haven’t eaten in a while. Mostly because with Sweetie Belle it’s a game of Roulette, and I always bet on black.” She smiled as the soup was placed on her lap. She began sipping the mixture and found it rather hot, as she decided to give it a minute to cool off.

“So Applejack I saw your little show outside, with the stallion that yelled at poor Ditzy.”

“You saw that? Can you believe the nerve of someponies? Ditzy Doo is one of the kindest, most sweetest mail mares you’ll ever meet, and that brute yells at her in front of everyone, just for delivering the wrong mail.”

“Well you wouldn’t believe it, but I saw that same stallion yelling at his wife yesterday. He must be really upset.”

“You saw him yelling at his wife, now how in the hay did you see that?”

“I heard him yelling at her, yea he was really giving it to her and ended up sleeping on the couch.”

“You watched them as they argued, that ain’t right. You shouldn’t watch what two ponies do in their own home.”

“I know Applejack, but honestly he doesn’t seem like much a gentleman himself.”

“Okay, but shouldn’t be snoopin’ like that. ” Applejack now changed subjects as Rarity began sipping her lunch. “Now I brought some playing cards, wanna pass the time?”

Rarity grumbled. “Sure” She’d rather watch out her window and ‘observe’, as she put it, the ponies of the town. But she’d just have to catch up on her on subjects later.

*******

Applejack left after Sweetie Belle came back, and as much as Rarity enjoyed her company with Applejack, she much preferred her ‘window-shopping’, and with Applejack around Rarity wasn’t about to snoop on other ponies.

As night fell she first noticed ‘Hemingway’. He was looking over what he had written the previous night and with his ‘sword’, he began the process of editing his story. He would read through a section, cross out and re-write something, and silently read it back to himself.

He continued for a little while until he was satisfied with his progress. He then set aside his work, as he brought a box out from his desk and opened it with great care. He lifted a long, brown cigar out of the box, and put it under his nose, he inhaled its aroma and enjoyed its scent before placing back in the box and inside his desk.

Rarity then noticed Cherilee as she came home, alone. Rarity hoped that Cherilee staying out so late meant that she’d been on a date, but it didn’t seem that was the plan for the night. Instead Cherilee heated up presumably leftovers, and spent her evening grading papers. Which turned out to be rather uneventful.

After a few more rather ordinary hours, the violist came home. She made her way over to her case and with incredible care picked up her most prized possession. She practiced again for about an hour before she set her violin aside, satisfied with herself.

She sat in front of her makeup mirror and brushed her mane until it looked perfect. She then reached in front of picture frame, which Rarity couldn’t make out, and grabbed a pink bowtie. She put it on in front of the mirror, and made sure it was straight. She looked over herself one more time to make sure she looked good, she looked perfect, the type of simple elegance Rarity wish she herself could pull off.

She then grabbed her violin and made her way out the door, she walked out of that door with the same elegance and grace that she was sure to walk out onto that stage with, in just a little while. ‘You’ll knock ‘em dead.’ Rarity assured her.

After a while Rarity checked in on the blue pegasus from last night. She sat alone reading a book, which took up a bulk of her evening. She noticed as the door slowly opened, as she felt her own heart as it began to race. The stallion came home and was quiet for the better half of a minute before yelling and berating his wife for something. It went on for several minutes, and Rarity found herself silently begging the stallion to just give up and sleep on the couch. With her heart now racing, she was sure he was about to strike at any moment. After a few more tense filled moments he and his wife parted, with her taking the master bedroom, and him taking the couch.

Rarity began to take great breaths of relief, when she noticed him getting up and making his way to the bedroom. Rarity noticed the camera on her nightstand and made her way over to retrieve it, ‘if that bastard tries anything I’ll be able to capture it.’

Rarity struggled but managed to quickly make it over to her nightstand and grabbed her camera. She made it back over to the window and saw nothing. The curtains in the bedroom were drawn shut; she could’ve sworn they were open a minute ago. She sat there and waited, her camera pointed at the apartment across from her, as her heart continued beating as hard as if she’d just finished a marathon.

She continued to wait for several hours for anything. Any sign that he’d done something to his wife, with her camera drawn to her eye. After a while she began to doze off only to quickly wake up and refocus on the bedroom, where she could do nothing but stare at the closed and darkened curtains. She passed out after several hours in her wheelchair with her camera in her lap, with the last thought running through her head being ‘I hope she’s alright.’