• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 1,557 Views, 53 Comments

Through Her Lens - SandyShores



After breaking her leg, Rarity finds interest in watching ponies whose lives she finds rather addicting, however things take a dark turn when she fears she watched a stallion murder his wife.

  • ...
0
 53
 1,557

Little White Lie


Rarity’s now lunch sat untouched for the last hour between the two as they sat and seriously discussed the possibility of a murder. The air turned dense as Rarity’s one time wine-induced fantasy suddenly became so heavy handed and unexpected that the two found themselves without any clue of what to do next.

“So should we go to the police Rarity?”

“No no, we can’t.” She sighed. “We couldn’t possibly convince them that someone’s a murderer, because of a little arguing and some lie.”

“But, you yourself said that it wasn’t just yelling, it was pure terror on that wife a’ his.”

“Yes, but then it’ll just be our word against his. We can’t possibly expect anyone to take us seriously until we have some proof against him.”

“Darn it, we can’t even be sure that she isn’t at the hospital.”

The two considered if they were blowing the whole thing out of proportion. Were they really about to accuse a stallion of murdering his wife without any evidence. For all they knew she could be fine, they didn't even have a body, let alone no real evidence of any real abuse. They needed to come up with some plan in order to prove that not only was the stallion lying, but they needed to prove that the pegasus was gone.

Rarity wheeled herself over to the window and looked over at their house for any ideas. Suddenly she knew exactly how to remedy their uncertainty. “Okay how about this, before we go throw ourselves into this whole thing, we have to make sure that he really did lie about where she is now.”

“And what do you suppose we do about that?”

“I think you should pay Ms Pegasus a surprise visit in the hospital, that is if she is even admitted there.”

“Great plan, but how am I supposed to ask for her. I can’t very much just ask for the blue pegasus, wait can I?”

Rarity gritted her teeth. “Shoot… no you can’t. Even if they did allow you any records on a pony without any personal information on them, which they won’t. You couldn’t be sure on any blue pegasus that may or may not be her.”

“Huh?” Applejack didn’t quite understand.

“Imagine that they say ‘yes there are five blue pegasi here’ the only way you’d be able to know if she was one of them, is to check every blue pegaus, which again they wouldn’t allow you to do anyway. No, what we really need is a name.”

“Right, that way we can be certain that she really is there or not, but how do we find out her name?”

Rarity scratched her chin, and then her arm, and then her leg got itchy as she looked out the window again. After appearing to come across an idea, she wheeled over and retrieved her camera and looked through it at the house.

“Applejack dear what time is it?”

“Well I’d say it’s about three maybe four o’ clock.”

Rarity continued peering at the house, focusing on something Applejack couldn’t see. “Could you please hand me that notepad and a pencil.”

Applejack handed the notepad and pencil as Rarity began scribbling down something before tearing off the sheet and handing it over to Applejack.

“243 M. Street?” Applejack read off the note. “An address, Rarity what good does an address do me at the hospital.”

“None of coarse.” Rarity admitted as she returned her camera. “But you said it’s at latest four, that means the library doesn’t close for another hour. So you are to make your way over to the library and do as much digging as you can on that address and who lives there, get every piece of dirt you can. The library is safest, because Twilight won’t refuse you any information. Then make your way over to the hospital and see if our ‘patient’ is even there.”

Applejack looked at the address and then back at her friend. “Rarity how the heck did you come up with all that?”

“I read a lot of murder mysteries in my spare time.” She wheeled over to a book on her bed. “and seriously Applejack, Daring Do and the Quest for the Golden Horseshoe. The font size alone on these books must be at least sixteen…SIXTEEN!”

“Well alright I guess I’ll make my way out now, see ya in a bit.”

“Sounds good, I’ll be stay here and watch to see if our stallion comes home.” She began to focus out he window again. “Oh and Applejack, don’t tell Twilight anything, I have a feeling our friend might disappear into thin air if he hears a princess is onto him.”

Earlier they questioned whether it was in fact a good idea to keep Twilight and the others out of the loop, but they agreed that none of their friends were subtle, and feared they’d lose him if he caught wind of them. Besides accusing somepony of murder is not something you cite on a hunch, no matter much you think it may be true.

Applejack left and Rarity continued watching the window. She began to wonder what’d happen if he did turn out to be a murderer and how much evidence they would need against him. When suddenly Rarity watched as he came home.

He opened the door to his house when Rarity noticed he was carrying bags, like shopping bags. He made his way in a placed the bags on the floor as he made his way to the other room.

Rarity wanted to know what was in those bags, a saw or maybe a shovel. She wheeled herself over and grabbed her camera; she rested it on her leg and zoomed in to see what he bought. She couldn’t quite make it out as he had his items in a large brown paper bag, frustrated she moved the camera over to see what he up to.

She watched as he made his way into the bedroom. Rarity shocked to see the curtains finally open, looked intensely into the bedroom to see if she was maybe still in bed. But it was clear from the perfectly made bed that no pony was sleeping in it.

He sat down on the bed and reached for a small jewelry box. He opened it and took out a few rings and necklaces. He examined them all as if looking for some sentimental value, but found none. He set the jewelry aside and opened a few drawers. Then he looked under the bed and behind some furniture as if one piece was missing.

He spent next few minutes looking for the lost piece before he gave up. He grabbed the box and walked back over into the kitchen, where he placed the box on the table. Then he finally took the shopping bag and placed it on the floor while he took out several items and put them on the table.

Nothing too unusual, she watched as he took out a few cans of soup, a gallon of milk, a newspaper and a can of paint. He put his stuff on the table and went to throw away the bag before realizing he forgot something in bag, he reached in one last time and pulled out a utility knife. Rarity gasped and took a photo. ‘Why did he buy a knife?’

He looked at what he bought and must’ve realized he forgot something, because next thing Rarity knew, he made his way out of the house once again.




After about another half hour, Rarity watched as Applejack made her way back into her shop.

“Well what did you find?”

Applejack walked closer to Rarity. “His name is Buck, and her name is, well was Violet Rose. They’ve been together for the last ten years.”

“and did you make your way over to the hospital?”

“Okay, of coarse she isn’t there, and she hasn’t been there In a while.”

“What do you mean ‘in a while’?”

Applejack took out a piece of paper and handed to Rarity, she opened it and saw it noted every time she’d been to the hospital. “I was able to swipe that at the hospital when nopony was looking.”

Rarity looked over the sheet of Medical history for Violet Rose.

• Name Violet Rose.
• Admitted 9 pm, Walked into door.
• Several facial lacerations.
• Prescribed 200mg painkillers and bandaged.


• Name Violet Rose.
• Admitted 11:30pm, Fell down the stairs.
• Few bruises on foreleg, Minor lacerations to eye area.
• Cleaned and bandaged, Prescribed 115mg Painkillers.


• Name Violet Rose.
• Admitted 1:30pm,Fell off moving cart.
• Broken leg.
• Leg put in medium cast, Prescribed 250mg Painkillers.


“Well what are we waiting for, can’t we go to the police with this Applejack?” She looked over the sheet again scrutinizing it for any flaws. “What’s wrong dear, this is it this is what we needed…right?”

“Well when I was at the library, and I asked Twi for any thing about her once I knew her name, Twilight found a records book on anypony who filed for immediate departue from town and, well here.” She handed another sheet to Rarity who looked it over. She read through several names on the list before she came to the one she recognized.


• Name- Violet Rose.
• Seating –Coach, 12 Bits.
• Departure -12:15pm Ponyville.
• Arrival -6:30pm Fillydelphia.

Rarity picked up her head and looked at Applejack.

Applejack bit her lip. “It sure does seem that she left the day after she was lying in bed sick.”

“But..but …no what if…well how about…it just doesn’t make sense Applejack.”

“Sugar think about it, apparently he hurt her a few times, and if’n they were arguing she might have just called it quits and left for Fillydelphia. It does make sense right, and it’d give him a reason to lie about her being in the hospital. He didn’t want anyone to know she left him.”

“But no, wait she left her jewelry at home.” She grabbed her camera and showed Applejack. “Now you tell me, if she left why wouldn’t she take her jewelry with her?”

“Well okay I guess you got a point nopony would ever leave her wedding ring home, no matter where she goes.”

“Actually I didn’t see a wedding ring. But she’d never leave any of her other jewelry home would she?”

“I dunno Rarity, she probably left that stuff there, the most important thing to a mare is her wedding ring, and she probably took that with her ta Fillydelphia.”

"So is this it?"

"I dunno Rarity, what else can we do?"

"Well why don’t we go to Fillydelphia and make sure she's really there?"

"Are you crazy? First of all, we wouldn't go, I'd go. And secondly I can't be away from the farm for that long."

"Dangit Applejack. So we’re just going to let him get away?"

Just then the two noticed as the stallion, now identified as Buck, came home. He put the shopping bag on the table and made took out a few paintbrushes and bleach.

Rarity looked over to her friend. "So Applejack any reason why he might have bleach, hmm?"

"I'll admit I'm not sure what ta think anymore. It seems like he's up ta something. But we can't prove anythi..."

"Shh, look." She directed her friend. The stallion walked over to his window and closed the blinds, but from the view of high window of Rarity's Boutique they were easily able to still see through the blinds and much of the view.

Buck reached for a trunk and unlocked it. Then he took a something wrapped tightly in paper bag. He brought it over to kitchen's sink and began to unwrap it.

Rarity and Applejack watched in horror as he took out what looked like a hack saw and began pouring bleach onto it and scrubbing it in the sink.

The two were so shocked to get a view of something so crucial.

"Well AJ. Do you think that’s enough proof?"