• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 2,100 Views, 19 Comments

The Dark and Light Within - mdonnelly



A human awakens in Ponyville and reveals dark mysteries of murder, crime and death.

  • ...
1
 19
 2,100

Food For Thought

Jason woke up the next morning in a daze. He noticed he was in the same room where he saw the talking pony. He took the bandages off his head.

“Ok…So that definitely wasn’t a dream.” Jason said getting up and wandering to the door.

The hallway was empty. At one end there is a window and at the other there is a flight of stairs. The window had no light shining through it. Jason walking to the stairs and sees they reach down to a room. Walking down the stairs he hears arguing.

“Applejack, we don’t even know what that is!”

“No, but it needed our help Big Mac!” shouted Applejack “I ain’t gonna ignore somethin that needs my help!"

Jason is at the base of the stairs at this point. The two arguing ponies turn to notice him. The two ponies took a step back at the sight of his eyes.

“Hey, am I disrupting something?”

“No, its nothin. Right Big Mac?” Applejack answered unsurely glancing at her brother.

“Eyeup.” Big Mac responded walking up the stairs.

“So…sleep well?” Applejack asking Jason “How’s ya head?”

“It’s fine. Anyway do you mind if I go out?”

“Why do you want to go out?” Applejack nervously questioned him.

“Just for a walk and some fresh air.” Jason answered to the question, trying not to alarm her.

“Ok then, just stay near the farm.” She said walking into a different room.

Jason noticed his jacket was on a hanger near the door leading outside. He started checking the pockets unsure if anything was taken. He felt the gun and badge in the jacket pockets, along with something else. What he pulled out was a plane ticket to the Bahamas with the date 1/9/2012. He put on his jacket and left the house. A dirt path leads him to the exit of the farm. The sign above it read Sweet Apple Acers.

“Well that sure stands out. A real shame if I can’t find this place.” he said to himself as he followed the path leading from the farm.

He kept walking down the dirt path next to the farm.

“Jeez, how big is this place?”

Finally he reached the edge of the farm seeing a hill blocking his view. Jason turned to see the path he came from stretching for a mile, unable to see the entrance to the farm. Proceeding up the hill, he saw a small village with a well in the center.

“Well now. There’s the well, but I don’t see that pony.” Jason said to himself walking towards the village.

The village got bigger with every step. The buildings radiated exuberant colors. The buildings appear lavish, yet humble. Jason found his way to the well and began scanning the area. The sun is still not up and there is no life within the village.

“Hello.” a voice came from behind Jason.

Jason swung around to see the same brown pony from the night before.

“I’m the doctor.” continued the pony.

“…Hi…I’m…Jason.” he said hesitating.

“Tell me where do you hail from?”

“…Um…excuse me?” Jason asking confused.

“Where do you come from?”

“New York. Why?” asking puzzled.

“Really? I probably should have noticed your accent. What time period though?” the Doctor asking intrigued.

“Umm…I think January ninth two-thousand and twelve.”

“Gee…” the Doctor gave him a concerned look “Do you know how you got here?”

“No.”

“Well…I can try to get you back home, come with me.”

The pony started heading towards an odd phone booth. As he stepped inside, Jason began to follow. The inside is much bigger than the outside and is filled with all sorts of futuristic technology. Jason, stepping into the room, looked around in awe.

“Hey Doc, I think this is a paradox.” Jason said.

“He he…yea I know. You like it?” the Doctor responded, throwing down a switch.

“Its amaz-” Jason said staring to speak, but got cut off.

“We’re here! Good luck with that election!” shouted the doctor, pushing Jason out.

“What?”

“We’re in New York, January ninth two-thousand and twelve.”

The Doctor pushed Jason out of the phone booth only to reveal they were still in the village. Jason, being pushed, tripped on the corner of the doorway. The doctor began to glare at the machine.

“Bloody machine! You were working a minute ago!” the Doctor yelled, angrily kicking the side of the phone booth “Are you alright?”

Jason was slow to lift his head as a thought appeared in his mind.

“I remember!” he said getting up.

“What?”

“I was looking for something.” Jason said thinking.

“What was it?” asked the doctor becoming intrigued.

“I…I don’t know.” Jason answered banging his head on the machine.

“Alright then, I’m going to work on this. In the meantime you should get back to that house before everybody, I mean “pony,” wakes up.”

“Um…sure. Wait! What do I do in the meantime?”

“I don’t know! Go and try to remember how you got here or something!” the Doctor shouted trying to shoo Jason away.

The sun was beginning to rise as Jason began the long walk to the farm. He was lucky enough to leave when he did, because the ponies in the village were staring to rustle. Jason reached to top of the hill to see Big Macintosh waiting for him.

“Good thing ya left when ya did.” he said to Jason.

“Yea, they would have all been panicking at the sight of me.”
“Come on.”

Big Mac turned leading Jason back to the farm house. During the walk tension slowly began to grow.

“What were ya doin?” Big Mac demanded to know.

“What do you mean?”

Big Mac stopped and glared at Jason.

“Don’t play dumb! Ya were talkin to that doctor bout somethin!” Big Mac yelled.

“It was nothing.” Jason said as he kept walking.

“Nutin! It didn’t look like nutin!” Big Mac proceeded to yell.

Jason stopped in his tracks and swung around.

“Fine, he was offering me a way home!” Jason finally yelled back.

“And ya just left?”
“It wasn’t working, ok?” Jason yelled “Don’t you think I would have jumped at the opportunity to go…” Jason’s voice died out as he looked to the ground.

“Ta go where? Yer’ home?” Big Mac asked puzzled.

Jason turned and stared to walk to the entrance of Sweet Apple Acers. Big Mac followed waiting for an answer. They walked all the way to the door, and then Jason stopped. He gave a blank, sad stare to the pony.
“It’s not a home; it’s just a house with a history.” Jason said, trying to swallow his sadness.

The two entered the house, not saying a word after Jason’s answer. Jason went straight to the room he woke up in. Big Mac sat in the chair at the table staring at the checkered cloth on it.