• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 2,100 Views, 19 Comments

The Dark and Light Within - mdonnelly



A human awakens in Ponyville and reveals dark mysteries of murder, crime and death.

  • ...
1
 19
 2,100

A Rude Awakening

Jason began to open his eyes as he heard the sound of children approaching. The sun is blinding, much stronger than he had ever seen before. It was as if the sky itself was ecstatic. He felt grass and dirt beneath him. The fertility was obviously different, the smell and feel, disorienting his senses. The sound became words as Jason began to slip away.

“What should we try today?” asked a young girl.

“Hey let’s try to get our marks by-” another girl began, but was cut off.

“What do ya suppose that is?” asked young country sounding girl.

Pain shot into the back of his head. Everything went dark and the voices disappeared. All there was; was darkness. He wondered to himself, what happened? The numbers six-twenty is all he could think of. Images began to form in his mind. He saw himself from two days ago in his room. He suddenly shot up from the bed as the alarm rang out.

“AH!”

He looked towards the clock, trying to catch is breath as sweat dripped from his face. Outside the window the sun was setting.

“Ugh…six-thirty!” hitting the alarm off.

He fell back into the pillow.
“Sigh…another ten minutes of sleep; that makes one hour this week and I’m late for work! Ugh…just great! Just freaken great!”

Jason got up the exact same way he always did, shower and brush his teeth. Pausingto look at himself in the mirror. His green, bloodshot eyes stared back at him, as if piercing into his very own soul. Underneath his eyes; patches, exaggerating the exhaustion in his face. His black hair sits messily on his head. It looks slightly dirty, even when washed.

The facial hair obviously shows he hadn’t shaved for a while. On the chin and cheeks, there is a thin layer of hair, not long to be a beard, but adding a few years to his appearance. Only a small amount of hair is on his upper lip, but nowhere near long enough ether to be a mustache. His appearance seems poorly maintained, rugged and dirty looking.

He shifted is eyes away from his reflection, putting down the toothbrush. He let out a sigh as if in thought. Then he proceeded out to the dresser and put on a t-shirt, jeans, black sneakers and a black hoodie. Upon exiting the room, he took with him his wallet, keys and gun.

Jason’s senses brought him back to the current situation. He started hearing the voices of young girls again.

“What is it?” asked one of the voices.

“Why is the grass at its head red?” asked another.

“I dun no, but I’m goanna go and get my sister; she’ll know what to do.” responded the country voice.

He could not talk to them or even move for that matter. He could onlylay there, listening before he faded away again. Pain shot through his head and his ears rang out, awakening him.

“It’s over her!” yelled the young country voice.

“Now what in tar nation are ya'll runnin and hollerin about?” yelled back an older country voice. “Wha-what is that?” Shock filled the voice, “It’s bleedin! G-go get your brother!”

The young country voice shouted something as it ran away, but it became impossible to understand. Pain shot through the back of his head and he slipped away once more. Pressure was felt at the back of his head again. As he opened his eyes, his vision became blurry and voices floated around him.

“Alrighty there! That should stop the bleedin for a little while.”

The figure gained focus of a few seconds. It had golden hair and a cowboy hat. The voice was distinct,easily recognizable.

“Applejack! I found Big Mac, he was in the cellar!”

“Good job findin him Apple Bloom.”

“Big Mac! Would help me bring him inside? I gotta hold his head.”

“Eeyup”

Jason felt his body movie and the pressure on the back of his head increased. The world around him shifted. There were green and brown blurs with red dots passing by. The body underneath him was some shade of red and to him seemed oddly shaped, for a human. Three small figures bolted ahead towards a big red house.

“Don’t worry; ya’ll goanna be alri-” the distinct voice faded away as Jason sight became fuzzy again.

Pain shot through Jason’s head once more making him close his eyes. His eyes open to discover he is in a simple room with only a bed, a closet and a mirror. Jason gets up wobbling, trying to keep his balance. Out the window there are miles of apple trees.

“Ok…I might still be somewhere in New York…maybe?” he turned to the mirror, “What happened to me?”

He noticed his head was wrapped in bandages. The door suddenly opened and Jason jumped at what he saw; an orange pony with a familiar golden mane and cowboy hat walked into the room. It was carrying a bucket of water in its mouth. The pony put down the bucket on a chair hidden at the end of the bed. She paused seeing his piercing green eyes.

“Uh…nice to see you’re awake.” It said smiling in that distinct voice.

“Holy shi-y...you can talk!” Jason stepped back covering his mouth.

“Uh…um…yea...but…I didn’t expect you to talk either…”

“Then why did you talk to me like I could?”

“I was bein nice and sayin hello!

“…good point…”

They gave each other an awkward glance as silence filled the room. The silence lasted for a few minutes until Jason broke it.

“I’m sorry about that, my name is Jason Stanford.”

“It’s alright, my name’s Applejack. What happened, I mean, how did ya get here and all that.” She said pointing at the bandages.

“I wish I knew.”Jason thought for a second.

“Hey Applejack we found some more bandages!” yelling out a young voice as three small ponies ran in.

“Hey! It’s up!” yelled a small orange filly with a fuchsia mane.

“Really?” asked the secondfilly, which was white with a light pink mane.

“Hey can it talk, my name is Apple Bloom. Can you say that?” inquired a pale yellow filly with a rose mane.

“Yea, my name is Sweetie Belle. Say that!” bursted out the white filly.

“No! Say Scootaloo first!” commanded the orange filly.

“Now ya’ll settle down! Let him rest a bit before he has ta deal with your nonsense!” Applejack barked pushing them out of the room. “I’m sorry about that.”

“Its alrigh-” Jason got dizzy and began to stumble towards the bed.

“Hey! You ok?” Applejack asked. “Just sit down and wait till the doctor gets here.”

“Um…ok.”

Jason crawled into the bed and Applejack undid the bandages he had on. She cleaned the wound with the water from the bucket. After she finished that, she rebadged his head.

“You’re pretty lucky.”

“Why?”

“The cut ain’t as bad as I thought. Anyway, can you remember anythang?”

“Um…no…well maybe-” the door opens disrupting Jason’s unsure answer.

Walking in is a brown pony with an hourglass on his hip.

“Hello, I’m the Doctor.” he said walking over to the side of the bed.

He took out a flashlight and shined it in Jason’s eyes. He then put it away, but discreetly slipped something into Jason’s hand. After that he began to leave.

“Ok, your fine. Just get some sleep.” the pony closed the door behind him.

Jason looked dumbfounded at Applejack.

“What was that?”

“Err… I think…it was..the Doctor?” not knowing what exactly happened herself.

“Anyhow, I’m gonna let ya rest. You could stay here for as long as you need.”

“Umm…thanks, but I don’t want to intrude.”

“It ain’t a problem! The Apple family is always willin to help any pony in need.”

As soon as Applejack left the room, Jason took a look at the note before going to sleep. It read;

Tomorrow meet me by the well in the center of town. We need to talk. It’s about how you got here. The Doctor.