• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 2,075 Views, 99 Comments

Revelations: Twilight to Darkness - GhostofSandwich



It's been so long since Twilight entered the plane called the Dark Void. Even though time does not pass for her, she can only assume it's been five years. But lately, she's been having dreams; a glimmer of hope in that dark nothing...

  • ...
10
 99
 2,075

Both Sides of the Story

Twilight sighed to herself as he placed her hoof on the door. She held no feeling through her entire body and was only aware of it because she could see it in a mirror. Yet, somehow, the door felt warm and seemed to pull her closer.

She didn’t want to die; nopony did. It wasn’t death that she was afraid of; it was leaving everything she knew behind. Her mother, father, brother, friends… Celestia. Everypony she loved would never see her again; never know that she fought so hard to make it back to them. They would never know that she carried out her promise to the end, never fulfilling it.

The door beckoned as if it was a living figure. She could hear her mind being filled with the sounds of happy laughing and the voices of her friends. They were right on the other side; they were waiting for her.

They weren’t real; she knew that all too well. She always wondered what the afterlife was like, but she always assumed it was a place where she was free to do what she wanted for the rest of eternity; her own little slice of never-ending nirvana. They weren’t real, but they were there; they were her friends, even if they were the friends she had created in her mind. They were all she needed.

She smiled and pushed lightly on the door. It wasn’t enough to open it, not yet. She wanted to be entirely sure this was the choice she wanted to make. If she opened that door, she’d be accepting death, accepting that she had given up. But if she didn’t, what would be the repercussions? Would she be stuck in limbo forever, forced to never see anypony again? She didn’t want to give up, but she didn’t want to be alone anymore.

“You always…” a voice echoed from the walls. Twilight gasped and stepped away from the door as she heard it. Normally, she wouldn’t have paid the voice any mind; she was after all knocking on death’s door. But that voice… it seemed real. She knew in the deepest crevices of her mind that it was real.

“…made me proud,” Twilight finished. She stared at the door, wondering how she could have so easily given up. Nopony had given up on her; she would never give up on them. She didn’t care if she had to traverse a million dark voids; she would make it out of there and back to her friends. Turning away from the door, she smiled and whispered, “I’m coming home.”


“Celestia, you did the right thing,” Mystia said, staring at Celestia with a smile. “Together, us three will rid the world of evil.”

“You used me,” Celestia sorrowfully said. “I took you in, made sure you had a good home and you used me.”

“Yes, I did. Do I regret it? No. I’ll admit, at first it was nice; I thought I might actually have a chance to live a normal life. But then the nightmares began…”

“Why didn’t you say anything? Luna and I, we could have-“

“Helped me? Protected me from my nightmares? You should know better than anypony, the nightmares never stop. Even after you wake up, they’ll still be there, eating away at your sanity and emotional state. You play it off like you’ll be fine, but you never are. We both suffered badly, but the difference between us is that I’m brave enough to do something about it,” Mystia pointed out.

“Brave? No, Mystia, you’re a coward. Sure, the bad things in life haunt us, but what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. You should have taken what happened, no matter how bad, and lived with it. I’ve suffered so many deaths through my long-lived life, but did I ever go to such extreme lengths to get them back? No, I-“

“And what about dear little old me, hmm? Did you not sacrifice Twilight, your supposed favorite student, to save me? Did you not go to extreme lengths to bring me back to you? Face it Celestia, we’re the one and the same,” Mystia argued. The two maintained angered eye contact with one another from across the room. As if feeding off the anger, Twilight, or rather her host, simply looked between the two with great interest.

“Isn’t fate cruel?” He asked, stepping between the two, wobbling slightly as he continued to adjust to the shortened stature of Twilight compared to his male form. “Two souls corrupted with misery and regret, yet they both hold on dearly to ideals they hold. One gave in to a greater power to relive herself of the pain and punish those responsible; the other let it fester within her fragile mind, rotting away at her mental state.”

“What do you know about fate?” Celestia asked, anger in her eyes.

“What do any of us know about fate?” he responded, his smile dropping to a frown. “None of us know what bindings destiny holds on our hearts, nor do we intend to follow the path carved out for us. Every living thing is the same in this concept; all of us are prisoners to fate. Two students, one mentor… you’d think it would have a happy ending, but that is rarely the truth. I once had my own student, you know.”

“You did?” Celestia asked, more shocked than anything. Naturally, she could care less what the possessor had to say, but she couldn’t deny her curiosity either.

“Yes. Back in my time, taking an apprentice was unheard of. It happened rarely, but never on a major level. But I saw promise in the young mare and I believed she would rise to greatness. Unfortunately, I never got to see if that belief would become a reality.”

“Let me guess; you killed her?” Celestia asked, her focus now completely on the stallion inhabiting Twilight’s body. Mystia simply sat in the background absorbing the words between the two immortals.

“I’d never do such a cruel thing. She meant the world to me,” he solemnly admitted. “She had only been my student for a short year, when…” he trailed off, tears filling his, or rather, Twilight’s, eyes. “There was a riot in the town of Moonlight Grotto; she was there for a visit. It was the last time I ever saw her.”

“Better she die than live under your hoof,” Celestia snapped, taking the stallion by surprise.

“You think I don’t know that? I single-hoofedly razed Equestria to the ground in revenge; she never would have wanted that. I had a moment of weakness, so I killed… no, I tried to end it all, but something went wrong. After that, I meditated on what it was I had done while trapped in the void. At first I was depressed, not angry. But as time went on and years turned to centuries, hatred festered inside and boiled to a brim. Surely you’ve felt the same anger, have you not?”

“I…” Celestia started. She didn’t want to admit it, but she had before, on many occasions, lost her temper. “I have.”

“You’ve felt that anger towards the world for things that happened to you. Yet, somehow, you remained strong and never acted on that anger. I’m not evil; I’m weak. There’s a difference,” he explained, sadness still his sole tone.

“Then give up; let Twilight come back to our world.”

“I want you to listen to me carefully. You too, Celestia. My intention was never to come back to this world so that I may take it over, or to destroy evil. I know when I awoke I did sound rather, well, evil. But that was just the hatred left over from the void. There’s nothing left now. No, I came back because...” he trailed off, his eyes sinking to the floor. Mystia seemed absolutely horrified at her chance at revenge showing such a soft side. She had imagined he’d been stronger, more ferocious. As she looked at Twilight, she could see that the stallion inside wasn’t at all he was cracked out to be.

“Then why take over Twilight? Bring her back, now,” Celestia commanded, hoping to take advantage of his weakness.

“I can’t. I mean, I can, but then I’d have no chance of ever escaping the void. You see, I took over this body for one reason; to escape the void. I never told you who that bloodline belonged to, the one of which Twilight belongs to, did I? Right before I ‘died’, after destroying Equestria, I learned that my student had indeed survived. I told the truth when I said I never saw her again, but right before I entered the fire, I felt her magic. The void is her creation, a magical realm to punish me for what I’d done.”

“Everything that you went through, Mystia, everything that Twilight went through were memories that my student suffered after I destroyed Equestria. She knew of my love for her and punished me by making me see the world I created. The thorn field with the shed. That was where she treated her wounds from my terror. The cavern of hope where she gave birth to a beautiful daughter. The white room was her own void as she passed on from the world.”

“But I thought that you-“ Mystia started.

“That I created the void? No, I was never strong enough for that type of magic. But she was. I took the credit of creating the void to spare myself sorrow. It was her all along, your very own ancestor. In time her daughter carved out a civilization after finding a small group of survivors that had blocked history from their minds. Using the gift of magic that her bloodline carried, she raised the sun and moon. By the end of her lifetime she was considered a god amongst mortals. I don’t know anything after that, but by the state of modern Equestria, I can tell she succeeded in rebuilding what I destroyed,” he continued.

“The first civilization… Twilight’s a descendant of the great ruler?” Celestia asked. “I knew there was something special about her, but…”

“I’m afraid I let my anger at the student I loved cause me to hurt her ancestors. Fate works in mysterious ways doesn’t it?” he asked, repeating himself. “I can’t help but wonder if she foresaw this all of this. Maybe she was able to see further down the track of destiny than any of us could.”

“No,” Mystia interrupted, stepping forward angrily. “What are you, bipolar? I sacrificed a thousand years of my life to save you from that stupid void, and this is what I get? A pansy, emotionally ruined weakling that had bouts of anger? What happened to that pep you held the moment you woke from the coma?”

“Think of it this way, young Mystia,” he started. “Have you ever had a nightmare or dream where you injured yourself and you could still feel the pain after you woke? Ever had a nightmare that was so horrifying that you still were scared when you opened your eyes? I was the same way. The void not only trapped my physical mind, it trapped my emotions as well. Since the moment I was put into that void, I could feel only anger. Now that I’m awake, the nightmare is over. All I can think about is everything that happened and that I did. It would be best if you forgive the world before you make the same mistake I did.”

“Dammit, I won’t let this happen! I’ll make the world pay for what it did; I’ll destroy this wretched world if it’s the last thing I do. If you won’t help me, then I’ll do it myself. Even if you won’t help me, I still can make use of you,” Mystia angrily shouted before charging at Twilight. Despite what she thought he would do, he made no attempt to fight back.

“Mystia, stop this!” Celestia screamed. She quickly stepped forward and trapped Mystia in a force field. “I won’t stand by and let you screw everything up again. Besides, you never held the power anypony else in your family did. You were the black sheep of Twilight’s bloodline.”

“I may not be as powerful as the rest of my bloodline, but I learned a trick in the void. If I had known he would be so weak, I’d had just done it while in there and left,” she said. Celestia’s eyes went wide as Mystia teleported out of the magic bubble and hastily made her way to Twilight. The two stared at one another for a split moment. He closed his eyes and nodded slowly as Mystia touched her horn to his forehead.

Celestia watched in horror as the two floated into the air, their manes flowing freely in the wind. A bright blue aura began to surround the two, gradually growing thicker until it was nothing but a neon blue ball floating in the sky. After a minute suspended in the air, the ball instantly dissipated and the two fell hard to the ground. Celestia wasted no time in using the best of her magic to trap Mystia in a super –force-field.

“That won’t do any good,” Mystia said with a cocky grin as she stood. “I now know every spell that Twilight knows.” Ready to demonstrate her new powers, Mystia teleported from the force-field with ease and walked slowly up to Celestia. “I know you hate to admit it, but Twilight surpassed you magic wise years ago. If she were to ever disagree with you, she’d destroy you and your sister in mere seconds. And now that power belongs to me.” With little effort, Mystia easily released a ball of energy from her horn that flew quicker than Celestia could dodge. Hitting her in the middle of the chest, Celestia fell back with a groan.

“H-how?” she asked, her magic completely disabled.

“You needn’t worry on the how, Celestia. All you need to know is that you failed to protect your beautiful Equestria. I wish I would have taken this route sooner, but I suppose a thousand years isn’t that long. But look at it this way: you’ll finally be freed from the world. With a slight cast of my magic you will leave the mortal world. You can finally be happy.”

“Then do it. Twilight’s gone. You aren’t who I thought you were. What point is there to keep living if I have to do it alone? Kill me,” Celestia pleaded. “Just end my pain right now, please!” Celestia slowly rolled over and began to cry uncontrollable. “Let me pain come to an end. Do it!”

“So, you finally broke? I never thought I’d see the day. I wish I could keep you alive long enough for you to see your world burn, but I’m not stupid. The moment I left you’d start devising a plan like you always do.”

“I’m just happy that Twilight never got to see what you’ve become,” Celestia sobbed.

“Goodbye, Celestia.” Mystia smiled as she began to charge her magic. Celestia closed her eyes and waited for the inevitable. Celestia forced herself to stop crying as she waited for her execution. If she was going to die, she wasn’t going to die with sadness. Using her final moments, she thought about the happy times with Twilight. Celestia smiled. The last thing she heard was the sound of magic being cast.

Everything went white.

Author's Note:

Alright, so for those of you that got a chance to read the previous chapters before I took them down and revised them, you'll notice immediately that this is straying fifteen miles off the course away from the path it originally took. Why, you ask? Because I got tired of following guidelines I'd set for myself. In the original dark void up until the semi-final chapter, everything was written in continuation with no strict plot except for "Twilight's in a coma; have some feels." And well, look how well that went? A sequel happened didn't it.

That said, I've tossed out the script (save for my original ending, however. I'm still moving toward that ending with the dedication of a Indiana Jones slug being chased by a ball of salt). Also, don't think I'm done with the plot twists yet either. I've got more of these things piled up inside of my brain that M. Night Shymallamalabamaman (not the way you spell it, but close enough. Maybe that was enough to offset any feels that might have been received).

Wouldn't I just be a stinker if I closed the story now and announced a sequel starring Celestia? Twilight's dead, people, it's about sunbutt now.

Note: One last thing. I'm looking for an editor that is capable of fixing my annoying grammatical errors that are a result of late-night monster/red bull fueled writing sessions. I'd check one of the groups that offer editor help, but I just don't have the time with internet to do so. If anybody is interested, just leave a comment below or PM me. All help will be paid in appreciation, plus the ability to see the chapters before everyone else, if that even means anything.