• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 2,071 Views, 99 Comments

Revelations: Twilight to Darkness - GhostofSandwich



It's been so long since Twilight entered the plane called the Dark Void. Even though time does not pass for her, she can only assume it's been five years. But lately, she's been having dreams; a glimmer of hope in that dark nothing...

  • ...
10
 99
 2,071

Awakening

“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.”

Friedrich Nietzsche


Twilight opened her eyes slowly to the same sight she'd been seeing for so long: the sight of the Dark Void outside of her window. Every waking moment, she'd try and imagine that it was her home outside that window, the town of Ponyville. Sadly, no amount of wishing could ever grant her that.

She'd constantly thought of attempting to teleport herself from the realm, but her magic never recovered after sending Mystia back. Still, never once did she regret her choice. There was a lesson she learned at a young age: sacrifice brings better outcomes than being selfish.

No longer did she hear the voices of ponies from out in the real world speak to her. No doubt they feared she was permanently gone. Even if they ever came back, she wouldn't blame them. Even if their presence was comforting, she didn't want them being sad for her, or for themselves. Best they just move on and forget about her...

"Good morning, Spike..." Saying that had become a habit of hers. Even thought her tiny assistant was not ever in his bed, she liked to think that maybe, just somehow, he could hear her each morning as he woke from his dreams. Each waking hour, she couldn't help but wonder how he was...

Her hooves caused the only noise in the room as they hit the floor, echoing around the room, reminding Twilight how alone she really was. Fortunately for her, the Dark Void refilled her refrigerator with food continuously, reinforcing her idea that the Dark Void considered her half dead. At least enough to grant her the means of living.

But even with that, she was stuck in the same state Mystia had been in... Forced to live in the place that had the most meaning in her life. For Mystia, it had been the room her mother died in; the room she grew up in. For Twilight, it had been the very home that she lived in when meeting her friends, learning how to be happy.

Her home had been perfectly recreated, everything from the real world in it. Even the black book that Mystia had sent was on her reading table. She couldn't remember how many times she had read over it in hopes of finding even the slightest of hint as to the whereabouts of any sort of exit. Sadly, there was nothing but the tale of a mare who was now free from this nihility.

Despondency carved into her now fragile mind, she made her way into the kitchen. At this point she never really ate to stave hunger, but rather to give herself something to look forwards to. Fortunately, she didn't seem to be able to gain or lose weight in this place, so she still maintained her posture. Even her mane didn't grow, almost as if she had been stopped in time.

As she sat down with a sandwich, she looked at the piles of paper she had used to try and figure the amount of time she had been here. After multiple hours of work, she finally managed to discover she had been gone for about five years. It pained her to see the results; to think her friends moved on from her. But she knew it was her choice that did this, that she did this to herself to give another a chance at the life they never had.

Her thoughts returned to her dreams of the past couple of days. While most nights before had been usual dreams, her back in Ponyville, these were... Different. Never before had she dreams of the Dark Void, but yet she had been for the past couple of days. All of them were the same: her looking out her window to see the same image over and over again; a hint of brilliance breaking through cracks in the deep fog.

She thought of investigating, but she feared to leave her home. What if it dissapeared when she left? What would she do then, without any shelter? Then again, Mystia had made that mistake for so long... Maybe, just maybe, if somepony continued on, they would find more trials brought by the Dark Void. She looked at the door, then back to her sandwich. With a sigh, she dropped it to the ground and stood, looking at her front door.

"Buck it." She retreated to her room, returning a moment later with two saddlebags on either side of her. One, she filled with food and essentials to live, the other with medical supplies in case of emergency. She was going to miss the sanctuary that was her home, but she would at least be fighting to get back to her own world. After all, anything was better than sitting around doing nothing.

Even if she died trying to do something, anything.

With heavy reluctance, she opened the door slowly, allowing the fog from outside to seep in. Shivering from the cold of the fog, she stepped out onto the all to familiar black marble like floor. She closed the door behind her, taking one final look into her home. Chances were that she would not see it again until she made her way out of the Dark Void, so she took one final look and stored it permanently into her mind.

For the first time since she saved Mystia, she looked around the Dark Void. She wanted to be afraid for herself, to want to feel like running back into the house and diving under her covers for warmth. But... All she could do was smile as she looked ahead.

A small beacon of light beckoning her to continued on towards it. Knowing that she might change her mind if she stayed her hooves any longer, she began walking to the light.

"Be safe, Twilight!" She turned around at the immediate burst of sound from somewhere above her. Quickly, she turned around and looked at the second floor, where Spike was leaning out the window, smiling at the mare. Her mouth slowly opened in disbelief. She tried to call out to the dragon, but stopped. As the house and Spike began to fade, she sighed and turned back around.

"I will, Spike... See you soon."