• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 2,071 Views, 99 Comments

Revelations: Twilight to Darkness - GhostofSandwich



It's been so long since Twilight entered the plane called the Dark Void. Even though time does not pass for her, she can only assume it's been five years. But lately, she's been having dreams; a glimmer of hope in that dark nothing...

  • ...
10
 99
 2,071

Memories

Twilight could no longer feel her heartbeat. It was an odd thing to not feel; she had never even noticed that she could actually feel it until it was gone. She felt cold; her brain seemed to not even want to work.

She knew she was dying, or she was dead. There was nothing, no consciousness. The dark void was gone, the world was gone. She… was gone. She wanted to fear the thought, but she could feel nothing, no emotions at all. She wanted to feel something, even sadness. She even wanted to feel the burns on her body, but there was only nothing.

Electricity snapped all around her, lighting to darkness with momentary snaps of light. There was nothing to be seen; she was nowhere. With each electrical snap she could feel something returning to her consciousness: memories.

These memories weren’t normal, however. She felt like she was a stranger looking in, another being witnessing her cherished memories. They played through her fragmented and numb mind quicker than she thought possible, yet she was able to live through each of them with such vividness that she felt as if she was living her life once over.

She remembered her first book. It was a silly filly’s story, the kind with only three words on a page. She was only about four at the time and she’d never tried to read before. Shining Armor had offered to read it to her, but she was stubborn. It took her a week, but she learned to sound the words out and read it perfectly. That was the start of it all; she loved reading.

Her parents had been so proud of her that she taught herself how to read. From that day on they always made sure that she had a new book to read and by the age of seven she was reading at near adult levels.

Twilight felt happy. She was actually happy. The memory took her back to a time of simplicity, back to when she had no troubles. All it was back then was simple books and herself. The happiness continued even as she thought of something she didn’t want to think of; there would be no more books to simply pass the time. She felt herself wanting to be sad for the thought, but could only keep smiling.

The memory changed to the summer sun celebration she had first seen Celestia perform. It was perhaps her fondest memory. She watched with great anticipation as Celestia announced herself before performing the ceremony. Strangely, it was as if she was witnessing it again for the first time. She was in awe at the beauty; she wanted only to return to Celestia and thank her for the greatest memory of her life. There would be no more Celestia, she knew that. No more lessons, no more days spent under her wing learning about magic.

Her life continued on. The next memory was one that she forgot about a lot; it was a simple outing between her and her brother. It was shortly after Twilight had joined Celestia’s school; Shining Armor was beaming proud of her. The two went to the lake for the whole day. She smiled as she remembered the sun shining brightly. She could vividly feel the warmth on her body and the cool water on her hooves.

It was such a small memory, but the happiness held an impact on her. It was the last day that the two of them spent an entire day together. Shortly after that he began to focus more and more on his career as a royal guard. She had never realized the meaning to that outing back then, but as it played back… it was a celebration of the two growing up. They were both following a dream and had set the first wheel on the track of destiny. It would slowly pull the two apart, so they defied destiny and combined their tracks one last time.

It was nighttime before the two left. She still remembered that moon; it was the most beautiful moon she’d ever seen. She took in that memory of the moon, realizing once again that she’d never see it again. She’d never see her brother again or her parents. It was a painful thought, but she could feel only a cool happiness as the moon stained itself in her memory.

That was the last night of her childhood. She matured quickly after that. There were no more books that she read to pass the time, no more outings with her brother that lasted for more than an hour. It’s hard to remember the night when everything changed, so she often forgot it. Looking back, she wished she could relive that night over and over for eternity.

But time moves on; she had more memories to go. She grew in years, studied under Celestia. She began to study astronomy and found out about the moon. Perhaps due to that night it brought her great interest. Funny how things tied together like that. Nightmare moon soon became a curse in her mind and soon the day came.

Her friends were there. She never realized it before, but she felt so empty without them there. Once there were back in view of her memories she felt complete. Together, the six of them took down Nightmare Moon and set their friendship in stone. Everything after that she recalled perfectly; they were the best memories she could ever hope to relive. As the memories neared their end, she became aware of the electrical snapping again. They had been continuous, almost coinciding with the playback of the memories. But now… they were fading.

Twilight entered the dark void. The memories became scrambled and seemed to be broken. She was in her own void, but memories of being in another person’s wasn’t supposed to happen. The mystical place couldn’t handle it. The memories slowly cut themselves off; her mind erased them to relieve of her final pain. She realized what the electricity was; it was her brain, the synapses connecting and forming life.

Her memories all combined together into a mush of extreme happiness as the synapses slowly slowed, eventually coming to a stop. She knew she was dead, that she’d never see her friends again. She was alright; she’d always be strong. She knew they’d keep her in their hearts, that she would never leave them.

Twilight smile to herself as the final electrical snap shut itself off. The nothingness quickly became a final memory, one that wasn’t real. She was in Ponyville and the sun was setting. It cast a beautiful golden glow over the town.

Spike was waiting outside with her friends. They all looked exactly as she remembered them. Not only that, but everypony else she knew was there. That is except for two important ponies in her life: Celestia and Luna. She was confused at first, but remembered that they were immortal. She’d not ever see them in the afterlife.

The library was her final link to life. As soon as she left she’d be gone from the world forever. But what was the point in staying? Her friends waited for her so that they could spend eternity together. She wouldn’t get better, she knew that. Best to just accept it and go to the afterlife.

Her front door seemed to shine brightly as she neared it. The closer she got, the happier she became. Every bad emotion slowly left her mind as she got closer and closer. This was the end of life and she was ready to move on. She’d wanted to experience life a bit longer, but she had made peace with the fact that she wouldn’t.

She put her hoof on the door and took a deep breath. Somewhere, a final electrical impulse went off in her brain.

She was dead.