• Published 1st Mar 2013
  • 4,831 Views, 86 Comments

A Lifeboat Made for Two - Phil Ken Sebben



Anon and Rarity hate each other, but when they get stranded on a desert island, can they work together to stay alive?

  • ...
13
 86
 4,831

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It sounds like an explosion went off over your head. You jerk awake just just as Rarity screams and thrashes violently. This time, you manage to dodge her hoof and sit up out of harms way.

"What was that!?" she shrills.

"I'm not sure."

You can hear the rain coming down hard than you've ever experienced, and you're suddenly aware that you're wet as you see the water splash in. Should have given the tent some flaps.

There's another crash overhead, not nearly as bad as last time. This time your head is clear enough to realize it's thunder. Rarity screams again.

"What IS that!?"

"Calm down, it's just a bit of thunder."

"I've never heard thunder like THAT before!"

You force a chuckle.

"Makes sense. I don't think the weather committee ever ordered a tropical storm over Ponyville."

You stretch and yawn, allowing yourself to wake up, and letting your mind sharpen. Flipping over, you crawl on your hands and knees toward the door of the tent.

"What are you doing?" Rarity asks.

"I'm just going to have a look."

"Well... do be careful, won't you?"

You flash her a reassuring smile, then exit the tent. The heavy leaf coverage overhead does little to block the torrents of rain falling down. The fire is on it's last legs, trying desperately to stay alight. Looking around, you try your best to find some dry sticks, but they're all soaked. Shaking the rain off as best you can, you feed the wet sticks to the hungry flame, hoping the last remnants of the flame will dry them off enough to burn.

As a large crack of lightening flashes overhead, you glace down toward the beach, and notice something frightening. The boat isn't on the beach where you left it, anymore. You don't have time to panic about that, though, as the waves are reaching to about ten feet from where you're standing, completely covering the entire length of the long beach. Another flash lights up the sky, giving you a good look at the horizon. You stand in shock, mouth agape, at the sight, until you feel water hitting your feet. The waves were getting closer still.

You sprint back to the tent as fast as you can, almost diving inside. Rarity, who had gone back to sleep, wakes with a start.

"Anonymous, what are you doing? What's wrong?"

"We can't stay here!" you manage to squeeze out between gasps for breath. "We have to move inland!"

Rarity looks at you like you suggested cutting her mane off.

"Why on Earth would we want to go out in that weather? This shelter isn't perfect, but surely it's better than being out in-"

You stick a hand to her face to shush her, earning you an angry look.

"Rarity, shut up!"

"Fine, then. What's so urgent that we should run out into a storm?"

"I'm not sure, but I think there's a hurricane heading this way.

The waves have already put out the fire and almost reached the tent by the time you've coaxed Rarity out into the storm. Gently, you pick her up again and move into the lush foliage.

"Where are we going exactly?" she cries over the storm. "I hope you've thought that much through!"

"Of course I have!" you lie. You didn't exactly have much time TO form a plan; you just know you have to get as far away from the shore as possible.

After a few minutes of walking, you realize you're next to the cave Rarity fell into. That would the perfect place to wait this out. You carefully step down as gently as possible into the mouth of the cave.

"The cave? This is your plan?"

"You got a better idea? I'd love to hear it!"

You can't hear the curt "hmph" over the rain, but you know she gave one. The water pooling at the bottom comes up to your ankles, but the uphill slope ensures that the rest of the cave is mostly dry. It was dark the first time you came here, but this time it's pitch black. Doing your best to find a clear area free of stones and pebbles, you gingerly place Rarity onto the cave floor. Exhausted, you sit beside her with a loud groan.

Silence overtakes you as you listen to the storm rage outside. Each clap of thunder seems to reverberate inside the stone confines of the cave. You can hear Rarity shivering beside you. You're pretty cold, yourself, wet to the core, on a stormy night, in a damp cave.

"I guess We should have grabbed a blanket." you say half jokingly, trying to lighten the mood. She says nothing, but a small sniffle betrays her. She isn't shivering; she's crying.

"Hey... you ok?"

You feel like an idiot for asking, but you need to say something to her. She takes a moment to regain her composure before she answers.

"I'm afraid, Anonymous."

"You don't have to be afraid. We're perfectly safe in here."

That probably isn't true, but hopefully it makes her feel better. You can faintly hear her shake her head in the darkness.

"Not just of the storm. Of our situation. Of everything happening."

"Oh."

Not the most intelligent reply you could have come up with.

"I'm scared, too."

Come on, you idiot, that's not helping.

"But, we'll be fine. It's only a matter of time before they find us."

”But what if they don’t find us? What if we have to stay here?"

She pauses, and you hear her gulp, fighting back tears.

"I don’t want to die here.” she says, sniffling again.

There's a slight pang in your chest, almost a knot. It's fear. The same fear she's having. Though you can’t see her, you can hear her move slightly in the dark. You reach into the blackness, feeling for her. Your hand lands gently on her back. This time, she doesn't flinch away.

"We'll be fine, ok?"

Your stomach growls loudly as you say it, reinforcing the doubt in your own words. Luckily, it was drowned out by the storm outside.

"Let's try to get some sleep, ok? We'll worry about this in the morning."

It's doubtful you'd get much sleep over the sounds of the howling winds and booming thunder, but you were exhausted enough, physically and mentally, that you were willing to try. She doesn't reply, but you feel her shifting underneath your hand, lying down on the cold rock. You take the place beside her.

Sleeping in the sand wasn't fun, but it was luxury compared to this. You feel Rarity shifting next to you, until you feel her back meet yours. It was only a little warmer, this way, but it made you feel a lot better just knowing she was there. After what seemed like hours, you finally drifted off to a light, troubled sleep.

End chapter 6