• Published 30th Jan 2012
  • 4,651 Views, 14 Comments

A Simple Affair - Adrian Brony



Twilight, Spike, and Celestia enjoy an intimate, private dinner on valentines day.

  • ...
4
 14
 4,651

A Simple Affair

"So what've ya got planned tonight?"

"Oh, Spike and I are going to Canterlot for the evening."

Applejack smirked, "Oh, I get it, you've still got a romeo back home, don'tcha?"

"Oh, no. Every year for as long as I can remember, Celestia's held a nice quiet dinner for us. Nothing big, just us three in a low key place."

"CELESTIA!? WHA- B-But what- how did you manage to. WHAT?"

Twilight chuckled, "I'd think that this wouldn't be too surprising when I get a hug from her while everyone else kneels to her. She's the closest thing to a mother I've ever had."

Applejack stared blankly, more past Twilight than at her. "Ah. couldn't even imagine what. Did anyone ever tell you how ridiculously lucky you are? That's almost unfair."

"Please, it's not like she just gave me everything. I still had to get scholarships for my education and do work on the side. I'm just a student of interest to her."

"Well how many other students do ya think she does this to?"

Twilight hesitated, "You know We've never talked about that. I just assumed there were others before me to get her mentoring like this."

The sound of wheels groaned and squeaked as a soft rumble shook the ground. A simple but large enclosed wagon creaked to a halt in front of the Ponyville library. The wagon was towed by a small team of pegassi, dressed in simple leather vests. The wagon's windows were covered by thick white curtains. The lead pegasus gestured towards Twilight, "Your ride, ma'am? Spike will be waiting for you at the... destination."

Applejack soaked in the understatement of the transit. Sure it was big, but if it weren't for the windows, she could have sworn it was a cargo wagon. It may very well have been converted from one. The only real feature of note was a single crossed circle on the curtains and embroidered into the vests of the chauffeurs. An ethereal scent could be picked up slowly wafting from the gaps in the assembly.

"Thank you, sirs. Well, I guess I should get going here. I'll probably be back later tonight if Pinkie has something last minute planned. You know her and her parties, heh."

The wagon door opened and a dim lavender light spilled onto the ground. As Twilight climbed into the wagon, Applejack caught a glimpse of pastel striped hair. The Pegassi took off with the wagon, leaving behind just a light yet piercing scent, not unlike incense.

The wooden box Swayed in the upper currents. Light emanated from special candles that burned a cold lavender flame. Twilight made herself comfortable in the luxurious cabin. She sat next to the large white Alicorn, cuddling up to her side as her warm wing shielded Twilight from the chilly draft. Celestia was serene as ever, but her face donned a smile as she looked down at her prized pupil. "That smile feels almost as warm as your wing, mo-- I mean."

Celestia sighed softly, "Oh, my dear. It's okay. Old habits die hard. I have come to miss the days when you used to call me that. Go ahead, just remember to respect me as your teacher and leader when we aren't in this... context."

Twilight blushed with misty eyes. "Thanks, mom. It feels so refreshing after this time. It felt weird at first back then. I mean, I wasn't even adopted, you were just taking care of me when I was looking for a place to stay. Though that did kind of turn into me staying with you while I was saving up money for a dorm at the university. And then when I was interning for the royal library."

Celestia held Twilight close with her front hoof, Sliding one of the curtains open with a magenta glow. "The stars are coming out. Long ago, My sister adored nights on holidays like this. You would be surprised how common they are. Whenever ponies noticed there wasn't a day devoted to love, they would invent one for the sake of having one. "

Twilight gazed back up at her mother inquisitively, "Why did you keep me around as long as you did? Why did you take me in at all, for that matter?"

Celestia's eyes shot narrow, then widened back up, "Patience, child. One day I will tell you. Just know that I cherished every second of seeing you grow into what you are today."

Twilight rested her head back onto her mentor's side, tears brimming her eyes, "I always look forward to this. The one for sure night a year I get to spend time with my mother."

Twilight felt a tender nuzzle to the side of her neck. She raised her head and met her mother in a neck embrace. "And this is the one guaranteed night I get time to spend with my daughter."

The wagon rumbled to a halt in a small garage. Unlike the grandeur of the royal palace, the elegance and craftsmanship lied in the smallest of details. If the palace were a romance novel to Equestria, this one room was an intimate love letter. The cabin door opened, and Twilight squinted at the stark white of the well lit marble walls. The occupants made their way to a small door, marked with the same understated symbol and followed a narrow staircase up to a hidden door opening up into an intimate dining room fit for only a small group. The room was hewn straight out of the mountain itself, into a deposit of a rare blue stone. Light from the hanging crystals reflected off little sparkles in the midnight blue stone.

The table was of two pieces. The base was carved out of the room, and was polished to a high shine. The top was inlaid with a black wood, carrying a flowing grey grain and also polished to a mirror shine. Spike had already taken his seat, and smiled warmly as the hidden panel on the far wall slid open.

"Twilight, nice to see ya'! Well, nice to know I can eat soon, now that you're here."

Spike grinned at Celestia as the two equines took their seat next to each other. "I see you have not gotten hungry enough to gnaw on the table."

Celestia giggled as the servers brought out the night's fare. Celestia and Twilight shared a simple salad of succulent grasses, dressed in a light nectar and topped with a rose. Spike was given a salad of his own. fine strips of the same blue rock the room was made of, layered with agate slices and served with a cup of brass colloid for dressing.

The servers excused themselves as the evening was filled with peaceful conversation. Celestia shared stories and events that she would never divulge otherwise, as Spike and Twilight shared their accounts of daily life in Ponyville. Amongst the clean light and the comfortable banter, the three annually become what they all longed to become.

While Twilight and Celestia shared almost uncharacteristically candid conversation, Spike sat back in his seat. "So warm. Nopony in all of Equestria ever gets to see Celestia this way. She always seems so... above it all. Right here, she is just another pony, enjoying an evening with her family. Well, at least her daughter. I wonder how I fit into all of this anyway. One of maybe two people to once a year get a glimpse of the real Celestia. Feels like I shouldn't even be here at all."

Stacked plates and empty cups, the three winded down their evening full and happy. "I'm going to go get the cab ready, if that's okay with you?"

Celestia and Spike nodded, and watched Twilight charm the door open as she left the room. Spike looked over to Celestia, "How much do you think she knows?"

Celestia stared at a stray leaf on her empty plate, "She is bright. I have no doubt she realizes what I have in store for her."

"Do you think she knows about... what happened that one time?"

Celestia sighed, her plate rang out as two drops landed on it. "I can only hope she does not remember. I have been trying my whole life to get that image out of my mind. Struggling to breathe as you held her small body in your arms. Your life's blood leaking from both of your bodies as they neared their end. I have done things I am not proud of for the sake of Equestria. I have gone so far as to force my own sister into a horrible life of isolation, for the good of the country. The image of you and my daughter dying together are the only images that stay in my mind."

Spike jumped up onto the table and walked to Celestia. "Gee I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

Spike's eyes shot open, as his lips met with Celestia's. His short arms couldn't reach around her neck, so he placed them on the sides of the Princess's neck. Spike felt warm drops roll onto his cheek. Celestia broke the kiss and gazed deep into Spike's eyes. "You will always be my greatest hero. You gave your life trying to save my daughter's. Even though you both died, you did well. If it weren't for you, Her soul would have been burned up in that magic, and I never would have been able to set her soul to return to flesh one day. I know you remember every moment of that incident, dragons always remember past lives. I want you to know I did not bind you for reincarnation solely for her benefit."

The dragon stared into Celestia, breathing in shaky raspy breaths. "I'd never have known if. But. I see now. This is where I fit into this family. I just never imagined that you would feel.. THIS way for anypony, much less me. What am I even supposed to do with this? I- I l-"

"Love you too. Give it time, Spike. There is not much we can do with this for now. We are both bound to live for a long time, however. Live your life, fall in love, do everything over again like you planned. If you'd have me, however, then know I will always be a breath away."

Spike and Celestia were deathly quiet, just soaking up every detail of the moment. "Hey, the cab's ready guys!"

Twilight turned around and rushed back down the stairs. Spike stared at the empty doorway briefly. "Doesn't matter what happens, Celestia. as long as I never have to leave her for long."

Spike choked, "I gave my life for her once, don't think for a second I wouldn't do it again."

Celestia smiled, "Of course. Even if you are with me, I would never dream of tearing you two apart."

Celestia wrapped her neck around Spike in a brief embrace before departing the room.

Twilight embraced Celestia in a tight hold, "Thanks again, Mom. Every year it seems these dinners get better. I- Love you, Mom."

Celestia hugged back, trying to suppress a quiet sob,"I love you too, Twilight." "If you only knew just how precious you really were to me."

The two broke off and Celestia stroked Twilight's mane with her hoof. "Though we really should get you back. Your friends are probably missing you."

The three rode back into Ponyville, with Twilight once again snuggled up against her mother, and Spike sitting opposite of the two, staring out the window. As the carriage neared Ponyville, music could be heard in the distance, and the town glowed with the lights of a party below.

The cab touched down just on the edge of the party, and Twilight could see Applejack pointing the carriage out to Fluttershy. The door slid open and Twilight gave on last hug to her mother before going back to treating her as her teacher. Celestia planted a quick kiss on Twilight's cheek. "Now go have some fun tonight, and please remember the reports. You ought to know those mean so much more to me than just a lesson."

Twilight nodded and disembarked into the party. "Um, Twilight?"

Fluttershy coyly trotted over to Twilight, "I, well, you see, I've always wanted to try dancing at these things but, well..."

Twilight Glanced back at Celestia, who nodded in knowing approval. "Of course, I'll dance with you. Let's start out over here where there aren't as many people to run into and..."

Spike chuckled, and Celestia made a relaxed sigh, "She reminds me so much of myself when I was that age."