• ...
50
 91
 4,122

Chapter 2

It was a nice and peaceful day in Equestria. Cheerilee had taken her class to the Canterlot Sculpture Garden for a field trip. She showed her class all the known statues in the garden and told them what they each represented. The Cutie Mark Crusaders, which consisted of a yellow earth pony with a red mane and tail and a big red ribbon in her mane, in Apple Bloom, a white unicorn with a purple and pink mane and tail, in Sweetie Belle, and a light orange pegasus with a reddish-pink mane and tail, in Scootaloo, had gotten into a couple of arguments with each other after they had seen a few of the statues and wondered how cool it would be to have one of them as a cutie mark, something they were each lacking. Seeing that they were distracted, Cheerilee called them over to view another statue in the garden.

The statue that she wanted them to see was said to be a draconequus. The creature’s head was horse-like, he had a deer antler on the right side of his head, and a goat horn on the left side of his head. He also had one long fang, a snake tongue, and a goat beard. His body had a lion’s right arm, an eagle’s claw for his left arm, a lizard's right leg, and a goat's left leg. The creature had mixed wings, the right wing was a bat, while the left wing was a pegasus, with a snake's tail to accompany his serpent/dragon-like body.

Cheerilee asks the class what the statue represents, with Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom each giving their answers of confusion, evil, and chaos, respectively. They immediately fought with each other after giving their different interpretations of what the statue represented. While they were fighting over who was right, the statue had a faint purple glow on its chest, something none of the present ponies noticed. Cheerilee broke up the fight after telling the Cutie Mark Crusaders that they were each right with what they were arguing over. As she summed it up, the creature was known as Discord, he was a spirit of Chaos, Disharmony, and everything related to negative feelings of harmony. Cheerilee assigned each of the CMCs a task of detailing how they knew what disharmony was since they displayed it so well. It was something none of them were too thrilled about and it earned a laugh from the rest of their class at their misfortune. While Cheerilee was taking the class of fillies to another part of the garden. The Cutie Mark Crusaders trailed behind and continued to argue with each other about what Discord represents. Unbeknownst to them, the Discord statue started cracking, and an evil chuckle followed afterward.


Everything seemed normal around the town of Ponyville; Rainbow Dash had been clearing the sky flying around and making sure that everything was clear. While she was flying, a pink cloud zoomed past her, making her spin, and become dizzy in the process. After regaining her composure, Rainbow Dash chased down the pink cloud, and caught it, however, she got stuck in it and was left confused by what type of cloud could be sticky. She tasted it and it tasted like cotton candy, leaving her more confused than before. Multiple cotton candy clouds started flying past her in different directions. One cloud hung over her head and started downpouring chocolate milk on her, causing Rainbow Dash great frustration at the unscheduled rain.

The clouds started spreading through the town and were moving to Sweet Apple Acres, home to the Apple family. Seeing this weird weather, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were concerned since the pegasi had control over the weather, and rain was not a part of it for the day. Rainbow Dash left and attempted to stop the strange weather herself, the chocolate rain, however, started having its effect on the food. All the corn was beginning to pop and became popcorn, which the pink earth pony Pinkie Pie was swimming through. Pinkie was enjoying herself with what was going on and drank the chocolate rain while it was downpouring. Arriving in her rainy weather outfit, the white unicorn Rarity, attempted to calm Applejack down and offered to help in any way possible, unfortunately, due to what was going on, her idea of helping was to not get herself dirty. The apples suddenly grew immensely and bent the apple trees they were on. The squirrels were seen eating the super-sized apples, something that Applejack was not fond of, and she yells for Fluttershy to get the animals under control. Fluttershy’s rabbit Angel also joined the squirrels and was eating the apples. The yellow pegasus Fluttershy tried to convince Angel to stop eating the apple, but in that instant, Angel’s legs grew to the size of a deer. Other rabbits were seen having the same transformation after they ate the apples, and they started running through the fields in their newly stilted states.

Twilight Sparkle, a lavender-colored unicorn, and her assistant Spike, a purple baby dragon with green scales, arrived at Sweet Apple Acres, hoping that they could fix the problem. Twilight skimmed through a page in a book she brought with her and found a spell she believed was going to fix everything. She charged up her horn and fired a stream of magic across Sweet Apple Acres, enveloping everything in its bright purple light. After the flash subsided, Twilight was shocked to see that her fail-safe spell had failed. Spike thought they should give up after Twilight’s spell did not work, Twilight glared at him in annoyance, not wanting to quit so easily.

Rarity gave Twilight her umbrella and encouraged her to think of another plan to stop the madness at Sweet Apple Acres. Twilight thought for a moment and instantly produced a new plan. Twilight had Rainbow Dash collect all the cotton candy clouds and placed them together in one area. She then instructed Applejack to use her lasso to tie up the clouds and keep them grounded as a singular cotton candy cloud. After Rainbow Dash corralled the clouds into one area, Applejack lassoed the clouds into one cotton candy cloud and brought it down to the ground, leaving Pinkie Pie upset over the chocolate rain stoppage she was enjoying. After collecting all the clouds, Twilight instructs Fluttershy to bait the animals from eating the giant apples and have them devour the cotton candy clouds instead. Satisfied with her plan working, Twilight informs Spike, “As long as you work together with friends, giving up should never be an option.” Spike took the statement to heart, but before saying anything, he burps up his green fire, revealing a scroll from Princess Celestia. Twilight read the scroll and she was shocked to see it was an urgent message requesting Twilight and her friends to come to Canterlot.


Princess Celestia paced back and forth in her palace, waiting as patiently as she could for Twilight and her friends to arrive. Upon their arrival, Celestia started explaining what was going on in Equestria while walking through the castle, painting a picture of past events to the Mane Six with stained glass windows. Celestia had said that the reason for the animals' misbehavior, the chocolate rain, and Twilight’s magic not working were all from an old foe she had believed she defeated years ago, Discord. Discord, as Celestia described him, was a mischievous spirit of Disharmony. Before Princess Celestia and Princess Luna’s time, Discord had ruled Equestria with unrest and unhappiness. With all the chaos Discord had, he made life miserable for earth ponies, unicorns, and pegasi alike. Not wanting to stand by any further with Discord’s torture, both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna discovered the Elements of Harmony and used their combined power to seal Discord in his stony imprisonment as seen in the Canterlot Gardens.

Unfortunately, after the events of Luna’s transformation into Nightmare Moon, they lost their connection to the Elements of Harmony when Celestia used them to seal Nightmare Moon into the moon itself for one thousand years. After the events of Nightmare Moon had passed, the spell placed on Discord was now broken, and he was set free from his imprisonment. Celestia led Twilight and her friends to Canterlot Tower, in it lay the Elements of Harmony that were last used on Nightmare Moon. Due to Twilight and her friends using the Elements of Harmony to their full potential, Celestia and Luna can no longer use them as they formerly had and because of this, Celestia wanted them to wield the elements once again to put a stop to Discord before his chaos spreads through Equestria and to prevent his chaotic rein over the ponies once again. Twilight and her friends accepted the task at hand, Pinkie, however, wanted to overlook the eternal chaos in favor of the chocolate rain, something Twilight was quick to dismiss to Celestia.

Celestia put her horn into the lock of the chamber, she then used her magic to unlock and open the door. She pulled out a case that contained the elements and opened it to the ponies. Upon opening it, however, everyone was shocked to see that the elements were not inside. Celestia was left wondering what had happened to the elements, claiming that because of the powerful spell protecting the door, she was the only one that could open it. After a few moments, laughter was heard in the castle, Celestia stopped in her tracks and looked around the castle in anger, knowing who the laughter belonged to.
Discord taunted Celestia and the Mane Six, echoing his voice throughout the castle. He then revealed himself on one of the stained-glass windows that he was on, and animated himself going from one stained-glass window to another. Celestia questioned Discord about what he did with the Elements of Harmony; he responded by saying he is “borrowing” them for the time being and made the Elements of Harmony disappear on the stained-glass window he was on.

“You’ll never get away with this Discord!” Celestia declares in anger.

“Oh, I’ve forgotten how grim you can be, Celestia. It’s really quite boring,” Discord nonchalantly states, earning glares from everypony.

“Hey! Nopony insults the princess!” yelled Rainbow Dash.

She flies at the stained-glass window that Discord was on. However, he disappeared before she got to the window, having her crash face-first into nothing. Discord then reappeared on the same stained-glass window, bigger than he was a while ago.

“Oh, you must be Rainbow Dash, famed for her loyalty, the element of harmony you represent.” Discord stated.

“That’s right! I’ll always be loyal to the princess!” declared Rainbow Dash.

Discord disappeared from the stained-glass window he was on in a flash. “We’ll see about that,” he said in a challenging tone.

“I can’t believe you're wasting our time talking to a tacky window,” said Rarity in disbelief at what she was seeing.

Discord reappeared on the stained-glass window behind her and said, “The beautiful Rarity, representing the element of generosity, if I’m not mistaken.” Applejack walks up to the window Discord was currently on. “So, you know who we are, big deal,” Applejack concluded unimpressed.

Discord grew taller on the window and continued his knowledge of the ponies and said, “Oh, I know much more than that, honest Applejack.”

“You seem to know our strengths too,” stated Twilight.

Discord teleported and reappeared on a different window that had the mane six on it. He had shrunk himself to fit on the window. “Yes, Twilight Sparkle, and yours is the most powerful and the most elusive element, magic. Fluttershy’s is kindness and Pinkie Pie’s is a personal favorite of mine, laughter.”

Pinkie snickered after Discord’s statement, causing Twilight to turn her head in Pinkie’s direction after hearing her. “Pinkie!” she shouted in annoyance. “Ha-ha-ha! He’s standing on your head!” Discord, as said, was on Twilight’s head on the stained-glass window and was dancing in place on it, making Pinkie laugh even more.

Getting tired of Discord’s antics, Celestia got back on topic with Discord taking the Elements of Harmony. “Stop stalling Discord! What have you done with the elements of harmony!?” she demanded.

Discord stopped his dancing and was un-amused by her behavior. “Oh, so boring Celestia, really. Fine, I’ll tell you, but I’ll only tell you my way,” he said before disappearing from the stained-glass window and reappearing again in the other windows.

“To retrieve your missing elements, just make sense of this change of events. Twists and turns are my master plan. Then find the elements back where you began,” he concluded his riddle with a chuckle, leaving the ponies alone to try and solve the riddle.

“Can we go home now?” asked the worried Fluttershy once she and Applejack walked up to Twilight. “What do you reckon he meant?” questioned Applejack, “Twists and turns and then back where we started?”

Twilight walked to the window thinking about what Discord’s riddle meant. “Twists and turns. Twists and turns,” she said to herself in deep thought focusing on that part alone. After arriving at one of the windows, she looked out and an idea hit Twilight at that very moment. “Twists and turns! That’s it! I bet Discord hid the elements in the palace labyrinth!” she said in excitement.

Princess Celestia nodded in agreement to Twilight’s answer, thankful that the knowledge of the element’s whereabouts had been found. “Good luck my little ponies! The fate of Equestria is in your hooves,” said Celestia. “Thanks, princess, we won't let you down,” Twilight said with confidence, and with that, the mane six rushed out of the palace and headed to the labyrinth.


They arrived at the labyrinth and were about to enter, but Fluttershy started feeling scared of the idea of entering the labyrinth. Rainbow Dash assured her and the rest of the ponies that she will do a quick fly over the labyrinth to get the elements, when suddenly, her wings vanished, and she fell to the ground. Rainbow Dash was shocked to see that her wings disappeared. Shortly after, the same thing happened to Fluttershy’s wings, equally shocking her. Both Twilight’s and Rarity’s horns vanished afterward. “Your horn! My Horn! Aggghhh!!!” they said in unison.

A bright ball of light appeared before the ponies, and in a flash, Discord revealed himself laughing at the pony’s misfortunes. “You should see the looks on your faces! Priceless,” he said in amusement.

“Give us our wings and horns back!” demanded Twilight.

“You’ll get them back in good time,” he said before teleporting to Applejack. “I simply took them to ensure there’s no cheating. You see this is the first rule of our game: No flying, and no magic,” he finished after running his lion finger down Twilight’s chin, causing her great discomfort.

“The first rule?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“The second rule is: Everypony has to play, or the game is over, and I win. Good luck everypony!” He concluded in laughter and suddenly disappeared, leaving the ponies scared.

“Never fear girls! We have each other.” Twilight assured her friends. After calming down herself, Rainbow Dash helped her and said, “Yeah, like Twilight said. There’s nothing we can’t overcome if we all stick together.”

“All right, girls let's do this!” Twilight chimed.

“Together!” they said in unison after taking their first step into the maze. Suddenly, multiple hedges sprouted out of the ground and separated the ponies from one another, causing them to panic from the separation. Twilight yells over the hedges, “Stay calm girls! Everypony head to the middle as fast as you can, and we’ll regroup there!” After everyone’s approval, they started running through the maze to meet up in the middle as Twilight instructed.


The challenge proved to be tough for the ponies. One by one, Discord worked his magic on the ponies, using each of their cutie mark symbols to lure them into his traps designed with intention. He started with Applejack, puppeteering three piles of apples, claiming that they can show her the future, which would be nothing but the truth. Upon seeing the vision in a puddle, it revealed the future of her friendship with the rest of the group ending because of this mission. After seeing the “vision” of the Mane Six’s friendship ending, Applejack was tricked into believing that lies are easier to take than the truth, and with this belief set in her mind, her coat and mane fade into light grayish color. Shortly after Discord’s trickery, Twilight happily finds Applejack, thrilled to find one of her friends in the maze. Before finding her, she says that she thought she heard Applejack talking to somepony, but upon asking her this, Twilight takes notice of Applejack lying to her about talking to no one. Twilight was confused by this, but she ultimately dismisses the thought, knowing that Applejack was no liar.


Pinkie Pie was the next victim to encounter Discord’s tricks. Pinkie saw a balloon party and was instantly happy. Seeing all the different balloons with faces, she appreciated a fun party, until one of the balloon strings wrapped around one of her legs and made her trip and fall into a puddle of mud. After being put through this embarrassing moment, she was laughed at by the balloons and she questioned why it was so funny. Discord revealed himself to Pinkie and questioned why she wasn’t enjoying the laughter, to which she says that being laughed at and having a good laugh are two different things. He says, “It’s hardly different.” He merged his head with a balloon and continued saying, “Your friends laugh at you all the time.” Pinkie was quick to dismiss this thought and says, “My friends laugh with me, not at me.” He tauntingly says, “Oh really?” He started circling the pony as a balloon, laughing at her, making her question her friend’s intentions of laughter and pleading for the laughing to stop. He then changed the nearby balloons with drawn faces and turned them into her friends' faces. These newly replaced faces started laughing at Pinkie, making her feel more disheartened from being laughed at. Like Applejack, she also had a grayish color to her coat and lost her personality, no longer finding happiness through laughter. Both Twilight and Applejack find Pinkie after the balloons popped, including the ones covering the entrance. Like with Applejack, Twilight was happy to see Pinkie yet, she quickly took notice of her upset behavior as she gave Twilight a snide remark about needing a good laugh. Growing more concerned for her friends, she tells herself that she needs to pick up the pace at finding her friends, believing that the stress of the situation is getting to them, but unknown to her, it was Discord who was solely responsible for their changes. He was ready to mess with his next target.


Rarity was next in line for Discord to toy with. After making her complaint about wanting an audience with Princess Celestia instead of doing the “outdoor sport” involving the maze, Rarity bumped into a rock wall that had three diamonds embedded in it, making Rarity swoon over their beautiful glow. Within the diamonds in the wall, Discord works his persuasion on Rarity, knowing full well that she values gems, including ones that shine bright enough to keep her attention due to their beautiful perfection. She tried her best to resist the gems, but greed got the best of her, and she started digging them out of the rock wall with her bare hooves, turning her white coat and purple mane into a grayish color as well. After digging the wall out, the three gems ended up being a giant diamond that she admired upon seeing it and wanted to take it home with her; but unknown to her, the diamond in question was a giant boulder instead. The wall that held onto this “diamond” collapsed and Twilight, Applejack, and Pinkie were on the other side. Twilight was happy to see Rarity, but she was confused seeing her carry the boulder on her back. She questioned Rarity about it, but she proclaimed that it was a giant diamond, and she threatened her friends to not come near it, declaring that it was her since she found it. Twilight was at a loss for words seeing three of her friends acting very weird, but she pressed on, hoping to find Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash soon.


Fluttershy was next and the poor pegasus was not only lost but scared as well. She was seen hiding in the hedges, trying to navigate the maze, yet due to the separation from her friends, she felt alone and anxious. She attempted to talk herself into moving forward but was startled by three butterflies and she instinctively jumped back into the hedges to hide. She instantly calmed down as she realized that it was only butterflies and she chased after them, hoping that they could help her get out of the maze. After getting to a specific spot in the maze, the three butterflies appeared and started talking to her, but unbeknownst to Fluttershy, Discord disguised himself as the three butterflies and was attempting to make Fluttershy angry. Each one of his attempts was him telling her that she was intentionally left behind by her friends, he also tells her that they see her as a weak and helpless pony, and he also tells her that they always point out her flaws, and that deep down, she must be bothered by it. Fluttershy, the ever-kind-hearted pony she is, didn’t fall for any of the tricks at all, rebuking his claims with no malice towards her friends, accepting the flaws that she has, and being very thankful that her friends accept her for who she is. This caused Discord great frustration over the fact that he wasn’t breaking Fluttershy, and he decided to corrupt her himself. After ditching the butterfly disguise, he forced her to become a cold-hearted pony with a simple touch from his eagle claw on her head, making her coat and mane fade into a grayish color and he disappeared in a frustrated flash.

One of the wall hedges collapsed and revealed Twilight and the others on the other side. She was instantly happy seeing Fluttershy and ran to meet her, feeling that with Fluttershy found, things would feel a little bit normal after the others started behaving differently. “Aw, boo, hoo, hoo!” Fluttershy cold-heartedly said to Twilight, catching her off guard from this instantly. “Why don’t you wave your magic little horn and make everything all right?!” Twilight was at a loss for words from the cold question, but before she could say anything, Fluttershy continued and said, “Oh that’s right, you can’t! You don’t have one.” Fluttershy ended her sassy remark with the tip of her tail snapping in front of Twilight’s face. Twilight was not only hurt by this, but she started questioning what was going on with her fading friends as things were starting to get out of hand.


Rainbow Dash was the last pony that Discord would mess with. He lured her into his trap with a cloud emitting rainbow lightning. Rainbow Dash chased the cloud down and spotted Discord resting on a cloud-like hammock between two apple trees. After seeing him, Rainbow Dash took a fighting stance, challenging him, and was ready for a fight, but Discord had other plans for Rainbow Dash, giving her a “message” regarding her home, Cloudsdale. He says to her, “A weighty choice is yours to make: the right selection or a big mistake. If a wrong choice you choose to pursue, the foundations of home will crumble without you.” This riddle catches her attention as he mentioned her home to her. He then snapped his fingers, and pulled up the cloud Rainbow Dash was chasing earlier, it spun in place revealing a vision that Cloudsdale would crumble without her presence, causing great shock to the pegasus. Discord next presents a gift box to Rainbow Dash; he tells her that her wings are in it and leaves her with two choices: She could either take the wings and leave the game or she could continue to wander aimlessly in the maze.


Back to Twilight and the others, she was seen carrying the boulder by herself helping Rarity, despite the selfish nature Rarity has taken. The treachery in the maze was becoming a bother to her, but she still held onto hope. She felt that once they found Rainbow Dash, things would be better, believing she would not let them down. After declaring the power of friendship, Applejack said that Rainbow Dash was flying away and chose to abandon them. Twilight, not believing her statement, until she glimpses into the sky and sees her flying away herself, and she also sees Rainbow Dash had turned grey like the others. When Rainbow Dash was out of sight, storm clouds gathered over the maze, and it suddenly disappeared causing a dust storm. It was at this exact moment Discord revealed himself after the dust settled from the maze’s disappearance.

“Well, well, well. Somepony broke the “no wings, no magic” rule.” Discord said in a fake upset tone. He then snapped his finger and restored the horns and wings for Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy, respectively.

“Game’s over my little ponies. You didn’t find your precious elements,” he simply stated. He then pulled out an umbrella and opened it in an inverted fashion while stating, “Looks like we might be due for a big old storm of chaos.”

Discord laughs in victory while leaving Twilight in shock from the turn of events.

Author's Note:

Here's MLP's part, and bad guy #2 for the story.

12/7/22 Chapter updated