• ...
50
 91
 4,105

Chapter 5

It was a nice sunny day at the park. Mordecai and Rigby were on clean-up duty due to another mishap that occurred that they were involved in. There was garbage, debris from the grass getting torn up, the fountain was destroyed again and some ripped trees scattered throughout the park. Rigby was trying to pass the time by telling Mordecai some jokes, all relating to the incident, but the blue jay was feeling down and angry. He did not respond to any of the jokes Rigby told him, something that he took notice of. Rigby said, “Dude, what’s with you? You haven’t been yourself since you got back from the Coffee Shop.”

Mordecai responded with a grunt, remembering what had happened at the coffee shop moments before the incident had occurred.


**FLASHBACK**

He and Rigby were on their lunch break and had gone to the coffee shop as per usual. Mordecai had planned on asking Margaret out almost every time he and Rigby go there, unfortunately, with how shy he is around her, and with Rigby’s teasing, it just made it a lot harder for him to do so. To build his self-confidence, Mordecai kept telling himself that this day was going to be the day he will ask her out. To assure himself, he said aloud, “I’m gonna do it, Rigby. I’m going to ask Margaret out.” Rigby rolled his eyes and said, “Pfft. Yeah, right dude.” Mordecai pointed at him in anger and said, “Just watch.”

He walked over to Margaret, but instead of asking her out, he instead asked for the usual that he and Rigby would get at the Coffee Shop, which would be their coffee and some sandwiches. Once he got back to the table, Rigby said with a smug look on his face, “Hmm-hmm, I told you.” Mordecai snapped at him and said, “Dude shut up! I’ll eat first, and then I’ll ask her out.” Rigby scoffed at the excuse and said, “You’ve been trying that strategy for a long time, and it hasn’t worked yet.” Mordecai glares at Rigby for the comment, but instead of getting into a fight, he just sat and waited for his meal.


They finished their meal in silence, Mordecai did everything he could to motivate himself while he and Rigby ate their sandwiches. He told Rigby to go back to the park while he paid for their meal, thinking that if Rigby wasn’t around, he’d feel less pressure to ask the robin out. After making the payment, Mordecai decided it was time to make his move. Margaret snapped him out of his thoughts and said, “Here’s your change Mordecai.” He said with a smile, “Thanks, Margaret. Uh, hey Margaret, can I ask you something?” She said with a smile, “Sure, what is it, Mordecai?” Mordecai started to get nervous, but he continued anyway and said, “Uh, I was wondering, uh, if it’s not too much trouble…would you like to uh… go out with me this Saturday?” Mordecai thought to himself, “All right, I finally did it. Now just gotta wait for her answer.” Unfortunately for him, Margaret was feeling uncomfortable with the question. She wasn’t expecting him to ask her on a date, and it just put her in an awkward position. She said with a sad smile, “Oh, I’m flattered, Mordecai, really, I am. But I have to say no.” Mordecai looked confused and heartbroken after hearing her answer. She continued by saying, “It’s nothing against you Mordecai, I think you're a great guy, but I only see you as a friend.”

Mordecai felt even worse after hearing this. “Great, the friend zone. I’m stuck in the friend zone with her.” Mordecai thought to himself bitterly. He then put on a fake smile of his own, trying to hide his emotions as best as he could. He apologized for his question, thanked her for the meal, and left the coffee shop before things could get any worse for him. Rigby caught sight of him once he came back to the park and asked, “So, how did it go?”

Mordecai didn’t respond to his question, the look of anger, sadness, hurt, and total rejection were visible on his face. Rigby didn’t push the subject with Margaret any further, he thought he might ask him more about it later.

**END FLASHBACK**


Mordecai finished up the job that was assigned to him and Rigby. Benson was a little surprised to see that he had finished his job. He then assigned him to do another job at the park, and Mordecai got to it, without any arguments, leaving Benson a little confused about his behavior. He turned to Rigby and asked, “Did something happen to Mordecai?” Rigby shrugged, not knowing the full extent of what happened, but he had a feeling that things didn’t go so well between Mordecai and Margaret.

Mordecai was assigned to help Skips clean one of the carts and fix the breaks as well as other problems the other carts had. He had started scrubbing the cart with a wet towel, but his mind was still set on the events back at the Coffee Shop. “Friendzone? Friendzone? Why am I stuck in the freakin’ friend zone?! Am I just not good enough?” Mordecai thought to himself in frustration.

He wasn’t trying to focus his anger on Margaret, he was angrier with himself for not making a move sooner. He was thinking about the multiple times he could have said something, or done something, but he never felt the time was ever right, especially when Margaret had a new boyfriend almost every other week. Despite this fact, he was still kicking himself for not doing anything sooner and he was on the verge of crying angry tears with the position he put himself in. He took the risk and put his feelings on the line, but in the end, he was rejected, and now things can never be the same between him and Margaret ever again. He rubbed his eyes and takes some deep breaths to try and calm down, not wanting to have an emotional breakdown while he was on shift.

After finishing his job, Rigby caught up and helped him with the cart. Skips went inside to get his tools so they could fix the breaks on it. While they were cleaning the cart, a bright light flashed behind them, they turned and saw ten figures from the light. After seeing the figures, they hid behind the cart, thinking the figures might start some trouble with them. Rigby asked, “Who are they?” Mordecai said, “How should I know?”

Back to Sonic and his friends, after teleporting with Chaos Control, they each got a good look around their surroundings in the new area. They saw trees scattered around the area, park benches, the destroyed water fountain, a snack bar, and a playground. They figured that they were in a park. Sonic turned to Tails and asked, “You sure the radar says the emerald is here?” He simply said, “Yeah, it’s here all right. I think we should split up and look for it.” And with that, Sonic and the group split up and went in different directions to search for the Chaos Emerald.

Mordecai and Rigby looked over from the cart and saw that the visitors weren’t around. Not wanting to deal with what had shown up, the duo got back to work.


Sonic had no luck finding the emerald after searching for the last half hour. He felt a little tired and stopped at the snack bar. He gave it some thought and decided to grab a couple of chili dogs for a quick break. Sonic walked over to the snack bar counter and saw a green obese man with brown hair, along with a ghost with a hand on its head running the snack bar. Seeing that the duo didn’t pay attention to their customer, Sonic pounded on the counter, getting their attention, and said, “Two chili dogs to go Slow-Mo, on the double.” Muscle Man turned to him and said, “Who’re you calling ‘Slow-Mo’ bro?” Sonic pointed at him and said, “You, that’s who. Now move it! I got things to take care of.”

Muscle Man then said, “Well, well, well, looks like someone’s impatient when it comes to a good wiener. Do you know who else is impatient when it comes to a good wiener? MY MOM!” Sonic gave the green man a questioning look while he and the ghost gave each other a high five and said, “Okay…” Sonic thought to himself, “I’m not sure if I’m supposed to laugh, or feel disgusted by that.” After a few minutes, Muscle Man said, “Here are your chili dogs bro.” Sonic paid for the chilidogs and left the snack bar.


Meanwhile, Twilight wasn’t doing much better with finding the emerald herself. She came across a garage and saw a couple of workers. She decided to ask one of them for help since she didn’t know a thing about the park. She walked over to Skips’ garage and sees the blue jay by himself while he was working. She goes to him and said, “Excuse me can you help me with something?”

Mordecai heard the voice and turned to see who it belonged to. He didn’t see anyone until he looked down, and he was a little shocked to see a lavender unicorn standing before him. He was still bothered from his last experience with a group of unicorns, so for him to see another one would understandably leave him on the defensive side. Twilight simply smiles at the blue jay as he sees her for the first time. Seeing her smile and looking into her purple eyes, Mordecai didn’t feel threatened by her and he started to calm down.

The unicorn said, “I’m Twilight Sparkle. What’s your name?” Mordecai had a light blush on his face after hearing her talk, as well as hearing her name. “Twilight Sparkle,” the name just fits this pony perfectly. A light breeze blew by, adding the effect of her mane blowing in the wind, making his heart race even faster. He thought to himself, “Holy crap.” He turned around, trying to hide his blush from Twilight, he started feeling more nervous than he could recall at this moment. He realized what he was doing and thought, “Don’t come off as weird, just talk to her.” He takes a deep breath and turned back around after getting out of his current mindset. He said, “Uh…I’m M-m-morde…Morde.” He started stammering, making Twilight tilt her head to him. He coughed in an attempt to stop his stammering and continued to say, “Mordecai. I’m Mordecai.”

Twilight giggled at his actions and said, “It’s nice to meet you, Mordecai.” Hearing her giggle caused him to blush lightly, he smiles as he found it adorable. After regaining his composure, Mordecai asked, “So, you said you needed help with something?” She said, “Oh, yes, I needed some help. There’s something a friend of mine lost and we think it’s here. I’ll take you to him and he can tell you more about it.” Mordecai nodded to her answer, and to be nice, he chose to go with her. Before he left, he said, “Hey Skips, I’m gonna go for a walk. I’ll be right back.” Skips, still looking for his tools, said, “All right, see you, Mordecai.”

And with that, Mordecai left the garage with Twilight to look for her friend. While they were walking through the park, Sonic had just run past some trees and he sees Twilight with the blue jay. He was going to approach them, but he saw the way the blue jay was looking at Twilight. From what he could see, from the light blush and how careful he was as he looks at Twilight, Sonic sees that this blue jay is a shy guy. Sonic was a little puzzled by what he was seeing, so he kept a good distance from them and wanted to see how they would act with each other, sensing no hostility between them as he started eating one of the chili dogs. He was surprised by the taste of the chili dog and thought, “This is really good, must be a special hot dog.”

Mordecai was looking her over, from her mane to her eyes, to her smile. He just felt a lot happier than he did before, he wasn’t too sure what it was, but he liked it. To pass the time while they were looking for this friend of Twilight’s, he decided to get to know her better and started a conversation with her. Mordecai said, “So…I’m guessing you aren’t from around here.” Twilight said, “No, me and five of my other friends are from Ponyville. Do you live around here?” He said, “Yeah, I live in that blue house over there with my friend Rigby and the owner of this park’s son, Pops.” He pointed to a two-story house that was in the park. She said, “Looks like a nice little home, and very convenient too.” He said, “It’s cool, I never had a job that gave me a place to live.” She said with a smile, “I know what you mean. My assistant Spike and I live in a library. Well, it’s a giant tree with a library in it, but still a library.”

Mordecai saw this as a chance to make a joke and said, “At least there’s no excuse for being late for work.” Mordecai and Twilight shared a good laugh about their living arrangements and the little quip Mordecai made. She added, “Not unless you sleep in.” Mordecai said, “Yeah, I suppose that’s true.” It might have been small, but Sonic saw a real connection between them. “As much as I don’t want to interrupt them, we got an emerald to look for,” Sonic thought to himself with a smile. He finished eating one of his chili dogs and ran up to the pair. After arriving, he said, “Hey Twilight, I see you’ve made a new friend.” She said, “Hey Sonic, this is Mordecai. He’s one of the park workers here. Mordecai, this is Sonic. He’s the friend I was telling you about earlier.” The blue jay looked at him in question and said, “Sonic? I think I’ve heard that name somewhere before.” Sonic then asked, “Do you remember hearing about a Space Colony that had fallen to Earth?” Mordecai said, “Yeah, I’ve heard of that.” He slapped his forehead in realization and said, “Oh, wait. Sonic the Hedgehog? Now I remember! Dude! It’s great meeting you in person!”

Sonic grinned and shook Mordecai’s extended hand. Twilight was a little shocked to hear that he had to deal with a space colony falling to Earth and asked in surprise, “A space colony?” After seeing her expression, he asked, “Remember when I said that I saved the world on more than one occasion?” She nodded and said, “Yes, I remember.” He said, “The space colony falling was one of those things. It was known as Space Colony ARK, and it was on a collision course with Earth after my arch-nemesis Dr. Eggman had placed all seven of the Chaos Emeralds in the ARK. That was one of my adventures that involved saving Earth, but I couldn’t have done it without my friends.” Twilight nodded in understanding and amazement. Mordecai gave him a questioning look and asked, “What are the Chaos Emeralds?”

Sonic pulled the purple emerald out, showed it to Mordecai, and said, “This little gem is a Chaos Emerald. And like I said, there are seven of them in total. I had a little mishap back on Angel Island involving Time Eater, and Discord.” Mordecai looked a little confused after hearing the names. Sonic continued to explain and said, “I took care of Time Eater on my birthday, Twilight and her friends dealt with Discord not too long ago. Time Eater tried to steal them, but the red emerald released its power, and the emeralds scattered in different directions after it lost its grip on them. I found this one back in Ponyville. A radar that my pal Tails made, read that another one was here at the park.”

Getting a better understanding of the situation, Mordecai nodded his head and said, “Hmm-hmm.” Sonic then asked him, “So, can you help us look for the emerald that’s here?” He said, “Sure, I can help out.” And with that, Mordecai joined Sonic and Twilight and started looking for the emerald.


Mordecai decided to start his search for the emerald with Sonic. After agreeing, Twilight left the duo and went to search for the emerald in a nearby place. Sonic wanted to know a little about the park and the two workers at the snack bar before he continued looking for the emerald. He asked, “Hey Mordecai, can I ask you-?” But before he could finish his question, Mordecai got ahead of himself and said, “Twilight is just a friend!” Sonic looked at him in confusion and said, “I wasn’t going to ask about you and Twilight.”

Mordecai felt embarrassed for his sudden outburst with Sonic. He scratched the back of his head and said, “Oh. What were you going to say?” Sonic said, “I was going to ask if you knew some green guy and a ghost that was working at the snack bar.” He said, “Oh, them. The green guy is Muscle Man, and the ghost is his friend High Five Ghost. Why, did Muscle Man give you one of his lame “My Mom” jokes?” Sonic stared at him in confusion and said, “Yeah. I’m going to take a guess and say that he uses that joke a lot.” Mordecai said, “You got that right, he uses that joke with everyone. It’s his way of trying to be funny. He’s more annoying than my friend Rigby, but I can still put up with him to an extent. I don’t have a lot to say on High Five Ghost, but he’s good to hang around now and then.” Sonic nodded in understanding after hearing his answer.

After searching around some small parts of the park, Sonic felt a little curious about Mordecai’s feelings for Twilight. He figured since she was searching in a different part of the park, he could ask him about it. He said with a grin, “Since you brought it up, what is going on with you and Twilight?” Mordecai blushed at this and said, “Oh, n-n-nothing. J-just showing her around the park trying to look for you.” Still wearing his grin, he said, “You sure? ‘Cause to me, it looked like she wasn’t the only one doing some “sightseeing” around here.” Mordecai turned to him and said, “You saw?” Sonic said, “Yeah, but don’t sweat it. If you like her, I got nothing against it,” he finished with a chuckle and began to eat the second chili dog.

Mordecai blushed hard after Sonic pointed this out to him and yelled in embarrassment, “Dude!” He shrugged at this and nonchalantly said, “What? I call them as I see them.” That exchange alone was different for Mordecai, he’s usually used to getting teased relentlessly by Rigby over any crush he had, but seeing that Sonic was being so cool with it, he started to calm down. Feeling a little more confident, he said, “Well…since we’re on this subject, do you know anything about her? Like maybe if she has a boyfriend back in Ponyville?” “I knew Twilight was cute, but he’s smitten already.” Sonic thought to himself with a smile. He put a hand on his chin and said, “Dude, I’ve only known her for a day, but as far as I know, she doesn’t. When I met her, she was reading a book on a bench in the park. If she were seeing someone, I would assume that he would’ve been with her on the bench or even talked with her.” Mordecai breathed a sigh of relief and said, “Good. Uh, I mean, uh, thanks.”

“As I said, if you like her, I got nothing against it,” said Sonic. Mordecai blushed after hearing his statement again. Mordecai was a little hesitant to think that what he was feeling was anything more than a crush. He was still hung up on what happened with Margaret, so he had no intention of just blindly diving into this. Sonic sees Mordecai’s blush fade and he could see a hurt expression on his face. It wasn’t obvious, but he was able to feel his mood change. He wasn’t going to push this any further, he figured that if something is on Mordecai’s mind, then he should let him sort that out for himself. He said, “Right now, we have to worry about finding the emerald here before Discord or Time Eater do.” Mordecai said, “Hmm, hmm good point.”

Sonic finished eating the chili dog and took off in a different direction, leaving Mordecai to his thoughts. He started his search in the bushes. Mordecai said to himself, “She reads books, she lives in a library, and she’s an all-around friendly pony. All I can do is if I do get the chance, hopefully, I can do better with her.”


After searching around the park for a while, Mordecai came across the playground and started looking in the area. He sees the playground and notices that the sand in the sandbox looked like something crashed into it. He gets closer to the spot and sees something sparkle under the sand. Mordecai then grabbed a plastic sand shovel some kid left behind and started digging up the spot. After digging enough sand, Mordecai found the cyan Chaos Emerald. He takes it out of the sand, held the emerald in his hand, and felt proud of himself for finding it. He couldn’t contain his excitement and yelled, “OOOOHHH!”

After hearing him shout, Sonic and Twilight turned to see Mordecai holding the emerald in his hand. They both rushed to him, both very happy to see that it wasn’t stolen. Mordecai said with a smile, “Here it is guys!” Twilight said, “Thank you, thank you, Mordecai!” He said, “No problem, Twi-.” But before he could finish his sentence, Twilight hugged him in excitement, and it left him with a heavy blush on his face. Sonic gave him a pat on the back for finding the emerald and said, “Yeah, thanks a lot Mordo!”

Before he could take the emerald back, the trio heard a radio go off. The voice belonged to Skips and he said, “Mordecai, come in Mordecai! Mordecai! Can you hear me?” Mordecai grabbed his radio and responded to the call and said, “I hear you, what’s going on Skips?” He responded by saying, “We need you back at the house. We’ve got a problem.” Mordecai looked a little worried over Skips’ response.

The rest of the ponies and Sonic’s friends regrouped at the sandbox after they saw the trio. After getting a good look at the others, Mordecai remembered seeing each of them when they appeared earlier. Knuckles looked at the blue jay and asked, “Who’s this guy?” Sonic said, “We can save the introductions for later. We’ve got to go to the house that’s here at the park.” Rainbow Dash said, “What for? I can see we have the emerald.” Twilight said, “Because, he helped us out, and the radio transition sounded urgent. The least we can do is see if we can help.”

Everyone agreed to this and left with Mordecai to go back to the house. As the group saw the house, they also saw Discord standing before the other park workers, Sonic dashed at top speed after seeing him. Once he was close enough, he jumped in the air and was ready to kick him in the head. Discord sensing his presence snapped his finger at the last second and disappeared. Sonic skids on the ground after his attack missed him. He growled in frustration and Discord reappeared with a grin.

Mordecai and the rest of the group showed up before Discord and Sonic could continue their fight. After seeing the intruder, Mordecai asked, “Who the heck is this guy?!” Twilight said, “That’s Discord.” After hearing the name, Mordecai remembered his conversation with them about Discord and Time Eater. Rigby snapped him out of his thoughts by saying, “I’m glad someone told us who this guy was!” Everyone turned to Rigby after his little outburst after the identity of Discord was revealed to him.

He continued by saying, “This guy said something about wanting to face Sonic, Twilight, and some other names I couldn’t catch and something about an emerald, but I didn’t know what the heck he was talking about.” Discord said with a smirk, “That’s right. I’m here for the Chaos Emerald. I was going to mess this lousy park up while I was going to search for it.”

Mordecai still had the cyan emerald in his hands. He lifted the emerald in the air and said, “Hmm-hmm sounds like you have bad timing!” Shocked by what he was doing, Rigby said, “Dude, what are you doing?!” Ignoring him, Mordecai said, “We found it before you even got here, and there is NO WAY you’re getting your hands on this.” Discord shook his head and said, “Always the hard way, I’ll never understand these guys. Very well then, I’ll have more fun taking it from you instead. But I’m going to get some help of my own.” He then snapped his finger, and a bright light appeared before everyone. Mordecai thought that Discord was getting Time Eater, but once the light faded, it revealed the Moon Monster instead.

Benson came out of the house, oblivious to what was going on outside, and said, “Mordecai! Rigby! I thought I told you two to…” But before he could finish his sentence, he noticed a big shadow and saw the Moon Monster. He said in confusion, “What the…?!” He looked at Mordecai and Rigby, believing they had something to do with it, but Mordecai was quick to defend them and said, “I swear, we had nothing to do with this one!!” Rigby added, “Yeah. It was that Discord guy over there.” He finished by pointing accusingly at him. Discord was upset for being singled out and says with a pout, “Tattletale.”

Benson turned to see where he was pointing and saw the mismatched creature. Discord waved at Benson with a mischievous smirk and disappeared, leaving everyone to deal with the Moon Monster. The Moon Monster, in no time, threw the first punch at everyone. The park workers, the ponies, and Sonic and co. split up, before the monster’s fist hit the ground. The park workers got into a nearby cart and drove off. The monster saw Rigby on the front porch and swung its fist at him. Rigby jumped off the porch, and the monster ended up punching a hole in the house instead.

While he was running, Applejack caught up to him and asked, “What in the hay is that thing?” He said, “I accidentally made that thing a while ago with a magic keyboard. After I made it, it tried to attack me, so I sent it to the moon, and it has been there ever since.” She then said, “My only question is how did Discord get THAT thing from the moon to here like nothing?” Sonic and Rainbow Dash approached Rigby and Applejack and heard her question. Rainbow Dash said, “Maybe Discord has gotten stronger in his abilities.” “For everyone’s sake, I hope it’s just his abilities,” Sonic thought to himself in concern, having a feeling that another factor is involved.

The monster had thrown a tree at the rest of the park workers. They swerved the cart and the tree barely missed them. The tree hurtled towards Knuckles and Tails, and out of instinct, Knuckles punched the tree and split it down the middle. Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie joined Sonic, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rigby. Everyone stopped running after they regrouped. Sonic asked, “So, what’s the plan?” Twilight said, “I think the Elements of Harmony can work on that thing.” Confused, Rigby asked, “Elements of What?” Ignoring him, Twilight said, “We need someone to distract the monster to make it work.”

Everyone heard a scream by the house. Sonic saw the monster had Amy in its hand and said, “Leave it to me.” And with that, he dashed off to save Amy. She tried to break free by using her hammer on the monster’s hand, but it wasn’t doing much effect on it. Knuckles tried punching the monster’s foot, hoping it would affect it, but his attacks were also left in vain. The monster tried to step on him, but Tails saved Knuckles in time by grabbing him, but couldn’t carry him far.

Sonic arrived and spotted Mordecai driving the cart. He yelled, “Hey Mordecai! I need that emerald!” He saw him waving his hands and said, “All right! Here you go, dude!” He threw the cyan emerald to Sonic, which he easily caught in his free hand. Feeling both of the powers of the emeralds, he turned himself into a ball and launched himself in a spin-dash attack. Sonic made contact with the monster’s stomach and bounced off it. He was still in his spin-dash attack, ready to strike it again.

The mane six arrived shortly after Sonic landed the first attack, and just like the park workers, they were surprised to see how much power he got from the two emeralds alone. Sonic kept his attack going and the monster let Amy go from its grasp. Seeing her fall, Mordecai ran as fast as he could and caught Amy in his arms. Mordecai gets them away from the Moon Monster before it could harm them. Twilight and her friends charged up their elements and were ready to unleash the power on the monster. Seeing this, Skips yelled, “Hey Sonic! You better get out of there!”

After hitting the monster in the back of the head, Sonic saw what one of the voices had said. The ponies were off the ground and they were ready to use the Elements of Harmony. He returned to the ground and the ponies launched a rainbow from their elements. It hit the monster, causing it to roar in pain as the rainbow engulfed its entire body. Everyone shielded their eyes from the bright light the elements made. Once the light subsided, they saw that the monster was no longer there, leaving everyone speechless.

Rigby suddenly said, “I’m glad to see Beef Burrito is back!” He ran over and grabbed the doll, leaving everyone confused, surprised, and dumbfounded over the monster’s real identity. Sonic scratched his head and asked, “It was just a doll the whole time?” Pinkie said, “Looks like it.” Mordecai shook his head at Rigby. Benson said, “Thank you all for helping us with that monster.” Sonic said, “No sweat.” Benson then said, “I’m guessing you’re Sonic.” He gave him a thumbs up and said, “The one and only.”

The gumball machine said, “I’m Benson; I’m the manager of this park. This is Skips, he’s the one that warned you about that attack.” Sonic said, “Thanks for the heads up back there.” Skips just said, “Anytime.” A lollipop man said, “I’m Pops.” Benson interrupted and said, “He is Mr. Maellard’s son, he is the owner of the park, and you have already met Mordecai, this other slacker is Rigby.” The raccoon said, “Hey!”

Everyone got a laugh out of Benson’s statement. After everyone was introduced, Benson wanted to know what was going on with Discord. Sonic pulled out the cyan emerald and said, “Discord wanted to get his hands on this.” Pops said, “It’s just a gem.” Mordecai said, “No Pops, it’s not an ordinary gem. Sonic told me it is a Chaos Emerald. As we saw what happened, it can give anyone a serious power boost.” Rarity said, “There are also seven of them that need to be collected.” Pinkie then said, “We need to get them before Discord and Time Eater can get their hands on them.”

Confused, Skips asked, “You’ve crossed paths with Time Eater?” Not expecting to hear someone know about Time Eater, Sonic asked, “You know who I’m talking about?” Skips said, “Time Eater is a being that can rip time and space into pieces. I’ve heard a lot of rumors about what it’s capable of doing, and none of it is good.” Sonic nodded and said, “And just imagine a being with that kind of power teaming up with Discord and the thought of these getting in their possession.” He showed the two emeralds to them. Benson asked, “How many of those are there again?” Knuckles said, “There are seven Chaos Emeralds.” Benson said with an understanding nod, “So, you have two of them so far, just five more to go?” Tails said, “That’s right. And my radar says the next one is not too far from here.”

Sonic turned to Mordecai and asked, “Hey Mordecai, want to help save the world?” Mordecai felt very honored with the idea of teaming up with Sonic. He was going to answer, until Benson cut into the conversation and said, “I’m sorry Sonic, Mordecai has a lot of work to do because of that Moon Monster. Besides, he wouldn’t be able to help you in any way.” He then said, “I wouldn’t have found the emerald here if it wasn’t for him.” Mordecai just said, “Hmm-hmm.”

Not wanting to feel left out, Rigby jumped into the conversation and said, “If Mordecai is going, so am I!” Sonic said, “I like your enthusiasm, Rigby. With how things are going, we’ll need all the help we can get.” Benson shook his head and said, “Fine. You guys can go, but I want you guys back as soon as you’re done because if you’re late even one minute on the seventh day, you’re both fired. Got it!” Everyone saw Benson turn red as he yelled the last part and they see both Mordecai and Rigby flinch from the yelling. They nodded in understanding and intimidation.

Skips and Pops wished Mordecai and Rigby as well as everyone else to do their best on their quest to save the world from Discord and Time Eater and went back to work. Sonic told everyone to gather around and he used Chaos Control again, to go to the next emerald.

First MordeTwi moment in the story. I’ve never written a fluff moment in my life. I hope I did well on it. What does Sonic have to worry about Discord? Only time will tell for the chapter. With Mordecai and Rigby joining the group, things should get more interesting. All Sonic and the rest of the gang can say is, “Two emeralds down, five more to go.”

Author's Note:

12/7/22 Chapter updated