• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 16,515 Views, 661 Comments

In a Flash of Lightning - Onomonopia



A hero comes to Equestria to re-capture a villian, but the world is not what he expected.

  • ...
33
 661
 16,515

Blood Moon

The city of Mareyland, which was built on a space of land the jutted out over a cliff, was a town filled with bright and prosperous ponies that spent their days trying to improve themselves and their city. Named the most delightful pony city a few years back, it was one of the few locations that every pony wanted to try to go to at least once in their life. Buildings that scraped the sky and shops as far as the eye could see were the main attractions. The city that was the pinnacle of pony ingenuity and friendship.

And it was now a blood bath.

The once proud city now burned like a torch in the night, giving the signal to the rest of the ponies of Equestria that their world was no longer safe, that a force of pure death was now walking among them. The force of death was Doomsday, which now ran rampant in this once great city and destroyed all in his path. Many had been killed already, but the worst was yet to come.

"My god," Celestia whispered to herself as she and Luna arrived at the burning city, fifty of their best soldiers there to fight with them. What they saw would forever haunt their nightmare, those that survived the fight. The city was burning, shops and buildings had been destroyed, but that wasn't the worst of it. What sickened and enraged Celestia the most was the bodies, the bodies of those that had been caught by this monster of death. But while Celestia looked around at all of her subjects that she had failed to save, Luna's rage filled eyes were glued to only one creature: Doomsday. Nearly eight feet tall and grey skinned, Doomsday was a ponies, and anyone else's, worst nightmare. It was covered in muscles that had spikes growing from its skeletal structure piercing through his skin. Its red eyes never blinked nor wavered as it cut down any and all that stood before it. The monster hadn't even noticed the princesses or the guards yet, it was too busy crushing and killing all those before it. A small filly had stumbled while trying to escape and hurt its leg. Doomsday turned towards her and his eyes narrowed, a new target having been acquired. He lumbered over to the pony, no rage or enjoyment in its eyes, only its purpose mattered and its purpose was to kill. He stood over the trembling filly, slowly raising one fist as the pony closed its eyes, tears streaming down them. Then he brought his fist down.

"HALT!" Luna roared, flapping her wings and letting her power crackle along her horn. Doomsday didn't listen.

CRUNCH!

Celestia and the guards both gasped in horror at what they had just witnessed, watching as the filly vanished under the massive hand of Doomsday. Luna's rage, already at its max, ascended to new levels far beyond what it had been when she was Nightmare Moon. Only after the filly had been smashed did Doomsday finally turn around to face Luna, emotionless eyes greeting her. She saw a monster that held no concern for life, a beast that needed to be destroyed. Doomsday saw a target. Nothing more.

"RRRRRRROOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR!" The roar that Doomsday let loose shook the remains of the city and the princesses to their very core. Unleashing a burst of speed that nopony would ever expect from something so large, tearing across the ground towards Luna and jumping straight at her, his powerful legs and calculating mind giving him exactly the right angle to slam into her. Or he would have if Luna hadn't teleported out of the way of his attack. She reappeared next to her sister as Doomsday collided with the side of a building, bringing it down upon him.

"HA! TAKE THAT YOU EVIL BEAST!" Luna roared in triumph, believing that Doomsday was dead. But as he threw off nearly ten tons worth of rubble, she realized that they had a much bigger fight on their hooves.

"Tia, I need your help in bringing this beast down," she asked her sister. Celestia snapped out of her trance caused by the death of the filly and turned towards Doomsday, a hate gleaming in her eyes that hadn't been seen in nearly a thousand years. She swung her horn upwards and a bolt of lightning descended upon it, giving her a very evil look.

"Bringing it down is too merciful, dear sister. I believe trapping it in the sun is more appropriate," she said with venom, making the guards back away nervously. Luna smiled with a wicked grin as Celestia let loose a roar of her own before firing a blast of complete magic into Doomsday chest. The explosion blew apart the city square, tossing up a cloud of magic and dust all around them.

"Wow sister, I have not seen your solar cannon in a while," Luna whistled with a grin. "I almost forgot how powerful and deadly it was."

"It certainly did the job," Celestia said with a frown, looking around at all the death and destruction, sorrow gripping her heart. "I just wish that we had been able to-"

"RRRROOOOAAAARRRRR!"

"Princess, LOOK OUT!" a guard screamed as he tackled Celestia out of the way, placing himself in the way of Doomsdays charge. He barreled into the guard and drove him into a wall, re-painting it with his blood. Celestia sprung to her hooves as Doomsday turned around to face them, blood covering his body.

"Impossible," she whispered, watching as the hole her beam had put in his chest started to repair itself." What manner of being are you?" The guards took up defensive positions around Celestia, preparing to fight in what they knew would be their last battle. Luna flew in front of them, her rage still great, but a hint of fear in her eyes.

"If you wish to get to them creature, you must first get through-" Luna didn't even have time to finish her sentence, as she barely had time to throw up a barrier around herself as Doomsday fist smashed into it. The sheer power of the impact shattered the barrier and tossed Luna over her troops, where she landed with a thud. The guards let loose a cry and rushed at Doomsday, Doomsday roaring in return and charging them. The guards threw their spears against the monster, which broke when they hit his skin. The guard’s bodies were the next thing to break when Doomsday ran into them. He charged straight through ten of them, skidding to a stop to slam a massive fist into a guard’s chest, breaking his body apart.

"ATTACK! DO NOT LET IT REACH THE-" Doomsday brought his fists down into the ground, sending a massive shockwave out that knocked all the guards off their hooves. He then slammed his fist into the ground to lift a chunk of rock from under him and toss it into another group, decimating them. He swung his fist backwards and crushed two more guards. He went to bring his fists down on more of them, but a blast of solar magic pushed him back a few feet.

"YOU WILL NOT HARM ANY MORE OF MY SUBJECTS!" Celestia roared in the Royal Voice, firing blast after blast into Doomsday. Doomsday roared as his answer and began move forward, taking step after step towards Celestia despite the power she was blasting at him. He managed to walk right up to her and brought both fist over his head, preparing to finish Celestia. But before he could, the remaining guards tackled him and held on the best they could. Doomsday began to thrash, tossing off most of the guards.

"Princess, run!" one of the guards yelled before a spiked fist slammed into his head.

"We'll try and hold it off!" another yelled as it charged the monster, only to be crushed under foot. Celestia, after watching her ponies and her guards getting killed, finally snapped. She shattered every inhibitor she had placed on her magical energies and let her full power flow, her body turning a golden color with solar energy radiating off of her. She roared in rage and slammed into Doomsday, knocking him back from the guards. She grabbed Doomsday with a golden claw made of pure fire, burning the creature’s skin right off its bones. She gripped him tighter and tighter, trying to crush the life out of him.

"You will burn for what you have done," she said to him in an emotionless whisper. Then Doomsday roared and started to struggle, trying to break free of Celestia's grasp. She was about to laugh at his efforts when she noticed that his skin was changing. The parts that had been burned away were starting to grow back and were changing in color, from grey to an odd blackish-red. With one more attempt, Doomsday shattered the burning claw and barreled into Celestia, pinning her to the ground with his foot. He began to swing lefts and rights at her, pounding away into a barrier that she barely threw up in time. In her most powerful state, she was able to hold the shield for a few more seconds. Doomsday cracked the shield with a powerful right hand and went to shatter it with a massive left.

"TIA!" A blast of pure lunar power slammed into Doomsday, tossing him off of Celestia. She gingerly got to her hooves, turning to see her sister land beside her. Luna was an ethereal blue color and her mane shown like the stars in the sky. Her eyes were pure white and a ghostly aura radiated off of her.

"I see you are using you Solar Empress form," Luna said with a smile, helping her sister to remain standing.

"And you are using the Lunar Liberator form. I'm surprised you have enough power stored up to use it," Celestia responded weakly.

"I was going to save it for when I need to beat you at the Crystal Empire games, but I figured now's a better time," Luna said with a smirk, which turned into a snarl when Doomsday got back up, roaring at the two.

"Do you think you can keep up?" Luna asked her sister, looking at the bruises on her body.

"I'll do more than keep up!" Celestia screamed, firing a blast of fire into Doomsdays body. But unlike the last time, the fires didn't even faze him as he charged towards the two princesses. Luna stepped forward and sent her own magic into Doomsday chest, burning up the skin on his front. He roared in rage as his body began to heal, making Luna growl.

"What is this thing made of?" she asked as both she and Celestia took to the skies as Doomsday attacked again. He started ripping chunks of pavement out of the ground and chucking it at the two, who easily dodged the projectiles.

"HA! Not so easy when you can't hit us!" Luna taunted, laughing at her foes disadvantage.

"Luna, please don't taunt it. We don't know what it will-" Doomsday roared again and slammed his fist into the ground, the shockwave launching him towards the two.

"Again with this trick! What makes you think that this time it will-" Doomsday waited until he was as close as he could get to the two before he slammed his hands together with all his insane might. The resulting shockwave not only knocked the two princesses out of the air, but it tore up the city as well. The two sisters screamed as they were tossed into separate locations. Luna smashed into a coffee house while Celestia crashed into the side of a bank. Doomsday landed in the center of the city and started to march over to where Luna had landed. She groggily got up and snarled as Doomsday got closer.

"You think you can defeat me, creature? You will learn my true power!" She charged all her magical might into her horn and let loose her final move: the Lunar Galaxia Storm. She fired off the spell into the sky, summoning storm clouds from her magical energy alone. Following the clouds came the light show, as hundreds of dark blue lasers descended upon the city, destroying everything they touched. Normally Luna never used this move in a populated area, but this city was no longer populated.

"DIE!" she roared as she channeled the rest of her magical energies into aiming all her lasers onto one spot. All the hundreds of laser that had been destroying the town now were all moving onto one spot. Doomsday looked up to the sky and roared in defiance as hundreds of the most powerful lasers came crashing down on him, bathing him in a blue downfall of pain. He skin started to turn to ash as he tried to make his way forward, eyes never leaving Luna. He marched through the lasers, losing more and more of his body, but still managing to press on. Luna couldn't move if she wanted to continue her spell, so she could only watch as Doomsday got closer and closer, reaching out one hand to grab her. Right before he grabbed her, a blast of the whitest flame consumed Doomsday, pushing him back into the center of the lasers, allowing Luna to unleash her full power.

"GGGGGRRRRAAAAAHHHHH!" The lasers all merged on one point, blasting what remained of Doomsday into practically oblivion. The blast from on high shook the very land to its core, collapsing any of the buildings that hadn't already fallen. And kicking up one impressive dust cloud. When all her power had been used up, Luna's body returned to normal and she collapsed to the ground. Celestia ran over to her side to make sure she was okay while also keeping an eye on where Doomsday had been blasted.

"Lu-Lu, are you alright," Celestia asked, looking over her sister for any signs of injury.

"I'm fine, Tia, but I won't be using any magic for a while," she replied with a slight laugh. She struggled to get vertical while Celestia supported her with her wings.

"You look terrible," Celestia said sadly.

"You should see the other guy," Luna smirked, pointing towards the smoke cloud. She was right and as the smoke cleared, all that remained of Doomsday was his skeleton, which lay smoldering in the center of a massive crater.

"You know, despite it being our enemy and that it practically killed everypony here," Luna said softly, looking around at all the bodies created in the fight. "I actually have to respect its tenacity. Nopony had ever survived in the storm for that long." The two looked one last time at the skeleton, the bone deformities and the blades all over its body making it look like a giant buzz saw. The two smiled at each other and started to walk off to where the remaining guards were hiding.

…rrrrooooaaaarrrrr...

"No..." the two whispered, turning back to the skeleton. They had hit it with everything they had, with attacks so powerful that not even the strongest of creatures could survive. There was no way that it could be alive. And yet it was. The two watched in horror as flesh began to reform on its body, covering the skeletal structure within seconds. Its muscles regrew as well, seemingly larger that last time. After a few terrifying seconds, Doomsday was almost fully healed, but this time his skin was both a dark red and a deep black. He had evolved. Smashing one spiked fist into the ground, Doomsday pushed himself back onto his feet, turning towards the two stunned princesses. He opened his red eyes, which narrowed in on the two. Targets re-acquired.

"Father help us," Celestia whispered as Doomsday roared again and charged the two. Celestia barely had enough strength to teleport the two out of the way before Doomsday collided with them. They reappeared on the top of a building only barely standing.

"How so we stop that?" Luna asked in disbelief as the beast started to look around for them.

"I...I don't know," Celestia replied, looking up to the moon which hung over them. Then she looked out to the sea which the city was built over, an idea coming to mind. "Alright, I have a plan. Can you perform the Blood Moon?"

"If given time to charge, yes," she replied weakly." Why? What do you have in mind?"

"We're going to give this beast a burial at sea," Celestia responded with a smile. Luna looked to the sea as well, a smile forming on her lips as well. Celestia left her sister on the roof tops to go and distract Doomsday, while Luna started charging power under the moon.

"Now you face the ruler of Equestria!" Celestia said as she descended in front of Doomsday. His eyes narrowed at the sight of her and his flexed his hands, cracking his knuckles. He stared to march forward, eyes locked on Celestia. She stared right back into his eyes, what she saw was shocking, but not entirely unexpected. There was no emotion in those eyes, no soul. Only death.

"I pity you creature. You are only a machine, no soul, no emotion...no nothing," Celestia taunted, trying to enrage the beast. But just as that black heart never faltered, Doomsday's face never changed as he roared and charged the princess. She took to the sky, but this time he was ready. He lept into the air and intercepted Celestia midflight grabbing her with both hands, preparing to crush her.

"And you fell for it," she said with a smile. In a flash of darkness, Celestia was gone and standing behind her was one very angry Luna. Her entire body was glowing red and her eyes crackled with rage. And to top it all off, her moon was now the same blood red color.

"Farewell, beast," she snorted. A column of red energy erupted from her body, blasting Doomsday in mid-jump. The raw energy should've torn Doomsday limb from limb, but he had become immune to Luna and Celestia's attacks. But he was still susceptible to force and the force of Luna's attack blasted him across the city and straight out over the cliff, where he fell into the ocean with one last roar. Celestia and Luna both landed on the cliff face, both staring out to the ocean.

"Did you do as we planned?" Celestia asked her sister, panting heavily.

"Two hundred tons of solid magic, giving him a one way trip to the bottom of the sea," Luna said with a smile, breathing just as heavily as Celestia. "He won't get out of there."

"Let us hope not," Celestia said with a frown, looking around at the remains of the city, parts of which were still burning. "Heaven knows I probably wouldn't be able to stop it a second time."

"You stopped it? If my memory recalls, I was the one who blasted and tossed him over a cliff. I think this one goes to me, sister," Luna said with a forced smile, hoping to raise Celestia's spirits. Celestia gave her sister a weak smile and the two turned towards where the rest of the guards were.

"Yes, I suppose I must give this one to you," she said with a small sigh and a smile. "Good job, little sis." The two walked away, both supporting the other as best they could. While they walked off, deep below the ocean’s surface Doomsday was being crushed by the oceans pressure. Well, he should have been, but his skin had already adapted to this pressure and it now meant nothing to him. His biggest problem was the magic that was bound to him was dragging him to the bottom of the ocean, which meant that his targets were getting away. So by summoning all his strength, Doomsday managed to break free of the magic binding him, an effort that cost him both his arms. While those set to work regenerating, Doomsday began to swim to the surface, his goals having changed. His priority was still to wipe out all targets, but two targets had taken place over the others. The two ponies that had de-railed his purpose must be dealt with. And while he knew not where they had gone, he knew he would find them again. And even though he had been fighting in a weaken state, he would be strong soon enough.

Targets acquired.

{S}

Billy and Spike had been left alone again as Twilight had to head to stay in Canterlot to await the arrival of Celestia and Luna, who were returning that night. While Spike had passed out almost the second he hand laid down in bed, Billy lay awake on Twi's bed, the arguments from earlier still playing in his mind. He still hadn't decided whether the pony had been right or not, but he would have to decide sooner or later. He sighed and sat up, looking out the window at the moon.

'It is not easy being all-powerful, is it?' Billy practically jumped out of his pants when he heard the voice. He turned around to find the silver pony from his dreams sitting beside him, gazing at the moon as well. 'To have all that power, yet afraid of what my happen if you truly let loose.'

"Yeah," Billy said carefully, watching the pony. "Um...who did you say you were again?"

'I did not say. You, however, Billy Batson, are a very interesting mortal. Gifted with powers far beyond what you were born with, you are one of the few I have met from another world who fight for others with these powers, not to further your own plans.' Billy heard the words she said, yet her mouth never moved. From what he could tell from under the silver cloak, she was a pony that was completely white, glowing with an odd otherworldly power. She also had no cutie mark, yet ther was designs of sorts all over her body. And she gave off an...aura that made his skin crawl.

'No doubt with your connections to magic, you can already tell that I am not of this world?' He nodded. 'I cannot tell you who I am or why I am here, but I can tell you this. A darkness is coming and you are the only one who can stop it. But first you must learn the most powerful magic of all.'

"And what would that be?"

'If I were to tell you, you would not believe me.'

"Oh, that's fair," Billy said, rolling his eyes.

"Who are you talking to?" Billy looked over at Spike, who was sitting up in his bed with an annoyed look on his face.

"Um, the pony?" Billy said with a grin, pointing towards the silver pony. Spike squinted his eyes and then shook his head.

"You should get some sleep, you're hallucinating," he grumbled, turning back over and drifting off. Billy looked from him the mare in confusion.

"He can't see you?"

'I only can be seen by those I choose. He has not been chosen...yet.' She turned her hooded face towards Billy who, while unable to see her eyes, could feel them looking through him. 'I also cannot help with you with your issue on whether or not you should take life. That is your choice. But no matter what you choose, please remember that there is a greater magic that you must learn if you wish to save this world.' Billy looked out the window again at the moon, which had reached its peak for the night. When he looked back to the pony, she was gone.

{S}

The same dream as always. Billy was walking down a street with who he assumed was his parents. They were both laughing and talking, not knowing of the impending doom. Just like every time he had this dream, Billy tried to warn them, tried to tell them to turn around. But they never did, they always walked on, until they reached the place where they would both die. A man stepped out of the shadows and said something. His dad got angry and tried to rush the man, but was instantly struck down. His mom screamed, only to have the same fate bestowed upon her. The same dream, but with a twist this time. This time Billy wasn't defenseless. This time he could fight. He yelled out for SHAZAM and attacked the murderer, smashing his stomach with his fist. The criminal barely had time to gasp as Marvel shattered his spin, but that was only the beginning. As the dream began to fade, the last image was Marvel beating the helpless man senseless.

Billy woke with a start, breathing heavily and sweating. He looked down at his hands in the moon light, hands that in his dreams had been covered in blood. Was that the real him, someone who would kill if his rage consumed him? He wasn't sure, but he knew that he wouldn't want to find out. He rolled and went back to sleep, not noticing that the moon was, like his dreams, blood red.

{S}

Billy didn't remember falling asleep, but it must have happened eventually, because he awoke to the sounds of birds chirping and the smell of breakfast. He sat up and stretched, looking over at Spike to find that the little dragon was no longer in his bed, odd since it seemed early. He looked out the window towards the town, where the warm light of the sun bathed everyone in its warmth. He would've enjoyed the sunlight for a few more seconds, but his stomach reminded him that he was hungry and that there was food downstairs. Billy hoped out of bed, fixed his hair the best he could in the mirror and jumped down the stairs, skipping a few at a time. He landed at the bottom and stood up to look around the kitchen, his eyes widening at what he saw.

Four alicorns were sitting in the kitchen, all looking at him in amusement.

Author's Note:

Now before I get a bunch of comments saying how Celestia and Luna could never defeat Doomsday, allow me to defend my choice. Doomsday was severly weakened after being brought to Eqestria, just as Billy was when he first arrived. the difference is Billy could regain all his strength with a word. Second, Doomsday is Kryptonian in nature, which means he has no resistance to magic. However, all the two princesses could do was temporarily stop him, as well as making him immune to magic. Don't worry, he'll be back to full strength soon. Soon.