• Published 2nd Mar 2013
  • 4,306 Views, 64 Comments

The Best things are a Rarity - mlpserenity



Rarity and Applejack have been married for over 2 years, but what's this? Rarity is pregnant?

  • ...
10
 64
 4,306

A friend in need indeed

The walk to the library took an eternity, to Rarity's mind at least. Every couple of paces, she would begin to reconsider going to see Applejack. To console her, to hold in her embrace, to show her how truly loyal to her and only her she was. Alas, the image of Applejack crying, a look of utter betrayal on her face, had embedded itself into the back of Rarity's eyelids and was beginning cause tears of her own. However, she knew that a little time was the best thing for both of them right now. Time for Applejack to have to herself, but more importantly time for Rarity to figure out how her pregnancy had come about.

It was late into the afternoon. Something Rarity was thankful for since she didn't want to have to show her face to the townsfolk. Not because they would simply speculate, but because they would actually offer to help her. She really didn't want this to be know to too many people just yet.

The library had only recently closed it's doors for the day, but she knew Twilight would welcome anyone in who needed a helpful hand or an ear to listen. Rarity knocked on the door and Twilight answered, "Sorry, the library is closed for the day. Returns can be dropped into the chute on the left. Carefully, if you wouldn't mind."

"It's Rarity. May I come in?"

Rarity tried her best to hide the sorrow in her voice. When Twilight opened the door, she knew she hadn't done very well. The concerned look on Twilight's face told her so. "What's wrong Rarity? Did something happen ", Twilight asked while escorting Rarity inside to have a seat. Rarity remained quiet for a moment, still trying to figure out the best way to word the situation. "Can I get you something to drink? Some tea perhaps? ", asked Twilight, trying to ease Rarity into talking.

"No thank you dear."

When Twilight finally sat down herself, Rarity began, "Twilight, Applejack and I went to the hospital this afternoon."

The word hospital didn't imply anything good to Twilight, especially given Rarity's behavior. "Are you or Applejack hurt?", Twilight quickly interjected, already fearing the worst.

"No. I had slight nausea this morning and at lunch, so Applejack insisted we go to the hospital, ever the worrywart." Rarity couldn't help but smile for a second before continuing, "The doctor said that I am... pregnant."

Silence betook the room once again for a few seconds, then Twilight leaned forward, grabbed Rarity's hooves and gave her a huge smile, "Congratulations!." She mentally scolded herself for screaming, but she shushed the voice because she was just really happy for a friend.

The smile and joy didn't last too long as her mind began to connect the dots. Rarity is here, clearly sad and distraught. She is here alone, without Applejack. Applejack...

"Rarity?", Twilight gasped a in shock as it all came together, "Did you have an affair?"

Rarity's eyes went wide. Her loyalty and love for Applejack had been doubted for the second time that day. "Twilight. How could you even think that I would ever do such a thing to Applejack?", she wailed as tears began to roll down her face. Do they all think what I feel for Applejack is superficial?

Unsure of what course of action to take Twilight simply inquired, "But you and Applejack are both mares. How else is this possible?"

Rarity looked at Twilight with watering eyes, "I love Applejack. I would never even dream of hurting her. She was my first true love and she will be my only."

"So.....you didn't cheat on Applejack?"

"No!", Rarity screamed while continuing to cry.

Twilight sighed deeply, "I believe you Rarity."

Rarity looked up, almost in disbelief, "Y-y-you do?"

"Yes. In case you forgot, I was an attendee of yours and Applejack's wedding. I was truly proud to be your mare of honor. More importantly though, I was there when you and Applejack exchanged vows. There wasn't a single dry eye in the room, not the Princesses and certainly not you and Applejack." Twilight smiled, remembering that day. "I, as well as everybody else who attended, saw that what you and her have is something really special. It's true love."

At that point, even if only for a few seconds, some of the tears Rarity shed were of joy, as she remembered the day she and Applejack got married. The tears of joy that Applejack shed when Rarity told her and the whole world how much she truly meant to her. The smile on Applejack's face when she said, "I do". The happiest day of her life. "Thank you Twilight."

Twilight nodded and gave Rarity a few moments to relax herself before continuing. "So if you weren't unfaithful, how could this have happened?"

"That's the reason I came to you first, Twilight. I was hoping that you or your library would hold the answers to that one."

"Let's find out."

Twilight began to levitate a few books to hers and Rarity's side. "These are all the books I have on reproduction and parenting."

"Sounds like just the place to start", Rarity said as she began to pick up a book and begin looking for the answers she and Applejack needed.

After a little over two hours of skimming through about thirty books, Twilight announced, "I'm sorry Rarity. I don't think there is anything about your situation in any of these books." Feeling defeated, she closed her eyes and sulked as Rarity began to fear the worst for her and Applejack's relationship.

After a while, Twilight's eyes shot open as she though of the last bastion of hope that they had. "We could ask Princess Celestia."

Rarity nodded and Twilight levitated a scroll, some ink and a quill to her and began writing,

Dear Princess Celestia,

Rarity and I are lost and we need your guidance and knowledge. Rarity found out today that she is pregnant. I dismissed the obvious thought that Rarity simply cheated on Applejack. I dismiss it because I trust Rarity and more importantly, I know that her love for Applejack is true and infinite. If she says that she has remained and will always remain faithful, then I believe her. However, this still leaves the main question unanswered. How is it that Rarity became pregnant? I have looked through every book that I posses on the matter of pregnancy, child rearing, and reproduction in general.

I hope that you will have insight into this and we await your response. I'm sorry to sound urgent, but I believe a marriage is at stake.

Your faithful student and your faithful subject,

Twilight Sparkle and Rarity Apple

Twilight read the letter to Rarity and she approved its contents.

Since Spike was with the crusaders having a sleep over at Scootaloo's place, Twilight sent the letter via her own magic.

"Rarity I'm sorry, but it is late. I don't think the Princess will be able to find information on this much less send a letter in response tonight. I'm sure you've had a long day and you should go home and get some rest."

Rarity nodded in agreement, "Yes, it has been a trying day". Oh Applejack, I'm sorry you are going through this, but don't worry. I'm sure the Princess will have the answers we need. Though she wanted very badly to believe her own thoughts, she still feared the worst.

Rarity got up to leave and Twilight joined her. At the door Twilight asked, "Do you need me to take you home?", still worried for Rarity and wanting to help her as much as she could through this.

"That's very kind of you, but I think I can manage.Thank you Twilight, for everything."

"Of course Rarity. Anytime."

"You are a true friend." They hugged and then Rarity was off towards home. When she reached her door, she noticed the sign on her door, 'Out for lunch'. The fact that she had lost business for an entire day meant nothing to her at the moment. As she trudged upstairs to her bedroom, the entire day's events replayed in her mind. Applejack was the only thing that occupied her mind as she got into bed. Although it was a warm night, she pulled the covers over her. The thought of losing Applejack made the entire world seem colder.

Author's Note:

Yes, I sent spike and the crusaders away because I'm lazy. Sorry :(