• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 1,183 Views, 60 Comments

Ponies of Grimrock - Homage



Thrown into a dungeon for crimes they may or may not have committed, four prisoners vow to escape Mt. Grimrock and earn their freedom. Based on the game "Legend of Grimrock."

  • ...
2
 60
 1,183

Trolololo

Chapter 8: Trolololo

The four reached the bottom of the smooth tiled stairs. They were greeted by a large, strangely clean chamber lit by wall torches. A single pillar sat in the center of the room, strategically placed to reinforce the structure and prevent collapse. On the far wall was an empty alcove. They could see large wooden doors on either side.

Seeing no monsters, the four decided to check out the door on the left first, as it was the closer of the two. They found it secured by an iron keyhole, similarly to the one they had encountered earlier. An engraving next to it read: “All too often, one turns back only to realize that they were running circles around the obvious.”

Twilight Sparkle thought hard on this. “It's a puzzle; that much is clear,” she stated to the others.

“Well, the other door is fairly obvious,” suggested Spike.

For lack of a better plan, the four headed over to the other door, only to find that it, too, was locked. However, rather than being made of iron, the keyhole was made of tarnished brass and didn't seem like it would fit the same type of key.

“Uh... now what?” asked Big Mac.

“Hmmmm...” Twilight thought aloud, pacing around as she usually did when in deep thought.

However, Twilight's pacing had been reduced to a short shuffle around the small distance her chains could afford. The clinking was driving Spike bonkers. He lazily followed Twilight around in circles with his eyes, trying to tune out the annoying sound. Around, and around, and around, and around... Wait...

“I've got it!” Spike suddenly piped up, startling Twilight and causing her to jump about six inches before the chains yanked her back down.

Without allowing Twilight or the others to respond, Spike continued: “Maybe we're supposed to run around in circles. I mean, the puzzle did mention running in circles.”

“Great idea, Spike!” Twilight said, patting him on the head. “But then, what would the word 'obvious' be referring to?”

Spike, Iron Will, and Big McIntosh simultaneously pointed at the pillar in the center of the room and said, “That.” They all went bug-eyed at the strange coincidence.

“Dudes, that's creepy,” said Spike.

“Eyup,” agreed Big Mac.

The four prisoners walked to the pillar and began to go in clockwise circles around it.

After the third pass, they heard a sudden “whoosh!” accompanied by a brief flash of light from the alcove at the north wall. Heading toward it, they found an iron key, which would fit the lock on the left grate. Gripping the key in his claws, Spike and the others headed to the keyhole. Spike slid the key into the lock and gave it a turn. Immediately, the wooden door rose, with the key permanently stuck in the lock.

All that lay beyond the door was a dead end filled with a strange, blue aura. Stepping into the aura, the group suddenly found themselves in an entirely new room, this one smaller and much brighter.

The prisoners' sudden entrance had somehow not alerted the resident zombie. The undead servant just continued staggering about in circles, its decaying jaw hanging low from its rotten face. In the ample light provided by the wall torches and the blue glow of the crystal in the corner, the zombie's features were easier to make out. Its dark outline stood out clearly against the light tan tiles that covered every surface of the room. Bits of brown and black tattered cloth still stuck to the stained green and black patches of hair, the remains of clothing or perhaps armor. Its gender was impossible to determine. What few teeth it had were a sickly yellow; its blackened dry tongue lolled limply over the slacked jaw. Its eyes were a pure milky white. There were no visible pupils in the filmy orbs.

The walking corpse had one ear missing, the bleached white skull visible underneath where it had fallen off. It also lacked a tail, though the previous zombies' tails had consisted only of a short, fleshy appendage with bits of hair on it. Its hooves were shriveled and cracked. The front right one bore the usual rusted blade; the parts not covered completely with the orange corrosion glinted a silvery gray in the ambient light. It appeared to be an earth pony, but it was also possibly a unicorn or pegasus with missing parts. Like all zombies, it appeared to have no cutie mark. What struck the group as most disturbing about this specimen is that the cutie mark did not appear to merely have fallen off along with decaying flesh. The dark indentation of a collection of strange symbols adorned both flanks of the zombie, cutting deep into the flesh.

What separated this mark from a cutie mark, aside from the fact that it appeared to be carved into the flank, was that it was not mirrored on opposite sides. The symbol bore the same shape and orientation on both sides of the undead creature. It seems that the cutie mark had been burned off, then the mark carved over the burns. The scar tissue on the surrounding area suggested that the burns were inflicted weeks or even months before death, but the mark itself looked postmortem. There was also an ornate brass key hanging from a string around its neck, most likely to open the door in the large chamber.

Satisfied with the unimpeded examination, Twilight whispered a signal that it was time to deal with the monster. Nodding in agreement, the four charged forward. Big Mac lowered his head, impaling the zombie on his spiny helmet. Iron Will dealt a powerful chop of his axe, slicing the creature's head off, but not before it slashed its knife across Big McIntosh's unarmored face, leaving a bloody gash between his eyes. The stallion's blood dripped down from the ragged wound, staining the light tiles with small splashes of red, like a leaky can of paint. He clenched his teeth at the fiery shot of pain that continued even after the damage was dealt.

After removing the key from the zombie's neck, the party began to search the room for anything of use. Big McIntosh staggered and fell. Checking his breathing, Twilight found he was still alive, but in critical condition.

“It burns, it burns...” he moaned deliriously, as Twilight took a better look at his injury. “Poison” she determined. “Their weapons must be poisoned.”

Twilight's healing spell wasn't capable of handling poison.

“Could we make some antivenom?” Spike asked.

Suddenly, Twilight regretted letting Iron Will cook all their snail meat. She let out an exasperated sigh. “Well, at least we have the crystal over there. Let's hope it can resurrect ponies as well as it does for dragons.”

“Iron Will has an idea!” the minotaur interjected, picking up Big Mac in his muscular arms. He lumbered toward the glowing crystal, dragging the other two along with him.

Placing the unconscious red stallion next to the magical artifact, Iron Will touched Big Mac's hoof to the object. Immediately, blue sparks breathed from the object into the pony, engulfing his body and brightening the room even further. The sparks surrounded his wound, closing it and mending it shut. Big Mac's eyes opened as he returned to consciousness, his strength and stamina fully restored.

“Hmmm.... so the crystals can heal, too,” Twilight mused. “Fascinating.” She really needed to get this technology back to outside world. The number of lives that she would save might somehow be able to make up for the life she took. Maybe...

Iron Will smiled at the fully head Big McIntosh, offering him a hand. “Get up guy, you didn't die!”

Grabbing Iron's hand with an outstretched front hoof, Big Mac was hoisted up by the strong minotaur.

Spotting a note lying next to the crystal, Twilight picked it up. The small roll of parchment was old and weathered, and looked as if printed by machine.

“Life Crystal: Restore your energy and life in a single touch! How to use: Touch the crystal while it is glowing to be filled with energy from the world beyond. Your purchase of the deluxe model will enable you to heal the severest injuries, and even reverse death itself*! Note: Product has a recharge time of approximately five minutes, depending on environmental conditions.
*Within three hours.

Side effects may include: nosebleeds, stiffness, and an uncontrollable urge to break out into song and dance. If any of these effects last more than four hours, please get immediate alchemical help.

We do home installations! Call (rest of note is torn away)

Twilight was struck with confusion. A dead civilization had perfected the recipe for immortality? Then why was it dead?

Spike popped her thought bubble. “Are we done here, Twilight? Because I want to stop here for the night... or whatever time it is. It's nice and safe, and it's next to a crystal.”

“I'm fine with that. How about you two?” Twilight asked Big Mac and Iron Will.

“To do your best, get some rest!”

“Eyup.”

Spike took note of some Grim Caps he saw growing in the corner. They would eat those tomorrow for breakfast. They removed their armor and equipment and placed it next to them, ready to grab it at a moment's notice. The four lay down next to the glowing blue crystal, allowing the white noise of its soft hum to lull them to sleep.


The four awoke several hours later, well-rested and ready for some more dungeon-crawling. The smooth tile floor was more comfortable than the bumpy, dirty cobblestones of the upper floors, but not by a lot. They stretched in unison, getting the cricks out of their limbs and necks. Big McIntosh donned his helmet and iron horseshoes, clanking them together to test for a proper fit. Twilight slipped on her thick vest while Spike checked the fitting on his leather armor and gave his knives a few practice throws. Iron Will, being a creature of modesty, had not removed his leather pants, so he just gave his axe a couple swings.

Spike lead his party over to the corner, picking the mushrooms and handing two to each. They actually tasted quite delicious raw, though they would taste much better in a fine soup prepared by a master chef.

A quick once-over of the room revealed a hidden button, Spike's now-rested dragon eyes eyes easily spotting it among the smooth marble walls. Pushing it, a wall panel raised up, revealing some goodies. Twilight got a wizard's hat, Big McIntosh some much-needed metal plate barding, and Iron Will a chainmail jacket. Spike was a little disappointed that there was nothing to fit him, but he did find something they all could use: two potion vials. Pulling out the recipe, Twilight mixed up some weapon venom for Iron Will with a half portion of tar root and whole snake fruit. He spread the thick paste on the edge of his battleaxe, giving some to Spike to put on his knives and to Big McIntosh for his helmet spines. By this time, Twilight had finished filling the two vials with fresh energy potion. She gave one to Iron Will and kept one for herself, sliding it into her bag. Finally, Twilight cast her regeneration spell.

Prepared for the dangers ahead, the group stepped back into the glowing aura, disappearing in a flash.

They reappeared in the large chamber from earlier, which was still empty. They crossed it without incident, sliding the brass key into the lock and turning it. The door opened, revealing nothing more than a stone wall with a partially unreadable inscription that read “Prepare your a__s, massive bu____t incoming.”

Before they could attempt to guess what letters used to occupy those spots, a grating of stone followed by a massive roar caught the party's immediate attention. They turned around to face a huge behemoth, easily twelve feet tall. The two horns on his bald head curled angrily to face forward. His gray skin was calloused and scarred, his heavy muscles bulging grossly beneath. Standing on two legs, he clutched a massive stone hammer in one hand, and wore nothing save for a dirty, tattered loincloth and broken, rusted manacles around each limb, which clanked together as he growled. The cave troll bared his horribly rotten and crooked teeth as he snarled at the four prisoners.

“Toys?” Twilight suggested with an equal measure of hope and desperation.

Unfortunately, not every troll was as friendly as Jim. The hulking creature charged at the group full force. Unable to sidestep in time, Iron Will was struck by the huge monster, sending him flying... right out of his shackles. His legs remained chained to Big McIntosh and Twilight Sparkle, severed by the brute strength of the troll. The lifeless corpse smacked hard into the tile wall with a sickening thud, the poisoned battleaxe clattering uselessly beside it. It was up to just three now.

The troll smashed into the far wall, knocking bits of stone and dust from the ceiling. It turned around slowly to face the three prisoners; its blood lust would clearly not be sated until all four were dead.

Spike was the first to strike, hurling his poisoned knives at the troll's fleshy torso. They stuck right in the center of his chest, but they were like bee stings to the massive monster.

Twilight charged her horn and unleashed a fireball that blasted the creature... with no effect. Apparently, they were huge and fireproof.

The giant beast charged again, the group stepping sideways to avoid his path, with Iron Will's severed legs trailing blood behind them.

“I don't think he can change directions while charging!!” Twilight yelled as they dodged another attack. “Hit him as he passes by!”

Big McIntosh heard her words, delivering a strong buck during the troll's next charge. The cave troll, too stupid to change its strategy, continued to run by as the group continued to dodge the obvious attacks in the open space, with Big Macintosh delivered blow after bone-crushing blow. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the monster finally fell, its legs completely pulverized by Big Macintosh's powerful iron-shod hooves.

It wasn't dead, however. It continued to wail and cry in pain, trying to drag itself toward the group. Twilight levitated Iron Will's fallen axe with her magic, and brought it down upon the flailing troll's thick neck. Once, twice, three times... the troll's skin was incredibly thick... but finally, a massive sucking sound as the monster's windpipe was cut. Twilight gave a final, mighty swing, and the head chopped right off, rolling across the floor. The troll's massive hammer fell mightily to the floor as its thick blood poured from the neck, pooling around the corpse.

“Well, that's that, I guess,” remarked Twilight Sparkle, floating the axe over her head along with Iron Will's limp body. “Come on guys, we need to get him to the crystal, quickly.”

Spike and Big Mac simply stared at Princess Celestia's formerly favorite student. Only a week ago, she had been studying, helping out her friends, laughing... Now, here she was, deep in a dungeon, covered in blood from a living creature she had brutally killed without giving a second thought. Even if they did make it out of Mt. Grimrock... what would they lose in the process?

Author's Note:

Author's notes: Holy guacamole, this thing took a long time to get out. I've been really busy lately, and every time I thought about writing the new chapter, I got distracted. Truthfully, I was sitting on the first few pages for the last few months, I've just been putting off finishing it. But I'm going to stay true to my word in the last author's note and keep this fanfic alive. In addition, because of my love of finding references to outside things in fan-fictions, I think it would be a good idea to start listing all the references I make in the author's notes.

The name of the chapter (Trolololo) is NOT referring to the long date before release, it is simply because it contains a troll, and I like to have titles that make sense. I named this chapter long before I fully wrote it. Though I admit the name is rather fitting...

“Dudes, that's creepy.” Line from Owl's Well that Ends Well ssn1ep24, only with “Dudes” instead of “Dude”.

The zombie's “cutie mark” is actually a set of runes from Grimrock's rune-based magic symbols, clockwise starting at the top: life, physicality, death, balance. AKA a resurrection spell, life to bring the physical body of a dead corpse, and balance to keep it between life and death. That combination of runes has no effect in the game.

“Side effects may include: nosebleeds, stiffness, and an uncontrollable urge to break out into song and dance. If any of these effects last more than four hours, please get immediate alchemical help.” is a pretty obvious reference to Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, etc.

“They actually tasted quite delicious raw, though they would taste much better in a fine soup prepared by a master chef.” is a reference to the description of the Grim Caps in LoG, which reads: “A delicious mushroom commonly found in damp underground caves. The legendary Master Chef of Nothampton Palace values them highly as an important ingredient in his finest soups.”

“Prepare your a__s, massive bu____t incoming.” originally read “Prepare your axes, massive burly beast incoming.” not anus and butthurt. Don't have such a dirty mind.