• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 2,528 Views, 137 Comments

My Little Viking: Steel Is Magic - Laarsgaard

  • ...
18
 137
 2,528

War At A Wedding

Three weeks went by in a blur. I spent every day working and training with guards and patrolling the streets in tanks waiting for trouble. Shining Armor was good to his word putting up and maintaining his shield around the entirety of the city. There had been some complaints about merchants and businesses losing customers due to the added difficulty of acquiring raw materials or finished goods now that the wall was up. Shining Armor often left those problems to me because of my superior diplomatic solutions of telling the good folk of the city to shut up and deal with it.

After some time I noticed that Shining Armor was having some difficulty focusing on everyday tasks of handing out orders and managing patrols since the shield had gone up. He explained that the shield was a huge demand on his system and he needed me to help out more. That being said I began issuing orders and commands. The role of command was new to me but I figured as long as I commanded without obvious nervousness and confusion then the horses would listen.

I received a missive that some important dignitaries were coming on the train. There were six of them and they were to be treated with the utmost respect. I hated dignitaries and I could not fathom how Shining Armor enjoyed his position in the slightest. Since having taken over for him Shining Armor used most of his time to fill out the shield and reinforce weak spots leaving me with the boring end of the work which involved disciplinary issues and dealing with the princesses who were not at all cheerful in any way that I had found especially Cadence who preferred some odd pompous name that I refused to call her because it was even more ridiculous than the captain’s name.

I sat in the command seat of a tank and rolled down to the train station. We were part of what was called a convoy and were to provide armored protection for the dignitaries. The missive hadn’t said where they were from or what to expect just that they were important and in charge of the wedding planning.

We reached the train station and I disembarked. I flexed my latest addition to my hand my new thumb. It hadn’t developed fully but was still capable of doing a lot to include weakly holding an axe. Soon enough I would be able to use them both at once and I might be able to reenter my trance state and become one with my animal spirit again.

The train had stopped some minutes ago as I walked out onto the platform. I waited and hoped I would spot the dignitaries when they arrived. I was, instead, greeted by being knocked to the ground by a pink horse who had thrown herself across the platform just to hug me.

“Oh Ol you’ve been gone so long and I missed you so, so, so, so, so much!” Pinkie exclaimed at the top of her lungs. I tried to pry myself from her grip.

“I missed you too Pinkie.” I grunted out as I struggled from her iron like grip. Twilight and the others came up and managed to get Pinkie Pie off of me.

“Well, well, well,” Applejack began. “Look at you all covered in armor, you look rather handsome in such get up.” she said. I looked at Applejack unsmilingly.

“And you look like you wearing your hat.” I deadpanned. I felt confusion to see all six of them.

“What are you guys doing here?” I asked still looking around for the dignitaries.

“We’re here to plan the wedding!” Twilight said excitedly. I reached into one of the small sacks I kept at my belt and read the missive again. I looked up at my friends and back down at the note. It struck me like a kick from Shining Armor, my friends were the dignitaries.

“Well,” I began. “I’m here to escort you to the palace.” Their face lighted with joy and they began chatting amiably with me.

They told me about their goings on of their day to day in Ponyville. They entered their carriage and I asked that they wait a moment so I could instruct my tank pilots to go ahead.

I stepped down and opened the door to my tank and I was about to tell the pilots to lead the way when my newly appointed second in command Lieutenant Twitch handed me a scroll. I unrolled the message and read it. I dropped the parchment and yelled at the pilots.

“Get moving now!” I screamed. I slammed the door shut and ran back to the carriage and drew one of my axes. I turned to the driver.

“Move now, we need to get to the palace.” I ordered him. The carriage took off. Twilight touched my shoulder.

“What’s wrong?” she asked me. I looked at her and decided they should know.

“I’ve been here handling the security and it turns out that we’ve had a fresh threat issued against the city and the princess and all of the citizens.” I told her scanning the area as we began to pick up speed behind the slow tank. Behind us the other tank began to pick up speed to catch up with us.

Twilight asked me more questions but I stone walled her. This was no time to be dealing with her and making sure they got to the castle safely.

Soon enough we came up to the front entrance of the palace.

“Go, go, go.” I ordered them. They girls disembarked quickly. Rarity began to fuss.

“Oh but I’m going to mess up my coat and my mane in the dust.” She complained. The pilots from both tanks disembarked and formed up around us.

“I don’t care get in the palace.” I told them all as we began to move. Up on the terrace above the entrance I spotted Shining Armor in his dress uniform issuing orders.

“Shining Armor!” Twilight called out and broke from the group. I let her go knowing that she was going to be with her brother and who else would she be safe with if not him? I move the rest of the girls inside and shut the massive doors behind us. I relaxed just a bit.

“Lieutenant,” I said. “Yes sir?” Twitch asked with a salute.

“Get the dignitaries to their suite and make sure they are well guarded, the sun is going down and with this new threat out I don’t want them wandering about.” I ordered.

“What about Miss Sparkle?” Twitch asked me.

“Leave her with her brother I’m sure he’ll take care of her.” I told him. He saluted again and ushered my friends off to their rooms.

I set off for the armory which was my impromptu base of operations to see if I could get some information on this new threat.

I entered the forge and headed for the barracks where I had a small desk setup. As I entered the barracks I found Princess Luna in there screaming at some of my officers.

“Can I help you princess?” I asked her. She turned on me her eyes aflame with fury.

“We would like to know what you lazy twats are doing about the threats against ourselves and our sister!” she roared at me. I had dealt with the moon princess before and I was used to her yelling after having been verbally assaulted by her on several occasions beforehand when I had to personally hinder her from doing too many stupid and unsafe things where my men and I could not keep her safe. If they wanted me for security so badly you would think they would listen to me.

“Well princess,” I began, moving around her to see the new sets of papers on my desk and hopefully to cover them up to keep her from blowing them away.

“I’ve just received the news. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are secured and I would think that your sister is as well which leaves only you,” I pointed at her. “Princess out in the open and unprotected.” She was obviously not amused easily.

“We are the lord of the night!” she roared putting a hoof to her chest in defense. “We do not need to be guarded like some foal fresh from the womb!” she continued.

“Shut up!” I yelled at her. Luna stepped back somewhat offended. As far as I knew no one had ever spoken like that to any princess but I knew that people wanted to. Shining Armor complained daily that Celestia could sometimes be rather demanding as smooth and caring as she may appear.

“I am here to help with the security for the upcoming wedding and until this threat against the palace is over.” I said placing my hands on my desk and leaning forward. I could feel the muscle in my bad hand stretch as I leaned on the finger and thumb. “If you don’t listen to me you could be in grave danger. We do not understand the nature nor the size of the actual force that threatens this place but from the looks of it it’d have to be pretty damned big and I’d rather sit in Hel than see that my job goes unfinished. I didn’t ask for this job or to be magically teleported here from my home where my beautiful wife is but here I am and I’m pretty sick of hearing you yell at me and my men who have worked tirelessly to make sure that you and your idiot sister stay safe from something that may be nothing.” I snorted out my nose at Luna.

By now she had sat down on her haunches and was on the verge of what appeared to be tears.

“Okay, I’ll calm down.” She whispered.

“Good.” I said. “Now I’ll take you back to your tower where you can do your duties.” She nodded and stood. I led the way with my claymore in hand. We twisted and turned and climbed stairs until we finally came to the Tower of the Two Sisters. The tower was immense and ancient it had stood for nigh on a thousand years to hear the stories about it and is where Celestia and Luna would take their turns watching over the land whilst their celestial body was in the air. I always harrumphed at the idea of these two controlling the sun and the moon. The planets were pulled across the sky by chariots and chased by wolves. They only imagined they had power.

I left the princess at her telescope and placed a detail at the bottom of the steps. I then headed back to my command center to see if I could get some more information on this new threat. By the time I arrived Twitch had already set up the pictures I would have wanted. Pictures were a new thing I still couldn’t wrap my head around either. All they had to do was point an odd looking machine push a button and with a flash there was an image on odd looking paper that was permanent and in color. I shook my head at the idea. I sat down and began to study the photographs.

“What is this exactly Twitch?” I asked the lieutenant.

“Well sir, it appears to be some form of marking, ritualistic in nature and written some sort of green goop.” He told me. I looked at the marking. It had no real semblance of any shape. It was circular with random lines crossing each other at odd points around the outer ring.

“What are these markings below it?” I asked Twitch.

“Those are some old dialect of writing, from a rather ancient part of Equestria.” He told me.

“Do we know what it says?” I asked looking between him and the photographs.

“Yes sir, it says ‘We are many, we are one and we come for you.’ That’s all.” I sighed out my nose and placed my hand under my chin and thought.

“’We are many…’ I said to myself quietly.” I stood up and began to organize my desk some. “Alright I want full security on all important subjects that is the bride, the dignitaries and the princesses. I want at least four, no, six guards on them twenty four hours a day until they leave the city or the threat has passed.” I looked up at Twitch.

“Get it done.” I commanded.

“Aye sir.” Twitch saluted and ran off.

I sighed again and studied the pictures. Something about this message didn’t sit right with me and I was anxious to face it. I felt something stir within me, it had been far too long since I had killed anything and I hoped I would get the chance now.


The wedding planning over the next few days was going smoothly. I personally accompanied princess Cadence from location to location so she could inspect the preparations and pass her judgment. As the days went on I regretted my decision more and more as she continued to exhibit her self righteous and quite loathsome behavior as she had towards me.

Her only display of kindness towards anyone I had noticed was she had commissioned a new suit of armor for me. This new suit was made had beaten bronze and copper wrapped around the thick steel plates and when polished appeared to be gold. Off of the back of the cuirass hung a cloak of the purest white with the symbol of the nation, a sun eclipsed by a crescent moon with two pairs of wins coming off of the sides one blue and the other yellow with a lance with a star point coming out of the top. I had thanked her graciously for the armor. She responded by saying that I looked like a vagabond and needed something beautiful if I was to escort her.

Finally the day before the wedding had arrived and the rehearsal, another odd tradition, was taking place. I was present so I could guard two princesses at once. Luna was off asleep as she often did during the day. I watched as five of the girls came walking in chatting quietly and excited. I noticed Twilight was missing and felt my gut tighten. This would not go well.

Cadence then came in all primped and prim walking delicately up to stand next to her betrothed. They shared a quick kiss and stood to look at Celestia.

“I’ll say a few words,” she began. “And then Shining Armor you’ll take the rings from the best mare.”

Shining Armor looked behind him where Twilight should have been standing.

“Has anypony seen Twilight?” he asked. The doors to the chamber burst open and Twilight stood angrily.

“I’m here.” She stated flaring her nostrils. The purple pony began to walk forward.

“I’m not going to stand next to her!” she exclaimed. “And neither should you!” she said pointing to her brother. Shining Armor’s face contorted in embarrassment. He looked to Cadence.

“I’m sorry, I don’t why she’s acting like this.” He told his bride.

“Maybe we should just ignore her.” Cadence said. I began to move to overtake the mare before she made and even bigger fool of herself.

“You have to listen to me!” Twilight yelled as she stopped about midway up the room. I finally met her and wrapped an arm around her. She struggled from my grip.

“Ol put me down this instant!” she yelled at me kicking and fidgeting.

“No,” I told her. “You’re making a fool of yourself and as your friend I cannot allow you to do that.”

“But there’s more to it! She’s not who she appears to be!” Twilight yelled as I scooped her up and began to carry her from the room.

“Set her down Ol.” Celestia commanded me. I shrugged and set Twilight down. Twilight pointed a hoof at Cadence.

“She’s evil!” she said. “She put a spell on my brother that made his eyes go-“ she then twirled her eyes inside her skull which was the most disturbing thing I had ever seen in my life. Shining Armor, however, had had enough.

“Twilight, you come in here and disrupt rehearsal to tell us that my bride to be whom I love more than life itself is evil and you use a spell she cast on me as proof. Well did you know that since I’ve been maintaining the shield wall that the expense is so high that I had to hand over most of my captains duties to Ol so that I could rest and even then I get terrible migraines and Cadence’s spells have been healing me as best as they can.” Twilight looked crestfallen at being berated by her brother. Cadence ran from the room in tears. Shining Armor went after her but stopped next to his sister.

“Maybe you shouldn’t come to the wedding at all.” The stallion left and I followed him behind us came my friends followed by the princess.

“How could she say such things?” Rarity asked from behind me. I didn’t answer her, but I was surprised by Twilight’s behavior as well. The wedding hadn’t even started and it was a disaster already.


I could not sleep through the night. The threat had me on edge and most of the other guards as well so I tripled the patrols around the grounds in case of any actual attack. I watched the sun rise and the festivities began.

Hundreds of ponies began to flood into the city through the various gateways we had set up around the city limits. I had given the guards specific orders, if anyone got too pushy or too loud or began too much of a fuss they were to be ejected from the city limits. I made sure all of the patrons knew that too by making all of the offenders prime examples and public shows of being thrown out of the city and not allowed to return.

I personally stood watch outside Cadence’s door. The only pony I let in was Rarity to help with her dress. After Rarity left there was only a few minutes left before the ceremony began and I couldn’t have been more nervous. If there was any time to attack it was now. I was the only guard near the door for some distance. Most were out in front of the palace or making patrols around places where intrusion was the most likely.

Celestia had forbidden me from posting more than three guards inside the ceremony chamber to include myself. So I had Twitch find our best two for the job. The first was the pony with the eye patch by the name of Spalding. He had seen some fights in his time and he was a good sort to have a drink with. The next was a big brute of a stallion named Gorge. Gorge had been born some distance from here and had traveled specifically for this job and he was recruited on the spot. It was said he was the only pony the captain could not best in the ring.

I knocked on Cadence’s door.

“Your highness, it is time." I said through the door. I had heard some commotion from inside but it turned out she had only kicked over a mannequin in her excitement. I led the way for her to the chamber. She came behind me singing. The song was odd as she was singing to some weird far off beat and she would sing a verse and then pause and then take up again. The song itself was about how she wanted the groom all for herself and how she had found it hard to love anything because she had a small heart. I looked at her confusedly.

“Are you really singing?” I asked.

“Shut up.” she ordered me. I turned back around and opened the massive door and let her through. I shut the door and took my place up on the dais behind the bridesmaids.

The ceremony began and Cadence began singing again. I looked around at all of the other occupants. None of them noticed that she was singing, loudly, about how she had won the groom. I was perplexed but figured it was a pony thing and kept my mouth shut.

The ceremony was almost concluded when the doors burst open. Twilight came in.

“Stop everything! She’s an imposter.” Twilight yelled, I groaned. I had hoped to avoid this again. But I was surprised to see another Cadence come up from behind Twilight and support her claim. This Cadence looked disheveled and dirty like she had been in a dungeon.

“Seize her.” The new Cadence ordered. I drew my axe and looked to my fellows.

“Seal the door.” I ordered them. They both moved and shut the massive door and placed a heavy bar across it. I began to move when the Cadence on the dais began to glow green and transform. I stepped back and prepared to strike at whatever came out of the whirling green torrent.

Cadence’s form grew and changed. Her legs stretched and became perforated, her body elongated and darkened, her hair became pale and green. The transformation took all of a few seconds and before me stood an entirely different creature.

She was as tall as Celestia except she shone black like a beetle. Her wings were pale and filled with holes as were her limbs. Her horn was long and crooked with twists and curves.

“Ah, I finally get to unveil my true beauty.” The newcomer purred. “I am Chrysalis.” She said turning to me. Her horn began to glow and she fired a beam of energy at me. It struck me full in the chest and sent me flying into the wall. I smashed into the wall and fell over unconscious.

My eyes fluttered open and were met with green. I tried to turn my head and found my movements had become sluggish and subdued. I could breathe well enough through the morass but actually moving beyond here felt impossible. I pushed out with my hand and met solid resistance. I slowly managed to inch my face to where my hand was to find that some sort of stretchy barrier held me captive.

I did not panic. I slipped my good hand down and pulled my remaining axe from my hip and attempted to cut through the barrier with the blade. The blade slipped and slid from my grip against the impossibly smooth surface. I tried to reach out to the axe but it had fallen beyond my reach. Now I began to panic.

I felt around for any kind of grip or any piece of armor I could remove to use similarly. I was relieved to find my sword still strapped to my back. I tried to draw the blade but I was too limited by the small space. I reached for my chest where the blade was tied across and found the leather knot. With some degree of difficulty I managed to undue the strap. I felt the sword begin to slide from my back. I whirled about and grabbed the hilt to halt its progress.

From the other side of the barrier I could hear voices but I could not make them out. I doubled my efforts to free my claymore from its scabbard. I pulled inch by inch up the blade and after some time I was rewarded with a blade I was free to swing.

I grasped the hilt and pulled the blade as far back as I could and positioned the tip up against the barrier and pushed. The steel couldn't penetrate the wall and only succeeded in focing me further back until I was up against the opposite side. I had an idea. I climbed my feet up the wall behind me while still holding the blade up against the far side for leverage. When I felt secure I pushed my sword again. The barrier began to stretch from the force exerted on it. I found myself fully extended with both of my hands on the end of the hilt. I had to get just a little further. I drew my body in and with one final effort I used all of my power to extend my body and thrust the sword.

I heard a squelching noise and the blade was through. I howled triumphantly and began to pull the blade down beneath me. The barrier split like parchment before the castle steel and the green fluid poured out like blood from a wound. Little too late I realized I was going with the goop and was pulled out of the sack with the flow.

The ground came up to meet me quickly. I slammed into the floor and felt several painful pops in ribcage. I shuddered at the pain but still managed to come up to my knees. I brought my gaze up to see what was left of the ceremony.

The crowd stared between me and this Chrysalis in awe. All of my friends were bound to the ground at their feet with similar colored material along with the real Cadence. Chrysalis herself was standing at a window looking down at the destruction and chaos she and her brood were causing outside. Behind her stood two of her beasts. They both turned and hissed at me.

I struggled to my feet and took up my claymore again. Within me I could feel a familiar presence stirring. I found it strange as I had not performed any of my rites in some time since coming here and yet I could feel the bloodlust again. I smiled. I ignored the pain in my ribs and took up a two handed grip. No matter how strong my one hand was an extra thumb and finger always helped.

I began to move slowly towards the monsters behind their mother with slow and fluid movenments. Time seemed to slow as I felt adrenaline pour into my system flooding my brain with thoughts of blood and flame. The two beasts began to slink towards me.

These things were rather ugly to look upon. They were about the same size as an average male pony of this world, they had pale, see through wings and small horns upon their heads. They shined like beetles as they moved and their eyes seemed to have multiple surfaces and were colored an alluring light blue. I could smell an odd stink on them like that of a rotting corpse. One opened its mouth and I could make out sharp, black fangs that glistened with spittle.

The one on the right launched itself into the air spreading its wings in a mighty display. I waited until it was almost upon me and dropped the sword to catch it in my arms. The thing struggled and kicked as I dug for purchase on its black plated body. I hooked my bad hand around the base of a wing and used my good hand to go for an eye. The beast squealed as my forefinger dug into the meat of its eye. The eye did not give way easily as I dug my finger deeper, twisting and curling the digit violently to get to the things brain. Blue and black ichor which stank even worse than the beast began to spit from the eye and hit my face and chest, but I was too involved with my task to be distracted.

I finally found my goal as my finger made it clean through the eyeball. I curled my finger and pulled. The eye came out with a loud pop and the beast roared its pain to its fellow. The other beast lowered its head and charged me. The beast's blind charge was a perfect way for me to be rid of my first opponent. I stood my ground and braced myself as the the small horn entered the lower back of the now one eyed fiend. There was another loud roar as the first beast keeled over spewing fluid from its head and back.

I looked upon the last creature. It was shaking its head dizzily and was obviously in pain. I stepped forward and used my good hand to grab its horn. I slammed the thing to the ground and took my bad hand and shoved it into the beast's jaws. I thanked the gods for strong gauntlets as I hooked my thumb around the outside of the upper jaw and my forefinger into the thing's nostril. My good hand I used to wrap up the lower jaw. I sat upon my victim's chest and used my knees to hold down its forelegs.

Using my hands I held apart the jaws and began to twist and pull on the bottom one. The creature began to buck and squeal as I tried to tear its jaw off. I was unpreturbed as my work went on. I could hear gasps and cries all around me as I finally freed the jaw from its mooring. I looked down upon the pathetic thing as spittle and blue blood spurted from its missing jaw. The thing's tongue writhed back and forth as clear fluid cascaded from its eyes. I had caused it to suffer, how unfortunate. I raised the jawbone over my head and rained down repeated blows upon the beast's head. Bone slammed into bone over and over again each time with a loud pop as the jaw caved in the skull.

I stood. I was covered head to foot in stinking blood and bodily fluids. I stooped down and grasped the hilt of my blade. I turned to see Chrysalis with a horrified look upon her face. I could see my friends with similar looks. I smirked and popped my neck. Chrysalis wasted no time and fired another beam of energy at me. I rolled away from the attack. As I hit the ground I heard a pop in my shoulder that belonged to my bad hand. I felt all the energy and power to the arm drop dramatically. I ignored it like I was with my burning ribs that only grew hotter with each breath.

I came up from my roll and started running dragging my sword behind me in my good hand. Chrysalis fired again and again and missed both times. I ran up the small steps of the small stage and swung my sword. My training had helped me wonders thus far and my arm was still strong enough to deliver one blow at least.

Chrysalis caught the steel on her twisted horn. I pushed my face in close to hers.

"Give up," she commanded. "You've already lost." She hissed at me. I smiled again, she was within reach after all.

I released my grip on my sword. Chrysalis stumbled into me and bumped into my head but that was no matter as my good hand wrapped around her horn. My grip tightened and I turned at the waste bringing her down. She lay on her side about to move when my knee came down on her throat. I could feel my heart racing and my blood pounded in my ears my vision had tunneled down so that the only thing I could see was my enemy and the color red.

I relenquished her horn and slapped her face. She looked up at me disoriented from the blow. I pulled my hand back and formed a fist. She quailed and feebly tried to escape again. I brought my fist down into her face and I felt her snout give way much the same as Johan's nose all that time ago. I rained blows down upon her beating her face into pulp.

After so long I had to stop and catch my breath. I looked down and was shocked to see that Chrysalis still lived. Little remained of her face and I could make out a piece of her brain. I looked at my fist and saw that the metal had sheared away and my skin had become exposed and that through my beating I had broken a few knuckles and bruised the flesh around.

I looked back down at Chrysalis and she whimpered and flinched away from my gaze. My heart began to beat again until I heard the tiniest voice in my ear.

"Use my love..." was all I could make out and then I was blinded by a woundrous, white light. I put my hand in front of my face to protect my eyes. I couldn't see anything and then a huge force struck me and all was darkness.

I came to for the second time that day and saw that I was still in the room where the wedding ceremony was supposed to be held. Above me the ceiling danced wildly as the room spun. My shoulder throbbed angrily and my ribs felt like pieces of molten steel within my body. Twilight stepped into view as the crowd had begun to empty. I noticed some of the ponies were pointing at me and giving me odd looks.

“Oh hello Twilight.” I said not looking directly at her.

“Hello Ol.” She said gently lifting me with her magic.

“To the infirmary then?” I asked her knowing we were headed there immediately.

“Yep, and thank you.” She said.

“For what? All I did was kill two of her minions."

“You provided a distraction enough for my brother and Cadence to cast a spell." she told me as we moved along casually.

“Well, I apologize for not believing you when you first said she was evil.” I told her. She waved me off.

“Don’t worry, you weren’t the only one, I mean come on, she even had my brother fooled.” I chuckled and winced at the pain in my side.

“That she did.”