• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 2,827 Views, 56 Comments

These Lives We Live - Sir_Fredrick



Rainbow Dash tries to sort through her thoughts, realizing she has a crush on her friend Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
12
 56
 2,827

Asking a Favor

Rainbow Dash tore through the sky at mach speeds, well outside ponyville's city limits.

The early morning winter sun was still climbing over the mountains in the east. Rainbow Dash was high enough that she caught the first rays of sunlight before the rest of the world below. The rays of heat felt good on her ice cold skin as she spiraled upward, leaving a rainbow trail in her wake, fizzling out shortly after. Dash flared her wings, slowing her speed considerably before bursting through a small cloud and coming to a rest on top of it.

She looked down to the south at ponyville, still dark and lifeless with its snow filled streets. Most ponies wouldn't be up this early, It being the middle of the winter holidays, but Dash had been up all night. Yesterday's small storm had caused a wall in her home to all but dissipate, letting the harsh cold of winter in. Her cloud home wasn't the warmest of places at the best of times, but with her wings, and several layers of blankets, she made due. Adrenaline had kept her warm and awake for the night, but fatigue was starting to catch up to her, and as she laid her head on the the soft cloud, she felt like she could nap through the winter.

A cold gust of wind blew past her. She shivered so much she sunk into her napping cloud, causing her belly fur to dampen with moisture.

"Okay. Not the best idea. Time to go home." Dash pressed off the cloud with her hind legs, rolling forward off the cloud, and somersaulting through the air for several metres before straightening out. She dived head long towards the ground until she flared her wings and glided off towards ponyville faster than most pegasi would ever care to go.



Dash entered her house from where the window into her room that she always used would have been, had the entire wall not been caved in. Dash sighed. Another gust of chilly air whistled through her room. The blue pegasus shivered, and tightened her wings around her body for warmth.

"Guh. Guess I won't be sleeping here today...Tank?!" Dash yelled out. No reply. "Of course he can't answer, he's a turtle. Right." She said to herself. Dash descended to the lower level of her house, looking for her little green shelled friend.

The house was a mess. Pizza and mail boxes filled each corner of the house. Socks that she never wore littered the staircase. Her floor might as well have been made of sports magazines and the odd newspaper.

"Tank?! Taaaa-oh there you are." The tortoise was encased in his shell in a corner of the living room. "Hey Tank, wake up." Rainbow prodded his shell with a hoof. He poked his green head out from the cover of his shell. He had the same dopey look on his face that Dash had come to love.

"Hey dude. I'm thinking maybe we should ditch this place till I can get that wall fixed. Whaddya say?" Tank stared at her with a small smile. She knew what he meant.

"Yeah but where do we go? Rarity's? I'm sure I could 'convince' her to let us crash for a few days. Heh heh." Tank's smile vanished.

"Oh come on! You know her and I have a thing!" Dash looked up to the corner of her eye. "Sort of." Tank made his best attempt at a hissing noise, and swatted at her with one of his forelegs.

"Right... Opal. Forgot about her..." Dash thought about where else she could crash for a few days. Pinkie is a lot of fun, buuuut there's such a thing as too much Pinkie Pie. AppleJack would most likely make me help on the farm in exchange for a room. I guess that's not so terrible, but it'll most likely cut into valuable nap time. Fluttershy's cottage is always nice and warm.....But the smell...

"Okay. What about Twilight's? I'm sure she won't try to dissect you...Unless you suddenly start casting spells. In which case, all bets are off." The little green tortoise's smile returned.

"Perfect! Lets go." Tank kept up his smile, and slowly brought his head back into his shell. He wasn't coming back out.

"Ugh. Fine. Lazy turtle." Dash picked up her pet in both forehooves, and set a course for ponyville's library.



The trip was already short, but being back out in the cold had encouraged the pegasus to pick up the pace. She hovered just outside the library door, with Tank in her hooves.

"Okay, how should I go about this." She asked herself as she kicked the door three times with her hind hoof. Just ask, What's she going to do? Say no? That wouldn't be rude? Dash, you need a place to stay. You're not asking for her first born foal. "Right." She rationalized with herself. Dash heard noise from inside, and soon after Twilight opened the door, a mug of coffee magically levitating behind her.

"Hello? Oh Rainbow, its you. What're you doing-"

"Hey Twi." Dash said as she flew over the purple unicorns head, into the library. Ah geez, was that rude?

"Sorry Twilight, but its cold out there."

"Uh, no problem." Twilight said, closing the door. "What are you doing here so early in the morning though? And...why did you bring Tank?" Dash set Tank down on the floor near one of the bookshelves. She turned back to Twilight.

"Yeah...Ya see. My house sort of, collapsed into itself last night. And I was wondering if I could stay here for a few days?" Dash grinned a wide and hopeful smile.

"Oh, of course Dash. It shouldn't be a problem. I'll have Spike get the spare bed ready for you." The blue pegasus spiraled into the air. "Sweet! Thanks Twilight! I-woah." Dash felt dizzy, and her vision blurred black. Her wings gave out, and she fell from the air. She landed on the edge of the table in the centre of the room with a crash and bounced off, landing on her back, staring at the ceiling, as the opposite end of the wooden table lifted into the air for a moment before dropping back into place with a loud thud.

"Rainbow!" Twilight cried. The unicorn ran over to her pegasus friend, and stood over her, inspecting for injuries. "Dash, are you okay?!?" Dash looked up at her purple friend. Her similar colored eyes staring down at her.

"Heh heh." Dash giggled, disoriented from the fall, and gently touched her friend's muzzle with a poke of her hoof.
"You're so cute when your worried." Wait what did I just say? Dash shook her head before rubbing the area of it that she had landed on. Owwwww! "Ugh. I mean, I'm fine."

"What happened Rainbow? You just kind of...fell." It was then that Twilight first noticed the dark bags under Dash's eyes. "Rainbow Dash, have you been up all night?"

"Heh, yeah." Dash put a hoof to her chest in an act of pseudo-pride. "I was busy training, and learning some new stunts." She paused for a moment. "Plus...its kinda hard to sleep when your house is an ice box."

"Dash this isn't good. You're over-tired. You need rest."

"I'll be fine Twi, after that, I don't even feel tired anymore!" Rainbow Dash sat up, pushing her friend off herself.

"Rainbow, that's just adrenaline. You cant run on it forever. You need to-"

"I'll be fine, Twilight!"

"You need to rest, feather brain!" Twilight said sternly.

"Look just step off!" Dash yelled loudly, finishing with a heavy sigh. Twilight stepped back, a worried look on her face.

Oh real nice Dash. Just go ahead and yell at your friend who was nice enough to let you stay in her home. She was telling me what to do! Because you're being stupid! You really do need to sleep. Yeah but- Shut up and apologize.

"Twilight I...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you." Dash looked down with a sigh and regretful eyes. "I don't know what came over me."

"Its Okay Rainbow. You're just irritable." She said softly. Twilight stepped closer to her friend, and put a hoof on her shoulder. "Trust me, I know what its like. Remember when I thought the world was going to go through some disaster because of future Twilight?" Rainbow Dash looked up into the unicorn's eyes, and both ponies chuckled when they recalled the memory.

"Oh yeah, hahaha! That was a crazy few days. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I came by tuesday morning, and no one was here."

"Yes, and I...Sort of caused it. Again." Twilight let out a shameful, and exasperated sigh.

"Hah! What!?" Dash yelled. Twilight explained to her blue pegasus friend how she used a time reversal spell, and set all the events into motion by her own hoof. By the end, Rainbow Dash couldn't help but roll onto her sides, giggling at her friends misfortune.

"Oh Twilight. You-You pffftchhahahahaha!" The purple mare smiled down at the pegasus.

"Okay, Rainbow. Its not that funny." She said, giggling herself.

Shes so cute when she giggles like that. Shes always adorable, idiot. Yeah but, even more so......Did it just get warmer in here?



"Augh! Would you two shut up! Its 7 am!" Spike appeared at the top of the stairs, rubbing his eyes free from their slumber. "Seriously. Some ponies." Spike grumbled, before he descended the stairs and walked into the kitchen.

"Spike, would you mind fixing some breakfast for us?" Twilight called to Spike.

"Us? Didn't Rainbow Dash eat before she came here?" He yelled back.

"Dash, did you eat?" Twilight realized she forgot to ask.

"No. I didn't realize it till now actually, but I'm starving." Dash picked herself up off the floor again. "I'll have whatever you're having."

"Two bowls of hay and milk, Spike!"

"Yeah Yeah!"

"Now, Rainbow. About-" Twilight started.

"I know Twi. I'm an athlete, I know how important proper rest is." Dash admitted with a sigh.

"Then why did you..."

"I don't know. I guess I wasn't thinking about it. And then when you tried to tell me what to do I just kinda snapped. It was stupid, I know." There was a long pause before either pony spoke.



Spike walked in from the kitchen, holding a bowl of hay cereal in each claw. He set them on the table that Dash had almost flipped over previously.

"All right." He said. "What were you two yelling about earlier? What's up?" Rainbow Dash walked over to her bowl, and started on it.

"Err. Nothing Important." She lied.

"Actually." Twilight began, magically levitating her own bowl. "Rainbow will be staying with us for a few days, until she gets her house repaired." She said as she took her first spoonful.

"Oh." Spike stared at the rainbow pegasus. He leaned over to Twilight, and whispered. "She's not going to be doing air stunts in the house is she? It's hard enough cleaning up after just you. I don't think I could deal with a daily house tornado."

"Spike!"

"What? We've had to re-shelve the bookcases more than once because of her." Spike shrugged.

"Never the less, she is our guest and we'll do our best to make her feel at home." Twilight said, rather Rarity-esque.

"Could you two please not talk about me like I'm not two feet away." Rainbow interrupted in between slurps of hay.

"A heh-heh." Twilight blushed. "Anyway, Spike? Would you please prepare the spare bed?"

"Actually...You kind of lent it to Cloudchaser a few weeks ago. Remember? You teleported it to her house yourself." Twilight's face blanked.

"Oh....right." Twilight paused, magically bringing another spoonful of hay and milk into her mouth. "We'll I'm sure we can figure out something."

"Don't worry Twi." Dash flipped over their heads, having finished her breakfast. "Me and Tank can take the floor. I've slept on trees before. Sleeping in one can't be much different." Twilight was about to argue, but she caught herself before she spoke. She had a better idea.



"Well then Rainbow, perhaps you'd like to catch up on some reading?" She asked in a way and with a grin that made Dash eye her up suspiciously. Twilight was never a very good liar, and almost always transparent in her schemes.

"IIIIIII don't know..." What's she planning? Maybe it involves her bed. Shut UP, brain.

"Come on Rainbow! Its too cold to do anything outside this early, and Spike and I have chores."

"All right, I guess." Whatever, I'm probably just over thinking it. Twi wouldn't trick me like that. "I was on, uhh. Daring Do and the Emerald Elephant." Wait. Chores. Should I help? But chores are hard! And Twilight's the one who offered the option. But I'm staying here...for nothing! I should help out. Next time. There's Daring to read.

Twilight grabbed the specified book from a shelf magically, and brought it over to Rainbow Dash.

"Here you are Rainbow." Dash took the book in her hooves, and sat down, opening the books spine to a random page.

"Thanks!" Rainbow started to scan the page but Twilight gently placed a hoof on it, making Dash look up at her.

"Actually, Its kind of chilly in here. How about you come sit near the fireplace?" Twilight suggested, again with that suspicious grin of hers.

"You have a fireplace?" Dash eyed the unicorn.

"Yes, and don't worry. Its was constructed so it wouldn't burn down the house, and its magically protected for added security."

Why would it burn the house down?...OH! Its a tree. Right. Fires and trees don't usually mix too well.
"If you say so." Dash followed Twilight to the fireplace, with the book held in her teeth. During their short walk, Dash's eyes were caught by Twilight's swinging rear.

Enjoying the sights? Yes. I mean!...yes. You like her. What? Twilight. You like her. You want her. What! No way. She's too nerdy and smart for me. I'd never stand a chance. No I mean I wouldn't be interested! Riiiight. I'm not!



They reached the fireplace, a few already charred logs sat inside. Twilight added a couple fresh ones, and quickly set to making her horn glow a hot white. A few sparks clicked over the logs, and then a small flame burst across them.

"There. That should-" The flames flickered violently before extinguishing themselves. Twilight reeled in embarrassment.
"A heh heh. I'm still working on my pyro kinetics." Rainbow Dash gave a muffled chuckle through the book in her mouth.

"SPIKE! FIRE!" The little dragon appeared in an instant.

"Really? Its not even cold in here." He said in a dead pan.

"It's not to you because you're cold blooded, Spike. Ponies have a naturally higher body temperature and thus-"

"Alright alright, I get it. Its too early for lectures" Said Spike, waving her off. He inhaled heavily, and held it for a moment before exhaling a stream of green flames. The logs ignited immediately. The fire was as green as Spike's breath for a few moments, but with every second it burned into its natural orange-red.

Twilight sighed. "Thank you Spike. Now Rainbow, can I get you anything else?"

"Nmph." Dash set the book down on the floor. "No. I should be good. But let me know when Tank wakes up. I should go grab his food when I get the chance." Twilight nodded, and started off to start her chores. "And Twilight?" The unicorn stopped, and turned back to her friend. They both smiled. "Thanks for letting me stay here. It was really cool of you." Rainbow didn't know it, but a slight rose tint was covering her cheeks.

"Anything for a friend Rainbow. Now get some res-err...Hope you enjoy your book!" Twilight ran off to some part of the house, leaving Dash alone in front of the fire with her book. She opened it and flipped around until she found the last page she remembered reading, and laid down to enjoy the adventure.



"But if there was one thing Daring hadn't accounted for it was time. Time would play-"

I don't suppose Twilight would wanna...Nah, she's probably not the type. Probably more of the romancey, be-with-me-forever type of mare. Still. I would wreck that mare. I bet she would be into some real kinky stuff, being cooped up in this library, all alone.. And that crazy magic of hers could be used for some-.

The fire crackled, and Dash looked up from her book, and stared into the flames, heavily flushed in the face. Celestia damn it dash. Okay. So I think Twi is a smokin' hot mare. No big deal. I think a lot of mares are hot, it doesn't mean anything. Except when was the last time you felt like this? Dash groaned, frustrated with her thoughts. She felt heavy eyed, and laid her head on the page of the book she was reading.

Whatever brain, think whatever you want. Maybe I should talk to someone about this? Another opinion might be refreshing. You know what you want, go get it. Shut it, not doing that to Twi. Why not, It worked with- Not. Doing. That.

Dash kept this course,mentally arguing with herself, not noticing how heavy her eyes were getting. When her eyes finally closed, she was fast asleep in an instant. Twilight probably wouldn't appreciate the drool coating her book.

Author's Note:

Well. This is my first fic in a long time. My first pony fic too. All in all I feel its okay. It feels rushed to me, but I guess its just an introduction for the places I want to go. Let me know what you think.

And to anyone wondering, no Dash isn't a schizo, that's just her thinking to herself. =p

EDIT: Fixed the format a bit. No more wall of text!