• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 2,827 Views, 56 Comments

These Lives We Live - Sir_Fredrick



Rainbow Dash tries to sort through her thoughts, realizing she has a crush on her friend Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
12
 56
 2,827

Betrayal of the Heart

Rainbow laid on the soft, over sized bed, wide awake with her fore legs wrapped around Rarity and her belly pressed tightly against the unicorn's back. She lifted her head slightly to look at the clock hanging on the wall.

8:30 p.m. She dropped her head to her pillow once more. I can't believe I let this happen. I'm so weak willed. How could I... But was it worth it? Well it was great but, why do I have this feeling like I've done something terrible in my gut? Just ignore it Dash... No. I have to break this off. Now.

"Rarity? You-" There was a lump in her throat, like she was holding back a sob. She swallowed hard, and tried again. "Are you awake?"

"Mmmh. Of course, Rainbow Dash." Rarity breathed quietly.

"We... need to talk." Rarity rolled over in place, bringing their muzzles together.

"Ooh. You're not usually one for pillow talk." Rarity looked into Rainbow's eyes. They held a sorrow she couldn't comprehend, and had the beginnings of tears in them. "Dash, is something wrong?" Rarity's tone shifted from soft and affectionate to worried and caring.

"No, I mean, yeah. I don't know..." Dash choked, looking down. "Its stupid." Tell her anyway. I can't, I don't know how. Just do it.

"Please Rainbow. I want to help. What's wrong?" "Rarity pulled Dash's head gently to face her again. "Tell me what's wrong. I care about you, darling."

"I... I" Dash bit her lip, as tears streamed down her face. "I feel like I've done something terrible." Rainbow Dash broke down.

"Rainbow, its alright." Rarity pulled her in a tight embrace. "Sshhh. Its okay Rainbow. Tell me whats wrong."

"No!" Dash pushed herself away from Rarity. "This is what feels wrong. It feels like, like I've betrayed her." Rarity recoiled at Dash's words. I'm not making any sense...

"W- wrong? Betrayed who?" Rarity felt hurt, and some semblance of anger, but Rainbow needed her to listen. And she would help her friend.

"Which is stupid! Because we don't have anything. We aren't together. She doesn't know about this, and probably doesn't even care!" Rainbow cried loudly, letting go of restraint. "Then why! Why does it feel so terrible! Why does it hurt like this!"

Rarity embraced her friend once again, hugging her tightly. Rainbow weakly tried to push her away, but soon conceded.

"Its okay Rainbow Dash. Let it out. I'm here for you." Dash cried into Rarity's shoulder. Her sobs halted any attempt at speech she made, and for a long time, she let her tears flow freely.





The clock ticked to 9:05, and Rainbow sobbed one last time, Rarity comforting her by stroking her mane.

"Better?" Rarity asked.

"Yeah..." Rainbow Dash sniffled, taking a step away from Rarity. The two lied on the bed, Rarity crossing her hooves. "I'm sorry Rarity, I don't know what came over me." Dash held her head low.

"Its okay Rainbow. We all need a good cry sometimes. Who- umm... what brought this on?"

"Truth be told Rarity, I..."Do it. "Came here to end, what we have." Neither pony said anything, and neither broke eye contact.





Rarity sighed, breaking the silence. "I figured, from your outburst earlier. May I ask, whatever for?" Don't ask her that! You already know why...

"There's... another mare. And when the decision came down to her and you, I... I'm sorry Rarity."

"I... see. Have you two, consummated your relationship?" Rarity gasped. "And I, I forced you to-"

"No! Rarity, we....I haven't even told her how I feel. I don't even know if she feels the same. Which makes it even stupider considering how badly I over reacted!" Rainbow planted her face in the bed and groaned. "I'm so dumb."

"I don't want to hear that from you Rainbow Dash! The feelings of the heart are deep and complex. You were simply doing what your heart desired, no?" I wish I could do the same.

"I...guess? Maybe? I don't know. It just felt wrong. It felt like I betrayed her."

"Or perhaps you betrayed your heart."

"What?"

"Nothing darling. Do you mind if I ask who-"

"Twilight."

"Huh?"

"It's Twilight."

"Oh..." Well, that explains a few things... "Do you love her?"

"What! No! That's...I couldn't."

"And why not?" Why not me? "You two are very close, and you've spent a lot of time together." I wanted us to be together. "Especially lately, ever since you started reading books." I've tried my best to keep you close, but not hold on too tightly. "I've seen you over there more than once, and more often than not, you two were having some sort of conversation." What did I do wrong? "Whether it was about the weather, how troublesome your mane was being that day, or whatever your newest aerial stunt was." I want you Dash. But, I suppose that will never happen now. "You were talking like a pair of star crossed lovers. If that isn't something, then call me a novice of romance." The realization hit Rarity as hard it did Dash. Rainbow stayed silent, darting her eyes to the corner of her eye.





"Face it Rainbow Dash. There's some connection between you two. And based on your manner earlier, I'd say you, at the very least, care for Twilight deeply."

"Then what do I do, Rarity? How do I..." Rainbow asked.

"Be yourself Dash. Tell her how you feel."

"I'm no good at that mushy stuff. I'd probably make a fool of myself." That sounded pathetic...

"Rainbow Dash. You are one of the strongest mares I've ever met. When has looking stupid ever stopped you from doing something?"

Did she just call me... No, she's right.

"Don't think about it Rainbow. Just look inside yourself, and do."

Rainbow Dash sighed, and smiled. "You're right Rarity. I guess I've got to stop moping, and just get it over with." She jumped forward, wrapping Rarity in her fore hooves. "Thanks. You really are a great friend, Rarity." And I really mean that. "And I really mean that."

"A heh, just helping, Rainbow Dash. Now go on. You've got a mare to romance." Her voice sounded strained. Rainbow jumped away, and with a beat of her wings, flew over to the window she had come in through hours prior. Her hoof hovered over the lock.

"Rarity. Are we... are we cool?" I totally ignored her feelings, didn't I? "No hard feelings?" Rarity looked up to her, closing her eyes, and with a tilt of her head she said.

"No hard feelings Rainbow. Consider our little relationship, over and done with. I had fun, while it lasted." Rainbow smiled, and opened the window.

"Later Rar. See you around." and she was gone.






I'll miss you... Rarity closed the window behind Rainbow Dash. She turned away, and her head lowered, as tears welled in her eyes.

"If you love something, let it go..."

There was a knock at the door a few minutes later. "Oh? Who could that be? And at such a late hour." Rarity rubbed her eyes dry, and hurried out of her room, down the stairs to the first floor of her boutique. She opened the door, and there standing out in the frosty, stormy winter night, covered with a scarf and saddle, was Twilight Sparkle. Her hoof raised up in the air, ready to knock on the door once more.

"Twilight!" Rarity gasped in surprise. "What are you doing here?!?" Wait if she's here now...Oh dear.

"Hey Rarity. Can I a-ask a favour of you?" Twilight asked, muffled by her scarf and chattering her teeth in the cold.

"Oh, uh, of course darling." Oh this is so terribly awkward... "But please do come inside, it must be below freezing out there."

"Thanks Rarity." Twilight stepped inside, and pulled her scarf down from her face.

"Now, what is it that you need, dear?" Rarity asked, still a little nervous. Why you, Twilight? Of all the mares, it had to be you.

"Well I just got a letter from the-" Twilight stopped, and sniffed at the air. "Ugh. What is that smell?"

"Smell? What smell? What do you mean? I cleaned the boutique not six hours ago!" Twilight sniffed again, tracking the scent. She leaned in towards Rarity. She instantly covered her nose, magically moving her scarf back over her face.

"Rarity! You smell like you ran the running of the leaves five times over! How did you get so... sweaty?"

"I- wha-" Rarity was appalled at the allegation. She lifted a foreleg, and smelled herself. She wrenched away. Vile! But how did this happen...Oh. Rarity giggled her nervous giggle.

"Uh, well you see Twilight. I was, uhm...Do you know how hard it is to make a dress? All that running around, grabbing cloth, separating fabrics. It can be absolutely exhausting sometimes. I've been working all day and night. I was absolutely wrecked tonight!... I mean I am an absolute wreck!" She did her nervous giggle again. Oh Celestia this is awkward.

"I'm sorry Rarity. I guess I never really realized how strenuous making dresses is..." Twilight said, still holding her scarf over her nose. Rarity trotted over to a small cabinet. She magically picked up some perfume, and gave herself a few sprays.

"A heh. Hopefully that will do for the time being. Now, what did you come all this way in the cold for, Twilight?" Twilight lowered her scarf warily.

"Like I was saying. I got a letter from the princess earlier. She want's to see me. Tomorrow. I'll most likely be gone the whole day."

"And what is it you need from me, exactly?"What is it about you that enabled you to steal Rainbow's heart from me?

"I want you, to watch Spike while I'm gone, if you could."

"I'm sorry?"

"Well, not watch exactly. Just make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. Just check on him a few times?"

"Won't Rainbow Dash be there dear? Couldn't she watch Spike while you're away?"

"How... did you know Rainbow was staying at my house?" Oh no...Think fast Rarity!

"Pinkie...Pie?" Rarity said, grasping at straws. Twilight brought a hoof to her lip.

"Hmm. That's right, she was there today." Rarity sighed silently. "But that's actually the reason I want your help. Spike on his own, probably wouldn't do anything that dumb. But under Rainbow Dash's influence?" Twilight shuddered. "That's a disaster waiting to happen."

"I suppose," Rarity giggled again, this time out of real amusement. "Very well Twilight. I will check on Spike and Rainbow Dash tomorrow, and make sure they don't destroy Equestria. And to make sure Rainbow Dash confesses her feelings to you...and not me.

"Great! Thanks Rarity! Hey, speaking of Spike. He wasn't here today was he?"

"No, Why would he have been?"

"He told Rainbow Dash he had "guy" stuff to do. And he hasn't come back yet."

"Oh my. We'll, I'm sure he's alright Twilight." Get over yourself Rarity. Rainbow Dash is gone. It's time to move on...

"I'm not too worried. He's been disappearing a lot lately. I honestly thought he was here all those times."

"Here? Why would he come here, Twilight?" Twilight stared at her friend with her best 'seriously' face. "What?" Rarity asked, a little bit offended.

"Nevermind." Twilight said, shaking her head with a smile. "Thanks for your help Rarity. Hope those two aren't too much trouble." Rarity pulled her scarf back up to her face, and magically tightened it. "So long Rarity."

"Do take care Twilight. Keep safe." Twilight waved herself off, and left the boutique, leaving Rarity alone with herself.

"Upside, I guess I'll be the first to know if Ponyville has a new pair of love birds. Downside..." Rarity sighed sadly letting her head hang for a moment, but quickly she picked herself back up. "Right... bath time."

Author's Note:

A shorter chapter. Reason it took so long was because I've written most of the next chapter as well. Should be out soon.

I had trouble with some wording, and properly expressing some things I wanted to. I don't think I did it exceptionally well, but I hope it still gets the message across.

Thanks for reading. Constructive criticism welcome!