• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 2,157 Views, 26 Comments

Friendly enemy - Cone of Wonders



a changeling who goes by the number 011, is banished from the hive and is brought in by a friendly pegasus named Fluttershy who makes it her mission to see if she can make even a deadly enemy into a caring friend.

  • ...
4
 26
 2,157

Tough Love

The Yellow pony's eyes slowly opened and saw the white rabbit on her chest. The rabbit jumped off of her, allowing her to sit up. She had a pink mane and her eyes were blue. "Oh, Angel! Is everything okay"? She said in a soft voice. The rabbit, now known as angel, just pointed to the changeling which was still having trouble believing how much trouble the little rabbit had caused him. 011 quickly got over it, remembering that the pony had seen him, and took a battle stance as though expecting the yellow pony to attack.

"You're awake!! Oh thank goodness, I was so worried"! The changeling was caught off guard by her words. He softened up and stared at her as though she had gone insane. "What do you mean worried"? 011 asked with a hint of confusion. The pony got out of her bed and stood before him. It turned out she was a pegasus pony. "Well, its just that I've never really treated a changeling before. I didn't know how to take care of you, as least not properly, and I thought you were going to...". The yellow pegasus said becoming more worried with each word she spoke. She then calmed down, not wanting to finish her sentence. "But at least you're safe now. That's all that matters". The yellow pegasus started to walk over to the changeling who saw this as some form of attack and backed away into a battle stance once again, not sure if this pegasus was either super friendly or just crazy. The pegasus stopped, thinking that she was scaring him. "Oh dear, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you".

011 decided that now would have been a good time to flee but first, he wanted some answers. "What do you expect to gain by keeping me alive. Do the Canterlot guard pay well for healthy prisoners"? The pegasus looked a little worried. "Perhaps you plan on hurting me yourself as an act of personal revenge due to the Canterlot incident possibly"? The pony now felt a little sorry for the changeling as it threw out more wild accusations. "Did you save me just so you could kill me yourself? Tell me"! Said the changeling almost ready to strike the pony where she stood. But what the pegasus said made him soften up.
"Because you need help. I don't care what you did against Canterlot or anypony. You're just as important as myself. Please, let me help you". She said with a reassuring smile. The changeling just looked at her and processed his thoughts. "She does all this because she cares about me? How is that possible?! She should hate me! She should hate my existence! She should be wishing for the extermination of my own species like all other ponies! Why is she acting so kind to me"?

011 sighed and lowered his battle stance, seeing that it was obvious that she didn't mean any harm to come to him. He even allowed the pegasus to continue walking up to him and before he had time to react, she pulled him into a hug. The changeling felt a little odd about being hugged by a creature that should despise him but accepted the hug and after a few seconds had passed, he decided to break it. "Thanks, I guess". said 011 who just stared at the ground. "You're quite welcome". replied the still smiling pegasus. But deep down, the changeling still didn't trust her. Not completely anyway. Fluttershy soon figured this out with her next sentence. "My name is Fluttershy. What's yours"? 011 looked up from the ground, eyed the pegasus, and spoke. "Look, I understand that you may have saved me from dying, but I have been through too much with ponies to truly trust you. And if I ever do decide to trust you, I will only then call you by your name". Fluttershy looked a little upset. He still didn't trust her after she had saved his life. The changeling turned his head over to Angel who was still standing on top of the bed. 011's horn glowed and managed to separate the locket from the rabbits grip at last. Angel then stuck his tongue out at the changeling again before hopping out of the room. He then dropped the heart shaped object into his open hoof. "Di- did I do something wrong"? Asked Fluttershy, hoping to know why he didn't trust her. 011 looked at her with sad eyes before looking back at the locket. "It's not what you've done". He then looked in her eyes once more, this time he was obviously angry. "Its what your species, the unicorns and the earth ponies have done to me, that I can not forgive". He then turned round and began to walk out of the room, until he heard Fluttershy speak.
"Will you at least promise not to leave the cottage"? 011 paused and thought about it. He then remembered his injured back and hoof which would have caused him problems if he did leave. "I don't think I have much of a choice". He said. Fluttershy nodded and headed back into her bed, expecting the changeling to keep his word. "For now". He thought before sliding the locket around his neck and limped out of the room, back downstairs to the couch.

Fluttershy just watched as the changeling limped its way downstairs and gave a weak smile. She knew that she was making some progress with the changeling. At least he promised not to leave the cottage. She then lowered her head onto the pillow and fell asleep.

It was now morning, and Fluttershy had just walked out of the bedroom and down the stairs to find the changeling, still wearing the locket around his neck, sleeping on the couch. She couldn't help but give a small giggle at how peaceful the creature looked. However, that small giggle was enough to wake 011 from his sleep. He looked round and noticed he was still in the cottage. "Great, I'm still here". The changeling muttered to himself sounding a little disappointed. He then saw the yellow pegasus staring at him from across the room.

"Good morning Mr... um... changeling. I hope you had pleasant dreams". said Fluttershy, still trying to be as friendly to the changeling as she possibly could. "Not really". replied 011, who wanted to make as little conversation as he could. "Oh dear. Do you want to talk about it"? Asked Fluttershy, sounding concerned. 011 looked at her with a frown and simply said. "No". Unfortunately for him, Fluttershy didn't plan on giving up that easily. "Talking about it may make you feel better". "I'm pretty sure it won't". "You never know until you try". "I said No"! "Come on". "No"! "Please"? "NO"! "Please"? "OKAY, FINE"! Yelled 011 knowing that the yellow pegasus would never shut up until he told her. His yell was enough to startle several birds from their sleep. "I dreamed that I was in an ugly looking cottage and an annoying yellow pony kept on talking and talking and talking and never left me alone! Happy"?! Fluttershy realized he was right, it didn't make him feel any better, and she herself certainly didn't seem happy after hearing what the changeling said. "Oh, sorry. I- I didn't mean to... upset you...". Fluttershy looked to the ground with hurt feelings. 011 rolled his eyes. "Listen, I'm... I'm sorry. I guess I'm just tired... or something". As moment he said those words, Fluttershy perked up and gave 011 a small smile and asked. "Would you like some breakfast Mr. Changeling"? 011 got off of the couch and stood up. "Yeah sure". He said, not exactly feeling comfortable with being called "Mr. Changeling" He then yawned and walked towards the kitchen.

The two of them walked into the kitchen. 011 sat down while Fluttershy got cereal from one of the cupboards. "Soooo...". Fluttershy began, and was rewarded with an awkward stare from the changeling who was sitting on the furthest chair away from her. "What would you like to eat"? 011 thought for a moment seeing how his usual diet of love was bound to be off the menu. "Toast". He snapped. Fluttershy looked at him with a disapproving stare and crossed arms. "...What"? Asked the changeling, unsure what he could have possibly done wrong this time. "You forgot to say please". Replied Fluttershy.
If the changeling had proper irises, They would have shrunk to the size of pin tips. "You have got to be kidding"! Said the changeling in disbelief. "Then no toast for you mister". Was the reply he got. Honestly, it was hard enough doing it once to a rabbit, now he was expected to say the word once more? 011 moaned as if he was a young colt and muttered. "Toast. Please...". Fluttershy smiled, happy the changeling was cooperating. "There we go. Does that not feel better"? She asked with her sweet sounding voice. "No. No it doesn't". replied the changeling bitterly, shuddering at having to use the P word twice in less than twelve hours.

After Fluttershy had finished eating a bowl of cereal, and 011 done scarfing down his toast within a matter of minutes, they both headed into the main room once again, after 011 was forced to say "May I be excused". Before leaving the table. "So what can I do now"? asked the changeling. "Well, you could... um... feed Angel for me. If you want"? 011 felt his eye twitch at mention of the name "Angel". "I meant something that I would LIKE to do". said 011 knowing how much of a problem Angel had been the first time they properly met. "I know you and Angel got off to a bad start, but if you spend enough time together, maybe even do fun things together, you may turn out to be the best of friends". Said Fluttershy with hopes of the two getting along. 011 however, just stood there, not exactly optimistic about the idea. Fluttershy noticed his look and tried to think of something else. She was then interrupted by 011. "I could just leave this place and never come back again, that seems fun to me". He received another disapproving look from Fluttershy which told him the obvious answer. "Fine"! pouted 011. But before Fluttershy could say anything else to him, there was a knock at the door. The two looked at the door. "Oh dear". said Fluttershy.