• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 2,157 Views, 26 Comments

Friendly enemy - Cone of Wonders



a changeling who goes by the number 011, is banished from the hive and is brought in by a friendly pegasus named Fluttershy who makes it her mission to see if she can make even a deadly enemy into a caring friend.

  • ...
4
 26
 2,157

Hidden feelings

As the pair headed over to the apple stall, Applebloom told 011 about her numerous amount of times trying to earn her cutie mark as she did not have one yet. 011 couldn't help but be facinated as she must have tried over a hundred different things in order to gain it, but in vain. She seemed kind of bummed out as her head lowered and her happiness was replaced with sadness. 011 noticed this quickly. He may have been of a different species but he did feel pity for the child. "Young Applebloom...". Applebloom looked up to the changeling with huge iris filled eyes. "I may not fully understand much about cutie marks; as I myself shall never receive one. But please understand this, your time will come for you to shine like a star in the night sky. As I once said to somepony else not so long ago, persistence can be the key to success. But to only those who are properly prepared for the path that lies ahead. Do you know what I mean young Applebloom"? The filly thought deeply, trying to put together what 011 had just told her. Eventually she looked up and shook her head meaning she had no idea what he was talking about. 011 rolled his eyes and sighed. She was just a filly after all. He tried to repeat himself, trying to dumb his words down so that she could understand. "What I am trying to tell you young Applebloom, is that instead of attempting to find your special talent by attempting multiple random activities, you must plan ahead and focus". "What do ya mean"? asked Applebloom curiously. "Allow me to give an example. What do you consider yourself to be good at"? Applebloom thought hard. She had managed to help buck apples at the farm, rebuild the cutie mark crusader clubhouse when it was given to her and her friends by Applejack and was able to help Granny Smith at making Zap apple Jam. "Well, ah seem to be able to do stuff just fine around the farm".
"Farm"?
"Sweet Apple Acres of course".
"Ah, I see. Well young Applebloom, from what I am able to gather from the information you have given me, it may be possible that your special talent is related to that farm". 011 said believing he had helped in giving her a clue on how she might recieve her cutie mark. However, Applebloom had more to say. "But ah'v done everything ah can do at the farm at least a bazillion times and still ah haven't gotten any cutie mark. So your theory is wrong". 011 face hoofed before turning his head to the apple stall which wasn't too far away now. "At least I have the decency to say that I tried". He thought to himself, giving up. He then gave a small chuckle. "Whats so funny"? Asked Applebloom. "Just being around you young Applebloom. I just feel quite happy. In fact it reminds me of the time when I was told I was to be-". 011 stopped walking. His sudden happiness was replaced by sadness. As though he had just reminded himself of something. Applebloom felt worried for a second as she saw no movement from 011. She tried to speak but it was as though he couldn't hear her. He then looked at his locket which he kept round his neck and held it tightly with one hoof before closing his eyes tightly. And to Applebloom, she thought she could see a tear run down the left side of his face. 011 then quickly snapped out of his zombie like trance as he felt the young earth pony touch the hoof he held the locket in. He looked at applebloom and saw her giving him a heart warming smile. 011 loosened his grip on the locket and let it bounce onto his neck and swing a few times before coming to a stop. "Are y'all okay"? Ask the young filly, keeping her hoof on 011's hole filled one. 011 sighed. "Yes, do not worry young one. I am fine". he weakly said before lowering his hoof to the ground and continued walking, not saying another word until he had reached the apple stall.

What 011 hadn't noticed was that during his talk with Applebloom, was that somepony was now standing behind the apple stall, and it was the pony 011 was not hoping to meet. "What are ya doing here"? Snorted Applejack as she saw the changeling standing in front of her apple stall. "Nice to meet you as well". Replied the changeling cheekily. "Anyway, I had come to buy some apples. I take it you are the one in charge of this stall"? "Yeah, ah am. Me and ma little sister who was supposed ta be taking care of the stall while ah was gone". She said eyeing the young filly next to 011. She smiled sheepishly before quickly trotting over to her big sisters side. "And what were ya doin when I left and told ya teh look after mah apples"? Asked the orange mare. "Ah was just trying ta help ma new friend round was all Big sis. Honest". She said simply. Applejack looked back at 011. She was getting quite mad and 011 could see it in her eyes. She must not have wanted her little sister to be friends with something that was considered to be evil. All she was able to say was. "Stay. Away. From my family". She spoke darkly. 011 narrowed his eyes. "Very well. Bielti'gen tu". "Beehel ta what now"? asked the farmer pony. 011 just walked away. Not back home but towards the outskirts of the town. Applejack watched him go and faced her little sister. She sat down next to her and talked to her. "Listen lil sis. Ah know ya think that that changeling is friendly and all. But he ain't. Ah don't want ya talking ta him anymore. ya hear"? Applebloom stepped back away from her big sister. "Applejack! 011's a nice po... uh... changeling. he's kind and helpful... and... and...". Applebloom remember earlier where she saw a tear drip down the side of the changelings face a few minutes ago. "And he has Feelings too! Ah don't care what ya think of him! He's ma friend and he's got a kind heart and ah'll prove it to you"! Applebloom quickly ran past her big sister who dived to the left to catched her seeing how she was still sitting down and hadn't enough time to sit up. She ran in the direction 011 had gone. All she could hear was her big sister calling for her to come back.

011 had run past the outskirts of Ponyville and into the Everfree forest. Not deep enough so that he'd be lost but deep enough so that he could be alone. He just sat on a log and thought to himself. He just wanted to go back to the hive. That was all he wanted right now as he envisioned it in his mind. Once he would return, he would rid the hive of Chrysalis and 002 would be his new leader. The new leader of all the changelings. And even if he could achieve such a victory, it still didn't matter as the one precious thing he once held onto would still be lost from him forever. He held up his locket and opened it up. He took a long look at what was inside before carefully shutting it and muttering. "I promise I won't give up Sally. I will find a way to stop the tyranny that has taken you". He lowered the locket and looked up to the sky. It was still the afternoon but the day was moving fast. "I owe you that much". *snap* Something had stepped on a twig. 011's reflexes kicked in as he turned round, ready to strike whatever was about to attack him. It was a good thing 011 didn't attack on instinct because standing in front of him was Applebloom. She must have tried to find him after earlier. "Young Applebloom, You should know that the forest is no place for somepony as small and defenceless as yourself". "Ah'm not defenseless". Applebloom pouted. "An besides, Ah thought y'all could use some company. Y'all feeling better"? 011 smiled at her. "I am fine. I just want to go back home". He admitted. "Don't y'all like it here in Ponyville 011"? Asked Applebloom taking a step forward towards the changeling whose smile quickly became a frown. "... I am not too fond of it, I admit that. Not to mention that the residents hate me. It does not matter to me what they think but they prefer to judge on looks instead of their true nature... just like I have. Perhaps 002 was right... No, young Applebloom. I do not like it at all. I'm sorry but that is my opinion". Applebloom looked down, seemingly disappointed. "Ah understand". Was all she said to 011. 011's ear twitched as he picked up some distant noise. It was probably nothing but best to stay alert. He walked over to Applebloom and placed his hoof on her shoulder. This got her to face him as he spoke. "Please understand from MY point of view young Applebloom. Ponies have brought me much pain and misery in my past as well as now with your sister. But you and a rare collection of others have offered me so much. I hope that I in time can return the favor". There seemed to be some sort of grunt noise. Closer than the last sound. Maybe some sort of small wild animal? Applebloom just nodded, accepting his theory. "Okay, ah guesss that's fair enough". Applebloom said before looking down once more. 011 looked behind himself. His ear twicthed as he heard something. Something dangerous "Young Applebloom, I believe you should go".
"Pardon"?
"Just head back the way you came. Now"! His voice was more forceful. "B-but why. Did I do something wrong"? Asked the worried filly. "You didn't... I did". "RRROOOOOOOAAAARRRR"!!!! A huge roar came from deeper within the forest and huge hoofsteps were heard that shook the ground. "We should not have come here! It has my scent"!
"What does? What is it"?!
"You do not wish to know".
The ground shook more violently with every hoofstep taken by whatever was making it until *CRASH* A nearby tree fell down and revealed a gruesome sight. Luckily for Applebloom, the shadows of the trees and thick shrubs covered most of its form but changelings have better vision compared to ponies so 011 was not as lucky. Before him was a huge monster four times bigger than him that was able to stand on its hind hooves with ease. Its fur was black as the shadows that covered it. Its blood red eyes were the most noticable detail on it, that and its sharp white teeth that stuck out at different angles along its gums which poured out huge amounts of drool. Its left forehoof was covered by a huge silver oval shield while the other forehoof had what looked like several blade edges melted into its skin. Most of its gruesome face was covered by a metal helmet. The rest of its body was well protected. This was the Uberling Chrysalis sent to destroy 011.

The Uberling just stood still, analysing the two targets that sat in front of it. It looked back and forth trying to realize which one was its primary target. "Applebloom. Run quick. It won't keep standing there for much longer". said 011 to Applebloom while keeping still "But what about yaself"? Applebloom asked taking a step forward. This was a bad move as the Uberling noticed it and took a step forwad of its own, its hindhoof connecting with the forest ground was enough to nearly knock the poor earth pony off of her hooves. It snarled and raised its blade arm. "I'll be fine. Just go! NOW"! 011 suddenly charged at the Uberling which roared in surprise. Applebloom did what 011 told her and ran for her life back to Ponyville. She didn't dare look back as all she heard was magic shots firing from 011's horn and the Uberling screeching as it tried to slice 011 in half, cutting several trees as it tried.